Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

Default "jones" can't make up its mind (such a tiny thing; shouldn't be hardto make up)

I said of "vegans" that after they're pushed off their
false claim to be "minimizing" harm to animals, they
fall back to a weaker claim of "doing the best I can."
To that, "jones" said:

That's exactly what we all do --- the best we can.
http://tinyurl.com/yv8a9c

Then I elaborated on exactly why "vegan" aren't doing
the best they can at reducing animal harm caused by the
things they consume, and to that "jones" replied:

None of us are. We could all do more.
http://tinyurl.com/2mxunq

Pretty funny! This guy clearly isn't trying to be
serious; just another usenet jerk-off.
Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

On Feb 23, 1:11*pm, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

1 130.191.3.6 Succeed USA - California SDSU-NET San Diego State
University 130.191.0.0 130.191.255.255 Yes San Diego State
University 5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego ARIN newshub.sdsu.edu
gondor.sdsu.edu

2 207.217.77.102 Succeed USA - Georgia EARTHLINK-CIDR EARTHLINK, Inc.
207.217.0.0 207.217.255.255 Yes EARTHLINK, Inc. 1375 PEACHTREE
STREET, LEVEL A, ATLANTA
+1-404-815-0770 ARIN newsfeed.earthlink.net
newsfeed.earthlink.net

3 207.217.77.60 Succeed USA - Georgia EARTHLINK-CIDR EARTHLINK, Inc.
207.217.0.0 207.217.255.255 Yes EARTHLINK, Inc. 1375 PEACHTREE
STREET, LEVEL A, ATLANTA

+1-404-815-0770 ARIN
stamper.news.pas.earthlink.net stamper.news.pas.earthlink.net

4 81.93.163.147 Succeed Norway NO-BASEFARM-NET Basefarm lb2-net
81.93.163.128 81.93.163.255 Yes Grethe Viksaas Basefarm AS,
Gullhaugveien 9, NO-0484 OSLO, NORWAY

+47 4000 4100 +47 4000 4080 RIPE NCC norvege.no
norvege.no

5 1.8.1.2 Succeed USA - California RESERVED-9 Internet Assigned
Numbers Authority 1.0.0.0 1.255.255.255 No Internet Assigned Numbers
Authority 4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330, Marina del Rey
+1-310-301-5820 ARIN

6 69.3.212.154 Succeed USA - California NETBLK-COVAD-IP-4-NET Covad
Communications Co. 69.3.0.0 69.3.255.255 Yes Covad Communications
Co. 2510 Zanker Rd., San Jose

+1-703-376-2830 ARIN h-69-3-212-154.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net

7 209.86.93.205 Succeed USA - Georgia EARTHLINK2000-E EarthLink, Inc.
209.86.0.0 209.86.255.255 Yes EarthLink, Inc. 1375 PEACHTREE ST,
LEVEL A, ATLANTA

+1-404-
815-0770 ARIN earthlink.net earthlink.net

8 207.217.77.54 Succeed USA - Georgia EARTHLINK-CIDR EARTHLINK, Inc.
207.217.0.0 207.217.255.255 Yes EARTHLINK, Inc. 1375 PEACHTREE
STREET, LEVEL A, ATLANTA

+1-404-815-0770 ARIN
newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 12:11:16 -0800, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

>I said of "vegans" that after they're pushed off their
>false claim to be "minimizing" harm to animals, they
>fall back to a weaker claim of "doing the best I can."
> To that, "jones" said:
>
> That's exactly what we all do --- the best we can.
> http://tinyurl.com/yv8a9c
>

>Then I elaborated on exactly why "vegan" aren't doing
>the best they can at reducing animal harm caused by the
>things they consume, and to that "jones" replied:
>
> None of us are. We could all do more.
> http://tinyurl.com/2mxunq
>

>Pretty funny! This guy clearly isn't trying to be
>serious; just another usenet jerk-off.

Now, ask yourself, would I make a mistake like that?
Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

"Derek" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 12:11:16 -0800, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>I said of "vegans" that after they're pushed off their
>>false claim to be "minimizing" harm to animals, they
>>fall back to a weaker claim of "doing the best I can."
>> To that, "jones" said:
>>
>> That's exactly what we all do --- the best we can.
>> http://tinyurl.com/yv8a9c
>>

>>Then I elaborated on exactly why "vegan" aren't doing
>>the best they can at reducing animal harm caused by the
>>things they consume, and to that "jones" replied:
>>
>> None of us are. We could all do more.
>> http://tinyurl.com/2mxunq
>>

>>Pretty funny! This guy clearly isn't trying to be
>>serious; just another usenet jerk-off.

