FoodBanter.com

-   Vegan (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/)
-   -   the soy debate! (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/148880-soy-debate.html)

figsandolives 14-02-2008 06:11 AM

the soy debate!

Hi all,
I'm hearing unfermented soy (e.g soy milk, tofu..) isn't good for you
because of it's phytic acid content and phytoestrogen messing up the
body's hormones (especially thyroid for women), and how it's been
actually overstated how much soy Asians traditionally ate - who tend to
eat more fermented soy e.g. miso, soy sauce (is this a food!?), etc..

As far as my personal diet goes, I just enjoy soymilk and occasional soy
cheeses. I rarely eat TVP products as I try to eat unprocessed as much
as possible (I have little desire to actually pretend eating meat)

What is the truth here? I like my soymilk.

thanks!

figgy

Jeßus[_3_] 17-02-2008 07:39 AM

the soy debate!

figsandolives wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm hearing unfermented soy (e.g soy milk, tofu..) isn't good for you
> because of it's phytic acid content and phytoestrogen messing up the
> body's hormones (especially thyroid for women), and how it's been
> actually overstated how much soy Asians traditionally ate - who tend to
> eat more fermented soy e.g. miso, soy sauce (is this a food!?), etc..
>
> As far as my personal diet goes, I just enjoy soymilk and occasional soy
> cheeses. I rarely eat TVP products as I try to eat unprocessed as much
> as possible (I have little desire to actually pretend eating meat)
>
> What is the truth here? I like my soymilk.

IMHO, you've stated the truth already :)

Enjoy it in moderation - just don't make soy the overwhelming component
of your diet.

I also couldn't agree more about TVP and other 'fake meat' products...
if someone really needs to eat that crap - maybe they should just be
honest with themselves and eat meat! I've never felt the urge to try to
emulate animal products like that... I see no point in it.

Jeßus[_3_] 17-02-2008 07:39 AM

the soy debate!

Jam Sandwich 17-02-2008 10:39 AM

the soy debate!

Jeßus wrote:

> figsandolives wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I'm hearing unfermented soy (e.g soy milk, tofu..) isn't good for you
> > because of it's phytic acid content and phytoestrogen messing up the
> > body's hormones (especially thyroid for women), and how it's been
> > actually overstated how much soy Asians traditionally ate - who tend to
> > eat more fermented soy e.g. miso, soy sauce (is this a food!?), etc..
> >
> > As far as my personal diet goes, I just enjoy soymilk and occasional soy
> > cheeses. I rarely eat TVP products as I try to eat unprocessed as much
> > as possible (I have little desire to actually pretend eating meat)
> >
> > What is the truth here? I like my soymilk.

> IMHO, you've stated the truth already :)
>
> Enjoy it in moderation - just don't make soy the overwhelming component
> of your diet.
>
> I also couldn't agree more about TVP and other 'fake meat' products...
> if someone really needs to eat that crap - maybe they should just be
> honest with themselves and eat meat! I've never felt the urge to try to
> emulate animal products like that... I see no point in it.

be honest with themselves? I don't understand that..
I like some of the substitute meats, especially in burgers and sausages.
More variety on my plate. Lovely! After 30 years of being veggie I still
lust after my Mum's cottage pie but to eat it is a big no no.. so
anything that fulfills my dream without actually having real animal in
is fine with me.
maybe there's a difference in WHY some of us don't eat meat.
Honestly!

Jeßus[_3_] 17-02-2008 10:52 AM

the soy debate!

Jam Sandwich wrote:
> Jeßus wrote:
>> figsandolives wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I'm hearing unfermented soy (e.g soy milk, tofu..) isn't good for you
>>> because of it's phytic acid content and phytoestrogen messing up the
>>> body's hormones (especially thyroid for women), and how it's been
>>> actually overstated how much soy Asians traditionally ate - who tend to
>>> eat more fermented soy e.g. miso, soy sauce (is this a food!?), etc..
>>>
>>> As far as my personal diet goes, I just enjoy soymilk and occasional soy
>>> cheeses. I rarely eat TVP products as I try to eat unprocessed as much
>>> as possible (I have little desire to actually pretend eating meat)
>>>
>>> What is the truth here? I like my soymilk.

>> IMHO, you've stated the truth already :)
>>
>> Enjoy it in moderation - just don't make soy the overwhelming component
>> of your diet.
>>
>> I also couldn't agree more about TVP and other 'fake meat' products...
>> if someone really needs to eat that crap - maybe they should just be
>> honest with themselves and eat meat! I've never felt the urge to try to
>> emulate animal products like that... I see no point in it.

> be honest with themselves? I don't understand that..
> I like some of the substitute meats, especially in burgers and sausages.
> More variety on my plate. Lovely! After 30 years of being veggie I still
> lust after my Mum's cottage pie but to eat it is a big no no.. so
> anything that fulfills my dream without actually having real animal in
> is fine with me.
> maybe there's a difference in WHY some of us don't eat meat.
> Honestly!

Quite true :)
It's just that I frequently come across people who seem to struggle with
abstaining from meat - but at the same time dislike TVP etc.

But hey - if you really like the stuff, go for it by all means of course! :)

Hermit 21-02-2008 05:09 PM

the soy debate!

Hey Figs,
I used to drink soy milk and eat lots of soy and I got fat. I thought
thats what Vegans ate.
That was 19yrs. ago and now I am a healthy raw vegan.
Have you tried Almond milk? It's just as good for you as soy and tastes
better I think.
Eat your soy in moderation and enjoy.
As far as meat look-a-likes, I try to stay away from them as most are
loaded with fat. Fat is added to add flavor(?)
I think they are good for teens and those who are having trouble
changing to an all veg. diet. In moderation of course. My hardest thing
was cheese.
When I am invited to a cookout I bring a few portabello mushrooms to
throw on the grill (kept seperate) and slap on some Vegan cheese.
Eddie

higher elvisarchy 21-05-2008 03:56 AM

the soy debate!

oh god!

NOT again.

et...

higher elvisarchy 21-05-2008 03:58 AM

the soy debate!

i've had soy for years...

nothing... zip.. zelch... come on.

it's not the soy it's the processing of course.

and i drink soymilk (silk is the best i can find.. the rest their
ingredient lists are way too long...) because i can't drink animal
milk...... GERDsville.

soy has done no damage to me in all the years i've digested it..

i even eat the soynuts/beans straight...

i love propaganda.... just like those who say veganism and vegetarianism
makes you sick, weak, *** and evil!

higher elvisarchy 21-05-2008 04:01 AM

the soy debate!

if they stuggle they should give up.

besides there's some soy products out there which so far in the labels claim
to not have any animal product or biproduct of any type... most times i can
agree because i don't suffer the fires of gerd and make me miserable.

i can tell if it does... after i eat it and my stomach burns like hell i
check again... most times yes.. it'll have something like casein in it and i
missed that entirely.. just like with all that soy/vegan cheese.. yeh....
ok.

they really should make it clear on those packages.... say such as

"vegan burgers!" (then somewhere it should say) not a VEGAN product!

there.

Vicky Conlan 21-05-2008 10:42 AM

the soy debate!

According to >:
>i've had soy for years...

.... and it's not done you any harm, oh, other than turn you
into a complete ranty fruitcake?