Default Facts we should *not* consider.

It appears that in order to think of things in the correct and ethically
superior way, some people believe we should disregard certain facts.
Overall it appears to me that veg*ns want to disregard more facts than
meat consumers, but maybe I'm wrong about that. The following are
lists of facts that meat eaters want to disregard, and that veg*ns want
to disregard. If you have more to add, please do so.

Facts that meat consumers want to disregard:
1.The meat industry provides life for the billions of animals who are
killed so we can eat them.

Facts that veg*ns want to disregard:
1.The meat industry provides life for the billions of animals who are
killed so we can eat them.
2. Some of the animals raised for food have decent lives.
3. Veg*nism does nothing to provide decent lives for farm animals.
4. Veg*nism does nothing to help or provide more life for any animals.
5. People can contribute to decent lives for farm animals, but they
can't do it by being veg*n.
6. Veg*ns contribute to most of the same animal deaths that everyone
else does by their use of wood, paper, roads, buildings, electricity,
things that contain animal by-products, and the veggies they eat.
7. Some types of meat involve fewer animal deaths than some types of
veggies.
8. Some types of meat involve less animal suffering than some types of
veggies.

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:26:39 GMT, swamp > wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:40:46 GMT, wrote:
>
>>Facts that meat consumers want to disregard:
>>1.The meat industry provides life for the billions of animals who are
>> killed so we can eat them.

>Just out of curiosity, has anyone *ever* bought this argument, David?
>
>--swamp

I have mentioned it to quite a few people in face to face conversations,
and have *never* had anyone attach a bunch of extra junk to it about a
right to life for unconceived hypothetical potential future animals, like the
Gonad and some of his veg*n buddies do. They have always agreed that
raising animals for food provides billions of them with life, since it would
be absurd to disagree. As for whether or not providing them with life is
an acceptable trade off for taking it later, no one has ever had a problem
with it. There has certainly never been anyone who felt that we should
*disregard* that aspect of the situation, and when I tell people about the
ones who don't think of things realistically. No offence to you swamp,
and no offence was intended when I mentioned it before, but the
objections you presented to it were for the most part if not entirely
arguments that veg*ns would use. Some of them I suppose I would
agree with to some extent, and others I wouldn't. I've been wondering
ever since how many of them you agreed with and how many you
didn't, but we never got down to details like that so I still don't know
which are objections that you agree with and which are not. I might
still have a list of them if you'd care to go through it and say which you
go along with and which you don't.

When I mention this aspect of the situation to people in person, it
is met with a completely different reaction than it is in these ngs. Why
not try it yourself with a few people and see what their reaction is,
just out of curiosity. Please let me know how it turns out if you give it
a go. You could just tell them that some moron you've seen online is
going around saying that billions of animals are not simply "killed" as
"ARAs" want us to perceive the situation, but that those same billions
of animals only get any life at all because people raise them for food,
and see what their reaction is.
Jonathan Ball

wrote:

>>>Facts that meat consumers want to disregard:
>>>1.The meat industry provides life for the billions of animals who are
>>> killed so we can eat them.

>>Just out of curiosity, has anyone *ever* bought this argument, David?
>>
>>--swamp

> I have mentioned it to quite a few people in face to face conversations,
> and have *never* had anyone attach a bunch of extra junk to it about a
> right to life for unconceived hypothetical potential future animals, like the
> Gonad and some of his veg*n buddies do. They have always agreed that
> raising animals for food provides billions of them with life, since it would
> be absurd to disagree.

No more absurd than pointing it out. It is true, but
it's trivial; it is meaningless in the debate about
whether or not it's morally right to eat meat.

> As for whether or not providing them with life is
> an acceptable trade off for taking it later, no one has ever had a problem
> with it.

Thanks for the admission that you think "getting to
experience life" is some kind of moral good. I'm
adding this to the FAQ.

> There has certainly never been anyone who felt that we should
> *disregard* that aspect of the situation, and when I tell people about the
> ones who don't think of things realistically.

You have a cherry-picked audience of brain-dead rednecks.

> No offence to you swamp,
> and no offence was intended when I mentioned it before, but the
> objections you presented to it were for the most part if not entirely
> arguments that veg*ns would use.

Some of what "vegans" say is correct.

> Some of them I suppose I would
> agree with to some extent, and others I wouldn't. I've been wondering
> ever since how many of them you agreed with and how many you
> didn't, but we never got down to details like that so I still don't know
> which are objections that you agree with and which are not. I might
> still have a list of them if you'd care to go through it and say which you
> go along with and which you don't.
>
> When I mention this aspect of the situation to people in person, it
> is met with a completely different reaction than it is in these ngs.

Dumb inbred southern rednecks. What did you expect?

> Why not try it yourself with a few people and see what their reaction is,
> just out of curiosity. Please let me know how it turns out if you give it
> a go. You could just tell them that some moron you've seen online is
> going around saying that billions of animals are not simply "killed" as
> "ARAs" want us to perceive the situation, but that those same billions
> of animals only get any life at all because people raise them for food,
> and see what their reaction is.

Gary Beckwith

you are full of vegan baloney!

first of all eating vegan DOES help animals because it decreases demand
for meat.

second, vegan is not just an eating habit. it is a way of life. many
vegans don't just refrain from eating meat, they also contribute to
organizations such as Farm Sanctuary or PETA, that have many programs
that directly affect the welfare of animals.

now, i have to take particular issue with your portrayal of the meat
industry providing a good life for many animals. That simply is NOT
true. The vast majority of animals raised for meat live HORRIBLE
lives. They are confined to very small areas, pumped with hormones,
body parts removed, and killed in very painful and inhumane ways. Do you
know how a beef cattle is killed? Look it up, it's disgusting. I know,
I live in farm country and I see it every day. Even dairy cows are
often confined to indoor barns and never get to roam. I drive by a
dairy farm almost every day, that is basically a huge metal building
full of cows that can't even turn around. I've never seen them let
outside in years.

your #7 is outrageous. what exactly are you thinking of? A vegetable
crop that kills more animals than meat?

you should get your facts straight before you state them as "facts".

It sounds to me like you are just another meat eater trying to justify
your cruel habit. Virtually all your statements are completely false.
If you do some research, read some books, you'll get the real facts.
But then I suppose you'll turn on your blinders and then start talking
about how vegetables feel just as much pain when they are killed so
there's no reason to be vegetarian. I've actually heard that one
before.

Look, if you want to eat meat, go ahead and do it. No one is stopping
you. Don't try to tell vegetarians that their lifestyle is wrong,
though. Especially if you are going to make your argument is completely
untrue.

Gary

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:33:56 GMT, Gary Beckwith > wrote:

>you are full of vegan baloney!
>
>first of all eating vegan DOES help animals because it decreases demand
>for meat.

Which animals does it help, and how does it help them?

>second, vegan is not just an eating habit. it is a way of life. many
>vegans don't just refrain from eating meat, they also contribute to
>organizations such as Farm Sanctuary or PETA, that have many programs
>that directly affect the welfare of animals.

Veg*nism itself does nothing to help animals, regardless of
what other things a person does.

>now, i have to take particular issue with your portrayal of the meat
>industry providing a good life for many animals. That simply is NOT
>true. The vast majority of animals raised for meat live HORRIBLE
>lives. They are confined to very small areas, pumped with hormones,
>body parts removed, and killed in very painful and inhumane ways. Do you
>know how a beef cattle is killed? Look it up, it's disgusting. I know,
>I live in farm country and I see it every day. Even dairy cows are
>often confined to indoor barns and never get to roam. I drive by a
>dairy farm almost every day, that is basically a huge metal building
>full of cows that can't even turn around. I've never seen them let
>outside in years.

Some of them have decent lives and some of them don't. If
you think they all have HORRIBLE lives then you're being no
more realistic about it than someone who thinks they all have
decent lives.

>your #7 is outrageous. what exactly are you thinking of? A vegetable
>crop that kills more animals than meat?

From the life and death of a grass raised steer people can
get over 500 servings of beef. A few meals of tofu are likely
to involve more deaths than 500 meals from grass raised beef.
From the life and death of a grass raised dairy cow people can
get thousands of dairy servings. A few servings of rice milk are
likely to involve more deaths than a thousand servings of grass
raised cow milk.

>you should get your facts straight before you state them as "facts".
>
>It sounds to me like you are just another meat eater trying to justify
>your cruel habit. Virtually all your statements are completely false.

They are all true, as was the main point which is that there
are quite a few significan facts that you veg*ns do *not* want
people to consider. That's because you care more about
promoting veg*nism than you do about human influence on
animals.

wrote:

>> It appears that in order to think of things in the correct and ethically
>> superior way, some people believe we should disregard certain facts.
>> Overall it appears to me that veg*ns want to disregard more facts than
>> meat consumers, but maybe I'm wrong about that. The following are
>> lists of facts that meat eaters want to disregard, and that veg*ns want
>> to disregard. If you have more to add, please do so.
>>
>> Facts that meat consumers want to disregard:
>> 1.The meat industry provides life for the billions of animals who are
>> killed so we can eat them.
>>
>> Facts that veg*ns want to disregard:
>> 1.The meat industry provides life for the billions of animals who are
>> killed so we can eat them.
>> 2. Some of the animals raised for food have decent lives.
>> 3. Veg*nism does nothing to provide decent lives for farm animals.
>> 4. Veg*nism does nothing to help or provide more life for any animals.
>> 5. People can contribute to decent lives for farm animals, but they
>> can't do it by being veg*n.
>> 6. Veg*ns contribute to most of the same animal deaths that everyone
>> else does by their use of wood, paper, roads, buildings, electricity,
>> things that contain animal by-products, and the veggies they eat.
>> 7. Some types of meat involve fewer animal deaths than some types of
>> veggies.
>> 8. Some types of meat involve less animal suffering than some types of
>> veggies.

Jonathan Ball

Gary Beckwith wrote:

> you are full of vegan baloney!
>
> first of all eating vegan DOES help animals because it decreases demand
> for meat.

How does that help any currently living farm animals?

> second, vegan is not just an eating habit. it is a way of life. many
> vegans don't just refrain from eating meat, they also contribute to
> organizations such as Farm Sanctuary or PETA, that have many programs
> that directly affect the welfare of animals.

But a meat eater who is concerned with animal welfare
could do the same thing, and undoubtedly there are
"vegans" who aren't members of any such organizations.
Being "vegan" has nothing to do with it.

> now, i have to take particular issue with your portrayal of the meat
> industry providing a good life for many animals. That simply is NOT
> true. The vast majority of animals raised for meat live HORRIBLE
> lives. They are confined to very small areas, pumped with hormones,
> body parts removed, and killed in very painful and inhumane ways.

Prove any of this. Get busy.

> Do you
> know how a beef cattle is killed? Look it up, it's disgusting. I know,
> I live in farm country and I see it every day.

Beef cattle are not slaughtered in farm country. Stop
lying.

> Even dairy cows are
> often confined to indoor barns and never get to roam. I drive by a
> dairy farm almost every day, that is basically a huge metal building
> full of cows that can't even turn around. I've never seen them let
> outside in years.

You've never been inside the building, either, so you
don't know what you're talking about.

> your #7 is outrageous. what exactly are you thinking of? A vegetable
> crop that kills more animals than meat?

Fields are disced, and when the crops are harvested,
heavy machinery again drives through the fields,
killing animals.

> you should get your facts straight before you state them as "facts".
>
> It sounds to me like you are just another meat eater trying to justify
> your cruel habit.

You're right about that particular poster, David
Harrison, better known as ****wit. However, some of
the points he raises are correct and serve to disprove
"vegan" claims. In particular, his claims about
animals being killed in the course of producing
vegetables are correct.

What you should disregard is his fatuous, ****witted
claim about how raising meat animals "provides them
with life". It is trivially true, but it is not a
reason to raise them, and he is the only loon who
thinks it is.