> Now, ask yourself, would I make a mistake like that?

I don't think it's a mistake. We all say we're doing the best we can but in reality
none of us actually are.

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:02:35 -0000, "Jones" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote in message ...
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 12:11:16 -0800, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>>
>>>I said of "vegans" that after they're pushed off their
>>>false claim to be "minimizing" harm to animals, they
>>>fall back to a weaker claim of "doing the best I can."
>>> To that, "jones" said:
>>>
>>> That's exactly what we all do --- the best we can.
>>> http://tinyurl.com/yv8a9c
>>>

>>>Then I elaborated on exactly why "vegan" aren't doing
>>>the best they can at reducing animal harm caused by the
>>>things they consume, and to that "jones" replied:
>>>
>>> None of us are. We could all do more.
>>> http://tinyurl.com/2mxunq
>>>

>>>Pretty funny! This guy clearly isn't trying to be
>>>serious; just another usenet jerk-off.

>> Now, ask yourself, would I make a mistake like that?

>I don't think it's a mistake. We all say we're doing the best we can but in reality
>none of us actually are.

Then, in reality you were mistaken when making your first claim
and wrong to assert it if you don't actually believe it.

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

"Derek" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:02:35 -0000, "Jones" > wrote:
>>"Derek" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Now, ask yourself, would I make a mistake like that?

>>I don't think it's a mistake. We all say we're doing the best we can but in reality
>>none of us actually are.

> Then, in reality you were mistaken when making your first claim
> and wrong to assert it if you don't actually believe it.

Maybe I should have pointed out at the time that though we all say we're doing the
best we can, in reality we aren't.

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

Derek wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 12:11:16 -0800, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>> I said of "vegans" that after they're pushed off their
>> false claim to be "minimizing" harm to animals, they
>> fall back to a weaker claim of "doing the best I can."
>> To that, "jones" said:
>>
>> That's exactly what we all do --- the best we can.
>> http://tinyurl.com/yv8a9c
>>

>> Then I elaborated on exactly why "vegan" aren't doing
>> the best they can at reducing animal harm caused by the
>> things they consume, and to that "jones" replied:
>>
>> None of us are. We could all do more.
>> http://tinyurl.com/2mxunq
>>

>> Pretty funny! This guy clearly isn't trying to be
>> serious; just another usenet jerk-off.

> Now, ask yourself, would I make a mistake like that?

Not inadvertently. If it were intentional, it wouldn't
be a mistake; it would be 'avin' a larf.
Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

Jones wrote:
> "Derek" > wrote in message

>>> I don't think it's a mistake. We all say we're doing the best we can but in reality
>>> none of us actually are.

>> Then, in reality you were mistaken when making your first claim
>> and wrong to assert it if you don't actually believe it.

> Maybe I should have pointed out at the time that though we all say we're doing the
> best we can, in reality we aren't.

Maybe you shouldn't post at all if you're not really
being serious, which you aren't.
Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:13:08 -0000, "Jones" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote in message ...

>>>I don't think it's a mistake. We all say we're doing the best we can but in reality
>>>none of us actually are.

>> Then, in reality you were mistaken when making your first claim
>> and wrong to assert it if you don't actually believe it.

>Maybe I should have pointed out at the time that though we all say we're doing the
>best we can, in reality we aren't.

That would've helped. What's being asked for here
is "moral heroism" rather than a demand that vegans
abide by the rule not to kill animals collaterally during
crop production, and Singer describes it rather well.

[What grounds are there for accepting the acts and
omissions doctrine? Few champion the doctrine for
its own sake, as an important ethical first principle.
It is, rather, an implication of one view of ethics, of
a view that holds that as long as we do not violate
specified moral rules that place determinate moral
obligations upon us, we do all that morality demands
of us. These rules are of the kind made familiar by
the Ten Commandments and similar moral codes:
Do not kill, Do not lie, Do not steal, and so on.
Characteristically they are formulated in the negative,
so that to obey them it is necessary only to abstain
from the actions they prohibit. Hence obedience can
be demanded of every member of the community.

