Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Pat

Default "Supermarket" Teas

Since we've had some discussions on supermarket teas today, I was
wondering what supermarket brands, if any, people in this group drink.
I have tried and liked Red Rose and Salada. Red Rose used to be my
favorite every day tea, but lately I've lost my taste for it. It seems
too weak to me now, and it just can't compete with PG Tips or the
Canadian version of Red Rose.

Tetley British Blend is my current favorite of the supermarket teas.
This is what I now drink at work. It has more tea per bag, so it makes
a stronger brew, yet is not too strong to brew in the mug - unlike the
Tetley sold in the UK and other British brands which ARE too strong for
in-the-mug brewing, IMO.

I used to not like Tetley's regular blend, but since they replaced the
Original Blend with the Classic Blend, I think it is quite good, but
still not quite strong enough for my taste.

Any of these teas will do in a pinch. I do NOT like Lipton or Bigelow.

BTW, has anyone seen the new Snapple teabags that are now on
supermarket shelves? They are made by Redco Foods, which sells Red
Rose and Salada in the US. They seem to be mostly fruit-flavored, so I
am not terribly interested in trying them. Has anyone else tried them?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Blair P. Houghton

I've totally given up on supermarket tea. I won't even buy tea at the
Asian megamart, because it all looks like low-grade stuff (I've tried a
few and haven't been at all impressed).

The good tea I order off the net is much, much, much tastier, not that
expensive, and I can always order more when I'm down to my last
quarter-pound (which is about two weeks' supply these days, probably
going to be less when the weather warms up).

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Justin Holmes

I have been happy enough with Twinings in the past, but it is no
cheaper than the less exotic blends from Upton, or many of the bulk
blends at my local CO-OP. I drink a fair amount of CTC Assam from the
Co-Op and it is under 13 bucks a pound in bulk. I want to say the
twinings I have bought in the past was more like 6 bucks for around 125
grams.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Knack

Earlier this month the cheapest green tea sold in a huge A&P supermarket in
Cliffwood, NJ (USA) was not Lipton, Tetley, or Red Rose, but goes under the
brand name 'Asian Gourmet', which is imported by H.L. Benndorf Corp. of
Medford, New Jersey.

I've tried numerous green and "white" teas, including several of the fancy
brands such as Choice, Numi, Tao, and Republic of Tea... but none of the
fancy brands I've tried have a green/white tea anywhere near as aromatic as
that cheap Asian Gourmet (AG) green tea. AG stands alone in that regard; so
much so that its aroma is immediately noticable simply by sniffing the dry
bag, and I have a terribly weak sense of smell!

However, curiously the AG green tea's color was an unremarkable pale yellow
and its flavor was not significantly different from aromaless Twinnings Pure
& Natural Green Tea, which was the next lowest priced green tea available at
the above mentioned store that day.

I compared both teas by first microwave heating identicle glass mugs of
charcoal filtered water to about 185F (85C). When the water in each mug
cooled down to exactly 180F (82C) I began steeping a bag in it. The mugs
were covered with cork coasters to minimize heat loss. Steeping time was
exactly 10 minutes.

Certainly I always get stronger tasting green/white teas from the premium
brands. However, I've observed that I can get a heck of a lot more "bang for
my buck" (for you Brits, buck=US$) by buying certain low cost brands. I can
always add extra teabags of the cheap tea to the brew and still come out
ahead both flavorwise and moneywise.

I can buy a 100-quantity box of TenRen green tea bags (that are individually
well sealed) at Costco for only US$6. Some Costco stores carry nicely
painted 120-quantity steel canisters of Twinnings Earl Grey bags for only
US$6. These are amazing values.

