FoodBanter.com

-   Vegan (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/)
-   -   Animal welfare, not animal "rights" (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/148976-animal-welfare-not-animal.html)

Rudy Canoza[_3_] 16-02-2008 03:26 AM

Animal welfare, not animal "rights"

Cruelty charges filed against slaughterhouse boss

A video taken at the Chino facility prompted schools
nationwide to pull beef from their menus.

By Victoria Kim, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
2:32 PM PST, February 15, 2008

San Bernardino County prosecutors today filed felony
charges against a former Chino slaughterhouse manager
who allegedly used cruel methods to force at-risk
cattle into the slaughter box. A videotape taken at the
facility has led to schools nationwide pulling beef
from cafeterias.

In what prosecutors called unprecedented charges,
49-year-old Daniel Ugarte Navarro of Pomona faces up to
eight years and eight months in prison if convicted of
five felony counts of animal cruelty and three
misdemeanor counts of illegal movement of a
non-ambulatory animal. Navarro, who was a head pen
manager at Hallmark Meat Packing, was fired last month
after the release of the video by the Humane Society of
the United States.

These charges have been brought not because animals
have rights - they do not; they *cannot* - but because
right-thinking people care about animal welfare, and
don't want animals to be abused.

PinBoard 16-02-2008 01:36 PM

Rudy Canoza wrote:
> Cruelty charges filed against slaughterhouse boss
>
> A video taken at the Chino facility prompted schools nationwide to pull
> beef from their menus.
>
> By Victoria Kim, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
> 2:32 PM PST, February 15, 2008
>
> San Bernardino County prosecutors today filed felony charges against a
> former Chino slaughterhouse manager who allegedly used cruel methods to
> force at-risk cattle into the slaughter box. A videotape taken at the
> facility has led to schools nationwide pulling beef from cafeterias.
>
> In what prosecutors called unprecedented charges, 49-year-old Daniel
> Ugarte Navarro of Pomona faces up to eight years and eight months in
> prison if convicted of five felony counts of animal cruelty and three
> misdemeanor counts of illegal movement of a non-ambulatory animal.
> Navarro, who was a head pen manager at Hallmark Meat Packing, was fired
> last month after the release of the video by the Humane Society of the
> United States.

> These charges have been brought not because animals have rights - they
> do not; they *cannot* - but because right-thinking people care about
> animal welfare, and don't want animals to be abused.

Perhaps breeding animals and processing them for food is abuse.

http://video.hsus.org/index.jsp?fr_s...3b3 0d049b3b7

Rudy Canoza[_3_] 16-02-2008 05:57 PM

PinBoard wrote:
> Rudy Canoza wrote:
>> Cruelty charges filed against slaughterhouse boss
>>
>> A video taken at the Chino facility prompted schools nationwide to
>> pull beef from their menus.
>>
>> By Victoria Kim, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
>> 2:32 PM PST, February 15, 2008
>>
>> San Bernardino County prosecutors today filed felony charges against a
>> former Chino slaughterhouse manager who allegedly used cruel methods
>> to force at-risk cattle into the slaughter box. A videotape taken at
>> the facility has led to schools nationwide pulling beef from cafeterias.
>>
>> In what prosecutors called unprecedented charges, 49-year-old Daniel
>> Ugarte Navarro of Pomona faces up to eight years and eight months in
>> prison if convicted of five felony counts of animal cruelty and three
>> misdemeanor counts of illegal movement of a non-ambulatory animal.
>> Navarro, who was a head pen manager at Hallmark Meat Packing, was
>> fired last month after the release of the video by the Humane Society
>> of the United States.

>> These charges have been brought not because animals have rights - they
>> do not; they *cannot* - but because right-thinking people care about
>> animal welfare, and don't want animals to be abused.

> Perhaps breeding animals and processing them for food is abuse.

No; not to any right-thinking person.

Jeßus[_3_] 17-02-2008 07:43 AM

Rudy Canoza wrote:
> Cruelty charges filed against slaughterhouse boss
>
> A video taken at the Chino facility prompted schools nationwide to pull
> beef from their menus.

Lunch Lady Doris: There's very little meat in these gym mats!

--
"Ralph Wiggum 2008: Because you could do worse."

R Flowers 17-02-2008 06:36 PM

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> Rudy Canoza wrote:
>> Cruelty charges filed against slaughterhouse boss
>>
>> A video taken at the Chino facility prompted schools nationwide to pull
>> beef from their menus.

> Lunch Lady Doris: There's very little meat in these gym mats!

I've always extended the family meatloaf with sawdust. Maybe the whole thing
can be sawdust?

-- R Flowers

Armillaria caligata 17-02-2008 11:19 PM

On Feb 17, 9:36 am, "R Flowers" > wrote:
> "Jeßus" > wrote in message

> > Lunch Lady Doris: There's very little meat in these gym mats!

> I've always extended the family meatloaf with sawdust. Maybe the whole thing
> can be sawdust?

Like Mr Burns' cake. He pickled the figs himself.

Jeßus[_3_] 18-02-2008 01:42 AM

R Flowers wrote:
> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>> Rudy Canoza wrote:
>>> Cruelty charges filed against slaughterhouse boss
>>>
>>> A video taken at the Chino facility prompted schools nationwide to pull
>>> beef from their menus.

>> Lunch Lady Doris: There's very little meat in these gym mats!
>>

> I've always extended the family meatloaf with sawdust. Maybe the whole thing
> can be sawdust?

Sure could! Or you could just bulk it up with a little Uter?

--
"Ralph Wiggum 2008: Because you could do worse."

Armillaria caligata 18-02-2008 02:35 AM

On Feb 17, 4:42 pm, Jeßus > wrote:
> R Flowers wrote:
> > "Jeßus" > wrote in message

> >> Lunch Lady Doris: There's very little meat in these gym mats!

> > I've always extended the family meatloaf with sawdust. Maybe the whole thing
> > can be sawdust?

> Sure could! Or you could just bulk it up with a little Uter?

Isn't there a little Uter in all of us?

Jeßus[_3_] 18-02-2008 07:23 AM

Armillaria caligata wrote:
> On Feb 17, 4:42 pm, Jeßus > wrote:
>> R Flowers wrote:
>>> I've always extended the family meatloaf with sawdust. Maybe the whole thing
>>> can be sawdust?

>> Sure could! Or you could just bulk it up with a little Uter?

> Isn't there a little Uter in all of us?

OMG, I know I was drunk last night, but...

--
"Ralph Wiggum 2008: Because you could do worse."

Jeßus[_3_] 18-02-2008 07:24 AM

Armillaria caligata wrote:
> On Feb 17, 9:36 am, "R Flowers" > wrote:
>> "Jeßus" > wrote in message

>>> Lunch Lady Doris: There's very little meat in these gym mats!

>> I've always extended the family meatloaf with sawdust. Maybe the whole thing
>> can be sawdust?
>>

> Like Mr Burns' cake. He pickled the figs himself.

LOL... that was a great moment :)

--
"Ralph Wiggum 2008: Because you could do worse."

Hermit 21-02-2008 05:38 PM

Animal welfare, not animal "rights"

ALL LIVING THINGS HAVE RIGHTS AS GIVEN TO US BY THE CREATOR! WE ALL WERE
CREATED IN HIS/HER IMMAGE!
THAT IMMAGE IS THE IMMAGE OF PURE LOVE.