An ethic consisting of specific duties, prescribed by
moral rules that everyone can be expected to obey,
must make a sharp moral distinction between acts
and omissions. Take, for example, the rule: 'Do not
kill.' If this rule is interpreted, as it has been in the
Western tradition, as prohibiting only the taking of
innocent human life, it is not too difficult to avoid
overt acts in violation of it. Few of us are murderers.
It is not so easy to avoid letting innocent humans die.
Many people die because of insufficient food, or poor
medical facilities. If we could assist some of them, but
do not do so, we are letting them die. Taking the rule
against killing to apply to omissions would make living
in accordance with it a mark of saintliness or moral
heroism, rather than a minimum required of every
morally decent person.]

I don't agree with Singer on most of his arguments, but
I find this one agreeable.
Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

"Derek" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:13:08 -0000, "Jones" > wrote:
>>"Derek" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> Then, in reality you were mistaken when making your first claim
>>> and wrong to assert it if you don't actually believe it.

>>Maybe I should have pointed out at the time that though we all say we're doing the
>>best we can, in reality we aren't.

> That would've helped. What's being asked for here
> is "moral heroism" rather than a demand that vegans
> abide by the rule not to kill animals collaterally during
> crop production, and Singer describes it rather well.
>
> [What grounds are there for accepting the acts and
> omissions doctrine? Few champion the doctrine for
> its own sake, as an important ethical first principle.
> It is, rather, an implication of one view of ethics, of
> a view that holds that as long as we do not violate
> specified moral rules that place determinate moral
> obligations upon us, we do all that morality demands
> of us. These rules are of the kind made familiar by
> the Ten Commandments and similar moral codes:
> Do not kill, Do not lie, Do not steal, and so on.
> Characteristically they are formulated in the negative,
> so that to obey them it is necessary only to abstain
> from the actions they prohibit. Hence obedience can
> be demanded of every member of the community.
>
> An ethic consisting of specific duties, prescribed by
> moral rules that everyone can be expected to obey,
> must make a sharp moral distinction between acts
> and omissions. Take, for example, the rule: 'Do not
> kill.' If this rule is interpreted, as it has been in the
> Western tradition, as prohibiting only the taking of
> innocent human life, it is not too difficult to avoid
> overt acts in violation of it. Few of us are murderers.
> It is not so easy to avoid letting innocent humans die.
> Many people die because of insufficient food, or poor
> medical facilities. If we could assist some of them, but
> do not do so, we are letting them die. Taking the rule
> against killing to apply to omissions would make living
> in accordance with it a mark of saintliness or moral
> heroism, rather than a minimum required of every
> morally decent person.]
>
> I don't agree with Singer on most of his arguments, but
> I find this one agreeable.

I'm right then. Rudy is setting one standard for vegans that involves moral heroism
and another standard for himself that doesn't. Do you agree?

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

Jones wrote:
> "Derek" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 12:11:16 -0800, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>>
>>> I said of "vegans" that after they're pushed off their
>>> false claim to be "minimizing" harm to animals, they
>>> fall back to a weaker claim of "doing the best I can."
>>> To that, "jones" said:
>>>
>>> That's exactly what we all do --- the best we can.
>>> http://tinyurl.com/yv8a9c
>>>

>>> Then I elaborated on exactly why "vegan" aren't doing
>>> the best they can at reducing animal harm caused by the
>>> things they consume, and to that "jones" replied:
>>>
>>> None of us are. We could all do more.
>>> http://tinyurl.com/2mxunq
>>>

>>> Pretty funny! This guy clearly isn't trying to be
>>> serious; just another usenet jerk-off.

>> Now, ask yourself, would I make a mistake like that?

> I don't think it's a mistake. We all say we're doing the best we can but in reality
> none of us actually are.

You said, "That's exactly what we all do --- the best
we can." You didn't write, "That's what we all say we
do"; you said that's what we all do.

You're explicitly saying that "vegans" who say they're
doing the best they can really are. I've shown you
that they're not. Those "vegans" who have been pushed
first off the "no harm to animals" claim, and then off
the false "minimizing" claim, usually land at the
"doing the best I can" position, and I have shown that
they're not.
Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

Jones wrote:
> "Derek" > wrote in message

>>> Maybe I should have pointed out at the time that though we all say we're doing the
>>> best we can, in reality we aren't.

