Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

Default Produce Is Growing Source of Food Illness

New York Times
September 16, 2006

Produce Is Growing Source of Food Illness
By MARIAN BURROS

The outbreak of E. coli O157:H7 linked to prepackaged fresh spinach is
the latest in an increasing number of food-borne illnesses from fruits
and vegetables.

Dr. David Acheson, chief medical officer for the Center for Food
Safety and Applied Nutrition at the Food and Drug Administration, said
the evidence so far suggested that those who became ill had eaten the
spinach uncooked.

But the agency has issued a blanket warning, recommending that
consumers throw out all prepackaged fresh spinach rather than cooking
it because of the chance of cross-contamination. Health officials are
concerned that, out of the package, the bacteria could contaminate
other foods that are eaten raw.

"We have a product contaminated with an agent that shouldn't be there,
so it is necessary to get rid of it," Dr. Acheson said.

He said he was struck by the high number of adults who had developed
hemolytic uremic syndrome, a deadly complication from E. coli that can
cause kidney failure. The syndrome typically develops in children.

The United Fresh Produce Association agreed with the agency's
recommendation and has "basically shut down the entire spinach
industry," said its chief executive officer, Tom Stenzel. "We have
stopped sending further spinach and salad mixes containing fresh
spinach to market and pulled them off retail shelves."

Virtually all the spinach sold this time of year in the United States
is grown here, mostly in California.

The current outbreak follows food-borne illnesses from cucumbers,
tomatoes, lettuce, strawberries, raspberries, cantaloupes and
unpasteurized apple and orange juices over the last several years. In
2004, produce-related outbreaks surpassed those associated with beef,
poultry or fish, with 86 outbreaks, compared with 29 in 1997, when the
states started electronic reporting to the Centers for Disease Control
and Prevention.

Richard H. Linton, director of the Center for Food Safety Engineering
at Purdue University, said he was not surprised by the recent
outbreak. "In the last 20 years, the incidence of produce-related
food-borne illness has increase two and a half to three times," Dr.
Linton said.

Even though chlorine is used to sanitize bagged greens in the washing
process, it does not guarantee safety because the levels of the
chemical used are not strong enough to kill all bacteria.

Consumers can reduce their chances of eating contaminated raw fruits
and vegetables. Experts recommend the following:

- Scrub produce thoroughly under running water. But do not wash food
from packages labeled triple-washed, to prevent cross-contamination in
the home.

- Wash and dry the exterior of all fruits and vegetables, including
cantaloupe.

- Scrape skin of carrots and cucumbers.

- Prevent cross-contamination with raw meats, fish and poultry.

- Do not snack from produce displays in supermarkets.

- Young children, the elderly and those with compromised immune
systems may want to eat cooked or canned fruits and vegetables.

Caroline Smith DeWaal, director of food safety at the Center for
Science in the Public Interest, gives the F.D.A. high marks for its
early warning to consumers, something it has not done in the past.

In August and September 2003 the agency was aware of outbreaks of
hepatitis A traced to green onions in three states, but there was no
public notification. As a result, an outbreak of hepatitis A from
green onions at a Chi-Chi's restaurant in October was responsible for
650 illnesses and 4 deaths.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

America, or at least the politicians, love that cheap hispanic labor.
Stock up on toilet paper, more interesting micro critters coming.

ted

howe wrote:
> [...]
>
> - Wash and dry the exterior of all fruits and vegetables, including
> cantaloupe.
>
> - Scrape skin of carrots and cucumbers.
>
> - Prevent cross-contamination with raw meats, fish and poultry.
>
> - Do not snack from produce displays in supermarkets.
>
> - Young children, the elderly and those with compromised immune
> systems may want to eat cooked or canned fruits and vegetables.
>
> Caroline Smith DeWaal, director of food safety at the Center for
> Science in the Public Interest, gives the F.D.A. high marks for its
> early warning to consumers, something it has not done in the past.
>
> In August and September 2003 the agency was aware of outbreaks of
> hepatitis A traced to green onions in three states, but there was no
> public notification. As a result, an outbreak of hepatitis A from
> green onions at a Chi-Chi's restaurant in October was responsible for

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

"howe" > wrote in message
> New York Times
> September 16, 2006
>
> Produce Is Growing Source of Food Illness
> By MARIAN BURROS

snip

you are aware that we use human waste sludge to fertilize crops in this
country, right?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

AllEmailDeletedImmediately > wrote:
>you are aware that we use human waste sludge to fertilize crops in this
>country, right?

