Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Caffeine

I like to drink tea in the evenings to relax. I've never had a problem
with caffeine keeping me awake until recently. I'm sleeping much more
soundly since I started drinking decaf in the evenings, but of course
it does not taste as good. I tried decaffeinating some regular tea bags
by letting them steep in boiling water for 30 seconds, pouring away the
water and refilling the tea pot. The one time I tried this I was awake
all night.

I've heard that tea bags release more caffeine than loose tea. Does
anyone know what the difference in caffeine levels is between a tea bag
vs. a CTC loose tea? Or the difference between a CTC tea and a BOP tea?
I'm hoping to find some sort of regular tea that I can lower the
caffeine amount enough so I can still get a good night's rest.

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a reallygood decaffeinated black
tea? (I don't drink green tea.) Hopefully one that doesn't taste like
decaf (though that is probably wishful thinking on my part)? I have
been drinking decaffeinated versions of Twinings English Breakfast,
Earl Grey and Lady Grey. They are better than most decafs I have tried
but I still miss my flavorful mug of Taj Mahal in the evenings.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I switch my late evening cup to a rooibus with no caffeine- my favorite
is flavored with chocolate and mint. Toci
Rob wrote:
> I like to drink tea in the evenings to relax. I've never had a problem
> with caffeine keeping me awake until recently. I'm sleeping much more
> soundly since I started drinking decaf in the evenings, but of course
> it does not taste as good. I tried decaffeinating some regular tea bags
> by letting them steep in boiling water for 30 seconds, pouring away the
> water and refilling the tea pot. The one time I tried this I was awake
> all night.
>
> I've heard that tea bags release more caffeine than loose tea. Does
> anyone know what the difference in caffeine levels is between a tea bag
> vs. a CTC loose tea? Or the difference between a CTC tea and a BOP tea?
> I'm hoping to find some sort of regular tea that I can lower the
> caffeine amount enough so I can still get a good night's rest.
>
> Alternatively, can anyone suggest a reallygood decaffeinated black
> tea? (I don't drink green tea.) Hopefully one that doesn't taste like
> decaf (though that is probably wishful thinking on my part)? I have
> been drinking decaffeinated versions of Twinings English Breakfast,
> Earl Grey and Lady Grey. They are better than most decafs I have tried
> but I still miss my flavorful mug of Taj Mahal in the evenings.
>
> Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Rob" > wrote:

> I've heard that tea bags release more caffeine than loose tea. Does
> anyone know what the difference in caffeine levels is between a tea bag
> vs. a CTC loose tea? Or the difference between a CTC tea and a BOP tea?
> I'm hoping to find some sort of regular tea that I can lower the
> caffeine amount enough so I can still get a good night's rest.

I don't have any numbers, but it would stand to reason that a tea
that was made up of very fine particles, like most bags, would release
caffeine faster into the water. The caffeine in tea leaves is more
concentrated in small leaves and tips, so some people drink large
leaf teas, like lapsang souchong (a smoky black) or oolong in
the evening in part to keep caffeine limited.

> Alternatively, can anyone suggest a reallygood decaffeinated black
> tea? (I don't drink green tea.) Hopefully one that doesn't taste like
> decaf (though that is probably wishful thinking on my part)? I have
> been drinking decaffeinated versions of Twinings English Breakfast,
> Earl Grey and Lady Grey. They are better than most decafs I have tried
> but I still miss my flavorful mug of Taj Mahal in the evenings.

I buy most of my tea from Upton, and they have about 10 decaf
blacks. I've had maybe 4 or 5 of them, and they are pretty good.
No, not as good as the better regular teas, but decent all the same.
http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/cat...&categoryID=47

--
Randy

Caffeine and someone who should know better Alan Tea 16 04-03-2008 08:27 AM
Low Caffeine Tea Alan Petrillo Tea 17 22-06-2007 09:10 AM
Tea and caffeine LurfysMa Tea 10 17-04-2007 08:36 PM
Low caffeine _D Tea 2 27-03-2006 01:35 AM
How much caffeine in Pu-er? Robert Dunbar Tea 16 01-11-2004 02:02 PM