>> That would've helped. What's being asked for here
>> is "moral heroism" rather than a demand that vegans
>> abide by the rule not to kill animals collaterally during
>> crop production, and Singer describes it rather well.
>>
>> [What grounds are there for accepting the acts and
>> omissions doctrine? Few champion the doctrine for
>> its own sake, as an important ethical first principle.
>> It is, rather, an implication of one view of ethics, of
>> a view that holds that as long as we do not violate
>> specified moral rules that place determinate moral
>> obligations upon us, we do all that morality demands
>> of us. These rules are of the kind made familiar by
>> the Ten Commandments and similar moral codes:
>> Do not kill, Do not lie, Do not steal, and so on.
>> Characteristically they are formulated in the negative,
>> so that to obey them it is necessary only to abstain
>> from the actions they prohibit. Hence obedience can
>> be demanded of every member of the community.
>>
>> An ethic consisting of specific duties, prescribed by
>> moral rules that everyone can be expected to obey,
>> must make a sharp moral distinction between acts
>> and omissions. Take, for example, the rule: 'Do not
>> kill.' If this rule is interpreted, as it has been in the
>> Western tradition, as prohibiting only the taking of
>> innocent human life, it is not too difficult to avoid
>> overt acts in violation of it. Few of us are murderers.
>> It is not so easy to avoid letting innocent humans die.
>> Many people die because of insufficient food, or poor
>> medical facilities. If we could assist some of them, but
>> do not do so, we are letting them die. Taking the rule
>> against killing to apply to omissions would make living
>> in accordance with it a mark of saintliness or moral
>> heroism, rather than a minimum required of every
>> morally decent person.]
>>
>> I don't agree with Singer on most of his arguments, but
>> I find this one agreeable.

> I'm right then. Rudy is setting one standard for vegans

No, I'm saying that none of the status claims "vegans"
make for themselves is true. I'm right. Refraining
from consuming animal parts does not alter the
"vegan's" moral status one bit.
Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:32:34 -0000, "Jones" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote in message ...

>>>Maybe I should have pointed out at the time that though we all say we're doing the
>>>best we can, in reality we aren't.

>> That would've helped. What's being asked for here
>> is "moral heroism" rather than a demand that vegans
>> abide by the rule not to kill animals collaterally during
>> crop production, and Singer describes it rather well.
>>
>> [What grounds are there for accepting the acts and
>> omissions doctrine? Few champion the doctrine for
>> its own sake, as an important ethical first principle.
>> It is, rather, an implication of one view of ethics, of
>> a view that holds that as long as we do not violate
>> specified moral rules that place determinate moral
>> obligations upon us, we do all that morality demands
>> of us. These rules are of the kind made familiar by
>> the Ten Commandments and similar moral codes:
>> Do not kill, Do not lie, Do not steal, and so on.
>> Characteristically they are formulated in the negative,
>> so that to obey them it is necessary only to abstain
>> from the actions they prohibit. Hence obedience can
>> be demanded of every member of the community.
>>
>> An ethic consisting of specific duties, prescribed by
>> moral rules that everyone can be expected to obey,
>> must make a sharp moral distinction between acts
>> and omissions. Take, for example, the rule: 'Do not
>> kill.' If this rule is interpreted, as it has been in the
>> Western tradition, as prohibiting only the taking of
>> innocent human life, it is not too difficult to avoid
>> overt acts in violation of it. Few of us are murderers.
>> It is not so easy to avoid letting innocent humans die.
>> Many people die because of insufficient food, or poor
>> medical facilities. If we could assist some of them, but
>> do not do so, we are letting them die. Taking the rule
>> against killing to apply to omissions would make living
>> in accordance with it a mark of saintliness or moral
>> heroism, rather than a minimum required of every
>> morally decent person.]
>>
>> I don't agree with Singer on most of his arguments, but
>> I find this one agreeable.

>I'm right then. Rudy is setting one standard for vegans that involves moral heroism
>and another standard for himself that doesn't. Do you agree?