Why not? I mean, as long as we're electing it...

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On 16 Sep 2006 04:33:49 -0700, wrote:

>America, or at least the politicians, love that cheap hispanic labor.
>Stock up on toilet paper, more interesting micro critters coming.
>
>ted

>> Virtually all the spinach sold this time of year in the United States
>> is grown here, mostly in California.

From the very post you were top-posting your stupidity on...

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

howe wrote:
> [...]
>
> - Wash and dry the exterior of all fruits and vegetables, including
> cantaloupe.
>
> - Scrape skin of carrots and cucumbers.
>
> - Prevent cross-contamination with raw meats, fish and poultry.
>
> - Do not snack from produce displays in supermarkets.
>
> - Young children, the elderly and those with compromised immune
> systems may want to eat cooked or canned fruits and vegetables.
>
> Caroline Smith DeWaal, director of food safety at the Center for
> Science in the Public Interest, gives the F.D.A. high marks for its
> early warning to consumers, something it has not done in the past.
>
> In August and September 2003 the agency was aware of outbreaks of
> hepatitis A traced to green onions in three states, but there was no
> public notification. As a result, an outbreak of hepatitis A from
> green onions at a Chi-Chi's restaurant in October was responsible for

Popeye won't be pleased. Boop. Boop.

W ; )

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

> > Produce Is Growing Source of Food Illness
> > By MARIAN BURROS

> snip
>
> you are aware that we use human waste sludge to fertilize crops in this
> country, right?

As far as I know, here in California, it is against the law to use
human waste on food crops. Human waste can be used on ornamental crops
such as flowers or nursery plants. And it can be used on animal feed
such as hay or alfalfa. But I believe it to be illegal to use on human
food crops.

Are other states different? (I know other countries do.)

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

In article .com>,
"Ken" > wrote:

> > > Produce Is Growing Source of Food Illness
> > > By MARIAN BURROS

> > snip
> >
> > you are aware that we use human waste sludge to fertilize crops in this
> > country, right?

> As far as I know, here in California, it is against the law to use
> human waste on food crops. Human waste can be used on ornamental crops
> such as flowers or nursery plants. And it can be used on animal feed
> such as hay or alfalfa. But I believe it to be illegal to use on human
> food crops.
>
> Are other states different? (I know other countries do.)
>
> Ken

I have seen liquified human waste spread on feed corn fields in
Wisconsin. Now, there's an industry for ya.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

> wrote

> I have seen liquified human waste spread on feed corn fields in
> Wisconsin. Now, there's an industry for ya.

You've seen it? You can tell it's human by sight? (laugh)
Now that's a skill.

nancy (just busting your chops)

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

"Ken" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> > Produce Is Growing Source of Food Illness
>> > By MARIAN BURROS

>> snip
>>
>> you are aware that we use human waste sludge to fertilize crops in this
>> country, right?

> As far as I know, here in California, it is against the law to use
> human waste on food crops. Human waste can be used on ornamental crops
> such as flowers or nursery plants. And it can be used on animal feed
> such as hay or alfalfa. But I believe it to be illegal to use on human
> food crops.
>
> Are other states different? (I know other countries do.)

the waste is somehow processed/treated at the "poopy plant" (i'd guess to
kill off
all the bacteria?) and then sold as sludge, which may not be considered
human
waste at that point.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

> but what if it didn't quite process enough? could lead to the e coli
> thing.