> Virtually all your statements are completely false.

No, quite a lot of them are true.

> If you do some research, read some books, you'll get the real facts.

It's obvious to one and all that you do not practice
what you preach.

> But then I suppose you'll turn on your blinders and then start talking
> about how vegetables feel just as much pain when they are killed so
> there's no reason to be vegetarian. I've actually heard that one
> before.
>
> Look, if you want to eat meat, go ahead and do it. No one is stopping
> you. Don't try to tell vegetarians that their lifestyle is wrong,
> though.

If "vegans" believe they are making a legitimate
ethical choice by not eating meat and other animal
products in order not to cause animal suffering, their
lifestyle IS wrong and bogus and based on a logical
fallacy. "vegans" cause massive animal suffering with
their "lifestyle"; they just don't eat the dead animals.

> Especially if you are going to make your argument is completely
> untrue.

That is not a proper English sentence.

wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:33:56 GMT, Gary Beckwith > wrote:
>

>>you are full of vegan baloney!
>>
>>first of all eating vegan DOES help animals because it decreases demand
>>for meat.

> Which animals does it help, and how does it help them?
>

>>second, vegan is not just an eating habit. it is a way of life. many
>>vegans don't just refrain from eating meat, they also contribute to
>>organizations such as Farm Sanctuary or PETA, that have many programs
>>that directly affect the welfare of animals.

> Veg*nism itself does nothing to help animals, regardless of
> what other things a person does.

Meat eating does nothing to help animals, either,
regardless of what other things a person does.

>>now, i have to take particular issue with your portrayal of the meat
>>industry providing a good life for many animals. That simply is NOT
>>true. The vast majority of animals raised for meat live HORRIBLE
>>lives. They are confined to very small areas, pumped with hormones,
>>body parts removed, and killed in very painful and inhumane ways. Do you
>>know how a beef cattle is killed? Look it up, it's disgusting. I know,
>>I live in farm country and I see it every day. Even dairy cows are
>>often confined to indoor barns and never get to roam. I drive by a
>>dairy farm almost every day, that is basically a huge metal building
>>full of cows that can't even turn around. I've never seen them let
>>outside in years.

> Some of them have decent lives and some of them don't.

That's merely your opinion, and it is based on ignorance.

> If you think they all have HORRIBLE lives then you're being no
> more realistic about it than someone who thinks they all have
> decent lives.

If one thinks that it is horrible to kill an animal for
human consumption, then they indeed all have horrible
lives.

>>your #7 is outrageous. what exactly are you thinking of? A vegetable
>>crop that kills more animals than meat?

> From the life and death of a grass raised steer people can
> get over 500 servings of beef.

You are a massive hypocrite. You do not eat grass-fed
beef. You do not make any effort at all to choose meat
from sources that treated animals better than the
average for their industries. You buy whatever beef,
chicken, pork and other that Piggly Wiggly has in
shrink-wrapped packages. You are not an ethical meat
eater.

> A few meals of tofu are likely
> to involve more deaths than 500 meals from grass raised beef.

You have no support for that claim. It's idle,
ignorant speculation.

> From the life and death of a grass raised dairy cow people can
> get thousands of dairy servings. A few servings of rice milk are
> likely to involve more deaths than a thousand servings of grass
> raised cow milk.
>

>>you should get your facts straight before you state them as "facts".
>>
>>It sounds to me like you are just another meat eater trying to justify
>>your cruel habit. Virtually all your statements are completely false.

> They are all true,

One of them is completely insignificant: the one about
the meat and dairy industries "providing life" for farm
animals.

> as was the main point which is that there
> are quite a few significan facts that you veg*ns do *not* want
> people to consider.

Vegans not giving any consideration to this stupid
"providing life" argument is not out of a fear of what
might be discovered. It is based on a full-knowledge
awareness that there is nothing to consider.

Gary Beckwith

wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:33:56 GMT, Gary Beckwith > wrote:
>
> >you are full of vegan baloney!
> >
> >first of all eating vegan DOES help animals because it decreases demand
> >for meat.

> Which animals does it help, and how does it help them?

it helps the ones that don't have to be born into a life of torture.

> >second, vegan is not just an eating habit. it is a way of life. many
> >vegans don't just refrain from eating meat, they also contribute to
> >organizations such as Farm Sanctuary or PETA, that have many programs
> >that directly affect the welfare of animals.

> Veg*nism itself does nothing to help animals, regardless of
> what other things a person does.

you can twist the facts any way you want. most vegans have a lifestyle,
not just an eating habit. what's your point? veganism itself is

> >now, i have to take particular issue with your portrayal of the meat
> >industry providing a good life for many animals. That simply is NOT
> >true. The vast majority of animals raised for meat live HORRIBLE
> >lives. They are confined to very small areas, pumped with hormones,
> >body parts removed, and killed in very painful and inhumane ways. Do you
> >know how a beef cattle is killed? Look it up, it's disgusting. I know,
> >I live in farm country and I see it every day. Even dairy cows are
> >often confined to indoor barns and never get to roam. I drive by a
> >dairy farm almost every day, that is basically a huge metal building
> >full of cows that can't even turn around. I've never seen them let
> >outside in years.

> Some of them have decent lives and some of them don't. If
> you think they all have HORRIBLE lives then you're being no
> more realistic about it than someone who thinks they all have
> decent lives.

the VAST MAJORITY, i'd say well over 95% live horrible lives. did I
ever say all? again, what's the point? does it make a difference if
it's all, or most, or 95% or 50%?

> >your #7 is outrageous. what exactly are you thinking of? A vegetable
> >crop that kills more animals than meat?

> From the life and death of a grass raised steer people can
> get over 500 servings of beef. A few meals of tofu are likely
> to involve more deaths than 500 meals from grass raised beef.
> From the life and death of a grass raised dairy cow people can
> get thousands of dairy servings. A few servings of rice milk are
> likely to involve more deaths than a thousand servings of grass
> raised cow milk.

you are full of it. you did not give any example. what deaths? there
simply are not any animal deaths involved in tofu production. get real.

the fact is that for every pound of beef produced, hundreds of pounds of
grain must be grown and hundreds of gallons of water are wasted. The
entire earth could live off the grain and water that is wasted to feed
cattle. get your facts straight. you are completely wrong on this
one. do you know how many pounds of grain and gallons of water are
required to raise that head of beef that makes 500 servings? I guess
not because if you did you would not make that statement.

> >you should get your facts straight before you state them as "facts".
> >
> >It sounds to me like you are just another meat eater trying to justify
> >your cruel habit. Virtually all your statements are completely false.

> They are all true, as was the main point which is that there
> are quite a few significan facts that you veg*ns do *not* want
> people to consider. That's because you care more about
> promoting veg*nism than you do about human influence on
> animals.

I supposed you know exactly what I think and believe and what I want to
do. your original statement is full of generalizations of what vegans
think and do. how would you know what I think? how do you know what i
care about?

Simply stated, your arguments are not true, your arguments are completey
full of holes and when given an opporutunity to respond you skirt the
issue. If you reallly know the facts, why don't you tell me where all
the animal deaths are that result from tofu production? Three times
you've said that more animals die from the raising of vegetables than
meat and never have you given a single example. You also seem to know
nothing about beef production and the resources that go into it. Your
arguments are hollow and unsubstantiated. You generalize a whole group
of people into thinking and feeling one certain way, which is completely
outrageous.

You should learn more about the facts, and perhaps take a class on
debating. In real debates, you don't make generalizations and you
substantiate your facts. You've done neither.

I don't even see why you're trying to make this case. go ahead and eat
meat if you want to. it's a personal choice. Why do you have to tell
other people they are wrong for making personal decisions that differ
from yours? Maybe you're feeling guilty for eating meat and you're
trying to justify your habit by making these statements?

> >If you do some research, read some books, you'll get the real facts.
> >But then I suppose you'll turn on your blinders and then start talking
> >about how vegetables feel just as much pain when they are killed so
> >there's no reason to be vegetarian. I've actually heard that one
> >before.
> >
> >Look, if you want to eat meat, go ahead and do it. No one is stopping
> >you. Don't try to tell vegetarians that their lifestyle is wrong,
> >though. Especially if you are going to make your argument is completely
> >untrue.
> >
> >Gary
> >
> wrote:
> >>
> >> It appears that in order to think of things in the correct and ethically
> >> superior way, some people believe we should disregard certain facts.
> >> Overall it appears to me that veg*ns want to disregard more facts than
> >> meat consumers, but maybe I'm wrong about that. The following are
> >> lists of facts that meat eaters want to disregard, and that veg*ns want
> >> to disregard. If you have more to add, please do so.
> >>
> >> Facts that meat consumers want to disregard:
> >> 1.The meat industry provides life for the billions of animals who are
> >> killed so we can eat them.
> >>
> >> Facts that veg*ns want to disregard:
> >> 1.The meat industry provides life for the billions of animals who are
> >> killed so we can eat them.
> >> 2. Some of the animals raised for food have decent lives.
> >> 3. Veg*nism does nothing to provide decent lives for farm animals.
> >> 4. Veg*nism does nothing to help or provide more life for any animals.
> >> 5. People can contribute to decent lives for farm animals, but they
> >> can't do it by being veg*n.
> >> 6. Veg*ns contribute to most of the same animal deaths that everyone
> >> else does by their use of wood, paper, roads, buildings, electricity,
> >> things that contain animal by-products, and the veggies they eat.
> >> 7. Some types of meat involve fewer animal deaths than some types of
> >> veggies.
> >> 8. Some types of meat involve less animal suffering than some types of
> >> veggies.

Jonathan Ball

Gary Beckwith wrote:

> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:33:56 GMT, Gary Beckwith > wrote:
>>

>>>you are full of vegan baloney!
>>>
>>>first of all eating vegan DOES help animals because it decreases demand
>>>for meat.

>> Which animals does it help, and how does it help them?

> it helps the ones that don't have to be born into a life of torture.

"They" don't exist, so they can't be helped. Try again.

>>>second, vegan is not just an eating habit. it is a way of life. many
>>>vegans don't just refrain from eating meat, they also contribute to
>>>organizations such as Farm Sanctuary or PETA, that have many programs
>>>that directly affect the welfare of animals.

>> Veg*nism itself does nothing to help animals, regardless of
>>what other things a person does.

> you can twist the facts any way you want. most vegans have a lifestyle,
> not just an eating habit. what's your point? veganism itself is

....is, what? Try to write complete sentences next time.

There is nothing intrinsic to "veganism" that means
people are going to be more likely to contribute to
animal welfare organizations. To the extent they
contribute to radical animal "rights" organizations,
they aren't helping any animals.

"vegans", in fact, are exceptionally self absorbed
people, and I contend they are likely to do far LESS to
help existing animals in any meaningful way.

>>>now, i have to take particular issue with your portrayal of the meat
>>>industry providing a good life for many animals. That simply is NOT
>>>true. The vast majority of animals raised for meat live HORRIBLE
>>>lives. They are confined to very small areas, pumped with hormones,
>>>body parts removed, and killed in very painful and inhumane ways. Do you
>>>know how a beef cattle is killed? Look it up, it's disgusting. I know,
>>>I live in farm country and I see it every day. Even dairy cows are
>>>often confined to indoor barns and never get to roam. I drive by a
>>>dairy farm almost every day, that is basically a huge metal building
>>>full of cows that can't even turn around. I've never seen them let
>>>outside in years.

>> Some of them have decent lives and some of them don't. If
>>you think they all have HORRIBLE lives then you're being no
>>more realistic about it than someone who thinks they all have
>>decent lives.

> the VAST MAJORITY, i'd say well over 95% live horrible lives. did I
> ever say all? again, what's the point? does it make a difference if
> it's all, or most, or 95% or 50%?

You have done ZERO research to allow you legitimately
to reach any percentage. You're just shooting wildly
in the dark, but aiming numerically high.