Yes, I do. If you understand and empathize with vegans, why
do you continue to eat meat?
Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

"Derek" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:32:34 -0000, "Jones" > wrote:
>>"Derek" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> That would've helped. What's being asked for here
>>> is "moral heroism" rather than a demand that vegans
>>> abide by the rule not to kill animals collaterally during
>>> crop production, and Singer describes it rather well.
>>>
>>> [What grounds are there for accepting the acts and
>>> omissions doctrine? Few champion the doctrine for
>>> its own sake, as an important ethical first principle.
>>> It is, rather, an implication of one view of ethics, of
>>> a view that holds that as long as we do not violate
>>> specified moral rules that place determinate moral
>>> obligations upon us, we do all that morality demands
>>> of us. These rules are of the kind made familiar by
>>> the Ten Commandments and similar moral codes:
>>> Do not kill, Do not lie, Do not steal, and so on.
>>> Characteristically they are formulated in the negative,
>>> so that to obey them it is necessary only to abstain
>>> from the actions they prohibit. Hence obedience can
>>> be demanded of every member of the community.
>>>
>>> An ethic consisting of specific duties, prescribed by
>>> moral rules that everyone can be expected to obey,
>>> must make a sharp moral distinction between acts
>>> and omissions. Take, for example, the rule: 'Do not
>>> kill.' If this rule is interpreted, as it has been in the
>>> Western tradition, as prohibiting only the taking of
>>> innocent human life, it is not too difficult to avoid
>>> overt acts in violation of it. Few of us are murderers.
>>> It is not so easy to avoid letting innocent humans die.
>>> Many people die because of insufficient food, or poor
>>> medical facilities. If we could assist some of them, but
>>> do not do so, we are letting them die. Taking the rule
>>> against killing to apply to omissions would make living
>>> in accordance with it a mark of saintliness or moral
>>> heroism, rather than a minimum required of every
>>> morally decent person.]
>>>
>>> I don't agree with Singer on most of his arguments, but
>>> I find this one agreeable.

>>I'm right then. Rudy is setting one standard for vegans that involves moral heroism
>>and another standard for himself that doesn't. Do you agree?

> Yes, I do. If you understand and empathize with vegans, why
> do you continue to eat meat?

I'm a strength athlete and have to eat large amounts of protein. I carb up during the
winter and restrict them to a minimum (down to 25grams per day) to turn my body into
a fat eater to look good in the summer. I can't do that without eating large amounts
of lean meat and fish. Have you tried going without carbs and going to the gym? When
you eat your brain releases chemicals into your body which forces it to look for
carbs. If no carbs are present you body will eat the fat instead. It's very tiring at
first but you soon get used to it.

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:50:55 -0000, "Jones" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote in message ...

>>>I'm right then. Rudy is setting one standard for vegans that involves moral heroism
>>>and another standard for himself that doesn't. Do you agree?

>> Yes, I do. If you understand and empathize with vegans, why
>> do you continue to eat meat?

>I'm a strength athlete and have to eat large amounts of protein. I carb up during the
>winter and restrict them to a minimum (down to 25grams per day) to turn my body into
>a fat eater to look good in the summer. I can't do that without eating large amounts
>of lean meat and fish. Have you tried going without carbs and going to the gym? When
>you eat your brain releases chemicals into your body which forces it to look for
>carbs. If no carbs are present you body will eat the fat instead. It's very tiring at
>first but you soon get used to it.

Then, against your better judgment you let vanity decide your
moral principles? You want to look good, not just be happy
with being healthy, and in order to do it you throw whatever
moral principles you have regarding animals into the waste
basket. Sorry, Jones, but "I don't buy that."

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

"Derek" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:50:55 -0000, "Jones" > wrote:
>>"Derek" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
m...

>>> Yes, I do. If you understand and empathize with vegans, why
>>> do you continue to eat meat?

>>I'm a strength athlete and have to eat large amounts of protein. I carb up during
>>the
>>winter and restrict them to a minimum (down to 25grams per day) to turn my body
>>into
>>a fat eater to look good in the summer. I can't do that without eating large
>>amounts
>>of lean meat and fish. Have you tried going without carbs and going to the gym?
>>When
>>you eat your brain releases chemicals into your body which forces it to look for
>>carbs. If no carbs are present you body will eat the fat instead. It's very tiring
>>at
>>first but you soon get used to it.

