Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Teapots spout dripping.

Is there a way to stop the tea from dripping of the teapot spout after
serving?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

In article >,
> wrote:
>
> Is there a way to stop the tea from dripping of the teapot spout after
>serving?

Yes. Get a spout of a different shape.

The issue is that there is a fight between the cohesion of the water
molecules to hold together in a drop, versus their adhesion to the
surface of the spout. A well-designed spout will let the last bit
of water to fall off as a droplet rather than clinging and rolling
down the end of the spout.

Placing a groove under the spout end helps. Smooth finishes are better
than rough ones, and sometimes a rough one can be okay if enough stain
builds up on it to smooth the surface out a bit. Narrowing the end to
increase the rate of flow at the tip also can help.

I think there was actually an article in Scientific American on the subject
in the late sixties, comparing different shapes and with math models of
flow.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I know that this is going to sound strange, but if you smear a little
butter under the tip of the spout, it should catch the drips.
Alternatively, "drip catchers" such as the one shown here work very
well:

http://www.jollygoodtea.com/ProdImag...earlscourt.jpg

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> wrote in message
>

> Is there a way to stop the tea from dripping of the teapot spout after
> serving?

Yes, I use this little gadget for spouts that aren't shaped properly:

http://www.culinaryteas.com/Tea_Accessories/1384.html.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Bluesea wrote:
> Yes, I use this little gadget for spouts that aren't shaped properly:
>
> http://www.culinaryteas.com/Tea_Accessories/1384.html.

It's a paperclip.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Speculum.

Jim

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Bluesea wrote:
> > Yes, I use this little gadget for spouts that aren't shaped properly:
> >
> > http://www.culinaryteas.com/Tea_Accessories/1384.html.

> It's a paperclip.
>
> --Blair

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

And a damned small one too

Marlene

> Speculum.
>
> Jim
>
> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>> Bluesea wrote:
>> > Yes, I use this little gadget for spouts that aren't shaped properly:
>> >
>> > http://www.culinaryteas.com/Tea_Accessories/1384.html.

>> It's a paperclip.
>>
>> --Blair

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

My wife says even the small ones are too big.

Jim

Marlene Wood wrote:
> And a damned small one too
>
> Marlene
>

> > Speculum.
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> >> It's a paperclip.
> >>
> >> --Blair

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I appreciate all the information on this tread concerning spout dripping and
thank you all.
I still want to keep this teapot because its a gift. However, I am shopping
for a new teapot and this time I'll try it before I buy it.

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My wife says even the small ones are too big.
>
> Jim
>
> Marlene Wood wrote:
>> And a damned small one too
>>
>> Marlene
>>

>> > Speculum.
>> >
>> > Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Space Cowboy wrote:
> Speculum.

Hey, now, there's no call to go all ad-hominem on me...

--Blair

Wine barrel spout cover Ben[_10_] Winemaking 0 09-08-2008 08:30 PM
Clogged Spout Mal from Oz[_1_] Tea 6 20-04-2007 02:17 AM
Wine spout to preserve oxygen free environemnt??? [email protected] Wine 5 07-11-2006 12:58 AM
wax dripping from candles Joyce Butler General Cooking 6 14-07-2004 05:19 AM
how to steam without dripping water into food? peter General Cooking 9 16-04-2004 12:08 PM