"Pat" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Since we've had some discussions on supermarket teas today, I was
> wondering what supermarket brands, if any, people in this group drink.
> I have tried and liked Red Rose and Salada. Red Rose used to be my
> favorite every day tea, but lately I've lost my taste for it. It seems
> too weak to me now, and it just can't compete with PG Tips or the
> Canadian version of Red Rose.
>
> Tetley British Blend is my current favorite of the supermarket teas.
> This is what I now drink at work. It has more tea per bag, so it makes
> a stronger brew, yet is not too strong to brew in the mug - unlike the
> Tetley sold in the UK and other British brands which ARE too strong for
> in-the-mug brewing, IMO.
>
> I used to not like Tetley's regular blend, but since they replaced the
> Original Blend with the Classic Blend, I think it is quite good, but
> still not quite strong enough for my taste.
>
> Any of these teas will do in a pinch. I do NOT like Lipton or Bigelow.
>
> BTW, has anyone seen the new Snapple teabags that are now on
> supermarket shelves? They are made by Redco Foods, which sells Red
> Rose and Salada in the US. They seem to be mostly fruit-flavored, so I
> am not terribly interested in trying them. Has anyone else tried them?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Melinda

"Pat" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Since we've had some discussions on supermarket teas today, I was
> wondering what supermarket brands, if any, people in this group drink.
> I have tried and liked Red Rose and Salada. Red Rose used to be my
> favorite every day tea, but lately I've lost my taste for it. It seems
> too weak to me now, and it just can't compete with PG Tips or the
> Canadian version of Red Rose.
>
> Tetley British Blend is my current favorite of the supermarket teas.
> This is what I now drink at work. It has more tea per bag, so it makes
> a stronger brew, yet is not too strong to brew in the mug - unlike the
> Tetley sold in the UK and other British brands which ARE too strong for
> in-the-mug brewing, IMO.
>
> I used to not like Tetley's regular blend, but since they replaced the
> Original Blend with the Classic Blend, I think it is quite good, but
> still not quite strong enough for my taste.

When I do drink bags, it is either Tetley's (the classic blend or the
British Blend, though I don't like the way they've designed those British
Blend strings on the bag) or PG Tips or Williamson and Magor (last summer
for iced, pretty tasty). I tried Yorkshire Gold but actually didn't swoon
over it the way some other folks did, I wouldn't rebuy it. I am not
remembering the name at the moment but there's an Irish black tea, not sure
if it comes in bags...Brook Bond? Something that has a b in it...anyway I
want to try that someday when I get a chance.

One bag I absolutely hated (really, it was the worst I've ever had I think)
was a Bigelow Darjeeling teabag in an airport, it was terrible. It's the one
in the pink pouch. Yeeeuk.

Melinda

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
toci

Luzianne for iced tea in the summer. I like Celestial Seasoning teas,
but I mainly use their rooibos. Toci
Pat wrote:
> Since we've had some discussions on supermarket teas today, I was
> wondering what supermarket brands, if any, people in this group drink.
> I have tried and liked Red Rose and Salada. Red Rose used to be my
> favorite every day tea, but lately I've lost my taste for it. It seems
> too weak to me now, and it just can't compete with PG Tips or the
> Canadian version of Red Rose.
>
> Tetley British Blend is my current favorite of the supermarket teas.
> This is what I now drink at work. It has more tea per bag, so it makes
> a stronger brew, yet is not too strong to brew in the mug - unlike the
> Tetley sold in the UK and other British brands which ARE too strong for
> in-the-mug brewing, IMO.
>
> I used to not like Tetley's regular blend, but since they replaced the
> Original Blend with the Classic Blend, I think it is quite good, but
> still not quite strong enough for my taste.
>
> Any of these teas will do in a pinch. I do NOT like Lipton or Bigelow.
>
> BTW, has anyone seen the new Snapple teabags that are now on
> supermarket shelves? They are made by Redco Foods, which sells Red
> Rose and Salada in the US. They seem to be mostly fruit-flavored, so I
> am not terribly interested in trying them. Has anyone else tried them?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
stePH

Melinda wrote:

> One bag I absolutely hated (really, it was the worst I've ever had I think)
> was a Bigelow Darjeeling teabag in an airport, it was terrible. It's the one
> in the pink pouch. Yeeeuk.