> Then, against your better judgment you let vanity decide your
> moral principles? You want to look good, not just be happy
> with being healthy, and in order to do it you throw whatever
> moral principles you have regarding animals into the waste
> basket. Sorry, Jones, but "I don't buy that."

Did I say that I'm a vegan? No. Did I say I have a moral principle not to eat
animals? No. I'm the first to congratulate them for standing by their principles but
I don't share them.

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

On Feb 23, 2:18*pm, Rudy Canoza SERIOUSLY

> Maybe you shouldn't post at all if you're not really
> being serious, which you aren't

Attention Everyone!

As you can tell Goobs is very, very serious and prefers that only
those equal to or greater than him in seriousness bother posting to
newsgroups.

Sometimes Goobs gets hysterical but that's only because he's so-o-o-o
serious.

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

On Feb 23, 2:36*pm, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
> Jones wrote:
> > "Derek" > wrote in message
> .. .
> om...

> >> That would've helped. What's being asked for here
> >> is "moral heroism" rather than a demand that vegans
> >> abide by the rule not to kill animals collaterally during
> >> crop production, and Singer describes it rather well.

> >> [What grounds are there for accepting the acts and
> >> *omissions doctrine? Few champion the doctrine for
> >> *its own sake, as an important ethical first principle.
> >> *It is, rather, an implication of one view of ethics, of
> >> *a view that holds that as long as we do not violate
> >> *specified moral rules that place determinate moral
> >> *obligations upon us, we do all that morality demands
> >> *of us. These rules are of the kind made familiar by
> >> *the Ten Commandments and similar moral codes:
> >> *Do not kill, Do not lie, Do not steal, and so on.
> >> *Characteristically they are formulated in the negative,
> >> *so that to obey them it is necessary only to abstain
> >> *from the actions they prohibit. Hence obedience can
> >> *be demanded of every member of the community.

> >> *An ethic consisting of specific duties, prescribed by
> >> *moral rules that everyone can be expected to obey,
> >> *must make a sharp moral distinction between acts
> >> *and omissions. Take, for example, the rule: 'Do not
> >> *kill.' If this rule is interpreted, as it has been in the
> >> *Western tradition, as prohibiting only the taking of
> >> *innocent human life, it is not too difficult to avoid
> >> *overt acts in violation of it. Few of us are murderers.
> >> *It is not so easy to avoid letting innocent humans die.
> >> *Many people die because of insufficient food, or poor
> >> *medical facilities. If we could assist some of them, but
> >> *do not do so, we are letting them die. Taking the rule
> >> *against killing to apply to omissions would make living
> >> *in accordance with it a mark of saintliness or moral
> >> *heroism, rather than a minimum required of every
> >> *morally decent person.]

> >> I don't agree with Singer on most of his arguments, but
> >> I find this one agreeable.

> > I'm right then. Rudy is setting one standard for vegans

> No, I'm saying that none of the status claims "vegans"
> make for themselves is true. *I'm right. *Refraining
> from consuming animal parts does not alter the
> "vegan's" moral status one bit.-

and refusing to shoot everyone you meet doesn't either. You're still a
homocidal maniac even if you haven't killed anyone.

Right Goobs?

I'm serious.

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

On Feb 23, 3:07*pm, "Jones" > wrote:
> "Derek" > wrote in message

> > On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:50:55 -0000, "Jones" > wrote:
> >>"Derek" > wrote in message
> . ..
> m...

> >>I'm a strength athlete and have to eat large amounts of protein. I carb up during
> >>the
> >>winter and restrict them to a minimum (down to 25grams per day) to turn my body
> >>into
> >>a fat eater to look good in the summer. I can't do that without eating large
> >>amounts
> >>of lean meat and fish. Have you tried going without carbs and going to the gym?
> >>When
> >>you eat your brain releases chemicals into your body which forces it to look for
> >>carbs. If no carbs are present you body will eat the fat instead. It's very tiring
> >>at
> >>first but you soon get used to it.

> > Then, against your better judgment you let vanity decide your
> > moral principles? You want to look good, not just be happy
> > with being healthy, and in order to do it you throw whatever
> > moral principles you have regarding animals into the waste
> > basket. Sorry, Jones, but "I don't buy that."