Any evidence to support that "what if"? Biosolid processing is similar to
any other composting; raising the temp of the biosolids to a level that
kills pathogens.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

> the waste is somehow processed/treated at the "poopy plant" (i'd
> guess to kill off
> all the bacteria?) and then sold as sludge, which may not be
> considered human
> waste at that point.

Just to be clear:
Raw sewage is untreated human waste entering the waste treatment plant
Sludge is the material left over after the treatment process
Biosolids is what is left after further treating and processing sludge.
Biosolids are what are used on agricultural fields in all 50 states. Sludge
is not.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
>
>> but what if it didn't quite process enough? could lead to the e coli
>> thing.

> Any evidence to support that "what if"? Biosolid processing is similar to
> any other composting; raising the temp of the biosolids to a level that
> kills pathogens.

well perhaps the thermostat was wrong for one batch? who'd know?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
>
>> the waste is somehow processed/treated at the "poopy plant" (i'd
>> guess to kill off
>> all the bacteria?) and then sold as sludge, which may not be
>> considered human
>> waste at that point.

> Just to be clear:
> Raw sewage is untreated human waste entering the waste treatment plant
> Sludge is the material left over after the treatment process
> Biosolids is what is left after further treating and processing sludge.
> Biosolids are what are used on agricultural fields in all 50 states.
> Sludge is not.

semantics. it's still human poop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

> well perhaps the thermostat was wrong for one batch? who'd know?

And your mom might have forgotten to wash her hands after doing #2 and
handling raw chicken prior to making your peanut butter sandwich. Who'd
know?

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

> semantics. it's still human poop.

Sure, semantics. And garden compost is just garbage. And cheese is just
rotten milk. And stupidity is just perpetuated ignorance.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
>
>> semantics. it's still human poop.

> Sure, semantics. And garden compost is just garbage. And cheese is just
> rotten milk. And stupidity is just perpetuated ignorance.

vegetable compost cannot give you e. coli. i don't want my food fertilized
with any form of human waste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
>
>> well perhaps the thermostat was wrong for one batch? who'd know?

> And your mom might have forgotten to wash her hands after doing #2 and
> handling raw chicken prior to making your peanut butter sandwich. Who'd
> know?

exactly. that still doesn't mean it's okay to spread any form of human
waste
on crops.

> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

In article <AJQPg.6453$uj3.1639@trnddc08>,
"AllEmailDeletedImmediately" > wrote:

> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> > AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
> >
> >> well perhaps the thermostat was wrong for one batch? who'd know?

> > And your mom might have forgotten to wash her hands after doing #2 and
> > handling raw chicken prior to making your peanut butter sandwich. Who'd
> > know?

> exactly. that still doesn't mean it's okay to spread any form of human
> waste on crops.

Check out the website for Metrogro, the Madison, Wisconsin,
Metro Sewer System. They take the output product from the
sewer system, called "bio solids", and truck them to farms
all over Dane County for spreading on farm fields. They have
been doing this since the early 1980's that I know of, and
it doesn't seem to have created any problems that I have
heard of.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

"John A. Weeks III" > wrote in message
> In article <AJQPg.6453$uj3.1639@trnddc08>,
> "AllEmailDeletedImmediately" > wrote:

>> > And your mom might have forgotten to wash her hands after doing #2 and
>> > handling raw chicken prior to making your peanut butter sandwich. Who'd
>> > know?

>> exactly. that still doesn't mean it's okay to spread any form of human
>> waste on crops.

> Check out the website for Metrogro, the Madison, Wisconsin,
> Metro Sewer System. They take the output product from the
> sewer system, called "bio solids", and truck them to farms
> all over Dane County for spreading on farm fields. They have
> been doing this since the early 1980's that I know of, and
> it doesn't seem to have created any problems that I have
> heard of.

then perhaps we should start bio-soliding dog and cat crap. yum.

i'm not a farmer, but i come from a long line of them. here it is:

first rule: never fertilize w/ the poopy of any meat-eating animal.
second rule: always allow the poopy from vegetation-eating
animals to compost before using it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

> exactly. that still doesn't mean it's okay to spread any form of
> human waste
> on crops.

