MrFalafel

Default Sopa de Nopal (Cactus Soup)

Sopa de Nopal (Cactus Soup)

8oz can nopalitos
1 quart boiling salted water
1/8 tsp baking soda
2 whole cloves garlic
1 small onion, sliced
2 lb green tomatillos, roasted in a skillet
1 quart water
1 chipolte chile
1/2 tsp marjoram

Method
Roast the tomatillos in a skillet for 5 minutes, turning occasionally.
Blend the tomatillos with the garlic an 1 cup of the water. Strain and
add the nopalitos, the chipolte chile, plus 3 more cups of water. Add
the marjoram, bring to a boil and salt to taste. Serve with tortillas
warmed in a dry skillet, wrapped in a cloth napkin.