>>>your #7 is outrageous. what exactly are you thinking of? A vegetable
>>>crop that kills more animals than meat?

>> From the life and death of a grass raised steer people can
>>get over 500 servings of beef. A few meals of tofu are likely
>>to involve more deaths than 500 meals from grass raised beef.
>>From the life and death of a grass raised dairy cow people can
>>get thousands of dairy servings. A few servings of rice milk are
>>likely to involve more deaths than a thousand servings of grass
>>raised cow milk.

> you are full of it. you did not give any example. what deaths? there
> simply are not any animal deaths involved in tofu production. get real.

No, you get real, liar. Animals living in soybean
fields are slaughtered wholesale in the course of
tilling the field and harvesting the crop. Most likely
there also is some kind of active pest control
practiced in the field. Once the crop is harvested, it
is stored somewhere before being distributed, and
vegetable storage facilities ACTIVELY exterminate
rodents. Those deaths COUNT against you, buddy.

> the fact is that for every pound of beef produced, hundreds of pounds of
> grain must be grown and hundreds of gallons of water are wasted.

As far as the beef most North Americans actually eat,
some animal-killing grains IS produced and used. Your
ratio is far off, indicating again you don't know what
you're talking about. The actual ratio of grain:beef
is about 6:1, not hundreds to one. As to the "waste"
of water, it isn't a waste; it is just an input. Rice
production "wastes" water by your argument, and in
fact, Californian rice farmers do indeed waste water
prodigiously, as the water is heavily subsidized, and
they have zero incentive to conserve it.

> The entire earth could live off the grain and water that is wasted
> to feed cattle.

Doubtful, but irrelevant anyway. The use of the grain
and the water are not "waste"; they are inputs to a
production process like any other.

> get your facts straight. you are completely wrong on this
> one.

You appear to be the one who is completely wrong, as
you don't know AT ALL what you're talking about.

> do you know how many pounds of grain and gallons of water are
> required to raise that head of beef that makes 500 servings? I guess
> not because if you did you would not make that statement.

I don't have to guess, dummy; I KNOW that you don't
know what you're talking about when you say "hundreds"
of pounds of grain go into producing one pound of beef.
That is a lie.

>>>you should get your facts straight before you state them as "facts".
>>>
>>>It sounds to me like you are just another meat eater trying to justify
>>>your cruel habit. Virtually all your statements are completely false.

>> They are all true, as was the main point which is that there
>>are quite a few significan facts that you veg*ns do *not* want
>>people to consider. That's because you care more about
>>promoting veg*nism than you do about human influence on
>>animals.

> I supposed you know exactly what I think and believe and what I want to
> do.

In fact, dummy, when you declare yourself "vegan", you
DO INDEED reveal far more about your thoughts and
beliefs than you realize. Among other things, you
reveal that you are a rather radical leftist in your
political thinking. By revealing yourself to be
"vegan", I know EVERYTHING you think on political and
social issues. I've made this claim before in these
groups, and I have been proved right EVERY time.

> your original statement is full of generalizations of what vegans
> think and do.

Those generalizations are correct.

> how would you know what I think? how do you know what i
> care about?

Because "veganism" is a marker that is INTENDED to
reveal a lot more than merely what you eat. It is a
signal.

[snip remaining foam-at-the-mouth rant]

Gary Beckwith

Jonathan Ball wrote:

> > now, i have to take particular issue with your portrayal of the meat
> > industry providing a good life for many animals. That simply is NOT
> > true. The vast majority of animals raised for meat live HORRIBLE
> > lives. They are confined to very small areas, pumped with hormones,
> > body parts removed, and killed in very painful and inhumane ways.

> Prove any of this. Get busy.

I don't have to prove it, there are dozens of books already written,
with photos, first hand accounts from farmers, etc. read Diet for A New
America.

> > Do you
> > know how a beef cattle is killed? Look it up, it's disgusting. I know,
> > I live in farm country and I see it every day.

> Beef cattle are not slaughtered in farm country. Stop
> lying.

My point was not about WHERE they are slaughtered, it is about HOW. The
WHERE has nothing to do with it.

> > Even dairy cows are
> > often confined to indoor barns and never get to roam. I drive by a
> > dairy farm almost every day, that is basically a huge metal building
> > full of cows that can't even turn around. I've never seen them let
> > outside in years.

> You've never been inside the building, either, so you
> don't know what you're talking about.

> > your #7 is outrageous. what exactly are you thinking of? A vegetable
> > crop that kills more animals than meat?

> Fields are disced, and when the crops are harvested,
> heavy machinery again drives through the fields,
> killing animals.

killing what animals? the bugs in the soil? this is rediculous.
Jonathan Ball

Gary Beckwith wrote:

> Jonathan Ball wrote:
>

>>>now, i have to take particular issue with your portrayal of the meat
>>>industry providing a good life for many animals. That simply is NOT
>>>true. The vast majority of animals raised for meat live HORRIBLE
>>>lives. They are confined to very small areas, pumped with hormones,
>>>body parts removed, and killed in very painful and inhumane ways.

>>Prove any of this. Get busy.
>>

> I don't have to prove it, there are dozens of books already written,

Cite them.

> with photos, first hand accounts from farmers, etc. read Diet for A New
> America.

Worthless propaganda by someone who ought to know
better, and probably does, but willfully lies.

>>>Do you
>>>know how a beef cattle is killed? Look it up, it's disgusting. I know,
>>>I live in farm country and I see it every day.

>>Beef cattle are not slaughtered in farm country. Stop
>>lying.

> My point was not about WHERE they are slaughtered, it is about HOW. The
> WHERE has nothing to do with it.

Liar. You claimed to know the HOW because you live in
farm country, which is a WHE

I know [how beef cattle are slaughtered], I live in
farm country and I see it every day.

You LIED. You do NOT see it every day. In fact, you
filthy liar, you have NEVER seen it.

Admit it: you LIED.

>>>Even dairy cows are
>>>often confined to indoor barns and never get to roam. I drive by a
>>>dairy farm almost every day, that is basically a huge metal building
>>>full of cows that can't even turn around. I've never seen them let
>>>outside in years.

>>You've never been inside the building, either, so you
>>don't know what you're talking about.

Predictably, no comment. You liked about your
knowledge of dairy cattle operations, too.

Just out of curiosity, is there anything you HAVEN'T
lied about in this thread?

>>>your #7 is outrageous. what exactly are you thinking of? A vegetable
>>>crop that kills more animals than meat?

>>Fields are disced, and when the crops are harvested,
>>heavy machinery again drives through the fields,
>>killing animals.

> killing what animals? the bugs in the soil? this is rediculous.

No, dummy. Burrowing mammals, birds, reptiles. What's
"rediculous" [sic] about it?

usual suspect

Gary Beckwith wrote:
> you are full of vegan baloney!
>
> first of all eating vegan DOES help animals because it decreases demand
> for meat.

No, it doesn't. Vegans constitute a very tiny minority, at least in the
developed nations of the world, and their dietary habits have negligible
influence on the lives of farm animals. What would improve the quality
of farm animals is if you were to consume animals raised organically and
in humane conditions. Such operations do exist. The fact that you have
chosen to play an either-or game rather than support humane ranching
does nothing to help the plight of any animal.

> second, vegan is not just an eating habit.

No shit, Sherlock. It is a radical political act.

> it is a way of life.

Yes, a sheltered and peculiar act of self-marginalization. Such actions
become a "way of life" particularly when one ostracizes societal norms
and puts oneself on the fringe. VeganISM is a subculture.

> many
> vegans don't just refrain from eating meat, they also contribute to
> organizations such as Farm Sanctuary or PETA,

This doesn't make it a way of life. Others, who are not vegan, are free
to support animal welfare programs and agencies -- which, incidentally,
are not concerns of PETA (Peta is for animal rights, not welfare).

> that have many programs
> that directly affect the welfare of animals.

Veganism has nothing to do with the welfare of animals and everything to
do with an anti-capitalist political philosophy which has been rejected
in nearly every nation where it's been tried. The exceptions maintain
their anti-capitalism by force, not by popular choice.

> now, i have to take particular issue with your portrayal of the meat
> industry providing a good life for many animals.

Why?

> That simply is NOT true.

Actually, it IS true. Animals with economic value are treated better
than animals with no economic value. You ignore this point when shocking
yourself and friends with PETA propaganda pamphlets, but visit a farm
for yourself and see how animals are treated. Sick animals don't gain
weight, they lose weight; sick animals don't bring more revenue, they
drain revenue; sick animals do not save ranchers money, they lose
ranchers money.

> The vast majority of animals raised for meat live HORRIBLE
> lives.

Care to prove that wild accusation?

> They are confined to very small areas,

Even veal calves, long the poster-animals of benighted zealots like
yourself, are not kept in crates in the US. "The vast majority of
animals raised for meat" in fact have sufficient range to move.
Confinement is the exception, though it does have some merit: it
prevents disease in younger animals, injuries from aggressive or
territorial animals, etc. I realize in some parts of the country the
scale of farming requires intensive methods including confinement; this,
though, is usually a function of restricted land-use and economies of scale.

> pumped with hormones,

Do you have any information from agencies not opposed to
ranching/farming to support this?

> body parts removed,

Evidence from sources not polluted with the kind of partisanship of Peta
or other activist groups? If it's wrong to castrate bull calves, do you
promote spaying and neutering of dogs and cats?

> and killed in very painful and inhumane ways.

Do you have any direct evidence of this? I'm from a ranching family, and
I've slaughtered more than my share of steers. It was neither inhumane
nor painful for any animal.

<snip>

> I know,
> I live in farm country and I see it every day.

You do not know, and you probably live in the suburbs if you live near
any "farm country." Cattle aren't slaughtered out in the pasture,
nitwit. USDA makes sure of that.

> Even dairy cows are
> often confined to indoor barns and never get to roam.

Some dairy cattle are confined, MOST are not. The reasons can be
manifold, but most cattle roam pastures as long as there's sufficient
forage for grazing.

> I drive by a
> dairy farm almost every day, that is basically a huge metal building
> full of cows that can't even turn around. I've never seen them let
> outside in years.

How do you know they cannot turn around? Have you ever gone inside the
"huge metal building"?

> your #7 is outrageous. what exactly are you thinking of? A vegetable
> crop that kills more animals than meat?

Yes. Pesticides, herbicides, farm machinery, etc. It all takes a toll on
animals -- a heavy toll in death and dismemberment. Davey's seventh
point is correct.

> you should get your facts straight before you state them as "facts".

So should you, Einstein.

> It sounds to me like you are just another meat eater trying to justify
> your cruel habit. Virtually all your statements are completely false.

Davey isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, but in this case he's
correct.

> If you do some research, read some books, you'll get the real facts.

If you do some research rather than reading propaganda from groups like
Peta, maybe you'll get the real facts.

> But then I suppose you'll turn on your blinders and then start talking
> about how vegetables feel just as much pain when they are killed so
> there's no reason to be vegetarian. I've actually heard that one
> before.

No, he'll keep on about animals and life. He doesn't alter his posts one
bit. As for wearing blinders, what's your excuse, country boy?

> Look, if you want to eat meat, go ahead and do it. No one is stopping
> you.

Groups you support are aligned with the sole purpose of making it harder
for some people to eat what they want. Stop supporting anti-meat
organizations if you're so libertarian. Otherwise, stop whining when
others clear up your misunderstandings about ranching and animal welfare.

> Don't try to tell vegetarians that their lifestyle is wrong,
> though.

It's a free country and he can do that if he wants.

> Especially if you are going to make your argument is completely
> untrue.

Especially if you're going to write bad sentences. Ick.

Gary Beckwith

i have no responsibility to prove anything to you. you are obviously
closed minded anyway. to say it is worthless propoganda shows your
point of view already. why should I waste my time. the truth is, it is
NOT worthless propaganda when people who have spent their lifetimes
raising cattle tell their stories. photos don't lie either.

