Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Seen a slight change

Have noticed a slight change in the outlook and functioning of google
groups. Though not tea question - how do you find it?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

What the hell is 'not rated' and 'this person has not created a
profile'. I like the simpler From Date. There was too much header
information before. If you're curious use Show Options. I don't like
the automatic year and month rollups. Before you had to do it
yourself.

Jim

STJones wrote:
> Have noticed a slight change in the outlook and functioning of google
> groups. Though not tea question - how do you find it?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I don't care for it. it's now difficult to tell where new posts and
replies are. Also, I've never found rating systems to be particularly
useful for email or newsgroups.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Not aware of where this rating stars came from and all the other
gizmos. I am surprised too.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

In article .com>,
STJones > wrote
>And Space Cowboy, to inform you, its my decision to create my profile
>or not. Don't tell me what to do? It was just a question about the new
>things added to the group and there is nothing to get upset about. I
>was aware of people like you exists in this world, but you have really
>proved it.
>
>Friends is there anything wrong with my topic or question??? TO ALL.

Only that half the world accesses Usenet newsgroups via news servers and
news client applications, not via Google, so your question will be
meaningless to them.

(Newsgroups were around long before Google, and they don't own or
control them, they just bought the old Deja News archive and extended
it.)

--
Richard Herring >

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

STJones > wrote:
>Have noticed a slight change in the outlook and functioning of google
>groups. Though not tea question - how do you find it?

I find it basically so slow as to be almost unusable. Google has been
going downhill ever since they took over the dejanews archives, and the
"new format" they put in five or six years back is still as much of a
disaster as it always was. Get a real newsreader and stop waiting for
Google.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Richard Herring wrote:

> In article .com>,
> STJones > wrote
>>And Space Cowboy, to inform you, its my decision to create my profile
>>or not. Don't tell me what to do? It was just a question about the new
>>things added to the group and there is nothing to get upset about. I
>>was aware of people like you exists in this world, but you have really
>>proved it.
>>
>>Friends is there anything wrong with my topic or question??? TO ALL.
>>

> Only that half the world accesses Usenet newsgroups via news servers and
> news client applications, not via Google, so your question will be
> meaningless to them.

I think, it's even more than half the world. If one is using
newsgroups on a regular basis, a newsreader is essential. Not to mention
dial-up. The Google interface might come in handy, when you're limited to
http-access on trips.

Nils
--
It's very easy to opt out. And yes, doing so really will allow you to
opt out. We aren't just saying that so that we can put on the facade
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

In article >, Nils Lahmann
> wrote
>Richard Herring wrote:
>
>> In article .com>,
>> STJones > wrote
>>>And Space Cowboy, to inform you, its my decision to create my profile
>>>or not. Don't tell me what to do? It was just a question about the new
>>>things added to the group and there is nothing to get upset about. I
>>>was aware of people like you exists in this world, but you have really
>>>proved it.
>>>
>>>Friends is there anything wrong with my topic or question??? TO ALL.
>>>

>> Only that half the world accesses Usenet newsgroups via news servers and
>> news client applications, not via Google, so your question will be
>> meaningless to them.

>I think, it's even more than half the world.

That was a statistician's "a priori" 50% ;-)

> If one is using
>newsgroups on a regular basis, a newsreader is essential. Not to mention
>dial-up. The Google interface might come in handy, when you're limited to
>http-access on trips.

It's handy for searching.

Just to keep on topic - any suggestions for a UK supplier of good
sencha?

--
Richard Herring >
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hate the ratings. Pointless. Far too sparse, not visible to 99.99% of
the net's participants, ripe for abuse, and doubtless costing
performance.

And yet they ignore requests for useful changes.

--Blair