Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Tea Drinking At Work: The Milk Dilemma

I recently switched jobs. The faciities at my new office are
inadequate, to say the least, for tea making. I have a Sunbeam Hotshot
and bring in my own tea bags. The problem I'm having now is there is
no refrigerator to keep milk. I've been buying a half pint of milk
each day and keeping it at my desk. I throw out the unused portion at
the end of the day. I'm throwing out more than I'm using and feel
guilty about the waste. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
I don't like half-and-half or powdered creamers.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Piculet wrote:
> I recently switched jobs. The faciities at my new office are
> inadequate, to say the least, for tea making. I have a Sunbeam Hotshot
> and bring in my own tea bags. The problem I'm having now is there is
> no refrigerator to keep milk. I've been buying a half pint of milk
> each day and keeping it at my desk. I throw out the unused portion at
> the end of the day. I'm throwing out more than I'm using and feel
> guilty about the waste. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
> I don't like half-and-half or powdered creamers.
>
> Thanks.

A lot of people in my office have mini-fridges, which do the job but
tend to blow fuses.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

You don't like powdered creamers, but what about powdered milk?
Marlene

"Piculet" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I recently switched jobs. The faciities at my new office are
> inadequate, to say the least, for tea making. I have a Sunbeam Hotshot
> and bring in my own tea bags. The problem I'm having now is there is
> no refrigerator to keep milk. I've been buying a half pint of milk
> each day and keeping it at my desk. I throw out the unused portion at
> the end of the day. I'm throwing out more than I'm using and feel
> guilty about the waste. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
> I don't like half-and-half or powdered creamers.
>
> Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

If I could find UHT milk in little containers like the half-and-half
that is sold for coffee, I would try them, but I haven't seen them
anywhere. I won't go through a whole 8-oz box in a single day.

As for the powdered milk, I've only seen nonfat milk in powdered form.
I use 1% in my tea.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Buy or borrow a two ounce Tupperware "tup". Fill with Milk, put a
string in the milk before you put on the lid. Lower the container
into a pint sized widemouth Thermos jug half full of ice. add a bit
more ice,lead string out of jug before putting on the lid. Take to
work. milk stays cold at least half a day, and you only have two
ounces so none is wasted.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
acw acw is offline

Kitty wrote:
> Buy or borrow a two ounce Tupperware "tup". Fill with Milk, put a
> string in the milk before you put on the lid. Lower the container
> into a pint sized widemouth Thermos jug half full of ice. add a bit
> more ice,lead string out of jug before putting on the lid. Take to
> work. milk stays cold at least half a day, and you only have two
> ounces so none is wasted.

Are you in an air conditioned office ? My experience is that 2 oz or so
of 1% milk, in a reused plastic water bottle, taken from the fridge in
the morning, kept mostly in an air conditioned office all day, is still
fresh by late afternoon, without ice, external water, or access to a
fridge at work. This even on days when I have meetings in three or four
different buildings, and so carry the bottle with me (on the side of the
backpack which also carries my laptop) around between buildings and up
and down stairs.

Anne
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Thank you all. I'm going to try and find a suitable container to bring
some milk from home and see how it goes.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

You could also try keeping that "suitable container" cool in one of
those small, personal coolers that have a chill-pak insert.

Denise
Great Tearooms of America - a premier online tearoom directory
http://www.GreatTearoomsOfAmerica.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

maybe you can find this small plastic individual boxes [don't know how
to call them] are used in planes to serve with tea of coffee on board.
i saw them also in some hotels for breakfast. i never used them but
maybe is something you can use. maybe will be difficult to find, and
maybe more expensive, don't know

about uht milk [one litre], i used it in my grandparents house, where
there is not fridge yet, and i could use it in good conditions two days
after it was opened, three days in total; the house, let's say, is not
too much warm, although it was summer, but cool [can't say the
temperature... maybe a bit below 20ºC]

regards from madrid,
bonifacio barrio hijosa
http://worldoftea.webcindario.com/