<pheeew> Right over your head. Clue: suppositions and what ifs aint science,
bubba.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

Nothing.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

> vegetable compost cannot give you e. coli.

And neither can biosolids.

> i don't want my food
> fertilized with any form of human waste.

Then don't shop at a store to get your food, 'cause every state has farms
using biosolids as part of their soil amendments.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:12:12 GMT, Peter A >
wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> > I have seen liquified human waste spread on feed corn fields in
>> > Wisconsin. Now, there's an industry for ya.

>> You've seen it? You can tell it's human by sight? (laugh)
>> Now that's a skill.
>>
>> nancy (just busting your chops)
>>

>Maybe the taste of the corn gives it away <g>.

It's the second time through that makes the difference.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

Dave Bugg wrote:
> AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
>
> > the waste is somehow processed/treated at the "poopy plant" (i'd
> > guess to kill off
> > all the bacteria?) and then sold as sludge, which may not be
> > considered human
> > waste at that point.

> Just to be clear:
> Raw sewage is untreated human waste entering the waste treatment plant
> Sludge is the material left over after the treatment process
> Biosolids is what is left after further treating and processing sludge.
> Biosolids are what are used on agricultural fields in all 50 states. Sludge
> is not.

What happens to the sludge?

Curious minds...
-bwg

> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

-bwg wrote:

> What happens to the sludge?

For waste treatment plants that don't further process the sludge into
biosolid material, they will either dump them into landfills or send it off
for incineration.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
> "howe" > wrote in message
>> New York Times
>> September 16, 2006
>>
>> Produce Is Growing Source of Food Illness
>> By MARIAN BURROS

> snip
>
> you are aware that we use human waste sludge to fertilize crops in this
> country, right?

Yes, I hear thats what they do with all the sewer sludge from the plants
that treat human waste. Or they use to. Is this still correct do you know?

Do they still use human waste to grow "organic" crops?

Rob
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
> "John A. Weeks III" > wrote in message
>> In article <AJQPg.6453$uj3.1639@trnddc08>,

>>> exactly. that still doesn't mean it's okay to spread any form of human
>>> waste on crops.

>> Check out the website for Metrogro, the Madison, Wisconsin,
>> Metro Sewer System. They take the output product from the
>> sewer system, called "bio solids", and truck them to farms
>> all over Dane County for spreading on farm fields. They have
>> been doing this since the early 1980's that I know of, and
>> it doesn't seem to have created any problems that I have
>> heard of.
>>

> then perhaps we should start bio-soliding dog and cat crap. yum.
>
> i'm not a farmer, but i come from a long line of them. here it is:
>
> first rule: never fertilize w/ the poopy of any meat-eating animal.
> second rule: always allow the poopy from vegetation-eating
> animals to compost before using it.

The above would be hard to do now. From what I understand, anamals, such
as cows, and chickens that are suppose to eat a veg based diet, are
being fed meat by-products, and processeed fecal matter as a way to
boost the protein on the food.

I wonder if all that can cause problems like we are starting to see now?

Rob
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

Dave Bugg wrote:
> AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
>
>> the waste is somehow processed/treated at the "poopy plant" (i'd
>> guess to kill off
>> all the bacteria?) and then sold as sludge, which may not be
>> considered human
>> waste at that point.

> Just to be clear:
> Raw sewage is untreated human waste entering the waste treatment plant
> Sludge is the material left over after the treatment process
> Biosolids is what is left after further treating and processing sludge.
> Biosolids are what are used on agricultural fields in all 50 states. Sludge
> is not.

Ah, that answers a question I had about it. Thanks for clearing that up,
Dave.

Rob

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.vegan,sci.med,misc.consumers

Well then, EAT SHIT and DIE !!!!!