Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Tea India

I went back to the Indian grocery store today, hoping that they'd have
Taj Mahal in the round bags back in stock, as my supply is seriously
dwindling. They did not; nor did they have my second choice Tetley
(the real thing imported from Britain). They did, however, have Tea
India which was on sale for buy one, get one free. I had never tried
it before but decided to give it a try.

I went to my mother's house for lunch and brought a box of Tea India
with me, only to find that Mom was out of milk (GRRR!!) But we brewed
a pot of Tea India, anyway, and it turned out to be a delicious cuppa
that was very strong and smooth, with just a hint of natural sweetness,
so I did not even miss the milk. I think I actually prefer it to Taj
Mahal and Lipton Yellow Label, so I think I'll be buying Tea India for
a while, until it becomes unavailable which always happens sooner or
later to products I like.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Please don't take this the wrong way. This is a commentary about me as
well.

I am amused that you folks in the "west" enjoy Assam and CTC teas. I am so
used to thinking of these as "lower grade", to be used by chaiwallas and
roadside dhabas and in the servant quarters. The upper crust would enjoy
the more expensive Darjeelings ...

So much for my biases ..
--
Aloke
----

"Pat" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I went back to the Indian grocery store today, hoping that they'd have
> Taj Mahal in the round bags back in stock, as my supply is seriously
> dwindling. They did not; nor did they have my second choice Tetley
> (the real thing imported from Britain). They did, however, have Tea
> India which was on sale for buy one, get one free. I had never tried
> it before but decided to give it a try.
>
> I went to my mother's house for lunch and brought a box of Tea India
> with me, only to find that Mom was out of milk (GRRR!!) But we brewed
> a pot of Tea India, anyway, and it turned out to be a delicious cuppa
> that was very strong and smooth, with just a hint of natural sweetness,
> so I did not even miss the milk. I think I actually prefer it to Taj
> Mahal and Lipton Yellow Label, so I think I'll be buying Tea India for
> a while, until it becomes unavailable which always happens sooner or
> later to products I like.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Aloke Prasad wrote:
> Please don't take this the wrong way. This is a commentary about me as
> well.
>
> I am amused that you folks in the "west" enjoy Assam and CTC teas. I am so
> used to thinking of these as "lower grade", to be used by chaiwallas and
> roadside dhabas and in the servant quarters. The upper crust would enjoy
> the more expensive Darjeelings ...
>
> So much for my biases ..
> --
> Aloke

You can keep your Darjeelings. I prefer a strong, dark cuppa and these
Assams and CTCs suit that need quite nicely. And the price is right,
too.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Pat" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Aloke Prasad wrote:
>> Please don't take this the wrong way. This is a commentary about me as
>> well.
>>
>> I am amused that you folks in the "west" enjoy Assam and CTC teas. I am
>> so
>> used to thinking of these as "lower grade", to be used by chaiwallas and
>> roadside dhabas and in the servant quarters. The upper crust would enjoy
>> the more expensive Darjeelings ...
>>
>> So much for my biases ..
>> --
>> Aloke

> You can keep your Darjeelings. I prefer a strong, dark cuppa and these
> Assams and CTCs suit that need quite nicely. And the price is right,
> too.

You are correct. I need to start on some strong Assams and Ceylon teas.
Luckily, there's always lots of Lipton Red label in the house.
--
Aloke
----

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Aloke Prasad wrote:

> > You can keep your Darjeelings. I prefer a strong, dark cuppa and these
> > Assams and CTCs suit that need quite nicely. And the price is right,
> > too.

> You are correct. I need to start on some strong Assams and Ceylon teas.
> Luckily, there's always lots of Lipton Red label in the house.

When my girlfriend and I tried our newly-purchased Ceylon leaves
(Ceylon Battalgalla OP, FWIW) for the first time, our collective first
reaction was "It's just like Lipton!" Our second response was "But so
much better!"

Good breakfast tea. Still has an enjoyable taste a long time after
finishing the cup.

Gavin

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Tea India is typical of the "kalami" full-leaf assam teas. It's not fancy
tea.. it's not picked in flushes but just picked all year long. But to be
honest, all of these are very nice teas. Sharzad, Tea India, Gulabi are
typical other brands. They all have a nice nose to them, but nothing too
fragrant, and they all make a pleasant cup.

I'd take this stuff over any of the CTC teas for everyday drinking. But
that's just me.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Gavin > wrote:

>When my girlfriend and I tried our newly-purchased Ceylon leaves
>(Ceylon Battalgalla OP, FWIW) for the first time, our collective first
>reaction was "It's just like Lipton!" Our second response was "But so
>much better!"

Pretty much all of the Uva-grown Ceylon teas seem like that. It's a very
familiar flavour, but the good ones are better than the crappy ones. And
they make excellent iced tea.

The lower altitude Ceylon teas are more interesting in my opinion. They
are more mellow and less robust, and are better for drinking hot without
milk. I think the real tea flavour comes through better that way, but
that's just me.

>Good breakfast tea. Still has an enjoyable taste a long time after
>finishing the cup.

This is the way tea should be.
--scott

indiavital – India Ancient History Travel india–Indian Recipes-Indian States rohini swamy General Cooking 0 31-05-2012 12:13 PM
microbrews in India? John Smith[_3_] Beer 0 25-08-2009 02:36 AM
China or India? britta Tea 23 16-02-2008 11:33 AM
Portrait Of India: Indian People, Indian Movies, Indian Recipes,India Festivals 88059355 General Cooking 0 20-01-2008 12:55 PM
TJ's India Relish rmg General Cooking 0 27-06-2005 11:24 AM