Posted to alt.food.vegan

Default Wal-Mart accused of incorrectly labeling organic products

Ah, Wal-Mart -- always reliable for some good old-fashioned eco-drama.
This week, the Cornucopia Institute, an activist group representing
small farmers, filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of
Agriculture that accuses Wal-Mart of incorrectly labeling or otherwise
misrepresenting various products as organic in some stores. Visiting a
dozen stores in four Midwestern states, the group found several
troubling misrepresentations. In one case, "all-natural" yogurt was
labeled organic; in several stores, non-organic products were residing
in an organic-designated cooler. "We live and die by the reputation of
the organic label," says Cornucopia cofounder and organic farmer Mark
Kastel. "If Wal-Mart cheapens it, we all lose." Wal-Mart pooh-poohed
the accusations and defended its organic offerings. Nevertheless, the
USDA has opened an investigation into the retailer's organic-labeling
practices; violations of labeling standards can carry a fine of $10,000
per instance.

straight to the source: The Washington Post, Ylan Q. Mui, 15 Nov 2006

straight to the source: Gazette Extra, Associated Press, Emily Fredrix,

straight to the source: Detroit Free Press, Bloomberg News Service,
Alan Bjerga, 15 Nov 2006

straight to the source: Star Tribune, Matt McKinney, 14 Nov 2006

discuss in Gristmill: Wal-Mart accused of mislabeling items as organic

Posted to alt.food.vegan

Organic food at Walmart? HA! Ridiculous.
I'm surprised they even had the nerve to try to sell "organic" food.
That's like buying caviar at the 99 cent store - you wouldn't expect it
to be anything good.
Walmart is the last place I'd trust to sell merchandise that is of
quality and integrity.
They sell shoddy CRAP!