Old 22-03-2008, 10:01 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.veg,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Default Eat less meat

"Robert Seago" wrote in message
Jim Webster wrote:

'Localism and Its Enemies
Posted by David Bollier on Fri, 03/07/2008 - 11:48am

pity you cannot answer in your own words, don't you have your own ideas
or opinions?

There are some points that should be addressed. That may be the USA but
they do like to maintain protection of their own, while keeping out
competition.

the US has strong phytosanitary regulations. It has to be admitted that
some, (the New Zealanders for example) are of the opinion that these
regulations are trade distorting on purpose, but it also has to be admitted
that their regulations have kept FMD out a damned sight better than ours
have

Bananas in the Carribean are another example.

It was once explained to me that the import quotas for Carribean bananas was
a political decision in Europe, in that we didn't want to leave the
Carribean to be divided up between the US and Cuba. It is just so much
easier to dress up as 'AID' and give it some sort of moral legitimacy.
It isn't a stance I agree with, but I would be very wary of getting on too
high a horse over this issue.

Jim Webster

Old 22-03-2008, 05:02 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.veg,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jim Webster wrote:

Bananas in the Carribean are another example.

It was once explained to me that the import quotas for Carribean bananas
was a political decision in Europe, in that we didn't want to leave the
Carribean to be divided up between the US and Cuba. It is just so much
easier to dress up as 'AID' and give it some sort of moral legitimacy.
It isn't a stance I agree with, but I would be very wary of getting on
too high a horse over this issue.

Jim Webster

I saw the plantations in St Lucia pretty well idle. A few people were
literally giving them to tourists with a donation box present because
people tended to give more than they could get by setting a price. They
said it was because their bananas did not meet some American conditions,
unlike those grown by multinationals in Honduras. As for me I know
nothing.

Old 22-03-2008, 06:55 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.veg,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Jim Webster wrote:

I saw the plantations in St Lucia pretty well idle. A few people were
literally giving them to tourists with a donation box present because
people tended to give more than they could get by setting a price. They
said it was because their bananas did not meet some American conditions,
unlike those grown by multinationals in Honduras. As for me I know
nothing.

probably true but I'm not sure whether they ever sold many into the US
anyway, they have been largely geared to UK and France for political
reasons.
I can see where the donation box idea would win out, if you do it in this
country with field vegetables it works as well, because people will always
donate more than you can sell them for ;-(

Jim Webster

Old 22-03-2008, 07:44 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.veg,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Old Codger wrote:

No. Pete the troll is playing wannabe master forger again. He did it
yet again three minutes later in this thread

The bully hath spoken. You might bamboozle a senile woman like Jill in
to obeying your whim but I think Jim is a little too dense to use a
kf, but then you don't appear to be the brightest spark in the box
either.

As Pete never reads what he posts and desires only to provoke
argument it is safest to assume that anything he espouses is
at least unsafe and probably malicious.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old 23-03-2008, 12:06 AM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,demon.local
ah ah is offline

Old Codger wrote:
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 06:33:44 -0700 (PDT), Buxqi
wrote:

On Mar 21, 10:48 am, Old Codger
wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:58:04 -0700 (PDT), Buxqi
wrote:

On 20 Mar, 16:21, Old Codger wrote:
Tom Withycombe wrote:

I'm obviously suffering from mental constipation but could someone
enlighten me as to what this rubbish has to do with a ng dedicated to
British birdwatching?

Nothing at all Tom, just as it has little relevance to many of the
groups to which it is cross posted.

Of course the problem could be alleviated if everyone replying
to the guy removed all the irrelevant groups from the cross-post
first.

That requires aptitude and common sense. Something the troll netkops
don't possess.

However, Pete is so desperate for
attention that he always cross posts to at least six groups.

Why does he post to small groups instead of large ones if
that is his motivation?

Education for all I should imagine.

The point is people don't sign up to groups like uk.rec.birdwatching
to discuss animal rights.

People don't sign up anyway. If you want a sheltered world exclusively
for weirdo's who cannot face reality then go start a moderated
newsgroup on your own.

On a public forum you get to see everything the public want you to
see. Animal rights and global destruction are issues for us all even
birdwatchers.

What kind of ponce can pretend otherwise?

Hear! Hear!

In
addition, he frequently nymshifts in attempts to avoid the kill filters.

If they don't want to read his posts he should respect that...

That's a bit like saying a newspaper should be tailored to individual
wants. Nonsense. Most of the netkops just want comics and dirty
magazines to read. In Brian's (Old Codger from Bicknacre in Essex)
case he just wants dirty magazines portraying bestiality subjects.

The simple fact is if you don't want to read something then DON'T, but
please don't proceed and feel the world needs to know about your
decision.

We simply don't care.

That's not the point. I wasn't question whether he should continue
posting to *relevant* newsgroups. If he wants to then of course he
should! But worming around people's killfiles, I don't agree with
that...