> Did I say that I'm a vegan? No. Did I say I have a moral principle not to eat
> animals? No. I'm the first to congratulate them for standing by their principles but
> I don't share them.-

and with *that* statement you just sent Goobs over the edge. He will
now respond with sheer hysterics.

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

Jones wrote:
> "Derek" > wrote in message

>>> I'm a strength athlete and have to eat large amounts of protein. I carb up during
>>> the
>>> winter and restrict them to a minimum (down to 25grams per day) to turn my body
>>> into
>>> a fat eater to look good in the summer. I can't do that without eating large
>>> amounts
>>> of lean meat and fish. Have you tried going without carbs and going to the gym?
>>> When
>>> you eat your brain releases chemicals into your body which forces it to look for
>>> carbs. If no carbs are present you body will eat the fat instead. It's very tiring
>>> at
>>> first but you soon get used to it.

>> Then, against your better judgment you let vanity decide your
>> moral principles? You want to look good, not just be happy
>> with being healthy, and in order to do it you throw whatever
>> moral principles you have regarding animals into the waste
>> basket. Sorry, Jones, but "I don't buy that."

> Did I say that I'm a vegan? No. Did I say I have a moral principle not to eat
> animals? No. I'm the first to congratulate them for standing by their principles but

But they don't.

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

On Feb 23, 4:50 pm, "Jones" > wrote:
> "Derek" > wrote in message

> > On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:32:34 -0000, "Jones" > wrote:
> >>"Derek" > wrote in message
> . ..
> m...

> >>I'm right then. Rudy is setting one standard for vegans that involves moral heroism
> >>and another standard for himself that doesn't. Do you agree?

> > Yes, I do. If you understand and empathize with vegans, why
> > do you continue to eat meat?

> I'm a strength athlete and have to eat large amounts of protein. I carb up during the
> winter and restrict them to a minimum (down to 25grams per day) to turn my body into
> a fat eater to look good in the summer. I can't do that without eating large amounts
> of lean meat and fish. Have you tried going without carbs and going to the gym? When
> you eat your brain releases chemicals into your body which forces it to look for
> carbs. If no carbs are present you body will eat the fat instead. It's very tiring at
> first but you soon get used to it.

Sounds reasonable. Someone said that if you fast for three days, you
get hunger pangs, but if you persist in not eating, your hunger pangs
stops and your body switch to your body fat. It is not until 40 days
is when you can honestly say you are starving. I never tried that
tho, but I won't be above trying 3 days at least.
Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,sci.med.nutrition,rec.running,misc.fitness.weights

> wrote in message
> On Feb 23, 4:50 pm, "Jones" > wrote:

>> . ..
>> m...

>> > Yes, I do. If you understand and empathize with vegans, why
>> > do you continue to eat meat?

>> I'm a strength athlete and have to eat large amounts of protein. I carb up during
>> the
>> winter and restrict them to a minimum (down to 25grams per day) to turn my body
>> into
>> a fat eater to look good in the summer. I can't do that without eating large
>> amounts
>> of lean meat and fish. Have you tried going without carbs and going to the gym?
>> When
>> you eat your brain releases chemicals into your body which forces it to look for
>> carbs. If no carbs are present you body will eat the fat instead. It's very tiring
>> at
>> first but you soon get used to it.

> Sounds reasonable. Someone said that if you fast for three days, you
> get hunger pangs, but if you persist in not eating, your hunger pangs
> stops and your body switch to your body fat. It is not until 40 days
> is when you can honestly say you are starving. I never tried that
> tho, but I won't be above trying 3 days at least.

When I carb down to 25grams a day, after about 2 weeks my body switches from being a
carb eater into a fat eater. I use lipolysis testing strips to measure the keytones
in my urine to confirm that I'm burning off my excess fat when they turn from pink to
dark purple. During this time I can eat as much meat and cheese as I want and still
lose the fat even if I don't work out because meat and cheese contains no carbs at
all. I can't do this on a vegetarian diet because of the carbs in vegetables and
fruit. An apple contains about 13 grams of carbs and if I eat 2 a day my body will no
longer be in a state of lipolysis and the fat doesn't get burned off. I can burn off
up to 10lbs of fat a week using this method. It's hell to start with because the lack
of carbs leave me exhausted but I soon get used to it and find all the energy I need
from my body fat. I wouldn't recommend everyone use it to lose weight but it works
well for me.