Old 20-11-2003, 09:17 PM
Rubystars

Default Eat dirt and live longer

"machine99" wrote in message
. ..
The practice is known in other ethnic groups. Eating soil can

provide
some
nutrients, but it isn't a complete diet.

Do they boil it first? (and did she)

They eat it raw, like fruit.

Raw earth can contain worm eggs and other parasites....I wonder how it
affects their health...

I've always wondered how they can find it healthy to eat dirt without doing
something to kill the parasites inside.

-Rubystars

Old 20-11-2003, 10:50 PM
Shez

In article , Rubystars
writes

"machine99" wrote in message
The practice is known in other ethnic groups. Eating soil can

provide
some
nutrients, but it isn't a complete diet.

Do they boil it first? (and did she)

They eat it raw, like fruit.

Raw earth can contain worm eggs and other parasites....I wonder how it
affects their health...

I've always wondered how they can find it healthy to eat dirt without doing
something to kill the parasites inside.

-Rubystars

I think perhaps we are over hygienic these days about food, to the point
where our immune systems don't automatically kick in when we eat
something that is not 100%
Their is so much on sale now to keep your kitchen almost totally sterile
that people forget that a bit of dirt and a few germs are a healthy
thing they build up our immune system.
Kids believe it or not will try and eat anything from dirt to worms and
rarely come to any harm because of it.
I am not recommending dirt or not being hygienic, no one wants
Salmonella but you can take the war against germs to the point were we
no longer have an effective immune system, because its never been
allowed to work.
Being hygienic today is becoming almost paranoia, thanks to advertising,
I don't use products in my kitchen that will kill every germ in sight,

If you use very hot water, and a good cleaner, and make sure your wash
cloth is clean.. Then their is no real reason for worry,
If you want to be extra safe a little disinfectant or bleach on
surfaces where you have cut or served food will do the trick.
I do put all my chopping boards in the dishwasher, but even that is not
necessary, pouring boiling water over them will do just as good a job.

I am not terribly suprised these days with the number of children who
are forever off school with one infection after another, They have never
had the chance to build up their immune systems,
Mums have made sure their little darlings never come into contact with
a Germ and when they hit school they come into contact with the whole
package all at once, no wonder they are sick.

--
Shez
Old 21-11-2003, 02:11 AM
bob

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 22:50:43 +0000, Shez wrote:

In article , Rubystars
writes

"machine99" wrote in message
k...
The practice is known in other ethnic groups. Eating soil can

provide
some
nutrients, but it isn't a complete diet.

Do they boil it first? (and did she)

They eat it raw, like fruit.

Raw earth can contain worm eggs and other parasites....I wonder how it
affects their health...

I've always wondered how they can find it healthy to eat dirt without doing
something to kill the parasites inside.

I think perhaps we are over hygienic these days about food, to the point
where our immune systems don't automatically kick in when we eat
something that is not 100%

My immune system doesn't have much problem with anything. I've only
taken antibiotics a couple of times in the past 25 years. I avoid
antimicrobial soaps (except when I'm working in a cadaver lab or some
such) and I don't worry much about my food. This doesn't mean that I
won't die of a heart attack or cancer sometime in the next 20 years
but I doubt I'll spend much time feeling gross because of prescription
crap I'm taking.

I am not terribly suprised these days with the number of children who
are forever off school with one infection after another, They have never
had the chance to build up their immune systems,

All 5 of the kids in this household have perfect attendance this year
and there were only a couple days missed total last year.

Mums have made sure their little darlings never come into contact with
a Germ and when they hit school they come into contact with the whole
package all at once, no wonder they are sick.

Not all mothers have done this.

Old 21-11-2003, 03:59 AM
Haximus

"Rubystars" wrote in message

"machine99" wrote in message
. ..
The practice is known in other ethnic groups. Eating soil can

provide
some
nutrients, but it isn't a complete diet.

Do they boil it first? (and did she)

They eat it raw, like fruit.

Raw earth can contain worm eggs and other parasites....I wonder how it
affects their health...

I've always wondered how they can find it healthy to eat dirt without

doing
something to kill the parasites inside.

Ever heard on inner city syndrome? Children raised in sterile environments
never have their immune systems challenged, they get sick easiliy and suffer
allergies to almost everything. Good proof that ingesting small amounts of
pathogens strengthens our immune systems and makes us healthier.

Old 21-11-2003, 04:53 AM
Rubystars

"Haximus" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
"Rubystars" wrote in message

"machine99" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

When I was a kid I used to love to play in mud and clay fairly often. I had
no problems for a long time, till in 5th grade I got hook worms as a result.
I don't ever want to go through that again. It was a living hell. My whole
family had to take medicine as a precaution. I've avoided getting muddy
since then and avoided walking barefoot in dirt.

I've heard of "Worm therapy" and that's fine for people whose immune systems
are weak and need a little boost, but as for myself, no thanks. *L*

-Rubystars

Old 21-11-2003, 08:08 AM
Mr. Max P. Diddy

"Rubystars" wrote in message

When I was a kid I used to love to play in mud and clay fairly

often.

Most kids do. I personally think there is something instinctual about
it. I remember playing with clay in the school yard as a child. I
also remember putting it in my mouth and tasting it.

Old 21-11-2003, 10:11 AM
Rubystars

"Mr. Max P. Diddy" wrote in message
"Rubystars" wrote in message

When I was a kid I used to love to play in mud and clay fairly

often.

Most kids do. I personally think there is something instinctual about
it. I remember playing with clay in the school yard as a child. I
also remember putting it in my mouth and tasting it.

I don't remember doing anything like that, but I know wind used to blow some
into my eyes and mouth sometimes. *L*

-Rubystars

Old 04-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Member

Question

Does anyone have the recipe or know how the Haitians make the dirt/clay cookies. I am looking to do that as an example to show people. We are raising money to help Haiti.

Last edited by Clewdster : 04-02-2010 at 09:22 PM