MrFalafel

Default Banana Flambé

Banana Flambé

2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp margarine
6 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced in half, lengthwise
3 tbsp dark Caribbean rum

Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon. Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease a
9x12inch ovenproof dish with margarine and sprinkle with half the
cinnamon/brown sugar mixture. Arrange the bananas in the dish with the
cut side down. Sprinkle with the rest of the cinnamon sugar mix and
dot with margarine. Bake about 10 minutes or until the bananas are
well cooked. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the rum and ignite.
Serve hot with vegan ice ‘cream'.
Jonathan Ball

Default Banana Flambé, aka Bananas Foster

Jon Lindsay wrote:

> Banana Flambé
>
> 2 tbsp brown sugar
> 1 tsp cinnamon
> 2 tbsp margarine
> 6 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced in half, lengthwise
> 3 tbsp dark Caribbean rum
>
> Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon. Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease a
> 9x12inch ovenproof dish with margarine and sprinkle with half the
> cinnamon/brown sugar mixture. Arrange the bananas in the dish with the
> cut side down. Sprinkle with the rest of the cinnamon sugar mix and
> dot with margarine. Bake about 10 minutes or until the bananas are
> well cooked. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the rum and ignite.
> Serve hot with vegan ice ‘cream'.

This is a weak variant of an old New Orleans classic
called Bananas Foster. I don't know if Bananas Foster
originated at Brennan's, but they provide their recipe
for it online at
http://www.brennansneworleans.com/r_bananasfoster.html.

It's prepared much quicker on the stovetop rather than
in the oven.

Two things to note: 3 tablespoons of rum spread
sprinkled across as much material as there is will not
ignite. Second, even if you substitute the generous
half-cup of booze in Brennan's recipe for the meager 3
tablespoons in Jon Lindsay's, it *still* might not
ignite if you're using standard 80 proof (40°) dark rum
like Myers's; the alcohol content simply isn't high
enough. However, be very careful if you use 151 rum,
as that stuff will ignite explosively.