Debber7

Default Coyote Squash... Newbie

Hi all.. I have some Coyote Squash and have no idea how to prepare it. Could
someone please give me some ideas? Thanks alot.. Deborah
usual suspect

Debber7 wrote:
> Hi all.. I have some Coyote Squash and have no idea how to prepare it. Could
> someone please give me some ideas? Thanks alot.. Deborah

I think you mean chayote, also known as mirliton, vegetable pear, and
christophene. You can use it like any other squash: fry, bake, steam,
stuff, etc. They're especially good stuffed or in stuffings for other
veggies. Here are a few recipes I found, but some of them will need to
be adjusted if you're veg-n. You can look up more if you need ideas now
that you know what it's called.

http://www.pastrywiz.com/archive/chayote.htm
http://www.recipesource.com/fgv/vege...0/rec0031.html
http://www.gumbopages.com/food/veg/creole-rat.html
http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/mirlitonsalad.html

MrFalafel

(Debber7) wrote in message >...
> Hi all.. I have some Coyote Squash and have no idea how to prepare it. Could
> someone please give me some ideas? Thanks alot.. Deborah

Chayote in a Cinnamon Spiced Tomato Sauce

3 chayote, peeled with a potato peeler and chopped into cubes or
675g/1 1/2 lb peeled and cubed marrow
5 baby courgettes, halved lengthways
salt and pepper

For the tomato sauce:
4 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tbsp tomato puree
450g/1lb tomatoes, finely diced
handful of raisins
large handful of coriander leaves, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped

First make the tomato sauce: heat the olive oil in a saucepan and when
hot, fry the onion and garlic gently until soft. Stir the cinnamon and
cloves into the onions, then add the tomato puree, diced tomatoes,
raisins, chopped coriander and chillies together with a little water
to loosen the sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Now prepare the vegetables: parboil the chayote or marrow and the
courgettes in salted boiling water until they start to soften. Drain
and stir them into the sauce. Simmer gently for 15 minutes. Season to
taste.

Serve dish accompanied with sweet potato mashed with olive oil and
chopped fresh thyme and garnish with courgette flowers that have been
gently sautéed in olive oil.

Cueza a la Veracruzana (Chayote Root Veracruz Style)

3 lbs Cueza, peeled and cut in 1 inch slices (may substitute potato)
8 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
4 lbs tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
2 pimentos, cut in strips
1 tbsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 bay leaves
1 tsp oregano
4 tbsp margarine
1/2 cup stuffed green olives, sliced
1/2 cup capers
12 guero chillies (fresh or canned)

Boil the Cueza in salted water for 20 minutes, drain and reserve.
While the Cueza is cooking, sauté the garlic and onion in the oil for
3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the pimentos and
cook, stirring for 2 more minutes. Add the salt, black pepper, bay
leaves and oregano, cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Turn
off the heat. Preheat the oven to 375F. Sauté the Cueza in the
margarine until golden brown turning to brown both sides.

Arrange the browned Cueza in an oven proof baking dish, cover with the
tomato mixture and sprinkle with olives, capers and guero chiles on
top. Cover with banana leave (or aluminium foil) and bake for 25
minutes or until bubbly. Serve with a green salad or sautéed spinach.