Posted to alt.food.vegan

Default All sorted out at last!!!!

E-mail this morning from Pension Credit saying that it's finally up and
running and there's a Special Delivery packet waiting at the sorting office
to be picked up containing the documents!

So it's all finally sorted, and I've just filled in the form for my free
travel pass and got the passport photos for it and other documents ready to
take to the Post Office.

That's not to mention free prescriptions, eye tests and a winter fuel
payment, and probably some more freebies and discounts that I've not
discovered yet.

Still can't quite get my head around the fact that apart from the odd blood
test and occasional other appointment. there will be no-where I will *have
to* go and nothing that I will *have to* do for the rest of my life!

Nice, innit!

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Nemo

Posted to alt.food.vegan

nemo wrote:

> E-mail this morning from Pension Credit saying that it's finally up
> and running and there's a Special Delivery packet waiting at the
> sorting office to be picked up containing the documents!

TMI. Why are you sharing this publicly? Do you lack friends and family?

> Still can't quite get my head around the fact that apart from the odd
> blood test and occasional other appointment. there will be no-where I
> will *have to* go and nothing that I will *have to* do for the rest of
> my life!
>
> Nice, innit!

Only if you have no ambitions or desire to do anything significant with
your time and your life. "Veganism" is hardly doing something
significant -- quite the opposite. It's apparently suited to your
feeble mind and lack of abilities, though.
Posted to alt.food.vegan

"chico" > wrote in message
> nemo wrote:
>
> > E-mail this morning from Pension Credit saying that it's finally up
> > and running and there's a Special Delivery packet waiting at the
> > sorting office to be picked up containing the documents!

> TMI. Why are you sharing this publicly? Do you lack friends and family?
>
> > Still can't quite get my head around the fact that apart from the odd
> > blood test and occasional other appointment. there will be no-where I
> > will *have to* go and nothing that I will *have to* do for the rest of
> > my life!
> >
> > Nice, innit!

> Only if you have no ambitions or desire to do anything significant with
> your time and your life. "Veganism" is hardly doing something
> significant -- quite the opposite. It's apparently suited to your
> feeble mind and lack of abilities, though.

. . . no-where I will *have to* go and nothing that I will *have to* do for
the rest of my life! - and I should have added: and instead just some
lame-brained fascist who doesn't understand all the meanings of the phrase
'have to' trying to take the edge off my happiness and enthusiasm with dumb
remarks!

)

Lack of abilities????? Lack of abilities????? BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...01&uid=1526244

And that's just one activity!

Posted to alt.food.vegan

hampton wrote:

> "chico" > wrote in message
>> nemo wrote:
>>
>> > E-mail this morning from Pension Credit saying that it's finally up
>> > and running and there's a Special Delivery packet waiting at the
>> > sorting office to be picked up containing the documents!

>> TMI. Why are you sharing this publicly? Do you lack friends and
>> family?
>>
>> > Still can't quite get my head around the fact that apart from the
>> > odd blood test and occasional other appointment. there will be
>> > no-where I will *have to* go and nothing that I will *have to* do
>> > for the rest of my life!
>> >
>> > Nice, innit!

>> Only if you have no ambitions or desire to do anything significant
>> with your time and your life. "Veganism" is hardly doing something
>> significant -- quite the opposite. It's apparently suited to your
>> feeble mind and lack of abilities, though.

> . . . no-where I will *have to* go and nothing that I will *have to*
> do for
> the rest of my life! - and I should have added: and instead just some
> lame-brained fascist who doesn't understand all the meanings of the

"The word Fascism has now no meaning except in so far as it signifies
'something not desirable.'" -- George Orwell "Politics and the English
Language", 1946

fas·cism (fshzm)
n.
Posted to alt.food.vegan

"chico" > wrote in message
> hampton wrote:

> >> TMI. Why are you sharing this publicly? Do you lack friends and
> >> family?

> >> Only if you have no ambitions or desire to do anything significant
> >> with your time and your life. "Veganism" is hardly doing something
> >> significant -- quite the opposite. It's apparently suited to your
> >> feeble mind and lack of abilities, though.

