C. James Strutz

Default Red meat, dairy items may trigger disease

http://www.post-gazette.com//pg/03273/227089.stm

Jonathan Ball

See James Strut wrote:
> http://www.post-gazette.com//pg/03273/227089.stm

Off topic, jimmy, you asshole. This is supposed to be
a forum for the discussion of vegetarian *food*, not
for patting yourself on the back for being a
health-obsessed freak.

Anyway, that study is bad science. It's right there in
the press release:

Other studies have shown that vegetarians have a
lower risk of heart disease and cancer, while people
who eat large amounts of red meat have an increased
risk.

It commits the logical fallacy of false bifurcation,
asswipe. The choice is not between vegetarian diet or
"large amounts of red meat". In fact, I eat a diet
that contains relatively small amounts of meat, and not
a lot of it red.

You sanctimonious self congratulatory shitbag. You're
also a skinny geek.

nemo

Jonathan Ball > wrote in message
link.net...
> See James Strut wrote:
> > http://www.post-gazette.com//pg/03273/227089.stm

> Off topic, jimmy, you asshole. This is supposed to be
> a forum for the discussion of vegetarian *food*, not
> for patting yourself on the back for being a
> health-obsessed freak.
>
> Anyway, that study is bad science. It's right there in
> the press release:
>
> Other studies have shown that vegetarians have a
> lower risk of heart disease and cancer,

That's me - Vegan for 35 years.

while people
> who eat large amounts of red meat have an increased
> risk.

That's my parents and most of my aunts and uncles who all ate a "normal"
diet and died of coronaries and/or strokes.

> It commits the logical fallacy of false bifurcation,
> asswipe. The choice is not between vegetarian diet or
> "large amounts of red meat". In fact, I eat a diet
> that contains relatively small amounts of meat, and not
> a lot of it red.

That's no excuse. Looks like it's still enough to make you use expletives
all over the plaice!!

> You sanctimonious self congratulatory shitbag. You're
> also a skinny geek.

He's got a webcam???

Wish I was a skinny geek! My beergut is the equivalent of carrying two heavy
suitcases around all the time and it won't go away.

And anyway - it might be his religion. He might be Geek Orthodox!!

And there's a hyphen in self-congratulatory.

And as for the subject line - I used to suffer terribly from Migraine - up
to three attacks per week before I became Vegan. Once I'd given up dairy
stuff it virtually disappeared!

So there!

Hannah Gruen

"nemo" > wrote in message

> And as for the subject line - I used to suffer terribly from Migraine - up
> to three attacks per week before I became Vegan. Once I'd given up dairy
> stuff it virtually disappeared!

Nemo, I had the same experience. I have had "common" migraine regularly,
several dozen times a year or more, since I was a teenager. I'd spent years
as an ovo-lacto vegetarian with little change. But when I finally got rid of
the eggs and dairy, after a few months I realized I'd had not a single
headache during that time. The only times I've since experienced headaches,
mild ones at that, have been when I've had a few servings of foods
containing dairy products.

Hannah

Hannah Gruen

"Jonathan Ball" > wrote in message
link.net...
> See James Strut wrote:
> > http://www.post-gazette.com//pg/03273/227089.stm

> Off topic, jimmy, [bleep gratuitous obscene ad hominem attack] This is

supposed to be
> a forum for the discussion of vegetarian *food*, not
> for patting yourself on the back for being a
> health-obsessed freak.
>
> Anyway, that study is bad science. It's right there in
> the press release:

Hardly off-topic, Jon. And it's not bad science at all. Don't confuse
writeups by the media with what the primary source actually said. These are
actually extremely interesting findings. The increase in autoimmune
disorders has become a major health concern, and it seems like autoimmunity
components are being found in more and more illnesses. There are certainly
many factors that can trigger autoimmune responses, but we're still in the
dark ages with respect to understanding how these happen. This study
certainly isn't definitive in any way (no study is, as I'm sure you are
aware), but it provides some compelling new evidence that I'm sure will fuel
a lot more additional research.

The lipid hypothesis in re heart disease has never made complete sense, and
the focus has shifted in part to inflammatory processes. But even these
haven't been well understood. The information from this study provides a new
avenue of reasearch. It's particularly interesting because it may help
explain why heart disease tends to positively correlate with consumption of
animal products, on both a world-wide level (based on epidemiological
correlations) and on a more local level (studies performed in the U.S. and
Europe). It may also provide more insight into the cause of Type I diabetes,
pretty much understood these days to be of autoimmune origin, but with the
mechanism (root cause) not well constrained.

It's good that you've cut back on meat and, hopefully, dairy. Dosage is
likely an important factor in immune responses, so the less you eat of this
stuff, the better.

Hannah