Jonathan Ball wrote:

> Gary Beckwith wrote:

> >>Prove any of this. Get busy.
> >>

> > I don't have to prove it, there are dozens of books already written,

> Cite them.
>
> > with photos, first hand accounts from farmers, etc. read Diet for A New
> > America.

> Worthless propaganda by someone who ought to know
> better, and probably does, but willfully lies.

> >>Beef cattle are not slaughtered in farm country. Stop
> >>lying.

> > My point was not about WHERE they are slaughtered, it is about HOW. The
> > WHERE has nothing to do with it.

> Liar. You claimed to know the HOW because you live in
> farm country, which is a WHE
>
> I know [how beef cattle are slaughtered], I live in
> farm country and I see it every day.
>
> You LIED. You do NOT see it every day. In fact, you
> filthy liar, you have NEVER seen it.
>
> Admit it: you LIED.

> >>You've never been inside the building, either, so you
> >>don't know what you're talking about.

> Predictably, no comment. You liked about your
> knowledge of dairy cattle operations, too.
>
> Just out of curiosity, is there anything you HAVEN'T
> lied about in this thread?

> >>Fields are disced, and when the crops are harvested,
> >>heavy machinery again drives through the fields,
> >>killing animals.

> > killing what animals? the bugs in the soil? this is rediculous.

> No, dummy. Burrowing mammals, birds, reptiles. What's
> "rediculous" [sic] about it?

Gary Beckwith

whatever, I find it quite odd that people who eat meat have the time to
criticize people who don't even though it has nothing to do with them.

it's just like being environmental, and recycling. I've heard people say
it's a waste of time to recycle because there's so much garbage. Or why
buy an electric car, or use solar panels on your house, when it won't
really make a difference.

The truth is, that if everyone ate vegetarian, there would be enough
food to feed the entire world. and if everyone used renewable energy
our planet would be inhabitable in 100 years.

I didn't start this discussion. I don't go out of my way to tell people
they should or shouldn't do anything. You can eat all the meat you
want. But don't litter this newsgroup with lies and point the finger at
people who are making personal decisions that have nothing to do with
yours.

usual suspect wrote:

> [...]

> > before.

> No, he'll keep on about animals and life. He doesn't alter his posts one
> bit. As for wearing blinders, what's your excuse, country boy?
>
> > Look, if you want to eat meat, go ahead and do it. No one is stopping
> > you.

> Groups you support are aligned with the sole purpose of making it harder
> for some people to eat what they want. Stop supporting anti-meat
> organizations if you're so libertarian. Otherwise, stop whining when
> others clear up your misunderstandings about ranching and animal welfare.
>
> > Don't try to tell vegetarians that their lifestyle is wrong,
> > though.

> It's a free country and he can do that if he wants.
>
> > Especially if you are going to make your argument is completely
> > untrue.

> Especially if you're going to write bad sentences. Ick.

Jonathan Ball

Gary Beckwith wrote:

> i have no responsibility to prove anything to you.

You have an intellectual responsibility to support your
claims. That you don't even attempt to support them,
particularly after shrilly demanding that others
support theirs, indicates not just the intellectual
bankruptcy of your position, but a massive character
flaw as well.

The massive character flaw, of course, was already in
evidence, when you LIED about your basis for knowing
about cattle slaughter and dairy farm operations. The
flaw is revealed as even deeper than expected, when you
top-post and refuse to address the fact that you LIED.

> you are obviously closed minded anyway.

Non sequitur, and not based on either logic or
observation. You merely don't like that I disagree
with you.

> to say it is worthless propoganda shows your
> point of view already.

Robbins is a polemicist and propagandist, not a scientist.

> why should I waste my time. the truth is, it is
> NOT worthless propaganda when people who have spent their lifetimes
> raising cattle tell their stories. photos don't lie either.
>
> Jonathan Ball wrote:
>
>>Gary Beckwith wrote:

>>>I don't have to prove it, there are dozens of books already written,

>>Cite them.
>>

>>>with photos, first hand accounts from farmers, etc. read Diet for A New
>>>America.

>>Worthless propaganda by someone who ought to know
>>better, and probably does, but willfully lies.

>>>My point was not about WHERE they are slaughtered, it is about HOW. The
>>>WHERE has nothing to do with it.

>>Liar. You claimed to know the HOW because you live in
>>farm country, which is a WHE
>>
>> I know [how beef cattle are slaughtered], I live in
>> farm country and I see it every day.
>>
>>You LIED. You do NOT see it every day. In fact, you
>>filthy liar, you have NEVER seen it.
>>
>>Admit it: you LIED.

>>Predictably, no comment. You liked about your
>>knowledge of dairy cattle operations, too.
>>
>>Just out of curiosity, is there anything you HAVEN'T
>>lied about in this thread?

>>>killing what animals? the bugs in the soil? this is rediculous.

>>No, dummy. Burrowing mammals, birds, reptiles. What's
>>"rediculous" [sic] about it?

rick etter

"Gary Beckwith" > wrote in message
> you are full of vegan baloney!
>
> first of all eating vegan DOES help animals because it decreases demand
> for meat.

=======================
And increases the demand for veggies that can cause even more animals to
die.
Why is it that only the big moo-eyed cows count toward all this vegan
'saving'?

> second, vegan is not just an eating habit. it is a way of life.

======================
Which is not being followed by *ANY* so-called vegan here on usenet.

many
> vegans don't just refrain from eating meat, they also contribute to
> organizations such as Farm Sanctuary or PETA, that have many programs
> that directly affect the welfare of animals.

================
You do realize don't you that PeTA(the 'e' is lower case in their logo for a
reason) kills more
animals than it saves once they get their bloody hands on them don't you?

> now, i have to take particular issue with your portrayal of the meat
> industry providing a good life for many animals. That simply is NOT
> true. The vast majority of animals raised for meat live HORRIBLE
> lives. They are confined to very small areas, pumped with hormones,
> body parts removed, and killed in very painful and inhumane ways. Do you
> know how a beef cattle is killed? Look it up, it's disgusting.

=====================
It's killed in a far more humane fashion than the animals that die to
provide you with your cheap, conveninet veggies, hypocrite.
Have you seen what poisons do to an animals gut over the course of a few
days, while they die a slow painful death?

I know,
> I live in farm country and I see it every day. Even dairy cows are
> often confined to indoor barns and never get to roam. I drive by a
> dairy farm almost every day, that is basically a huge metal building
> full of cows that can't even turn around. I've never seen them let
> outside in years.
>
> your #7 is outrageous. what exactly are you thinking of? A vegetable
> crop that kills more animals than meat?

====================
Yes, exactly. Look it up, killer. Plowing, spraying, harvesting, all can
cause death and suffering to animals.
Some crops even more so than others. Plus, your crops provide abundant
cover and easy food, allowing
the populations of many animals to explode over the summer. Then what
happens once these numbers are at their peak?
You take away all the food and cover, leaving the animals to suffer from
starvation and predation. Face it, crop production
is a killing proposition. And, that doesn't even include all the
petro-chemical input for the production, processing, and transportation of
your crops.

> you should get your facts straight before you state them as "facts".

==================
I suggest you get your's lined up first before you look even more stupid
than you already do.

> It sounds to me like you are just another meat eater trying to justify
> your cruel habit.

=================
No need. We accept that death occurs. Now, why do you try to justify all
the death
and suffering you cause?

Virtually all your statements are completely false.
=====================
Everyone of yours is....

> If you do some research, read some books, you'll get the real facts.
> But then I suppose you'll turn on your blinders and then start talking
> about how vegetables feel just as much pain when they are killed so
> there's no reason to be vegetarian. I've actually heard that one
> before.

==================
ROTFLMAO I suggest you worry about the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, and
amphibians tha die for no more reason
than your selfish conveninece.

> Look, if you want to eat meat, go ahead and do it. No one is stopping
> you. Don't try to tell vegetarians that their lifestyle is wrong,
> though. Especially if you are going to make your argument is completely
> untrue.

==================
It's yours that is completly untrue and full of ignorance. And, vegans are
always trying to tell us how to eat.

> Gary
>
> wrote:
> >
> > It appears that in order to think of things in the correct and

ethically
> > superior way, some people believe we should disregard certain facts.
> > Overall it appears to me that veg*ns want to disregard more facts than
> > meat consumers, but maybe I'm wrong about that. The following are
> > lists of facts that meat eaters want to disregard, and that veg*ns want
> > to disregard. If you have more to add, please do so.
> >
> > Facts that meat consumers want to disregard:
> > 1.The meat industry provides life for the billions of animals who are
> > killed so we can eat them.
> >
> > Facts that veg*ns want to disregard:
> > 1.The meat industry provides life for the billions of animals who are
> > killed so we can eat them.
> > 2. Some of the animals raised for food have decent lives.
> > 3. Veg*nism does nothing to provide decent lives for farm animals.
> > 4. Veg*nism does nothing to help or provide more life for any animals.
> > 5. People can contribute to decent lives for farm animals, but they
> > can't do it by being veg*n.
> > 6. Veg*ns contribute to most of the same animal deaths that everyone
> > else does by their use of wood, paper, roads, buildings,

electricity,
> > things that contain animal by-products, and the veggies they eat.
> > 7. Some types of meat involve fewer animal deaths than some types of
> > veggies.
> > 8. Some types of meat involve less animal suffering than some types of
> > veggies.

usual suspect

Gary Beckwith wrote:
> whatever, I find it quite odd that people who eat meat have the time to
> criticize people who don't even though it has nothing to do with them.

I don't eat meat. I also don't consume dairy or eggs. Shatters your
illusion, huh.

> it's just like being environmental, and recycling.

No, it isn't.

> I've heard people say it's a waste of time to recycle because there's
> so much garbage.

Who cares what you've heard? Most of the people I know DO recycle. It
has nothing at all to do with this thread, but I know you're out of ammo
now that you've been called out on your country boy claims.

> Or why buy an electric car,

Shit, with the cost of electricity in my city? No way I'd ever get an
electric car. If everyone (since you seem to like such thoughts) had an
electric car, we'd have to build more nuclear power plants to keep up
with electrical demand. You want more nuclear power? Or want us to burn
more coal and natural gas (the two main non-nuke sources of energy in
the US)? Funny, you leftists seem to want us to use less energy.

> or use solar panels on your house, when it won't
> really make a difference.

Irrelevant, Gary. Solar panels are only cost-effective for certain
situations.

> The truth is, that if everyone ate vegetarian, there would be enough
> food to feed the entire world.

That is not the truth. There is enough food to feed the entire world
already. The problem lies in distribution.

> and if everyone used renewable energy
> our planet would be inhabitable in 100 years.

The planet will still be inhabitable in 500 years. Stop getting your
talking points from failed policy wonks. The assholes feeding you this
nonsense, like Paul Ehrlich, were the ones who said we'd go to another
ice age. They were wrong about the coming ice age, they're wrong about
everything else now that they've changed their minds.

> I didn't start this discussion.

You participated.

> I don't go out of my way to tell people they should or shouldn't
> do anything.

You made claims which you failed to support with evidence. The best
you've done is make reference to one book written by an activist.
Where's your evidence from mainstream sources?

> You can eat all the meat you want.

I don't eat any.

> But don't litter this newsgroup with lies and point the finger at
> people who are making personal decisions that have nothing to do with
> yours.

Whoa, wait one ****ing minute. You're the one who's made unsupported
claims. You do not get a pass by calling others liars without supporting
your own assertions. That's really pathetic. As for finger-pointing, wtf
are you doing to me? Loser.

PS: Quit top-posting and go back and respond point-by-point to what I
wrote, country boy.

Jonathan Ball

Stop top-posting, shitbag.

Gary Beckwith wrote:

> whatever, I find it quite odd that people who eat meat have the time to
> criticize people who don't even though it has nothing to do with them.