> > . . . no-where I will *have to* go and nothing that I will *have to*
> > do for
> > the rest of my life! - and I should have added: and instead just some
> > lame-brained fascist who doesn't understand all the meanings of the

> "The word Fascism has now no meaning except in so far as it signifies
> 'something not desirable.'" -- George Orwell "Politics and the English
> Language", 1946
>
> fas·cism (fshzm)
> n.
> 1. often Fascism
> a. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a
> dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the
> opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of
> belligerent nationalism and racism.
> b. A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a
> system of government.
> 2. Oppressive, dictatorial control.
> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fascism
>
> I don't advocate what any such system defined in 1a or 1b -- such is
> entirely at odds with my belief in free markets and I fully disdain
> policies of political exclusion based on genetic traits like skin
> color, ancestry, etc. I also thoroughly oppose what's defined in 2:
> it's people on the Left like you who seek to silence critics and
> criticism -- just as Michael did when he feebly told me to get a life
> -- rather than meet objections with evidence (logic, reason) of your
> conviction.
>
> I'm not a fascist, but in calling me one you've displayed your ignorance
> of what the word actually means.
>
> > phrase 'have to' trying to take the edge off my happiness and
> > enthusiasm with dumb remarks!
> >
> > )
> >
> > Lack of abilities????? Lack of abilities????? BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

> Market your skills instead of whining about how old you are.
>
> http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...01&uid=1526244
>

> > And that's just one activity!

> Rather good, too. What's your relationship to Joan (your stuff is on her
> account)? Spare us explanations and accounts of your "activities" with
> her.
> http://pic17.picturetrail.com:80/VOL...7/53965087.jpg

Naughty! Chance would be a fine thing! ;o) I was asked to post some stuff
somewhere where people on a particular text-only group could see it and as
usual I put in on alt.binaries.clip-art, which is a 'clean' binaries group
and as such appears on nearly all servers.

Some people however had text only servers so Joan put the pics on
picturetrial for them to see. I'll subscribe to it myself when I get around
to it.

Not before I've got a new PC though and all the trimmings including a
digital camera and a new scanner so that I can put my more recent stuff on
there.

I'll be wandering down to Morgan's tomorrow to have a look at this one.

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/sho...ProductID=3802

I'll probably settle for an Epson scanner. There's one that's highly
recommended and also scans slides and negatives.

Posted to alt.food.vegan

nemo wrote:

> [...]

>> her account)? Spare us explanations and accounts of your "activities"
>> with her.
>> http://pic17.picturetrail.com:80/VOL...7/53965087.jpg

> Naughty! Chance would be a fine thing! ;o) I was asked to post some
> stuff somewhere where people on a particular text-only group could see
> it and as usual I put in on alt.binaries.clip-art, which is a 'clean'
> binaries group and as such appears on nearly all servers.
>
> Some people however had text only servers so Joan put the pics on
> picturetrial for them to see. I'll subscribe to it myself when I get
> around to it.
>
> Not before I've got a new PC though and all the trimmings including a
> digital camera and a new scanner so that I can put my more recent
> stuff on there.
>
> I'll be wandering down to Morgan's tomorrow to have a look at this

Why do you need a new computer? And why get one that runs Windows after
you recent diatribe against it? If your current system is relatively
functional -- meaning capable of running Win98 or better -- consider
switching to Linux. The computer I'm using right now is hardly state of
the art ("made for Win98"), but it's faster under Linux than it ever
was with Windows and it works more seamlessly with all my peripherals
than my nearly-cutting edge XP computer (which will get the same Linux
treatment very soon). You can always try a live CD (before installing)
to see if your stuff is auto-detected by certain distros that might
appeal to you. Depending on the age of your system, there are several
that should work well both with what you already have and whatever you
might want to add.

> I'll probably settle for an Epson scanner. There's one that's highly
> recommended and also scans slides and negatives.

Posted to alt.food.vegan

"chico" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > one.
> >
> > http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/sho...ProductID=3802

> Why do you need a new computer? And why get one that runs Windows after
> you recent diatribe against it? If your current system is relatively
> functional -- meaning capable of running Win98 or better -- consider
> switching to Linux. The computer I'm using right now is hardly state of
> the art ("made for Win98"), but it's faster under Linux than it ever
> was with Windows and it works more seamlessly with all my peripherals
> than my nearly-cutting edge XP computer (which will get the same Linux
> treatment very soon). You can always try a live CD (before installing)
> to see if your stuff is auto-detected by certain distros that might
> appeal to you. Depending on the age of your system, there are several
> that should work well both with what you already have and whatever you

Here are the reasons: 266MHz Pentium II processor; 6.4GB - that's six point
four GB Hard Drive in three partitions; kaput Memorex CD-RW drive; kaput (as
usual) 2GB Jaz Drive; 64M RAM; Matrox Millenuim 16M Graphics Card, Yamahaha
on-board crappy sound, refurbished £46 Compaq monitor (the original went
BANG last year, literally) and Telewest (now Virgin) Broadband won't work
with WIN98SE . . . .

