Old 22-01-2006, 07:10 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Melinda

Default Twinings UK vs. Twinings USA - is it just me?

"Pat" wrote in message
oups.com...

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

And the product lines are different. The American line has more
varieties. From what I saw, the British line is more limited, with
just an "Everyday tea", a "1706", and an "African" blend, plus a number
of greens and tisanes.

The British line is much more extensive than that. Aside from the new
(and very good) Every Day Tea, 1706 (also very good) and the African
blend you mentioned, the British line consists of:

English Breakfast
Assam
Traditional Afternoon
Ceylon
Chai
Keemun
Yunnan
Darjeeling
Lapsang Souchong
Earl Grey
Lady Grey
Organic English Breakfast
Organic Earl Grey
Decaffienated Earl Grey
Decaffienated Traditional English

plus the "Twinings &" line which is black tea with fruit flavors, as
well as a fairly extensive line of green teas and herbal tisanes.

To answer Melinda's question in a nutshell: the Twinings teas sold for
the UK market are in back boxes with a gold-embossed Twinings logo,
whereas their export teas are generally in the plain colored boxes we
typically see in US supermarkets.

Wow, then I really have not run into the import Twinings in any
stores...I'll keep my eyes out for it though. Thanks for the help.

Melinda

Old 22-01-2006, 10:38 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
danube

I don't know why;
perhaps they believe American tastes are different, or perhaps they really
are foisting cheaper teas off on us.
--scott

Now where did I hear that before? Are Mohawks doing the packaging?
Old 26-01-2006, 12:24 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
mlbriggs

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:17:10 -0800, Pat wrote:

mlbriggs wrote:

Over 20 years ago, I thought Twinings Earl Grey had a wonderful flavor.
Now what I get seems bland and lemony. The true bergamot flavor just
isn't there. MLB

I know what you mean. I grew up drinking Lipton and discovered
Twinings when I was in college and thought it had to be the best tea in
the world. I loved the Ceylon Orange Pekoe but I don't really like it
at all anymore. And I agree that their British blends are better than
their American ones.

I don't think the products change so much as our taste does. When
Lipton was my reference point, the Twinings I got in the supermarket
was superb. But now that I've tried other teas, it doesn't excite me
so much anymore.

I used to occasionally treat myself to some British teas - like
Twinings, PG Tips, Typhoo - and save them for weekends or special
occasions - and drink teas like Red Rose or the US Twinings for "every
day". It didn't really bother me to switch back and forth and there
didn't seem to be a huge difference. But then I found some good online
deals for some of the British teas - and began buying it by the case.
I started drinking it every day because it would have hung around way
too long otherwise. And after a steady diet of nothing but British
teas for several months, I found it impossible to go back to my old
stand-bys. I now know how the Brits feel when they come here are
disappointed in our tea. I have found that Tetley British Blend will
do in a pinch when I can't get the "real thing", but most of the time I
just buy tea from ethnic markets and from online sources.

Would you share your on line sources? I'd love to find some really tasty
Earl Gray. The Red Rose tea I find at Albertsons is, in my opinion,
tastier than Twinings. I'll admit to aging tastebuds, but would still
like to try to find something I really enjoy. MLB

Old 26-01-2006, 05:53 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Pat

mlbriggs wrote:

Would you share your on line sources? I'd love to find some really tasty
Earl Gray. The Red Rose tea I find at Albertsons is, in my opinion,
tastier than Twinings. I'll admit to aging tastebuds, but would still
like to try to find something I really enjoy. MLB

The best prices I've found are at: www.britishtea.com. They've got an
extensive selection of teas from Great Britain and Ireland. I used to
drink Red Rose all the time, but I sort of lost my taste for it after I
started drinking the British teas on a regular basis. I find now that
I don't like anything that comes in an American-style string and tag
tea bag. There just isn't enough tea in them. I have to have the
Britsh style bags, which all have 2.5 to 3 grams per bag, vs 2 grams in
the US style.

Britishtea.com has the UK Twinings selections. I like their Earl Grey,
but there are plenty of other brands to choose from as well.

Old 26-01-2006, 08:28 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
mlbriggs

mlbriggs wrote:

[...]

Thank you. I shall try it. MLB

Old 31-01-2006, 02:11 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I don't know why, but there is a definite difference between US and UK
Twinings. I won't touch the US stuff. Although I do have a "source"
in London, my state-side source is:

http://www.baltcoffee.com/catalog/index.php

Baltimore Coffee and Tea has a diverse selection of teas. It's worth
checking out.

Louise

--stuff snipped--

Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piculet View Post
I visited the Twinings shop in the Strand this past summer and stocked
up on tea to bring back home to the States with me. There seems to be
a much more extensive selection of Twinings blends available in the UK
than what we get here, but there were also the familiar popular
favorites such as English Breakfast and Earl Grey.

I have been a happy Twinings customer many years. I was surprised when
I got home to find that the tea I had purchased in London tasted much
different than the Twinings I was used to getting here in America. The
British version seemed to have a much richer flavor, but I thought at
first it might just be my imagination.

Therefore, I decided to do a taste test. I ordered some of the US
Twinings English Breakfast tea bags from their website, figuring that
it would be fresher coming directly from Twinings rather than from the
supermarket. I made two 20 oz. pots of tea. The first pot contained
the British tea, using two tea bags. The second pot contained three US
tea bags (because there is less tea per bag in the US version). I
figured that would allow for any differences in strength.

I concluded that the British version is much better than its US
counterpart - which I cannot understand, because although the US tea is
packed in North Carolina, it is, according to the label, blended in
London. Therefore, Twinings English Breakfast should be the same
throughout the world, except perhaps for the packaging, right? But I
am more convinced than ever that these are two different blends of tea.

I also tried the same experiment with Twinings Earl Grey, and while the
difference is less prounounced, there IS still a difference. As a
result, I seem to have lost my taste for Twinings' US offerings and
when my supply runs out will probably only purchase the imported
versions online.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I just crazy??
I thought the same thing - I just came back from Europe and got some Twinnings Earl Grey tea. had one today and mentioned to the woman I work with that it taste so good didn't even taste like the US Earl Gray. Will also me buying online. thanks for the tip
Old 01-03-2019, 02:54 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

replying to Piculet, Alexandra Brunel wrote:
piculet32 wrote:

[...]

You're not crazy!! I lived in the UK for years and find that the US Twinings
Earl Grey teabags make a pot that tastes of paper. DISGUSTING!!! And the loose
tea blend is only so-so. I'm having to shop about to find something decent.

Tinned Twinings [email protected] Tea 13 17-09-2007 06:02 PM
Twinings Darjeeling Melinda Tea 6 22-02-2005 02:29 AM
Twinings Tins Henry Tea 8 19-02-2004 05:42 PM
Twinings R R Tea 7 20-12-2003 05:22 PM
Twinings R R Tea 2 03-12-2003 06:34 AM