Learn to use filters then. Pro hunt extremists have been known to
track down and harm people so it's wise to keep on the run especially
if you are providing a public service.

Netkopping is despised the world over these days far more so than
crossposting devils. You'd do well to understand that before you start
trying to educate us into world of netkop weirdo's.

By all means discuss this in the fullest possible detail in the vegan, veggie, environmentally aware landfill sites,
methane and related gases and such focussed groups but please don't dump
this rubbish in the British birdwatching group. After all you have
around 60,000 other newsgroups to choose.

Every one should be aware of the problem the planet faces.

The planet has many problems. People who want to discuss them
or learn about them do not join uk.rec.birdwatching to learn about
them. End of.

You think it's ok for everyone else to fight your battles do you? I
prefer to kick netkpops up the arse so shove that up your chuffer.

Even if you
are sad twitcher who likes to hide away in dark bushes pretending to
look for birds but usually just peeping toms!

--
ah

Old 25-03-2008, 10:42 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.veg,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.current-events.bird-flu

In on Fri, 21 Mar 2008
08:30:29 -0000, in uk.current-events.bird-flu, 'Buddenbrooks' wrote:

"Oz" wrote in message

Also to note that all decaying plant matter emits methane, remember the
fuss when they recently discovered vast amounts were being emitted by
topsoils worldwide.

In an area of Salisbury which had a building estate using an ex-city dump
there was a sudden need to dig holes to release gas safely. The dump had
been disused for decades and had been deemed inactive.

I find it astonishing that it is accepted that a super-computer is needed
to inaccurately predict weather and yet "obvious aint it" is applied to the
global warming problem.

It will be interesting to see what the coming credit crunch driven downturn
in the economy does to people's views as jobs disappear and people realize
that
keeping the worlds economy going and reducing emissions is not going to be
easy.

I was going to stay out of it, but 'keeping the worlds economy going' is
the polar opposite of 'reducing emissions'

In fact it's broader than that.

'Keeping the economy going' is, by definition, a maintenance of the
current exponential rate of growth. That growth (almost) by definition
involves a parallel increase in consumption.

Therefore a 'healthy economy', under the current system of values,
desires, and definitions of success, probably has an *automatic* cost WRT
the odds on our survival.

Dave J.
Old 25-03-2008, 11:01 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.veg,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.current-events.bird-flu
Oz Oz is offline

Dave J. writes

I was going to stay out of it, but 'keeping the worlds economy going' is the
polar opposite of 'reducing emissions'

Almost certainly unless there is a sudden burst for nuclear, tidal or
massive solar powerstations. None of these seems very likely.

In fact it's broader than that.

'Keeping the economy going' is, by definition, a maintenance of the current
exponential rate of growth. That growth (almost) by definition involves a
parallel increase in consumption.

Yes. That's true and by golly its kicking in with the chinese, and soon
perhaps even the indians. There are 2B of them, which is a tad more than
500M westerners.

Therefore a 'healthy economy', under the current system of values, desires,
and definitions of success, probably has an *automatic* cost WRT the odds on
our survival.

That depend on whether global warming and survival go together.

--
Oz

Old 26-03-2008, 05:58 PM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.veg,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening,uk.current-events.bird-flu

"Dave J." wrote in message
Therefore a 'healthy economy', under the current system of values,
desires, and definitions of success, probably has an *automatic* cost WRT
the odds on our survival.

Dictators and world war with a whole generation of men being wiped out
is the traditional result when economies fail to feed their people.

Old 27-03-2008, 04:03 AM posted to uk.business.agriculture,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.veg,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening

In article , buddenbrooks
wrote:

"Dave J." wrote in message
Therefore a 'healthy economy', under the current system of values,
desires, and definitions of success, probably has an *automatic* cost WRT
the odds on our survival.

Dictators and world war with a whole generation of men being wiped out
is the traditional result when economies fail to feed their people.

You'd think governments would worry about the preceeding riot and
revolution - does the National Curriculum history syllabus include bread and
circuses? - Ce qu'ils mangeant la brioche.

Cheerio,

--

http://www.farm-direct.co.uk/

Old 29-03-2008, 02:17 PM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,demon.local
ah ah is offline

Old Codger wrote:
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 20:06:04 -0400, ah wrote:

Old Codger wrote:
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 06:33:44 -0700 (PDT), Buxqi
wrote:

Tom Withycombe wrote:

[...]

Parakeet?

Will one do?

What am I Tiwit, towoo?

Twixt?

Old 29-03-2008, 03:11 PM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,demon.local

Old Codger wrote:
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 06:33:44 -0700 (PDT), Buxqi
wrote:

Tom Withycombe wrote:

[...]

Sorry I cant dance but thanks for asking. My ugly sister can, will she
do?

Old 31-03-2008, 12:38 AM posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,demon.local
ah ah is offline

Old Codger wrote:
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 06:33:44 -0700 (PDT), Buxqi
wrote:

Tom Withycombe wrote:

[...]

Yup.
--