The end is listless.

And although it's very good, Linux won't run Adobe software!

Posted to alt.food.vegan

nemo wrote:

> "chico" > wrote in message
>> nemo wrote:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...01&uid=1526244

http://pic17.picturetrail.com:80/VOL...7/53965087.jpg

>> > Naughty! Chance would be a fine thing! ;o) I was asked to post
>> > some stuff somewhere where people on a particular text-only group
>> > could see it and as usual I put in on alt.binaries.clip-art, which
>> > is a 'clean' binaries group and as such appears on nearly all
>> > servers.
>> >
>> > Some people however had text only servers so Joan put the pics on
>> > picturetrial for them to see. I'll subscribe to it myself when I
>> > get around to it.
>> >
>> > Not before I've got a new PC though and all the trimmings including
>> > a digital camera and a new scanner so that I can put my more recent
>> > stuff on there.
>> >
>> > I'll be wandering down to Morgan's tomorrow to have a look at this
>> > one.
>> >
>> > http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/sho...ProductID=3802

>> Why do you need a new computer? And why get one that runs Windows
>> after you recent diatribe against it? If your current system is
>> relatively functional -- meaning capable of running Win98 or better
>> -- consider switching to Linux. The computer I'm using right now is
>> hardly state of the art ("made for Win98"), but it's faster under
>> Linux than it ever was with Windows and it works more seamlessly with
>> all my peripherals than my nearly-cutting edge XP computer (which
>> will get the same Linux treatment very soon). You can always try a
>> live CD (before installing) to see if your stuff is auto-detected by
>> certain distros that might appeal to you. Depending on the age of
>> your system, there are several that should work well both with what
>> you already have and whatever you might want to add.

> Here are the reasons: 266MHz Pentium II processor; 6.4GB - that's six
> point four GB Hard Drive in three partitions; kaput Memorex CD-RW
> drive; kaput (as usual) 2GB Jaz Drive; 64M RAM; Matrox Millenuim 16M
> Graphics Card, Yamahaha on-board crappy sound, refurbished £46 Compaq
> monitor (the original went BANG last year, literally) and Telewest
> (now Virgin) Broadband won't work
> with WIN98SE . . . .
>
> The end is listless.

There are distros that could run on that very well. But if you want to
catch up with the rest of the world, you'll definitely be much happier
with a new(er) system.

> And although it's very good, Linux won't run Adobe software!

Eh, which Adobe software do you need to run? There's always wine...
Posted to alt.food.vegan

"chico" > wrote in message
> nemo wrote:

> http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...01&uid=1526244

> http://pic17.picturetrail.com:80/VOL...7/53965087.jpg

> >> Why do you need a new computer? And why get one that runs Windows
> >> after you recent diatribe against it? If your current system is
> >> relatively functional -- meaning capable of running Win98 or better
> >> -- consider switching to Linux. The computer I'm using right now is
> >> hardly state of the art ("made for Win98"), but it's faster under
> >> Linux than it ever was with Windows and it works more seamlessly with
> >> all my peripherals than my nearly-cutting edge XP computer (which
> >> will get the same Linux treatment very soon). You can always try a
> >> live CD (before installing) to see if your stuff is auto-detected by
> >> certain distros that might appeal to you. Depending on the age of
> >> your system, there are several that should work well both with what
> >> you already have and whatever you might want to add.

> > Here are the reasons: 266MHz Pentium II processor; 6.4GB - that's six
> > point four GB Hard Drive in three partitions; kaput Memorex CD-RW
> > drive; kaput (as usual) 2GB Jaz Drive; 64M RAM; Matrox Millenuim 16M
> > Graphics Card, Yamahaha on-board crappy sound, refurbished £46 Compaq
> > monitor (the original went BANG last year, literally) and Telewest
> > (now Virgin) Broadband won't work
> > with WIN98SE . . . .
> >
> > The end is listless.

> There are distros that could run on that very well. But if you want to
> catch up with the rest of the world, you'll definitely be much happier
> with a new(er) system.

I do realise that. )

> > And although it's very good, Linux won't run Adobe software!

> Eh, which Adobe software do you need to run? There's always wine...

Photoshop, Image Ready, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and InDesign.

I've only got Photoshop and Image Ready on the Dell. It'd be nice to have
the lot available at once.

Wine? In that Linux' version of Photoshop?