Bigelow "Darjeeling" comes in a purple packet.

I find most Bigelow, Stash and Twinings to be acceptable tea bags,
along with Republic of Tea's "Blackberry Sage" and "Ginger Peach"
blends. I won't touch Lipton.

stePH
in cup: nothing yet

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Pat

Melinda wrote:

> When I do drink bags, it is either Tetley's (the classic blend or the
> British Blend, though I don't like the way they've designed those British
> Blend strings on the bag)

----------> Those are the Drawstring Bags. You can get British Blend
in ordinary round bags without strings at a lower price. With the
drawstrings, you're paying for packaging.

I am not
> remembering the name at the moment but there's an Irish black tea, not sure
> if it comes in bags...Brook Bond? Something that has a b in it...anyway I
> want to try that someday when I get a chance.

----------> That would be Barry's Tea. It's very good. My local
Albertson's just started carrying it, along with Lyons (another Irish
brand) and PG Tips.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Pat

Knack wrote:

.. Some Costco stores carry nicely
> painted 120-quantity steel canisters of Twinings Earl Grey bags for only
> US$6. These are amazing values.

Really? That is a very good price. I shall have to head over to
Costco to see if I can find some. Thanks for the info.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Pat wrote:
> BTW, has anyone seen the new Snapple teabags that are now on
> supermarket shelves? They are made by Redco Foods, which sells Red
> Rose and Salada in the US. They seem to be mostly fruit-flavored, so I
> am not terribly interested in trying them. Has anyone else tried them?

I tried (and still have some) of the Snapple Strawberry White Tea. It
is terrible. You barely get one brewing and that is all. I've never
seen tea that litterally produces pure water after having been brewed
for 1 minute. Even though they claim it all natural it has a horrible
artificial stawberry flavor. I was really bummed at the quality and
taste.

Some good supermarket teas a Kame Brand Chinese Restaurant Tea, PG
Tips, Tazo, Republic of Tea,

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Moorgunns

Of the supermarket types, I was rather disappointed by PG tips, but
have found consistent quality and taste out of Twinings. This is the
original Earl Grey blend, and I think, still the best. I have begun my
own business out here on the Vermont and New Hampshire border, called
Moorgunn's Teaery, available on the web at moorgunnstea.com.
We carry one of the finest Earl Grey and English Breakfast blends I
have ever had, and dress it in our own unique packaging. I gave up on
the market and went into wholesale and co-op offerings for the best
tea. We obtain ours through importers.
The tricky and expensive Pu-erh tea types are not yet in my price
category realistically. Any one have any experience selling them in the
states?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Moorgunns

Check out moorgunnstea.com. We sell gift boxes with some great retro
photography and down-home labeling. New England stuff, and only premium
tea. Twinings, that you're talking about, is our favorite... outside of
our own.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dieter Folz

For the quick (tea-bagged) supermarket brand cuppa I always return to
PG Tips. I never found a better brand (but I had to rely mostly on
German supermarket-brands, which are incredebly bad, and I also tried
different Twinings as well as Tetley).

Tetley was ok, but it didn't get me.

What I dislike is Twinings. I found it not really better than PG and
esp. the "Darjeeling" (i doubt it is one) was groce. The
price-to-value-ratio is really bad. You can get cheaper tea in far, far
better quality at every tea shop around the corner. Also, here in
Germany it is meanwhile (thank God) quite common to use real bergamotte
oil for Earl Grey teas again, which is much better than this Twinings
and other supermarket tea brands industry aroma stuff. Ok, the tea has
a very much shorter durability than the ones with flavourings, because
the oil gets rancy quite quickly, but IMHO it's *definitly* worth it.

So, for me PG Tips is the best (yet tasted) supermarket brand.