It has a lot to do with us. "veganism" is an
aggressive movement that seeks ultimately to impose its
values on those who disagree with "vegan" fanatics.

> it's just like being environmental, and recycling. I've heard people say
> it's a waste of time to recycle because there's so much garbage. Or why
> buy an electric car, or use solar panels on your house, when it won't
> really make a difference.
>
> The truth is, that if everyone ate vegetarian, there would be enough
> food to feed the entire world.

There already is more than enough food to feed the
entire world, EVEN WITH the consumption of grain by
livestock. You indicate that you are utterly ignorant
of the economics of world hunger.

> and if everyone used renewable energy
> our planet would be inhabitable in 100 years.
>
> I didn't start this discussion.

Yes, you did.

> I don't go out of my way to tell people
> they should or shouldn't do anything.

It's implicit in "veganism". You feel you're doing
something "more" ethical by not consuming Animal Parts,
and it's quite natural to think that everyone else
ought to do likewise. In fact, if you DIDN'T feel that
everyone ought to do likewise, then it would be even
further removed from being a legitimate ethical choice.

It always amazes me that people are so indoctrinated
into moral relativism that when they behave, or believe
they are behaving, differently on ethical matters from
others, they can pretend there is no implied criticism
of those who don't believe and practice as they do.
Thus, for example, people who proclaim themselves
"personally" opposed to abortion, but out the other
side of their mouths say they don't want to "impose
their values" on those who want an abortion, are
massive hypocrites. If it's wrong for them to
extinguish the life of an unborn human fetus, then they
MUST necessarily believe that it is wrong for everyone.

You are LYING, again, if you say you don't want to tell
others what to eat.

> You can eat all the meat you want.

There's your lie again.

> But don't litter this newsgroup with lies and point the finger at
> people who are making personal decisions that have nothing to do with
> yours.

The "personal decisions" are based on lies and illogic.

rick etter

> wrote in message
ink.net...
> wrote:

snippage...

> > Some of them have decent lives and some of them don't.

> That's merely your opinion, and it is based on ignorance.

==================
Just as it is vegan ignorance that says they have bad lives?

> > If you think they all have HORRIBLE lives then you're being no
> > more realistic about it than someone who thinks they all have
> > decent lives.

> If one thinks that it is horrible to kill an animal for
> human consumption, then they indeed all have horrible
> lives.

=======================
Why is vegans never consider it bad to kill animals and then NOT eat them?
happens all the time for your veggies production.

> >>your #7 is outrageous. what exactly are you thinking of? A vegetable
> >>crop that kills more animals than meat?

> > From the life and death of a grass raised steer people can
> > get over 500 servings of beef.

> You are a massive hypocrite. You do not eat grass-fed
> beef. You do not make any effort at all to choose meat
> from sources that treated animals better than the
> average for their industries. You buy whatever beef,
> chicken, pork and other that Piggly Wiggly has in
> shrink-wrapped packages. You are not an ethical meat
> eater.

====================
Grass fed beef is quite easy to find, oh master mind-reader. The ones I eat
are raised just down the road, and are slaughtered
just a few more miles down the road. They aren't 'kept' in barns or stalls
either. They have an open 'shed' they can go into if they please, but they
mostly roam the fields doing what cows do best. Eating grasses.

> > A few meals of tofu are likely
> > to involve more deaths than 500 meals from grass raised beef.

> You have no support for that claim. It's idle,
> ignorant speculation.

=====================
No, it's not. What is speculative about pesticide deaths of animals? what
is speculative about poisoning animals at storage and processing facilities?
I think it's your blinders getting in the way.
Animals die in crop production. It's not a game. It's not speculation.
Plowing, spraying, harvesting are all machine intensive operations. their
direct usage
kills animals. the indirect costs from the petro-chemical industry causes
even more.

Have a nice blood-drenched dinner, killer...

Here are some sites, with info on specific areas and
pesticides. Animal die...
http://www.abcbirds.org/pesticides/pesticideindex.htm
http://www.pmac.net/summer-rivers.html
http://www.pmac.net/fishkill.htm
http://www.pmac.net/summer-rivers.html
http://www.pmac.net/bird_fish_CA.html
http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Pn36/pn36p3.htm
http://www.wwfcanada.org/satellite/p...feFactSheet.pd

Since your non-animal clothing isn't cruelty-free either,
here's a couple to cover some problems with cotton.
http://www.panna.org/panna/resources...Cotton.dv.html
http://www.sustainablecotton.org/TOUR/

To give you an idea of the sheer number of animals in a field,
here's some sites about *just* mice and voles. Note that there
can be 100s to 1000s in each acre, not the whole field.
http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache...state.edu/pubs
/natres/06507.pdf+%22voles+per+acre%22+field&hl=en&ie=UTF8
http://extension.usu.edu/publica/natrpubs/voles.pdf
http://extension.ag.uidaho.edu/district4/MG/voles.html
http://www.forages.css.orst.edu/Topi...rate/Mice.html

To cover your selfish pleasure of using usenet, and
maintaining a web page on same, here's are a couple
dealing with power and communications.
http://www.clearwater.org/news/powerplants.html
http://www.towerkill.com/index.html
Just a little extra proof that they are NO vegans on usenet.

snippage...

rick etter

"Gary Beckwith" > wrote in message

> Jonathan Ball wrote:
>

> > > now, i have to take particular issue with your portrayal of the meat
> > > industry providing a good life for many animals. That simply is NOT
> > > true. The vast majority of animals raised for meat live HORRIBLE
> > > lives. They are confined to very small areas, pumped with hormones,
> > > body parts removed, and killed in very painful and inhumane ways.

> > Prove any of this. Get busy.
> >

> I don't have to prove it, there are dozens of books already written,
> with photos, first hand accounts from farmers, etc. read Diet for A New
> America.

==============
Yes, you do. You made a claim about meat. Starnge that I see the cows that
I end up eating roaming the fields right down the road day and night.
Never seen tham in a stall, since there are none. never seen them in a
crate, since there are none. So, come on, prove to me that these cows are
just a figment of my imagination, and that your so-called proof isn't just
the same trumped up stuff shown over and over and over....

> > > Do you
> > > know how a beef cattle is killed? Look it up, it's disgusting. I

know,
> > > I live in farm country and I see it every day.

> > Beef cattle are not slaughtered in farm country. Stop
> > lying.

> My point was not about WHERE they are slaughtered, it is about HOW. The
> WHERE has nothing to do with it.
> ========================

Some are. Some are slaughtered right on the farms at smaller operations.
But, the fact still remains, they die a far more humane death than the
animals that die for your cheap, conveninet veggies.

> > > Even dairy cows are
> > > often confined to indoor barns and never get to roam. I drive by a
> > > dairy farm almost every day, that is basically a huge metal building
> > > full of cows that can't even turn around. I've never seen them let
> > > outside in years.

> > You've never been inside the building, either, so you
> > don't know what you're talking about.

> > > your #7 is outrageous. what exactly are you thinking of? A vegetable
> > > crop that kills more animals than meat?

> > Fields are disced, and when the crops are harvested,
> > heavy machinery again drives through the fields,
> > killing animals.

> killing what animals? the bugs in the soil? this is rediculous.

=======================
No, ignorant fool. mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, and amphibians. Are you
really that stupid as to have to ask?
Now, if you want to discuss bugs, let's go right ahead. what do you think
they are? Mineral? Seem like live creatures to me though.
Want to add them to your 'account' of death and suffering of living
creatures just so that YOU can live a selfish, convenient lifestyle?

[...]

usual suspect

Jonathan Ball wrote:
>> whatever, I find it quite odd that people who eat meat have the time to
>> criticize people who don't even though it has nothing to do with them.

> It has a lot to do with us. "veganism" is an aggressive movement that
> seeks ultimately to impose its values on those who disagree with "vegan"
> fanatics.

Yes, and this is the reason Robbins writes his books. It isn't enough to
point to the healthy benefits of adding whole grains, fruits, and
vegetables to one's diet. He instead vilifies industries that involve
livestock and presents disinformation that those industries are
responsible for hunger and nearly every societal ill. The solutions
offered are not moderate, but radical: elimination of meat and dairy
industries.

Gary's tolerance is baseless in the respect that he offers such a
radical source as evidence. He willfully ignores the problem of
collateral deaths in production of plant-based foods. He wants to change
the world, but he cannot even change himself.

>> The truth is, that if everyone ate vegetarian, there would be enough
>> food to feed the entire world.

> There already is more than enough food to feed the entire world, EVEN
> WITH the consumption of grain by livestock. You indicate that you are
> utterly ignorant of the economics of world hunger.

The problem of hunger is based on three main variables, which are best
summed up into one. The three main variables are war, famine, and
poverty; they are summed up by the problem of distribution. We can and
do drop food into Somalia, but most people there are unlikely to receive
very much, if any, because it's captured by warlords who use it to
increase their power bases. We can and do feed other regions hit by
drought, which only encourages them to remain in unproductive regions.
We can and do provide food to people of poor nations, whose governments
are usually corrupt and/or repressive (e.g., North Korea).

>> and if everyone used renewable energy
>> our planet would be inhabitable in 100 years.
>>
>> I didn't start this discussion.

> Yes, you did.
>
>> I don't go out of my way to tell people
>> they should or shouldn't do anything.

> It's implicit in "veganism". You feel you're doing something "more"
> ethical by not consuming Animal Parts, and it's quite natural to think
> that everyone else ought to do likewise. In fact, if you DIDN'T feel
> that everyone ought to do likewise, then it would be even further
> removed from being a legitimate ethical choice.
>
> It always amazes me that people are so indoctrinated into moral
> relativism that when they behave, or believe they are behaving,
> differently on ethical matters from others, they can pretend there is no
> implied criticism of those who don't believe and practice as they do.
> Thus, for example, people who proclaim themselves "personally" opposed
> to abortion, but out the other side of their mouths say they don't want
> to "impose their values" on those who want an abortion, are massive
> hypocrites. If it's wrong for them to extinguish the life of an unborn
> human fetus, then they MUST necessarily believe that it is wrong for
> everyone.
>
> You are LYING, again, if you say you don't want to tell others what to eat.

Very well put, Mr Ball. Gary's hypocrisy is pretty blatant.

>> You can eat all the meat you want.

> There's your lie again.

"If everyone ate vegetarian" kind of blows up his notion of tolerance.
So do his sources -- PETA and Robbins.

>> But don't litter this newsgroup with lies and point the finger at
>> people who are making personal decisions that have nothing to do with
>> yours.

> The "personal decisions" are based on lies and illogic.

All of which makes for a super-sized portion of self-delusion.

Gary Beckwith

Whatever dude. You can call Robbins a propgandist all you want. Photos
don't lie. Have fun eating meat.

Jonathan Ball wrote:

> Gary Beckwith wrote:
>
> > i have no responsibility to prove anything to you.

> You have an intellectual responsibility to support your
> claims. That you don't even attempt to support them,
> particularly after shrilly demanding that others
> support theirs, indicates not just the intellectual
> bankruptcy of your position, but a massive character
> flaw as well.
>
> The massive character flaw, of course, was already in
> evidence, when you LIED about your basis for knowing
> about cattle slaughter and dairy farm operations. The
> flaw is revealed as even deeper than expected, when you
> top-post and refuse to address the fact that you LIED.
>
> > you are obviously closed minded anyway.

> Non sequitur, and not based on either logic or
> observation. You merely don't like that I disagree
> with you.
>
> > to say it is worthless propoganda shows your
> > point of view already.

> Robbins is a polemicist and propagandist, not a scientist.
>
> > why should I waste my time. the truth is, it is
> > NOT worthless propaganda when people who have spent their lifetimes
> > raising cattle tell their stories. photos don't lie either.
> >
> > Jonathan Ball wrote:

> >>Cite them.

> >>Worthless propaganda by someone who ought to know
> >>better, and probably does, but willfully lies.