Posted to alt.food.vegan

nemo wrote:

> "chico" > wrote in message
>> nemo wrote:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...01&uid=1526244

>> http://pic17.picturetrail.com:80/VOL...7/53965087.jpg

>> > Here are the reasons: 266MHz Pentium II processor; 6.4GB - that's
>> > six point four GB Hard Drive in three partitions; kaput Memorex
>> > CD-RW drive; kaput (as usual) 2GB Jaz Drive; 64M RAM; Matrox
>> > Millenuim 16M Graphics Card, Yamahaha on-board crappy sound,
>> > refurbished £46 Compaq monitor (the original went BANG last year,
>> > literally) and Telewest (now Virgin) Broadband won't work
>> > with WIN98SE . . . .
>> >
>> > The end is listless.

>> There are distros that could run on that very well. But if you want
>> to catch up with the rest of the world, you'll definitely be much
>> happier with a new(er) system.

> I do realise that. )
>>
>> > And although it's very good, Linux won't run Adobe software!

>> Eh, which Adobe software do you need to run? There's always wine...

> Photoshop, Image Ready, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and InDesign.

There are very good GPL'ed alternatives for those programs.

> I've only got Photoshop and Image Ready on the Dell. It'd be nice to
> have the lot available at once.
>
> Wine? In that Linux' version of Photoshop?

Wine is the recursive acronym for Wine Is Not an Emulator. It allows
Windows .EXE files to run in BSD, Linux, Solaris, etc.
http://www.winehq.com

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is one of the best-known Linux
equivalents of Photoshop. It's not nearly as "polished" as Photoshop,
but I'm not enough of an "artist" to know the difference. I've used it
for photoshopping images at fark.com, etc. GIMP also has a Windows
version if you want to give it a look.
http://www.gimp.org/

Posted to alt.food.vegan

chico wrote:

<...>

>>> Eh, which Adobe software do you need to run? There's always wine...

>> Photoshop, Image Ready, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and InDesign.

> There are very good GPL'ed alternatives for those programs.
>
>> I've only got Photoshop and Image Ready on the Dell. It'd be nice to
>> have the lot available at once.
>>
>> Wine? In that Linux' version of Photoshop?

> Wine is the recursive acronym for Wine Is Not an Emulator. It allows
> Windows .EXE files to run in BSD, Linux, Solaris, etc.
> http://www.winehq.com
>
> GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is one of the best-known Linux
> equivalents of Photoshop. It's not nearly as "polished" as Photoshop,
> but I'm not enough of an "artist" to know the difference. I've used it
> for photoshopping images at fark.com, etc. GIMP also has a Windows
> version if you want to give it a look.
> http://www.gimp.org/

Forgot about inkscape -- SVG/Illustrator-type app. Check out the
screenshots.
http://www.inkscape.org/index.php?lang=en
Posted to alt.food.vegan

"chico" > wrote in message
> nemo wrote:

> http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...01&uid=1526244

> >> http://pic17.picturetrail.com:80/VOL...7/53965087.jpg

> >> There are distros that could run on that very well. But if you want
> >> to catch up with the rest of the world, you'll definitely be much
> >> happier with a new(er) system.

> > I do realise that. )

> >> Eh, which Adobe software do you need to run? There's always wine...

> > Photoshop, Image Ready, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and InDesign.

> There are very good GPL'ed alternatives for those programs.
>
> > I've only got Photoshop and Image Ready on the Dell. It'd be nice to
> > have the lot available at once.
> >
> > Wine? In that Linux' version of Photoshop?

> Wine is the recursive acronym for Wine Is Not an Emulator. It allows
> Windows .EXE files to run in BSD, Linux, Solaris, etc.
> http://www.winehq.com

I didn't know that. How fast is it though? Emulators are usually a bit
sluggish.

> GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is one of the best-known Linux
> equivalents of Photoshop. It's not nearly as "polished" as Photoshop,
> but I'm not enough of an "artist" to know the difference. I've used it
> for photoshopping images at fark.com, etc. GIMP also has a Windows
> version if you want to give it a look.
> http://www.gimp.org/

Thanks for the links.

Still - if Morgan Computers have been dumb enough to put Vista on the
Hewlett Packard PC I'm after, I'll go for a Mac and sod the expense. Then
Photoshop will go like lightning.

Posted to alt.food.vegan

nemo wrote:

> "chico" > wrote in message
>> nemo wrote:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...01&uid=1526244

http://pic17.picturetrail.com:80/VOL...7/53965087.jpg

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/sho...ProductID=3802

>> > I do realise that. )

>> > Photoshop, Image Ready, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and InDesign.

