MrFalafel

Default Chiles Rellenos de Arroz Integral (Chiles Rellenos Stuffed with Brown Rice)

Chiles Rellenos de Arroz Integral (Chiles Rellenos Stuffed with Brown
Rice)

4 large poblano chillies or 3 small ones, peeled, seeded and de-veined
(see below)
3 cups cooked brown rice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro/coriander or parsley, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups refried beans
1 cup water
1 pint vegan sour ‘cream' (Tofutti brand or make your own)
1/2 cup green onions, chopped

Preheat the oven to 375F. To peel the chillies, first roast them on a
hot griddle or under the broiler, turning occasionally until they are
evenly blistered. Place them in plastic bag to sweat for a few
minutes, then peel. Cut a slit down the side of each chile. Remove the
seeds and veins with care (you may want to wear gloves).

Combine the rice, cilantro/coriander, green onions and salt and fill
the chiles with this mixture. Arrange the chiles in a lightly oiled
9x9inch baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Make a sauce be heating
the refried beans with the water, mixing well over low heat while the
chillies bake. To serve, spoon the bean sauce over each chile and
garnish with a spoonful of sour ‘cream' and some chopped green onions.
Sue milham

Mmmm, you're making my mouth water with these spicy creations. It is chile
season. Do you have a single source for these recipes? A book?

The one suggestion I would make is to sweat the chiles in a paper bag rather
than plastic, not as likely to melt or take on toxins from mixing heat and
plastic. Brown paper works very well.

Also, I'm thinking I'd substitute the ones with texturized protein with tofu or
tempe, as I've been worried lately about the forms of soy, some overly
processed products may give too much disputed properties of soy. The texture
may not be meatlike tho'.

Thanks for your prolific recipe suggestions.

(MrFalafel) wrote:
<< Chiles Rellenos de Arroz Integral (Chiles Rellenos Stuffed with Brown
Rice)

4 large poblano chillies or 3 small ones, peeled, seeded and de-veined
(see below)
3 cups cooked brown rice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro/coriander or parsley, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups refried beans
1 cup water
1 pint vegan sour "cream' (Tofutti brand or make your own)
1/2 cup green onions, chopped

Preheat the oven to 375F. To peel the chillies, first roast them on a
hot griddle or under the broiler, turning occasionally until they are
evenly blistered. Place them in plastic bag to sweat for a few
minutes, then peel. Cut a slit down the side of each chile. Remove the
seeds and veins with care (you may want to wear gloves).

Combine the rice, cilantro/coriander, green onions and salt and fill
the chiles with this mixture. Arrange the chiles in a lightly oiled
9x9inch baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Make a sauce be heating
the refried beans with the water, mixing well over low heat while the
chillies bake. To serve, spoon the bean sauce over each chile and
garnish with a spoonful of sour "cream' and some chopped green onions.

>><BR><BR>

Sue M.
Michael Balarama

"MrFalafel" > wrote in message
om...
> ospam (Sue milham) wrote in message

> > Mmmm, you're making my mouth water with these spicy creations. It is

chile
> > season. Do you have a single source for these recipes? A book?
> >
> > The one suggestion I would make is to sweat the chiles in a paper bag

rather
> > than plastic, not as likely to melt or take on toxins from mixing heat

and
> > plastic. Brown paper works very well.
> >
> > Also, I'm thinking I'd substitute the ones with texturized protein with

tofu or
> > tempe, as I've been worried lately about the forms of soy, some overly
> > processed products may give too much disputed properties of soy. The

texture
> > may not be meatlike tho'.
> >
> > Thanks for your prolific recipe suggestions.
> >

> You make some very interesting suggestions! Personaly I don't have any
> problem with soy and feel you can find a research or a study to claim
> pretty much anything is good or bad for you. You can always change the
> texture of tofu by freezing and thawing. You can also use seitan.
>
> The mexican recipes come from 'A Taste of Mexico' by Kippy Nigh who
> runs a restaurant in Mexico. The recipes are all vegetarian but many
> contain dairy or eggs

I remember this one restaurant in Berkley on Telegraph ave had vegetarian
Chiles Rellenos 1970-very cheap-I think they are still in business--near
Shamballa books..
Michael

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...065503978/sr=1
-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-0868026-7956015?v=glance&s=books

Sue milham

Thank you for the link. I can hardly keep up with all your recipe suggestions,
they're great. I'm wondering if they all come from books in your collection.
Is it possible for you to reference the book with the posted recipe? That
would be helpful for archiving and credit to the author also.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=1065503978/sr
=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-0868026-7956015?v=glance&s=books
>><BR><BR>

Sue M.

T5NF

Sue wrote:
<snip>
>Also, I'm thinking I'd substitute the ones with texturized protein with tofu
>or
>tempe, as I've been worried lately about the forms of soy, some overly
>processed products may give too much disputed properties of soy. The texture
>may not be meatlike tho'.

You can make tofu more 'meatlike' by buying extra firm style, freeze it, thaw
it, squeeze & crumble it, then brown it in some oil then add various spices
according to the ethnicity of the dish. For this dish I would use cumin &
chile powders and add garlic & onions and a little salt.

Cheers,

Fritz
T5NF

Mr.Falafel wrote:
<snip>
>If my recipe posting gets overwhelming just add me to your killfilter.

lol, if anyone did that, all they'd see here is trolls, spam and a rare post or
two.... keep the recipes coming Mr.Falafel! :-)

Cheers,

Fritz
who had a lovely slice of vegan chocolate cake yesterday with peanut butter
icing and for once didn't have to make it herself :-)

Sue milham

No, not at all, I rather enjoy your enthusiasm. I just thought it would be
good for the google archives to have the original author in case someone wanted
to get their collection going also. Your's is certainly impressive. You could
say something like: "revised by Mr Falafel" if that was the case. It would
be too difficult to ask for each one. In google they wouldn't be classfied in
any kind of ethnicity, or other order. Some days it just isn't possible to
read all the offerings.

(MrFalafel) wrote:
<< The vast majority of recipes I post come from my collection of
cookbooks. Quite often I'll change the ingredients or cooking
techniques based on my experience with the recipe or to make it vegan.
Usually when I post a 'batch' of recipes during a day it will be from
one book. Sometimes I'll list the book and sometimes I get lazy and
don't. With all of that data entry from typing recipes I like to take
shortcuts when I can. If you're curious about a recipe just ask and
I'll tell you where it came from.

If my recipe posting gets overwhelming just add me to your killfilter.
>><BR><BR>

Sue M.

Poblanos Rellenos--Stuffed Poblano Chiles Judy Bolton Recipes (moderated) 0 29-04-2007 02:14 AM
Chiles Relleños Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-07-2004 10:02 PM
Chiles Rellenos Pie Duckie ® Recipes 0 25-03-2004 05:25 PM
Baked Chiles Rellenos (Stuffed Chiles) [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 21-10-2003 01:55 PM