googlesux

Default Vegan Creamer/Tofu Spread Packets?

I decided this weekend to go vegan, at least to have a go at it. This
was after reading the PETA introduction to Veganism booklet, which is
very well organized and makes it seem easier than I thought. Also, I
checked out the local healthfood store and found all kinds of
interesting meatless entrees.

So, a few questions I've already come up with:

1) I tried drinking coffee with soy milk -- yuk! Tastes like coffee
with bean sprouts. What's the most popular, easy-to-find vegan coffee
creamer? Or do most people just get used to soy milk or black coffee?

2) I've always loved tofu spread instead of creamchees, and I bought a
container of Tofutti's Better Than Cream Chees this weekend -- quite
good. But I could really use some single-serving packets of tofu
spread. We have bagels every Monday morning at work, and I'd like to
use tofu spread, but it needs to have a long shelf life since I'll
only use it once per week or maybe occasionally more often. Margarine
is an option I suppose, but packets of tofu spread that keep well
would be even better.

3) I ate the last piece of my chocolate birthday cake last night, and
there was no way I was going to guzzle some soymilk after that. Maybe
it would have been ok, but instead I had my one transgression of the
weekend -- I guzzled about a 1/2 quart of milk afterwards! Guess I was
craving dairy! :-/ So, what do vegans like best after chocolate cake?
I guess soymilk will have to do. I suppose I'll get used to it. It
could be the hardest thing to quit -- after-chocolate-cake milk.
Fortunately I don't have chocolate cake too often.

4) Any good pre-prepared vegan gravies out there? I made a vegan
Thanksgiving feast last night, just to see how it might come off for
the real thing -- a dress rehearsal. The only thing I couldn't find
was any vegan gravy, though I only had time to check the grocery store
-- maybe the healthdfood store has something. But any suggestions? I
can look for recipes too, but something in a can or jar would be nice
to know about. I broke down and bought a can with some chicken stock
or turkey stock or something, so actually that and the milk were my
two transgressions.

Overall, I was pretty good for a first weekend. I went vegetarian for
a few months years ago, but that was before there were so many premade
vegan foods, so I think it will be much easier this time to go vegan.
Thanks for any tips!
Momzilla

"googlesux" > wrote in message
om...
> I decided this weekend to go vegan, at least to have a go at it. This
> was after reading the PETA introduction to Veganism booklet, which is
> very well organized and makes it seem easier than I thought. Also, I
> checked out the local healthfood store and found all kinds of
> interesting meatless entrees.
>
> So, a few questions I've already come up with:
>
> 1) I tried drinking coffee with soy milk -- yuk! Tastes like coffee
> with bean sprouts. What's the most popular, easy-to-find vegan coffee
> creamer? Or do most people just get used to soy milk or black coffee?

Blue Diamond Almond milk is very good. Available most everywhere even
Walgreens (BTW, I'm assuming you're in the US)
Silk is also widely available. I've seen it at truck stops in Kentucky and
Southern Indiana
I use Westsoy Organic unsweetened soy milk.

> 2) I've always loved tofu spread instead of creamchees, and I bought a
> container of Tofutti's Better Than Cream Chees this weekend -- quite
> good. But I could really use some single-serving packets of tofu
> spread. We have bagels every Monday morning at work, and I'd like to
> use tofu spread, but it needs to have a long shelf life since I'll
> only use it once per week or maybe occasionally more often. Margarine
> is an option I suppose, but packets of tofu spread that keep well
> would be even better.

You can buy little Rubbermaid, Tupperware or any brand plastic containers
and fill them yourself. Less waste

> 3) I ate the last piece of my chocolate birthday cake last night, and
> there was no way I was going to guzzle some soymilk after that. Maybe
> it would have been ok, but instead I had my one transgression of the
> weekend -- I guzzled about a 1/2 quart of milk afterwards! Guess I was
> craving dairy! :-/ So, what do vegans like best after chocolate cake?
> I guess soymilk will have to do. I suppose I'll get used to it. It
> could be the hardest thing to quit -- after-chocolate-cake milk.
> Fortunately I don't have chocolate cake too often.

I personally prefer coffee after cake.

> 4) Any good pre-prepared vegan gravies out there? I made a vegan
> Thanksgiving feast last night, just to see how it might come off for
> the real thing -- a dress rehearsal. The only thing I couldn't find
> was any vegan gravy, though I only had time to check the grocery store
> -- maybe the healthdfood store has something. But any suggestions? I
> can look for recipes too, but something in a can or jar would be nice
> to know about. I broke down and bought a can with some chicken stock
> or turkey stock or something, so actually that and the milk were my

Hain makes a very good vegan gravy dry mix. Available at many mainstream
supermarkets. My 8 year old daughter loves mash potatoes with Hain
"chicken" style gravy
-nancy-

> two transgressions.
>
> Overall, I was pretty good for a first weekend. I went vegetarian for
> a few months years ago, but that was before there were so many premade
> vegan foods, so I think it will be much easier this time to go vegan.
> Thanks for any tips!

T5NF

wrote:

>I decided this weekend to go vegan, at least to have a go at it. This
>was after reading the PETA introduction to Veganism booklet, which is
>very well organized and makes it seem easier than I thought. Also, I
>checked out the local healthfood store and found all kinds of
>interesting meatless entrees.

If you end up sticking with it, you'll probably learn alot of new recipes from
all different cultures which will keep your meals interesting :-). It goes
without saying that it's alot less expensive making it yourself than buying
premade stuff. 'Vegan Vittles' by Joanne Stepaniak has alot of good recipes for
meat-free favorites as does 'The Book of Tofu' by Shurtleff & Aoyagi... The
google archives are priceless too.

>So, a few questions I've already come up with:
>
>1) I tried drinking coffee with soy milk -- yuk! Tastes like coffee
>with bean sprouts. What's the most popular, easy-to-find vegan coffee
>creamer? Or do most people just get used to soy milk or black coffee?

Every soy milk that I've tried tastes different--you might have to try a few
until you find the one/s you like.... I use Eden Soy original for baking,
sauces & puddings.... I like Soy Dream Vanilla on cereal & Rice Dream in
coffee. Westbrae makes flavoured soy creamers, but I don't really care for
them.. they can be had at most health food stores and I think Trader Joe's
carries them as well....ymmv.

<snip>

>So, what do vegans like best after chocolate cake?

I like unsweetened green tea..
<snip>
> so actually that and the milk were my
>two transgressions.

Don't worry about it... there will probably be other times when you cave for
whatever reason...do what's comfortable for you. The vegan police only exist
in your mind ;-).

>Overall, I was pretty good for a first weekend. I went vegetarian for
>a few months years ago, but that was before there were so many premade
>vegan foods, so I think it will be much easier this time to go vegan.
>Thanks for any tips!

I'd suggest picking up a copy of 'Becoming Vegan' by Davis & Melina.... it's a
great book on vegan nutrition. Good luck! :-)

Cheers,

Fritz