>> There are very good GPL'ed alternatives for those programs.
>>
>> > I've only got Photoshop and Image Ready on the Dell. It'd be nice
>> > to have the lot available at once.
>> >
>> > Wine? In that Linux' version of Photoshop?

>> Wine is the recursive acronym for Wine Is Not an Emulator. It allows
>> Windows .EXE files to run in BSD, Linux, Solaris, etc.
>> http://www.winehq.com

> I didn't know that. How fast is it though? Emulators are usually a bit
> sluggish.

INE = it's not an emulator.

Depends on your hardware, but you shouldn't see significant loss of
performance. The site has loads of reviews of how to get various Win
applications running and how well they run. It's not a perfect solution
for some applications, and buggy Windows apps remain buggy under WINE.

A little more polished (and not "free") is Crossover.
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/

>> GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is one of the best-known Linux
>> equivalents of Photoshop. It's not nearly as "polished" as Photoshop,
>> but I'm not enough of an "artist" to know the difference. I've used
>> it for photoshopping images at fark.com, etc. GIMP also has a Windows
>> version if you want to give it a look.
>> http://www.gimp.org/

> Thanks for the links.

NP.

> Still - if Morgan Computers have been dumb enough to put Vista on the
> Hewlett Packard PC I'm after, I'll go for a Mac and sod the expense.
> Then Photoshop will go like lightning.

Morgan doesn't add the OS, the assembler (HP) does. My understanding is
MS no longer allows the assemblers to install XP. Not sure why you'd
have problems with Vista over and beyond XP, aside from XP finally
being "mature" and (somewhat) "stable." And no matter what your
grievance with MS is, Apple is worse: their licensing agreement not
only restricts you the way MS' does, Apple doesn't allow you any
freedom of choice in your hardware -- their OS will only work on their
mediocre hardware; they're not immune to malware, just less so; they're
not without their own "issues"; etc.
http://www.macfixitforums.com/postli...&Board=Forum35

Steve Jobs is a dickhead (a brilliant one who knows how to get people to
buy his mediocre hardware at premium prices, but a dickhead
nevertheless). Just how powerful does he think his software products
are? This is from the iTunes EULA:
Export Control. You may not use or otherwise export or reexport the
Apple Software except as authorized by United States law and the laws
of the jurisdiction in which the Apple Software was obtained. In
particular, but without limitation, the Apple Software may not be
exported or re-exported (a) into any U.S. embargoed countries or (b) to
anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department?s list of Specially Designated
Nationals or the U.S. Department of Commerce Denied Person?s List or
Entity List. By using the Apple Software, you represent and warrant
that you are not located in any such country or on any such list. You
also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes
prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the
development, design, manufacture or production of missiles, or nuclear,
chemical or biological weapons.

So iTunes can be used in the development, design, manufacture or
production of missiles and WMD?! Who the hell is Apple kidding.

That makes me wanna use the last two Mac mobos in my spares box for
target practice. They're not worth much anyway (601 and 603e),
especially since I haven't touched a Mac since I was a kid.
Posted to alt.food.vegan

"chico" > wrote in message
> nemo wrote:

> http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...01&uid=1526244

> http://pic17.picturetrail.com:80/VOL...7/53965087.jpg

> http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/sho...ProductID=3802

> >> There are very good GPL'ed alternatives for those programs.

> >> Wine is the recursive acronym for Wine Is Not an Emulator. It allows
> >> Windows .EXE files to run in BSD, Linux, Solaris, etc.
> >> http://www.winehq.com

> > I didn't know that. How fast is it though? Emulators are usually a bit
> > sluggish.

> INE = it's not an emulator.
>
> Depends on your hardware, but you shouldn't see significant loss of
> performance. The site has loads of reviews of how to get various Win
> applications running and how well they run. It's not a perfect solution
> for some applications, and buggy Windows apps remain buggy under WINE.
>
> A little more polished (and not "free") is Crossover.
> http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/
>
> >> GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is one of the best-known Linux
> >> equivalents of Photoshop. It's not nearly as "polished" as Photoshop,
> >> but I'm not enough of an "artist" to know the difference. I've used
> >> it for photoshopping images at fark.com, etc. GIMP also has a Windows
> >> version if you want to give it a look.
> >> http://www.gimp.org/

> > Thanks for the links.

> NP.
>
> > Still - if Morgan Computers have been dumb enough to put Vista on the
> > Hewlett Packard PC I'm after, I'll go for a Mac and sod the expense.
> > Then Photoshop will go like lightning.