> >>Liar. You claimed to know the HOW because you live in
> >>farm country, which is a WHE
> >>
> >> I know [how beef cattle are slaughtered], I live in
> >> farm country and I see it every day.
> >>
> >>You LIED. You do NOT see it every day. In fact, you
> >>filthy liar, you have NEVER seen it.
> >>
> >>Admit it: you LIED.

> >>Predictably, no comment. You liked about your
> >>knowledge of dairy cattle operations, too.
> >>
> >>Just out of curiosity, is there anything you HAVEN'T
> >>lied about in this thread?

> >>No, dummy. Burrowing mammals, birds, reptiles. What's
> >>"rediculous" [sic] about it?

rick etter

"Gary Beckwith" > wrote in message
> whatever, I find it quite odd that people who eat meat have the time to
> criticize people who don't even though it has nothing to do with them.
> =================

More odd than ignorant bozos trying to make sure others can't continue to
eat what they want? Vegans are part of
groups that would tell others what they can or cannot eat. That makes it
everyones business, hypocrite.

> it's just like being environmental, and recycling. I've heard people say
> it's a waste of time to recycle because there's so much garbage. Or why
> buy an electric car, or use solar panels on your house, when it won't
> really make a difference.
>
> The truth is, that if everyone ate vegetarian, there would be enough
> food to feed the entire world.

======================
Hey, loser. there already is enough food to feed the world, and much still
goes to waste through spoilage.
eating meat has nothing to do with what the world does or doesn't have.

and if everyone used renewable energy
> our planet would be inhabitable in 100 years.
>
> I didn't start this discussion. I don't go out of my way to tell people
> they should or shouldn't do anything. You can eat all the meat you
> want. But don't litter this newsgroup with lies and point the finger at
> people who are making personal decisions that have nothing to do with
> yours.

===============
It's YOUR lys that are being discussed here killer. No one on this side is
lying.

> [...]

> > No, he'll keep on about animals and life. He doesn't alter his posts one
> > bit. As for wearing blinders, what's your excuse, country boy?
> >
> > > Look, if you want to eat meat, go ahead and do it. No one is stopping
> > > you.

> > Groups you support are aligned with the sole purpose of making it harder
> > for some people to eat what they want. Stop supporting anti-meat
> > organizations if you're so libertarian. Otherwise, stop whining when
> > others clear up your misunderstandings about ranching and animal

welfare.

> > > Don't try to tell vegetarians that their lifestyle is wrong,
> > > though.

> > It's a free country and he can do that if he wants.
> >
> > > Especially if you are going to make your argument is completely
> > > untrue.

> > Especially if you're going to write bad sentences. Ick.

Gary Beckwith

rick etter wrote:

> > ========================

> Some are. Some are slaughtered right on the farms at smaller operations.
> But, the fact still remains, they die a far more humane death than the
> animals that die for your cheap, conveninet veggies.

can someone tell me what the heck you are talking about? that is
ludicrous. you people keep saying this but have not substantiated it a
single time. what animals are dying by the production of this organic
carrot in my hand? get real.

Jonathan Ball

Gary Beckwith wrote:

> Whatever dude.

The "whatever", "dude", is that you are a liar.

> You can call Robbins a propgandist all you want.

Robbins IS a propagandist. He has no expertise in any
of the stuff he's written about. He's written a book
that tells you what you want to hear, and being a
gullible nitwit, you gobble it right up.

> Photos don't lie.

Actually, photos DO lie, particularly when they are of
some atypical phenomenon that is dishonestly being
passed off as typical.

> Have fun eating meat.

I do.

Have a rotten conscience, knowing that the production
of the foods you eat STILL kills animals, in large numbers.

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:55:21 GMT, wrote:

wrote:

>> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:33:56 GMT, Gary Beckwith > wrote:
>>

>>>you are full of vegan baloney!
>>>
>>>first of all eating vegan DOES help animals because it decreases demand
>>>for meat.

>> Which animals does it help, and how does it help them?
>>

>>>second, vegan is not just an eating habit. it is a way of life. many
>>>vegans don't just refrain from eating meat, they also contribute to
>>>organizations such as Farm Sanctuary or PETA, that have many programs
>>>that directly affect the welfare of animals.

>> Veg*nism itself does nothing to help animals, regardless of
>> what other things a person does.

>Meat eating does nothing to help animals, either,
>regardless of what other things a person does.

Firstly it provides billions of them with life. After they are born, it provides
them with food, shelter, protection from predators, and medical care. Those
things do help the animals. Some of them still have horrible lives as your
budy pointed out, but some of them have decent lives as well as none of
you want to think about.

>>>now, i have to take particular issue with your portrayal of the meat
>>>industry providing a good life for many animals. That simply is NOT
>>>true. The vast majority of animals raised for meat live HORRIBLE
>>>lives. They are confined to very small areas, pumped with hormones,
>>>body parts removed, and killed in very painful and inhumane ways. Do you
>>>know how a beef cattle is killed? Look it up, it's disgusting. I know,
>>>I live in farm country and I see it every day. Even dairy cows are
>>>often confined to indoor barns and never get to roam. I drive by a
>>>dairy farm almost every day, that is basically a huge metal building
>>>full of cows that can't even turn around. I've never seen them let
>>>outside in years.

>> Some of them have decent lives and some of them don't.

>That's merely your opinion, and it is based on ignorance.

It's based on observation. The first time I went in a broiler house
I just wished that I could provide my own birds with such a nice
environment. Some small percentage of them get beaten on when
they get old enough to be aggresive, some of them get sick, but
the majority of them have decent lives.
Every day I pass hundreds of cattle grazing in fields and nursing
their young. They have decent lives. If they don't like it when it's
their turn in the stock yard--and no one has shown that they don't
like it--then it's the equivalent of other animals' and humans' final
days being worse than the earlier parts of their lives.

>> If you think they all have HORRIBLE lives then you're being no
>> more realistic about it than someone who thinks they all have
>> decent lives.

>If one thinks that it is horrible to kill an animal for
>human consumption, then they indeed all have horrible
>lives.

Well we don't all believe it is horrible to kill them for food. And
some of us think that the methods of slaughter are more humane
than the killing methods you veg*ns contribute to, and also that
they are more humane than starvation, disease and nonhuman
predation which your "AR" buddies feel are ethically superior to
human hunting.
So far no one has been able to explain exactly what is wrong
with killing animals for human consumption btw, they just say that
it is wrong. My prediction is that you can't explain it either, but if
you can, please do so.

>>>your #7 is outrageous. what exactly are you thinking of? A vegetable
>>>crop that kills more animals than meat?

>> From the life and death of a grass raised steer people can
>> get over 500 servings of beef.

>You are a massive hypocrite. You do not eat grass-fed
>beef. You do not make any effort at all to choose meat
>from sources that treated animals better than the
>average for their industries. You buy whatever beef,
>chicken, pork and other that Piggly Wiggly has in
>shrink-wrapped packages. You are not an ethical meat
>eater.

It doesn't matter what I do or don't eat. I could seek out the
cruelest foods possible (I eat a fair amount of rice, and feel
that rice production causes as much death and suffering as
any type of food), and still point out that some types of meat
involve less animal deaths than some types of veggies. You
show desperation by bringing up something as insignificant
as that. I haven't said that I contribute to as few deaths as
possibe. Veg*ns are the ones who say that, and they are
dishonest when they say it.

>> A few meals of tofu are likely
>> to involve more deaths than 500 meals from grass raised beef.

>You have no support for that claim. It's idle,
>ignorant speculation.

Your failure to appreciate facts like that show *without any
doubt!!* that you care more about promoting veg*nism than you
do about human influence on animals. And that has been the
case with EVERY SINGLE VEG*N who has discussed this with
me in these ngs. By this time I have been taught by veg*ns, to
view them as being ethically inferior to their opponents, and
also to people who don't care one way or the other. Veg*ns
want to promote the false impression that veg*nism helps
animals when it does not, and that no types of meat or dairy
involve less animal deaths than any types of veggies. That is
quite disgusting and grossly inconsiderate of animals!!

>> From the life and death of a grass raised dairy cow people can
>> get thousands of dairy servings. A few servings of rice milk are
>> likely to involve more deaths than a thousand servings of grass
>> raised cow milk.
>>

>>>you should get your facts straight before you state them as "facts".
>>>
>>>It sounds to me like you are just another meat eater trying to justify
>>>your cruel habit. Virtually all your statements are completely false.

>> They are all true,

>One of them is completely insignificant: the one about
>the meat and dairy industries "providing life" for farm
>animals.

Well the next time I'm around a herd of cattle I'll tell them that
their lives are completely insignificant, and see if they disapear
or something. My guess is that nothing will change. They will
still be there, living their lives 24/7, just like all the other billions
of farm animals around the world, whether you "think" they are
all insignificant or not.

>> as was the main point which is that there
>> are quite a few significan facts that you veg*ns do *not* want
>> people to consider.

>Vegans not giving any consideration to this stupid
>"providing life" argument is not out of a fear of what
>might be discovered. It is based on a full-knowledge
>awareness that there is nothing to consider.

Then there's no loss when they are killed, so there's nothing
horrible about it.
Jonathan Ball

Gary Beckwith wrote:

> rick etter wrote:
>
>>>========================

>>Some are. Some are slaughtered right on the farms at smaller operations.
>>But, the fact still remains, they die a far more humane death than the
>>animals that die for your cheap, conveninet veggies.
>>

> can someone tell me what the heck you are talking about? that is
> ludicrous. you people keep saying this but have not substantiated it a
> single time. what animals are dying by the production of this organic
> carrot in my hand? get real.

How do you suppose that carrot was grown, DUMMY? The
field was tilled by large machinery, for starters.
That kills burrowing animals and birds. During the
period the carrots were growing, pest animals were
killed in order to prevent them from eating the
carrots. Those animals are just as dead, whether or
not the means of killing them were "organic". Then,
the carrots were mechanically harvested, again by heavy
machinery driving through the fields, destroying animals.

But you don't only eat carrots. You eat rice and
cereal grains and all kinds of thing whose production
and distribution causes the death of animals. You
simply don't eat the animals that are killed. They are
just as dead, irrespective of if you eat them.

usual suspect

STOP TOP POSTING!

Gary Beckwith wrote:
> Whatever dude.

Is that really your best response to Jonathan's well-reasoned reply?

> You can call Robbins a propgandist all you want.

The shoe certainly fits.

> Photos don't lie.

No, but photographers often do. What you've seen are isolated instances,
and in many cases those instances are prosecutable (some of them were
pursued and resulted in severe punishment). The problem I have with some
of those photographs is that the same sets make the rounds. In other
words, the same horrific scenes are presented as though the problems are
systemic rather than isolated.

You're out there in farm country (haha, I don't believe you). Drop in on
a farm and check out the animals. See for yourself if they're
mistreated, confined, etc. Don't take John Robbins' word for it, much
less PETA's. Wtf do they know? They're safely esconced in their ivory
towers, living off your generosity (you said you support them, right?).

> Have fun eating meat.

I'm sure he will. Do you ever have any fun?

wrote:

>>> Which animals does it help, and how does it help them?

>>> Veg*nism itself does nothing to help animals, regardless of
>>>what other things a person does.

>>Meat eating does nothing to help animals, either,
>>regardless of what other things a person does.

> Firstly it provides billions of them with life.

That is not a "help" to farm animals.

>>> Some of them have decent lives and some of them don't.

>>That's merely your opinion, and it is based on ignorance.

> It's based on observation.

It's based on ignorance. You are unqualified to judge
the quality of their lives, and you also are a shill.

>>>If you think they all have HORRIBLE lives then you're being no
>>>more realistic about it than someone who thinks they all have
>>>decent lives.

>>If one thinks that it is horrible to kill an animal for
>>human consumption, then they indeed all have horrible
>>lives.

> Well we don't all believe it is horrible to kill them for food.

But vegans do believe it, and you are unable to counter
their belief.

