Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default lipton green tea

Hello

I am concerned about Lipton's Green Tea product.

It sells a pack of 25 bags for 1$

What does that make of its quality and the green tea benefits usually
present in higher qualities teas?

Regards,
Elias

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

While I don't care for lipton green label or yellow label, I can still
drink it when I have to. otoh, Lipton green tea is evil. don't drink
that. (jmo, of course)
Concerning green tea benefits, I'd guess the fresher the tea the better
it is, hence tea dust in a bag is definitively not the way to go; buy
some loose tea instead.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> wrote:
>I am concerned about Lipton's Green Tea product.
>
>It sells a pack of 25 bags for 1$
>
>What does that make of its quality and the green tea benefits usually
>present in higher qualities teas?

Well, it doesn't taste very good. Taste is the only benefit of green
tea that I know of, and by that standard, Lipton's green gets a thumbs
down.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am concerned about Lipton's Green Tea product.
>
> It sells a pack of 25 bags for 1$
>
> What does that make of its quality and the green tea benefits usually
> present in higher qualities teas?
>
> Regards,
> Elias

I would decide on what you are looking for out of your green tea. If
health benefits are the main concern, then you will most likely require
a fresh green tea or at least a full leaf varietal. I would actually
suggest using a green tea extract to some extent, but I am not a big
vitamin/extract pill person since your body needs to be working pretty
efficiently to break down the pill and absorb it. A liquid extract may
be the best option there.

I drink a ton of green tea, jasmine/dragonwell/sencha/kukicha and I
would expect that my constant intake helps me absorb the small amounts
of benefits present in the varying quality teas but over many doses. To
just drink 25 cups and expect a noticeable benefit would not happen
even with a very high quality green.

Most natural substances, especially when they are new and being
introduced to your body, take time to work. Like ginseng, you need to
take a fair bt of ginseng over time before it begins to have any real
effect and your body begins to properly process it. The potency is
variable from none to a small amount in natural substances for the most
part, and things like narcotics/prescription drugs/alcohol need to be
distilled and concentrated before they can give instant effects. Tea is
not very concentrated, extracts are... which is why I suggested a
liquid extract.

I actually take in a number of things like pomegranate juice,
blueberries, acai, tea, etc. mainly because I enjoy them, but they are
all high in antioxidants and any secondary benefits I receive are just
icing on the cake. Tea is healthier than coffee/soda/beer no matter how
you swing it, so at the very least it is beneficial to drink any and
all the tea you can... wether it be a lipton green tea bag or a high
quality fresh dragonwell. Just don't expect instant results and you'll
do fine.

- Dominic
Drinking: Pu-Erh Maidan

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

BabyJane Hudson wrote:
> I came home and made a cup and let it steep for about 4 minutes. It
> still had a light color to it, but actually was very good to this tea
> newbie. And as I have said before, if I like this cheap stuff, what am
> I going to experience when I get the good loose leaf tea from Uptons
> or another online store? Delicious anticipation...
>
> I have lost all interest in coffee now. I am really enjoying this and
> look forward to having tea several times a day.
>
> Jane Hudson

As much as I can appreciate a high-end tea, I really tend to stay in a
mid-range except for a few exceptions here and there. And even when I
have $99/lb. Jasmine pearls, I sometimes crave a cup of $1.79/200g
jasmine tea in the yellow tin. There is a large difference for sure,
but I'm not too proud to still enjoy a basic teabag every now and then.

It isn't so much that there is anything *wrong* with the Liptons, and
in fact it is very consistent which is a feat in itself... it is just
that you can really appreciate and taste the major difference when you
start to branch out and try some new teas. It is actually nice to have
that base level to compare against.

As with anything you'd get tired of drinking nothing but 40 year old
bordeaux every day, and sometimes you just want some plain old grape
kool-aid... same with tea.

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

>I came home and made a cup and let it steep for about 4 minutes. It
>still had a light color to it, but actually was very good to this tea
>newbie. And as I have said before, if I like this cheap stuff, what am
>I going to experience when I get the good loose leaf tea from Uptons
>or another online store? Delicious anticipation...

Best way to start in tea in my view is from the bottom where you have
nowhere to go but up in tea! Too often I have seen people jump right
into tea at the deep end of the pool and were left with too many
disappointments. Part of the joy of tea is the anticipation from year
to year of the new harvest! So you rightly already understand "tea
anticipation"!

>As with anything you'd get tired of drinking nothing but 40 year old
>bordeaux every day, and sometimes you just want some plain old grape
>kool-aid... same with tea.