> Morgan doesn't add the OS, the assembler (HP) does. My understanding is
> MS no longer allows the assemblers to install XP. Not sure why you'd
> have problems with Vista over and beyond XP,

A number of reasons, the main one being that Vista enables M$ to remove
programs from your PC that it doesn't happen to approve of. This was the
first thing I saw regarding Vista on the BBC website. If it can do that, it
can do anything.

I also download a hell of a lot of music - not modern pop rubbish - can't
stand it - world music and vintage popular from the 60s backwards, from
newsgroups, and with a new PC I'll probably end up downloading video as
well, and I don't want an OS that deliberately buggers the quality for the
sake of copyright fees demanded by an industry that's been ripping us off
for years already and deserves everything it gets!

> aside from XP finally
> being "mature" and (somewhat) "stable." And no matter what your
> grievance with MS is, Apple is worse: their licensing agreement not
> only restricts you the way MS' does, Apple doesn't allow you any
> freedom of choice in your hardware -- their OS will only work on their
> mediocre hardware; they're not immune to malware, just less so; they're
> not without their own "issues"; etc.
> http://www.macfixitforums.com/postli...&Board=Forum35
>
> Steve Jobs is a dickhead (a brilliant one who knows how to get people to
> buy his mediocre hardware at premium prices, but a dickhead
> nevertheless). Just how powerful does he think his software products
> are? This is from the iTunes EULA:
> Export Control. You may not use or otherwise export or reexport

the
> Apple Software except as authorized by United States law and the

laws
> of the jurisdiction in which the Apple Software was obtained. In
> particular, but without limitation, the Apple Software may not be
> exported or re-exported (a) into any U.S. embargoed countries or

(b) to
> anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department?s list of Specially

Designated
> Nationals or the U.S. Department of Commerce Denied Person?s List

or
> Entity List. By using the Apple Software, you represent and

warrant
> that you are not located in any such country or on any such list.

You
> also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes
> prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation,

the
> development, design, manufacture or production of missiles, or

nuclear,
> chemical or biological weapons.
>
> So iTunes can be used in the development, design, manufacture or
> production of missiles and WMD?! Who the hell is Apple kidding.
>
> That makes me wanna use the last two Mac mobos in my spares box for
> target practice. They're not worth much anyway (601 and 603e),
> especially since I haven't touched a Mac since I was a kid.

Posted to alt.food.vegan

nemo wrote:
> "chico" > wrote in message
>> nemo wrote:

>> http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...01&uid=1526244
>>>>>>>>>>

>> http://pic17.picturetrail.com:80/VOL...7/53965087.jpg

>> http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/sho...ProductID=3802

>>> I didn't know that. How fast is it though? Emulators are usually a bit
>>> sluggish.

>> INE = it's not an emulator.
>>
>> Depends on your hardware, but you shouldn't see significant loss of
>> performance. The site has loads of reviews of how to get various Win
>> applications running and how well they run. It's not a perfect solution
>> for some applications, and buggy Windows apps remain buggy under WINE.
>>
>> A little more polished (and not "free") is Crossover.
>> http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/

>>> Thanks for the links.

>> NP.
>>
>>> Still - if Morgan Computers have been dumb enough to put Vista on the
>>> Hewlett Packard PC I'm after, I'll go for a Mac and sod the expense.
>>> Then Photoshop will go like lightning.

>> Morgan doesn't add the OS, the assembler (HP) does. My understanding is
>> MS no longer allows the assemblers to install XP. Not sure why you'd
>> have problems with Vista over and beyond XP,

> A number of reasons, the main one being that Vista enables M$ to remove
> programs from your PC that it doesn't happen to approve of. This was the
> first thing I saw regarding Vista on the BBC website. If it can do that, it
> can do anything.

This is an exaggeration, pure FUD. While I appreciate a lot of the
arguments against DRM, I think there's an awful lot of rhetoric that
doesn't meet the reality.

> I also download a hell of a lot of music - not modern pop rubbish - can't
> stand it - world music and vintage popular from the 60s backwards, from
> newsgroups, and with a new PC I'll probably end up downloading video as
> well,

And you think Apple, the world's largest user of DRM via iTunes and the
rest of their software, is better... how?

If you dislike Bill Gates because of DRM, you should thoroughly despise
Steve Jobs. Steve Jobs shouldn't get a free pass on the DRM issue. It's
why Apple is even still in business. Their business *IS* DRM.

> and I don't want an OS that deliberately buggers the quality for the
> sake of copyright fees demanded by an industry that's been ripping us off
> for years already and deserves everything it gets!