> So far no one has been able to explain exactly what is wrong
> with killing animals for human consumption btw,

So far, you have been utterly unable to explain what is
wrong with preventing them from getting to live. You
clearly believe something IS wrong with it, but you are
unable to say what it is.

>>> From the life and death of a grass raised steer people can
>>>get over 500 servings of beef.

>>You are a massive hypocrite. You do not eat grass-fed
>>beef. You do not make any effort at all to choose meat
>>from sources that treated animals better than the
>>average for their industries. You buy whatever beef,
>>chicken, pork and other that Piggly Wiggly has in
>>shrink-wrapped packages. You are not an ethical meat
>>eater.

> It doesn't matter what I do or don't eat.

It matters very much. It shows that you are a massive
hypocrite.

>>>A few meals of tofu are likely
>>>to involve more deaths than 500 meals from grass raised beef.

>>You have no support for that claim. It's idle,
>>ignorant speculation.

> Your failure to appreciate facts like that show *without any
> doubt!!* that you care more about promoting veg*nism than you
> do about human influence on animals.

It shows nothing of the sort.

YOU have made a claim that involves a comparison, and
you not only have no numbers to justify the conclusion,
you have no theoretical knowledge that would make your
idle speculation likely to be accurate.

>>>From the life and death of a grass raised dairy cow people can
>>>get thousands of dairy servings. A few servings of rice milk are
>>>likely to involve more deaths than a thousand servings of grass
>>>raised cow milk.

>>> They are all true,

>>One of them is completely insignificant: the one about
>>the meat and dairy industries "providing life" for farm
>>animals.

> Well the next time I'm around a herd of cattle I'll tell them that
> their lives are completely insignificant,

I don't doubt that you would try to tell cattle
something like that.

"providing life" for farm animals does not create moral
bonus points. It is insignificant in the discussion.

>>>as was the main point which is that there
>>>are quite a few significan facts that you veg*ns do *not* want
>>>people to consider.

>>Vegans not giving any consideration to this stupid
>>"providing life" argument is not out of a fear of what
>>might be discovered. It is based on a full-knowledge
>>awareness that there is nothing to consider.

> Then there's no loss when they are killed,

Yes, there is. There is the loss of life of a living
creature. As always, you keep getting confused between
the value of a potential for life, before an animal is
born, and the value of an actual life, after an animal
is born. No one else is confused about this. You are
confused. You give evidence of extremely weak intellect.

usual suspect

Gary Beckwith wrote:
>>Some are. Some are slaughtered right on the farms at smaller operations.
>>But, the fact still remains, they die a far more humane death than the
>>animals that die for your cheap, conveninet veggies.

> can someone tell me what the heck you are talking about? that is
> ludicrous. you people keep saying this but have not substantiated it a
> single time. what animals are dying by the production of this organic
> carrot in my hand? get real.

The organic carrot grew from a seed. The seed was planted in a field,
most likely by machine. The machine is very heavy and very dangerous,
not only for the animals in the field but also for the farmer. The
farmer has a stake in the yield of the field, so he treats the topsoil
with a variety of substances. These may include fish emulsions (so is
your carrot really vegan?), but could also include substances which are
supposed to kill rodents and birds and insects. Yes, organic farming
allows for the use of pesticides, just not the synthetic ones (the most
lethal ones are organic anyway). The farmer also has to irrigate his
fields if he doesn't get enough rain. That could include flooding a field.

Your carrot could have included deaths and/or dismemberments from heavy
machinery, pesticides, and flooding. That doesn't even take into
consideration animals and insects killed where the carrot was stored
(food safety laws require certain pest control standards), transported,
or even sold (where the same food safety laws apply). In short, the only
way to ensure no animal dies in the production of your food is if you
grow it yourself.

Here is a picture of a fawn which got shredded by a combine:
http://www.bds.org.uk/Research/Silag...entperrier.htm

Combines are used for grains, killer. You eat grains, don't you?

usual suspect

Jonathan Ball wrote:
<snip>
>> You can call Robbins a propgandist all you want.

> Robbins IS a propagandist. He has no expertise in any of the stuff he's
> written about. He's written a book that tells you what you want to
> hear, and being a gullible nitwit, you gobble it right up.

Some of Robbins' proponents like to engage in the logical fallacy of
appealing to authority, since Robbins was heir to the Baskin-Robbins ice
cream chain. You are correct, though, that he has no expertise; he is an
activist. None of his biographies online offer bona fides, at least in
terms of education or experience. His work has long revolved around
leftist and non-profit causes (though his book sales and speaking fees
no doubt cause someone, namely him, to profit).

<snip>

Jonathan Ball

usual suspect wrote:
> Jonathan Ball wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>> You can call Robbins a propgandist all you want.

>> Robbins IS a propagandist. He has no expertise in any of the stuff
>> he's written about. He's written a book that tells you what you want
>> to hear, and being a gullible nitwit, you gobble it right up.

> Some of Robbins' proponents like to engage in the logical fallacy of
> appealing to authority, since Robbins was heir to the Baskin-Robbins ice
> cream chain. You are correct, though, that he has no expertise; he is an
> activist. None of his biographies online offer bona fides, at least in
> terms of education or experience. His work has long revolved around
> leftist and non-profit causes (though his book sales and speaking fees
> no doubt cause someone, namely him, to profit).

I was wondering if it's pleasant to live in a
conscience-free zone, as rich leftists do, but then my
conscience told me it isn't.

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:58:08 GMT, Gary Beckwith > wrote:

wrote:

>> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:33:56 GMT, Gary Beckwith > wrote:
>>
>> >you are full of vegan baloney!
>> >
>> >first of all eating vegan DOES help animals because it decreases demand
>> >for meat.

>> Which animals does it help, and how does it help them?

>it helps the ones that don't have to be born into a life of torture.
>

>> >second, vegan is not just an eating habit. it is a way of life. many
>> >vegans don't just refrain from eating meat, they also contribute to
>> >organizations such as Farm Sanctuary or PETA, that have many programs
>> >that directly affect the welfare of animals.

>> Veg*nism itself does nothing to help animals, regardless of
>> what other things a person does.

>you can twist the facts any way you want. most vegans have a lifestyle,
>not just an eating habit. what's your point?

It's always the same. People who want to contribute to decent lives
for farm animals with their lifestyle should NOT become veg*ns, but
they should become more conscientious consumers. If there were any
veg*ns around who really cared about animals, they would point that
out themselves and there would be no reason for me to keep doing
it. But there are no veg*ns in these ngs who really care about human
influence on animals, yourself included. In fact, you have shown that
you not only care less than I do, but you are opposed to seeing facts
pointed out if they are more in the animals' favor than they are in favor
of promoting veg*nism.

>veganism itself is
>

>> >now, i have to take particular issue with your portrayal of the meat
>> >industry providing a good life for many animals. That simply is NOT
>> >true. The vast majority of animals raised for meat live HORRIBLE
>> >lives. They are confined to very small areas, pumped with hormones,
>> >body parts removed, and killed in very painful and inhumane ways. Do you
>> >know how a beef cattle is killed? Look it up, it's disgusting. I know,
>> >I live in farm country and I see it every day. Even dairy cows are
>> >often confined to indoor barns and never get to roam. I drive by a
>> >dairy farm almost every day, that is basically a huge metal building
>> >full of cows that can't even turn around. I've never seen them let
>> >outside in years.

>> Some of them have decent lives and some of them don't. If
>> you think they all have HORRIBLE lives then you're being no
>> more realistic about it than someone who thinks they all have
>> decent lives.

>the VAST MAJORITY, i'd say well over 95% live horrible lives. did I
>ever say all? again, what's the point? does it make a difference if
>it's all, or most, or 95% or 50%?

It would only matter to someone who wants to promote better lives
for farm animals, not to someone who only cares about promoting
veg*nism.

>> >your #7 is outrageous. what exactly are you thinking of? A vegetable
>> >crop that kills more animals than meat?

>> From the life and death of a grass raised steer people can
>> get over 500 servings of beef. A few meals of tofu are likely
>> to involve more deaths than 500 meals from grass raised beef.
>> From the life and death of a grass raised dairy cow people can
>> get thousands of dairy servings. A few servings of rice milk are
>> likely to involve more deaths than a thousand servings of grass
>> raised cow milk.

>you are full of it. you did not give any example. what deaths? there
>simply are not any animal deaths involved in tofu production. get real.

Hopefully other posters have helped you to learn the truth. If you
haven't learned it from the obvious facts they shared with you, then
there is no hope for you at all imo.

>the fact is that for every pound of beef produced, hundreds of pounds of
>grain must be grown and hundreds of gallons of water are wasted. The
>entire earth could live off the grain and water that is wasted to feed
>cattle. get your facts straight. you are completely wrong on this
>one. do you know how many pounds of grain and gallons of water are
>required to raise that head of beef that makes 500 servings?

Grass raised beef is not raised on grain.

>I guess
>not because if you did you would not make that statement.
>

>> >you should get your facts straight before you state them as "facts".
>> >
>> >It sounds to me like you are just another meat eater trying to justify
>> >your cruel habit. Virtually all your statements are completely false.

>> They are all true, as was the main point which is that there
>> are quite a few significan facts that you veg*ns do *not* want
>> people to consider. That's because you care more about
>> promoting veg*nism than you do about human influence on
>> animals.

>I supposed you know exactly what I think and believe and what I want to
>do. your original statement is full of generalizations of what vegans
>think and do. how would you know what I think? how do you know what i
>care about?

Some types of meat involve less deaths than some types of veggies.
Some animals raised for food have decent lives. The meat industry
provides life for billions of animals. Those are three facts which have
a great influence on animals, but you aren't even indifferent to them,
you are OPPOSED to seeing them taken into consideration. That
shows without any question--there is absolutely NO question about
it!!!--that you care much more about promoting veg*nism than you do
about human influence on animals. Maybe you're unaware of it? That
is possible. The position you take is the same one that EVERY veg*n
I've discussed this with has taken in these ngs, so it's apparently a
natural way to respond. It comes from basic human nature. Once a
person has made a choice about something, and learned to have trust
in the choice they made, they certainly don't want to admit even to
themselves that they might not have made the best choice. After a
person has boasted to others about how their veg*n lifestyle is the
best they can do for animals, they are certainly not likely to want to
later admit that they could contribute to even less deaths by eating
grass raised beef and dairy products. In order to avoid the very
uncomfortable feelings created by learning they were wrong, people
often do quite absurd things like deny that plowing, harrowing,
poisoning, removing the habitat that animals have made their home,
and deliberately killing animals in grain storage areas, kills less
animals than cattle do by eating grass.

>Simply stated, your arguments are not true, your arguments are completey
>full of holes and when given an opporutunity to respond you skirt the
>issue. If you reallly know the facts, why don't you tell me where all
>the animal deaths are that result from tofu production? Three times
>you've said that more animals die from the raising of vegetables than
>meat and never have you given a single example. You also seem to know
>nothing about beef production and the resources that go into it. Your
>arguments are hollow and unsubstantiated. You generalize a whole group
>of people into thinking and feeling one certain way, which is completely
>outrageous.
>
>You should learn more about the facts, and perhaps take a class on
>debating. In real debates, you don't make generalizations and you
>substantiate your facts. You've done neither.

The reactions have been 100% the same from every veg*n I've
encountered in these ngs for over 4 years. No, I take that back.
There was one person who said he was reconsidering after learning
more facts, but then he said he was going back to lurking and I
don't know what he ended up doing. If he's reading this, maybe
he'll unlurk for a bit and let us know.

>I don't even see why you're trying to make this case. go ahead and eat
>meat if you want to. it's a personal choice. Why do you have to tell
>other people they are wrong for making personal decisions that differ
>from yours?

I point out things that people who really care about their influence
on animals should be interested in. As we have already learned, that
does not include you. You are in the opposite position even if you're
not aware of it--you are *opposed* to people considering all of the
facts, if those facts don't promote what you have chosen to do. Which
brings up back to the subject of the thread itself: Facts we should *not*
consider.