- Dominic

Must respectfully disagree here on this point Dominic! Decade upon
decade of harsh bidding, clawing and fighting to get the best spring
harvest of West Lake Long Jing from a speficic grower and consuming
same said year after year has left me only wanting more and with this
years price over $1,000USD a kg it's become a terribly expensive habit
but one I have yet to grow tired of drinking! I have a similar pu'erh
addiction and believe me that is another area that after decades I have
yet to even feel a tinge of boredom!

Now as to the question in this string about Lipton's green tea.

> isn't so much that there is anything *wrong* with the Liptons, and
>in fact it is very consistent which is a feat in itself..

Dominic is quite correct! It is a major feat to produce consistent tea
in such a vast tonnage as Lipton does. This is what mass manufacturers
like Lipton are famous for, blending tea to produce the same consistent
taste. May not be the best taste and may not be to everyone's liking
but nonetheless it is a constant in the market of tea.

As for the health benefits of Lipton's green tea versus others I point
to several studies by the AMA, Johns Hopkins and others. These mass
studies were done using similar "lowly" green teas such as Lipton's
uses and not the "premium" green teas preferred by the likes of me.
These studies indicate that green tea health benefits can be derived
not just from green tea but equally from red (black) teas. It is my
limited opinion that even Lipton's green will provide similar health
benefits as mentioned in these studies. And perhaps because of Lipton's
consistency the health benefits would be as consistent?

But the question here should be do I drink it because of the health
benefits or because I like it? The tea I drink is the tea I like and I
drink it for the enjoyment. If it has health benefits that is a bonus
but certainly not why I drink tea!

Castor Oil has been proven to have great health benefits but trust me
not since I was little and forced to drink it every Saturday morning by
grandmom has castor oil passed my lips!

Allen Miller

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

humantenacity wrote:
> Must respectfully disagree here on this point Dominic! Decade upon
> decade of harsh bidding, clawing and fighting to get the best spring
> harvest of West Lake Long Jing from a speficic grower and consuming
> same said year after year has left me only wanting more and with this
> years price over $1,000USD a kg it's become a terribly expensive habit
> but one I have yet to grow tired of drinking! I have a similar pu'erh
> addiction and believe me that is another area that after decades I have
> yet to even feel a tinge of boredom!

Hey no offense taken, but I think my point is still valid. Sometimes
you don't *want* to hunt for subtle nuances, sometimes you don't have
the time to properly enjoy it, sometimes you just want plain and
normal. At least I do. I would doubt that the only tea to cross your
lips for decade after decade was purely West Lake Long Jing... c'mon,
fess up

Variety is fine, it is normal, and generally the "low-end" product is
created for mass appeal... it is not so much that it is low-end but
just lacking certain characteristics that would not be universally
appreciated.

> As for the health benefits of Lipton's green tea versus others I point
> to several studies by the AMA, Johns Hopkins and others. These mass
> studies were done using similar "lowly" green teas such as Lipton's
> uses and not the "premium" green teas preferred by the likes of me.

Exactly correct. Freshness will undoubtedly increase the potency, but
in something like tea it is a minor issue. As I stated with things like
this, it is prolonged small doses that add up to offer some benefit. It
is not a one week regimine that will turn things around. A long time
tea drinker of say 10 years, will no doubt have gained some benefit. I
know that I do not get sick as much and I would attribute some of that
to tea, also just the plain benefit of drinking so much tea increases
my water intake daily that I otherwise would not do and it is better
for me than coffee or soda in a number of ways.

I still say that liquid extracts (still over a long time frame) are the
best way if you are purely trying for the health benefits. Starting
with an unhealthy body will decrese the amount of benefit is actually
absorbed in any substance, absorbing 5% of standard tea benefits from a
regular cup or 5% from a concentrated extract is no comparison.

I think it was Space Cowboy who said that he didn't dwell on the health
benefits of the tea he drinks, if it keeps him alive one day longer...
then great it was a bonus. (I paraphrased of course, but I liked the
essence of the comment)

- Dominic
Drinking: PG Tips w/Honey

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea,rec.sport.pro-wrestling

Kevin wrote:
> While I don't care for lipton green label or yellow label, I can still
> drink it when I have to. otoh, Lipton green tea is evil. don't drink
> that. (jmo, of course)
> Concerning green tea benefits, I'd guess the fresher the tea the better
> it is, hence tea dust in a bag is definitively not the way to go; buy
> some loose tea instead.

Mark Oooooooooooooooout!

--
http://www.myspace.com/araxen

TATA or Lipton Green Label DJ? Dominic T. Tea 20 28-03-2006 03:47 PM
Has anyone tried Lipton tea lately? Rob Tea 25 08-02-2006 06:35 AM
Lipton Tea/Foam xyz Tea 35 24-11-2004 01:39 AM
Lipton Ice Te RB Watts Tea 1 23-07-2004 09:23 PM
Lipton's Tea Leif Thorvaldson Tea 16 04-02-2004 03:04 AM