Apple is as much a part of that industry as Microsoft, and Apple gets a
cut on both the hardware and software.What I don't quite get is why
you'd let Apple off the hook to the extent that you'd spend a premium
price for nearly identical hardware (some of it's pure crap compared to
better PC builders) and when Apple's core business model relies on their
DRM agreements with RIAA and its member companies.

>> aside from XP finally
>> being "mature" and (somewhat) "stable." And no matter what your
>> grievance with MS is, Apple is worse: their licensing agreement not
>> only restricts you the way MS' does, Apple doesn't allow you any
>> freedom of choice in your hardware -- their OS will only work on their
>> mediocre hardware; they're not immune to malware, just less so; they're
>> not without their own "issues"; etc.
>> http://www.macfixitforums.com/postli...&Board=Forum35
>>
>> Steve Jobs is a dickhead (a brilliant one who knows how to get people to
>> buy his mediocre hardware at premium prices, but a dickhead
>> nevertheless). Just how powerful does he think his software products
>> are? This is from the iTunes EULA:
>> Export Control. You may not use or otherwise export or reexport

> the
>> Apple Software except as authorized by United States law and the

> laws
>> of the jurisdiction in which the Apple Software was obtained. In
>> particular, but without limitation, the Apple Software may not be
>> exported or re-exported (a) into any U.S. embargoed countries or

> (b) to
>> anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department?s list of Specially

> Designated
>> Nationals or the U.S. Department of Commerce Denied Person?s List

> or
>> Entity List. By using the Apple Software, you represent and

> warrant
>> that you are not located in any such country or on any such list.

> You
>> also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes
>> prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation,

> the
>> development, design, manufacture or production of missiles, or

> nuclear,
>> chemical or biological weapons.
>>
>> So iTunes can be used in the development, design, manufacture or
>> production of missiles and WMD?! Who the hell is Apple kidding.
>>
>> That makes me wanna use the last two Mac mobos in my spares box for
>> target practice. They're not worth much anyway (601 and 603e),
>> especially since I haven't touched a Mac since I was a kid.

Posted to alt.food.vegan

"chico" > wrote in message
> nemo wrote:

> >> http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...01&uid=1526244
> >>>>>>>>>>
> >> http://pic17.picturetrail.com:80/VOL...7/53965087.jpg

> >> http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/sho...ProductID=3802

> >> INE = it's not an emulator.
> >>
> >> Depends on your hardware, but you shouldn't see significant loss of
> >> performance. The site has loads of reviews of how to get various Win
> >> applications running and how well they run. It's not a perfect solution
> >> for some applications, and buggy Windows apps remain buggy under WINE.
> >>
> >> A little more polished (and not "free") is Crossover.
> >> http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/

> >> NP.

> >> Morgan doesn't add the OS, the assembler (HP) does. My understanding is
> >> MS no longer allows the assemblers to install XP. Not sure why you'd
> >> have problems with Vista over and beyond XP,

> > A number of reasons, the main one being that Vista enables M$ to remove
> > programs from your PC that it doesn't happen to approve of. This was the
> > first thing I saw regarding Vista on the BBC website. If it can do that,

it
> > can do anything.

> This is an exaggeration, pure FUD. While I appreciate a lot of the
> arguments against DRM, I think there's an awful lot of rhetoric that
> doesn't meet the reality.

Oh no it's not! It's part of the specification and one of the BBC's experts
described it on their website! And there's more . .

Anyway, it's too late now. I've just ordered a brand new but slightly
obsolescent HP one with XP. It's an incredible bargain. The latest version
costs nearly twice as much.

See "Just ordered the new PC" below.

<snip>

Posted to alt.food.vegan

nemo wrote:
> "chico" > wrote in message
>> nemo wrote:

>>> A number of reasons, the main one being that Vista enables M$ to remove
>>> programs from your PC that it doesn't happen to approve of. This was the
>>> first thing I saw regarding Vista on the BBC website. If it can do that,

> it
>>> can do anything.

>> This is an exaggeration, pure FUD. While I appreciate a lot of the
>> arguments against DRM, I think there's an awful lot of rhetoric that
>> doesn't meet the reality.
>>

> Oh no it's not! It's part of the specification and one of the BBC's experts
> described it on their website!

Experts in what? It's total BS. It's nothing but FUD. The kind of people
who go on BBC are seldom experts as much as they're either scaremongers
or activists with their own agenda.

I know the difference. I use Linux nearly exclusively now, but I worked
for a long time with NT (workstations and servers). The tools in
question have been in use for server customers and customers with
critical needs for about ten to twelve years. NT was the base for ME,
XP, and Longhorn (now Vista) and these tools are just a lot more evolved
now.

