Posted to alt.food.vegan

Default my sheepskin coat

Here's my thinking about it:

First, I bought it used. I buy as many of my clothes used as
possible, because it's better for the planet.

Next, sheepskin in particular is very very durable. It will
last many years longer than a coat made of synthetic
materials. I hope I never have to buy another one.
If you look at it in terms of mother natures resources
over all, it's better for the planet. A coat made from
synthetic materials also contributes to pollution, in the
manufacturing process, and increased waste from having
to replace this type of coat more frequently. When
discarded, it won't rot, which is also bad for the planet.

I think any type of material used for clothing has its
drawbacks one way or the other.

As for not influencing others to wear such things,
that gets to be a little co-dependent. I've noticed
the only people who even notice the coat are my
co-workers who could not afford such a thing. They
can't even afford to eat very well, generally. When
somebody admires the coat, I try to tell them about
ebay, but many of them don't have access to computers,
and wouldn't have an easy time figuring out how to use
one anyway. (I'm a student working as a night shift
security guard which gives me time to study). My middle
class friends not only don't care, they don't even notice it.
Maybe that's because sheepskin is not the flashiest
thig to wear, and that's quite ok.