FoodBanter.com

-   Vegan (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/)
-   -   Nutritional yeast and brewer yeast (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/18246-nutritional-yeast-brewer-yeast.html)

Jupiter 27-10-2003 07:22 PM

Nutritional yeast and brewer yeast

In Britain people look strangely and say that they have just brewer
yeast. Is it the same thing as nutritional yeast?

Second question, where I can get it in Britain?

PS. I do not have a vegan cat yet. In fact, I was just researching
possibilities if it is possible for cat to be a vegan.

Thanks in advance,
Jupiter

Ipse dixit 27-10-2003 11:08 PM

"Jupiter" > wrote in message om...
> In Britain people look strangely and say that they have just brewer
> yeast. Is it the same thing as nutritional yeast?
>
> Second question, where I can get it in Britain?
>
> PS. I do not have a vegan cat yet. In fact, I was just researching
> possibilities if it is possible for cat to be a vegan.

Cats cannot survive on a meat free diet. They're obligate carnivores.

Jonathan Ball 27-10-2003 11:13 PM

Jupiter wrote:
> In Britain people look strangely and say that they have just brewer
> yeast. Is it the same thing as nutritional yeast?
>
> Second question, where I can get it in Britain?
>
> PS. I do not have a vegan cat yet. In fact, I was just researching
> possibilities if it is possible for cat to be a vegan.

As another poster has already replied, cats cannot be
strictly vegetarian. They are obligate carnivores,
meaning they *must* eat meat, or they will not get
essential nutrients (the essential nutrient is the
amino acid taurine).

But more to the point, why do you think it's right for
you to impose your pseudo-ethical beliefs on your cat?

Ipse dixit 28-10-2003 12:06 AM

"Jonathan Ball" > wrote in message ink.net...
> Jupiter wrote:
> > In Britain people look strangely and say that they have just brewer
> > yeast. Is it the same thing as nutritional yeast?
> >
> > Second question, where I can get it in Britain?
> >
> > PS. I do not have a vegan cat yet. In fact, I was just researching
> > possibilities if it is possible for cat to be a vegan.

> As another poster has already replied, cats cannot be
> strictly vegetarian. They are obligate carnivores,
> meaning they *must* eat meat, or they will not get
> essential nutrients (the essential nutrient is the
> amino acid taurine).
>
> But more to the point, why do you think it's right for
> you to impose your pseudo-ethical beliefs on your cat?

"Jupiter" might not want to buy meat if [s]he's vegan, so the
decision whether or not to go ahead and buy an obligate
carnivore will probably depend on it.

usual suspect 28-10-2003 02:10 AM

Jupiter wrote:
> In Britain people look strangely and say that they have just brewer
> yeast. Is it the same thing as nutritional yeast?

No. They're very different, and not interchangeable.

> Second question, where I can get it in Britain?

Mail order or shop?

> PS. I do not have a vegan cat yet. In fact, I was just researching
> possibilities if it is possible for cat to be a vegan.

NO. I realize there are some people who think cats can be vegan, but I
find it morally reprehensible that such people arrogantly force their
alternative lifestyle values on a helpless creature nature has seen fit
to live by its own specific set of values. Cats do not eat rice and
beans. They eat fish, mice, meat, and offal. Please don't go so loopy
into veganism that you project your peculiar sensitivities onto other
helpless species.

MrFalafel 28-10-2003 10:04 AM

(Jupiter) wrote in message . com>...
> In Britain people look strangely and say that they have just brewer
> yeast. Is it the same thing as nutritional yeast?
>
> Second question, where I can get it in Britain?
>
> PS. I do not have a vegan cat yet. In fact, I was just researching
> possibilities if it is possible for cat to be a vegan.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jupiter

No, brewers yeast is not at all like nutritional yeast. Don't be
tempted to try and cook with brewers yeast as the results will be
horrible!

Some larger independent wholefood stores in the UK sell 'Engevita
Nutirtional Yeast Flakes'. Or you can buy them on line at
http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...il/579698.html

Cat's are natural carnivores so feeding a cat a veggie diet would be
against it's nature. Dogs, however, are natural omnivores so one could
consider giving a dog a veggie diet. That said there are many people
who feed their cats a veggie diet and do so healthily. I am very much
against this but you may want to read
http://www.veganpet.com.au/cats1.htm and http://www.vegpets.com/ for
more information.

WorldsWorst 31-10-2003 01:16 AM

Nutritional yeast and brewer yeast

If you love your cat you won't even think of putting him/her on a vegan
diet - they are naturally carnivorous!
om...

Rubystars 10-11-2003 08:46 PM

Nutritional yeast and brewer yeast

(Jupiter) wrote in message . com>...
> In Britain people look strangely and say that they have just brewer
> yeast. Is it the same thing as nutritional yeast?
>
> Second question, where I can get it in Britain?
>
> PS. I do not have a vegan cat yet. In fact, I was just researching
> possibilities if it is possible for cat to be a vegan.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jupiter

I know this is kind of a late reply but if you're still reading this
you should know that cats have gone blind (or worse) from their owners
trying to feed them on vegetarian or vegan diets.

In fact not long ago there was an episode of "Animal Cops" where some
cats were seized. Many were blind and most were nearly starved by the
time the ASPCA could save them, because they'd been fed "Grape nuts".

Dogs can handle it a lot better but they probably need some eggs now
and then at least.

-Rubystars