The issue raised the loudest is about Vista's *default* policy with
respect to signed/unsigned drivers, and also policies related to media
content. The driver policies have been "hardened" because this is area
where Windows users have been most vulnerable. The media content is a
different area, but MS cannot and will not shut you down for having
unsigned or even blatantly illegal material on your computer.

You can change the defaults if you want and how you want, but that's
seldom a good idea regardless of what OS you're running. It will mean
you have the same vulnerabilities and risks you had in earlier Windows
versions.

The underlying idea of all this is one that MS has FINALLY gotten right:
that system-wide changes should only be made by a super user (root in
Unix terminology) and that users should have different levels of ability
to make changes that will affect the system. Prior to NT/XP, every MS
user had root privileges to add programs and drivers that could (and
did!) affect the entire system adversely -- it was less MS' fault than
naive and even stupid users who were enamored with dangerous little EXEs
and COMs they'd send each other on the internet. More often than not,
removing the driver or faulty application was insufficient to restore
the system because system changes are maintained in the Windows registry.

Since NT/XP, people who own computers running Windows have been able to
distinguish between administrators and users of their computers. This
has reduced a lot (not all) of issues related to compromised registries.
It's a lot easier to recover from something today on XP/Vista than it
was when you used Win95/98.

Vista takes it all a baby step further and *by default* -- you can open
your system up as much as you like to malware, just don't blame anyone
but yourself when shit happens. Now things that affect the system will
have to include third-party digital signatures for security
verification. This isn't much different from a checksum for a downloaded
file or a certificate from a website or an electronic signature on a
signed e-mail. It's not a perfect solution, but it's one that will keep
more home and work systems stable longer. And it's not altogether new:
MS has had signed driver programs for years (second link).

See:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...sta_ff_uac.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winlog...ign_perOS.mspx

BTW, Linux founder Linus Torvalds is rather agnostic on the subject of
DRM. See the second link for his views on digitally-signed drivers and
applications:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/04...s_blesses_drm/
http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6034964.html
http://tinyurl.com/yh5drl

> And there's more . .

No, there really isn't. It's FUD. How many of all these Vista computers
that have been sold -- many owners of which are still using them on p2p
networks just like they did in with 95/98/XP -- have been crippled by
MS? Where are the articles and interviews of people madder than hell
because their computers have been locked shut by people flying black
helicopters in Redmond, Washington?

All that says is that XP has vulnerabilities that don't yet plague
Vista: "None of the patches affected Vista - the newest version of the
Windows operating system which was released on 30 January." Why would
that steer you towards XP?

I'm down to XP on one computer now. It's set up for Microsoft's
automatic updates. All they've ever done is verify that my license is
legit, send and install update patches as soon as they're available,
etc. I know what they've done because I log every bit of it. That
computer will most likely get Linux within the year, either totally or
for dual-boot (so many Windows games...). I've no idea if I'll ever get
another MS license, but if I do it won't be based on irrational hysteria
about digital signatures -- which I rely on already to some extent
whenever I install anything on my Linux/BSD computers.

> Anyway, it's too late now. I've just ordered a brand new but slightly
> obsolescent HP one with XP. It's an incredible bargain. The latest version
> costs nearly twice as much.
>
> See "Just ordered the new PC" below.

You're still giving a pound of flesh to Bill Gates. Sucker. At least you
didn't compound your grief by getting a Mac and giving all that taxpayer
money to Steve Jobs -- a far more loathsome prick than Bill Gates will
ever be -- for his mediocre hardware.
Posted to alt.food.vegan

"chico" > wrote in message
> [...]

> etc. I know what they've done because I log every bit of it. That
> computer will most likely get Linux within the year, either totally or
> for dual-boot (so many Windows games...). I've no idea if I'll ever get
> another MS license, but if I do it won't be based on irrational hysteria
> about digital signatures -- which I rely on already to some extent
> whenever I install anything on my Linux/BSD computers.
>
> > Anyway, it's too late now. I've just ordered a brand new but slightly
> > obsolescent HP one with XP. It's an incredible bargain. The latest

version
> > costs nearly twice as much.
> >
> > See "Just ordered the new PC" below.

> You're still giving a pound of flesh to Bill Gates. Sucker. At least you
> didn't compound your grief by getting a Mac and giving all that taxpayer
> money to Steve Jobs -- a far more loathsome prick than Bill Gates will

My Civil Service pension isn't taxpayers' money. It was contributory. I paid
in for it out of my hard-earned wages each week!

You've got taxpayers money on the brain, you have!