>Maybe you're feeling guilty for eating meat and you're
>trying to justify your habit by making these statements?

I have no reason to feel guilt. It would go on without me. If I
did feel guilt, I would buy a calf and pay a farmer to raise it on
grass with no grain. I'd probably buy a veal calf, and provide
it with a much longer life than it would have if I didn't buy it.
Then I'd be sure it was killed humanely, shot on the farm it
was kept on so it didn't suffer from transport. If I ate rice and
bread with a steak from the animal, I'd just have to live with
knowing the rice and bread involved more deaths than the
beef did. I could get over 500 meals from the death of the
one animal. Maybe I'll do that some day, but so far no guilt
has bothered me enough to make the effort. We used to
raise our own Black Angus, and we were in the situation I
described, but now I don't have a place to raise my own
cattle, and don't want to keep a big freezer around, etc.
[...]

Shitbag Slater

wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:58:08 GMT, Gary Beckwith > wrote:
>

>>> Veg*nism itself does nothing to help animals, regardless of
>>>what other things a person does.

>>you can twist the facts any way you want. most vegans have a lifestyle,
>>not just an eating habit. what's your point?

> It's always the same. People who want to contribute to decent lives
> for farm animals with their lifestyle should NOT become veg*ns, but
> they should become more conscientious consumers.

It's always the same: you are not really talking about
"decent lives for farm animals", ****wit. You are
talking about trying to persuade "vegans" that they
"ought" to eat meat, in order to cause more farm
animals to "get to experience life". You are perfectly
transparent, ****wit, and this is why your stupid trick
doesn't work.

This is why your hypocrisy matters, ****wit: YOU
obviously do not want to contribute to "decent lives"
for farm animals, because you are not a conscientious
consumer.

> If there were any
> veg*ns around who really cared about animals, they would point that
> out themselves and there would be no reason for me to keep doing
> it.

There are lots of "vegans" around who really care about
animals, ****wit. They are misguided in their caring,
but they really do care.

It is not inconsistent for them to think that farm
animals ought not to exist.

>>the fact is that for every pound of beef produced, hundreds of pounds of
>>grain must be grown and hundreds of gallons of water are wasted. The
>>entire earth could live off the grain and water that is wasted to feed
>>cattle. get your facts straight. you are completely wrong on this
>>one. do you know how many pounds of grain and gallons of water are
>>required to raise that head of beef that makes 500 servings?

> Grass raised beef is not raised on grain.

Most beef is not grass-only raised beef. Most beef
involves grain consumption.

>>I don't even see why you're trying to make this case. go ahead and eat
>>meat if you want to. it's a personal choice. Why do you have to tell
>>other people they are wrong for making personal decisions that differ

>>from yours?

> I point out things that people who really care about their influence
> on animals should be interested in.

No, mostly you point out something that is utterly
irrelevant: that farm animals "get to experience life".

There is no reason for anyone to think about that at
all when deciding whether or not farm animals should
continue to be bred.

frlpwr

Jonathan Ball wrote:

(snip)

> Beef cattle are not slaughtered in farm country. Stop
> lying.

The Big Four meat-packers, (ConAgra, IBP, Excel, National Beef),
slaughter 84% of American cattle. Their plants are concentrated in the
non-union _farm_ states of Nebraska, Kansas, Texas, Colorado and Iowa.

(snip)

> > your #7 is outrageous. what exactly are you thinking of? A vegetable
> > crop that kills more animals than meat?

> Fields are disced, killing animals.

Conservation minded farmers use low-till or no-till systems. Anyone
concerned about wildlife and the environment should be careful to
purchase products from farmers using sound conservation practices. Even
the USDA recognizes the all-around benefits of conservation farming and
offers economic incentives to farmers who go easy on the land and the
animals living on it.

> and when the crops are harvested,
> heavy machinery again drives through the fields,

Don't you ever get off the freeway, Ball? A good portion of
California's fruits and vegetables are hand-harvested. You've heard of
farm-workers, haven't you? This means the total ground surface damage
(and alleged squashing of field animals) from heavy machinery in the
fields can be measured in tire tracks of the trucks hauling the produce
out of the field.

I can see field mice scampering from my footsteps as I climb the slopes
of San Bruno Mountain. I step lightly on a 112 lb. frame. Do you think
field animals are going to sit still and wait for a loud, smoking,
vibrating machine to rumble over them?

You hate animals and know nothing about them.

(snip)

> If "vegans" believe they are making a legitimate
> ethical choice by not eating meat and other animal
> products in order not to cause animal suffering, their
> lifestyle IS wrong and bogus and based on a logical
> fallacy.

Strawman. Vegans believe by not eating meat and purchasing other animal
products they are not contributing to the suffering of _farmed animals_
and they're not.

For the record, because I purchase enormous quantities of slaughterhouse
waste in the form of catfood, I am, technically, not a vegan. How does
this CONFORM to your vision of me as a vegan CONFORMIST?

(snip)

Jonathan Ball

frlpwr wrote:
> Jonathan Ball wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
>>Beef cattle are not slaughtered in farm country. Stop
>>lying.

> The Big Four meat-packers, (ConAgra, IBP, Excel, National Beef),
> slaughter 84% of American cattle. Their plants are concentrated in the
> non-union _farm_ states of Nebraska, Kansas, Texas, Colorado and Iowa.

The plants are in cities, not in "farm country".

> (snip)
>

>>>your #7 is outrageous. what exactly are you thinking of? A vegetable
>>>crop that kills more animals than meat?

>>Fields are disced, killing animals.

> Conservation minded farmers use low-till or no-till systems.

Most farmers, including the ones who supply most of the
food you eat, do not practice that.

> Anyone concerned about wildlife and the environment should be careful to
> purchase products from farmers using sound conservation practices. Even
> the USDA recognizes the all-around benefits of conservation farming and
> offers economic incentives to farmers who go easy on the land and the
> animals living on it.
>

>>and when the crops are harvested,
>>heavy machinery again drives through the fields,

> Don't you ever get off the freeway, Ball? A good portion of
> California's fruits and vegetables are hand-harvested.

High-value things like strawberries and asparagus,
sure. Rice, on the other hand, is lethal. What are
the relative shares of strawberries, asparagus and rice
in the typical "vegan" diet, skank?

> You've heard of
> farm-workers, haven't you? This means the total ground surface damage
> (and alleged squashing of field animals) from heavy machinery in the
> fields can be measured in tire tracks of the trucks hauling the produce
> out of the field.
>
> I can see field mice scampering from my footsteps as I climb the slopes
> of San Bruno Mountain. I step lightly on a 112 lb. frame. Do you think
> field animals are going to sit still and wait for a loud, smoking,
> vibrating machine to rumble over them?
>
> You hate animals and know nothing about them.
>
> (snip)
>
>>If "vegans" believe they are making a legitimate
>>ethical choice by not eating meat and other animal
>>products in order not to cause animal suffering, their
>>lifestyle IS wrong and bogus and based on a logical
>>fallacy.

> Strawman.

Nope. They commit the fallacy of Denying the
Antecedent, as well as the vilest sort of hypocrisy.

> Vegans believe by not eating meat and purchasing other animal
> products they are not contributing to the suffering of _farmed animals_
> and they're not.

Irrelevant, and you know it, conformist bitch.

"vegans" have no principle that justifies worrying
about animals they might eat, and not worrying about
those killed in the course of producing their food.

> For the record, because I purchase enormous quantities of slaughterhouse
> waste in the form of catfood, I am, technically, not a vegan. How does
> this CONFORM to your vision of me as a vegan CONFORMIST?

Your massive conformism isn't about some single
isolated exception. It has to do with your overall
conformist-to-unconvential lifestyle. You have an
excruciatingly self conscious view of what it is to be
"unconventional", and you rigidly and self consciously
conform to it. You are the conformist, not I. This is
beyond dispute.

usual suspect

frlcnt wrote:
> The Big Four meat-packers, (ConAgra, IBP, Excel, National Beef),
> slaughter 84% of American cattle. Their plants are concentrated in the
> non-union _farm_ states of Nebraska, Kansas, Texas, Colorado and Iowa.

Most of their processing plants are near urban areas. Makes for ease of
transport.

> Conservation minded farmers use low-till or no-till systems. Anyone
> concerned about wildlife and the environment should be careful to
> purchase products from farmers using sound conservation practices.

The OP (Gary, apparently no relation to the late "Chargin' Charlie"
Beckwith) is oblivious to conservation-minded practices. It wouldn't
surprise me if his ignorance were manifest in indiscriminate purchasing
habits, resulting in the deaths of many small animals.

> Even
> the USDA recognizes the all-around benefits of conservation farming and
> offers economic incentives to farmers who go easy on the land and the
> animals living on it.

That doesn't extend to hand-planting and hand-harvesting every food
item. Machinery is used even in hand-harvesting operations -- tractors
haul produce and workers out of fields. Squish!

>>and when the crops are harvested,
>>heavy machinery again drives through the fields,

> Don't you ever get off the freeway, Ball? A good portion of
> California's fruits and vegetables are hand-harvested. You've heard of
> farm-workers, haven't you? This means the total ground surface damage
> (and alleged squashing of field animals) from heavy machinery in the
> fields can be measured in tire tracks of the trucks hauling the produce
> out of the field.

What about grains? I haven't heard of migrant farmworkers picking wheat
or rice by hand.

> I can see field mice scampering from my footsteps as I climb the slopes
> of San Bruno Mountain.

If you're the Mary in the picture on page six of the following
newsletter, no wonder they scamper. Any of those witches would scare the
shit out of a cougar.

http://www.sfspca.org/volunteers/pdf/CC_feb02.pdf

> I step lightly on a 112 lb. frame. Do you think
> field animals are going to sit still and wait for a loud, smoking,
> vibrating machine to rumble over them?

Yes. Some of them burrow deeper.

> You hate animals and know nothing about them.

He knows they taste good, at least if properly prepared.

> (snip)
>
>>If "vegans" believe they are making a legitimate
>>ethical choice by not eating meat and other animal
>>products in order not to cause animal suffering, their
>>lifestyle IS wrong and bogus and based on a logical
>>fallacy.

> Strawman. Vegans believe by not eating meat and purchasing other animal
> products they are not contributing to the suffering of _farmed animals_
> and they're not.

So *farm* animal welfare is separate from animal welfare in toto? That
reeks of hypocrisy.

<snip>

Dutch

"frlpwr" > wrote

[..]
> Conservation minded farmers use low-till or no-till systems. Anyone
> concerned about wildlife and the environment should be careful to
> purchase products from farmers using sound conservation practices.

Low-till/no-till has become popular in the region where our land is. We
don't use it because it requires soaking the fields with Roundup after
harvest to supress the weeds.

Even
> the USDA recognizes the all-around benefits of conservation farming

and
> offers economic incentives to farmers who go easy on the land and the
> animals living on it.

No-till farming isn't easy on the land in my opinion. It means less soil
erosion from wind, but without tilling, weeds take over the field,
meaning more herbicides are needed. I don't know if the USDA has
factored that into it's analysis.

[..]

rick etter

"Gary Beckwith" > wrote in message

> rick etter wrote:
> >
> > > ========================

> > Some are. Some are slaughtered right on the farms at smaller

operations.
> > But, the fact still remains, they die a far more humane death than the
> > animals that die for your cheap, conveninet veggies.
> >

> can someone tell me what the heck you are talking about? that is
> ludicrous. you people keep saying this but have not substantiated it a
> single time. what animals are dying by the production of this organic
> carrot in my hand? get real.

Having trouble with comprehension, I see. Must be your diet, eh killer?

OK, again, the animals I'm referring to a mammals, birds, reptiles, fish,
and amphibians.
Did you catch it that time, or should I write them slower for you?