Dieter

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey

Melinda > wrote:

>When I do drink bags, it is either Tetley's (the classic blend or the
>British Blend, though I don't like the way they've designed those British
>Blend strings on the bag) or PG Tips or Williamson and Magor (last summer
>for iced, pretty tasty). I tried Yorkshire Gold but actually didn't swoon
>over it the way some other folks did, I wouldn't rebuy it. I am not
>remembering the name at the moment but there's an Irish black tea, not sure
>if it comes in bags...Brook Bond? Something that has a b in it...anyway I
>want to try that someday when I get a chance.

You are thinking of Bewley's, which is a blend with a whole lot of
assam in it. I could never stomach it, but I have Irish friends who
swear by it.

Brook Bond is what you'd get if Brooke Shields married James Bond.

>One bag I absolutely hated (really, it was the worst I've ever had I think)
>was a Bigelow Darjeeling teabag in an airport, it was terrible. It's the one
>in the pink pouch. Yeeeuk.

Dunno, but I am always apt to blame the water in airports. I spend
too damn much time in airports too.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
stePH

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> You are thinking of Bewley's, which is a blend with a whole lot of
> assam in it. I could never stomach it, but I have Irish friends who
> swear by it.

What's the typical "Irish Breakfast" blend? Isn't it mostly Assam?

stePH
in cup: sencha (bulk) from Limbo, 2nd infusion

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Pat

stePH wrote:
> What's the typical "Irish Breakfast" blend? Isn't it mostly Assam?

Yes, Assam is the main component in most Irish Breakfast blends. I
believe Twinings Irish Breakfast is a pure Assam (or close to it). I
do not care for it.

Bewley's Irish Breakfast is a blend of Assam and Darjeeling and is
quite good and definitely worth a try.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey

stePH > wrote:
>Scott Dorsey wrote:
>>
>> You are thinking of Bewley's, which is a blend with a whole lot of
>> assam in it. I could never stomach it, but I have Irish friends who
>> swear by it.

>What's the typical "Irish Breakfast" blend? Isn't it mostly Assam?

Yes. Bewley's is definitely in the "Irish breakfast" category. Even
though the label does not describe it that way.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
richard

stePH wrote:
> Scott Dorsey wrote:
> >
> > You are thinking of Bewley's, which is a blend with a whole lot of
> > assam in it. I could never stomach it, but I have Irish friends who
> > swear by it.

> What's the typical "Irish Breakfast" blend? Isn't it mostly Assam?

stePH,

Usually Irish Breakfast teas are a blend of Assam and Kenyan teas.
To make the dark liquor most use CTC grade 'leaf'. Obviously each brand
differs and may put in some other origin to make their product unique.

Richard

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
richard

stePH wrote:
> Scott Dorsey wrote:
> >
> > You are thinking of Bewley's, which is a blend with a whole lot of
> > assam in it. I could never stomach it, but I have Irish friends who
> > swear by it.

> What's the typical "Irish Breakfast" blend? Isn't it mostly Assam?

stePH,

Usually Irish Breakfast teas are a blend of Assam and Kenyan teas.
To make the dark liquor most use CTC grade 'leaf'. Obviously each brand
differs and may put in some other origin to make their product unique.

Richard

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
stePH

richard wrote:
> stePH wrote:
> > Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > >
> > > You are thinking of Bewley's, which is a blend with a whole lot of
> > > assam in it. I could never stomach it, but I have Irish friends who
> > > swear by it.

> > What's the typical "Irish Breakfast" blend? Isn't it mostly Assam?
> >

> stePH,
>
> Usually Irish Breakfast teas are a blend of Assam and Kenyan teas.
> To make the dark liquor most use CTC grade 'leaf'. Obviously each brand
> differs and may put in some other origin to make their product unique.

I just figured there was a reason Mr. Dorsey's Irish friends were
partial to an Assam-heavy blend, and I also knew there was a particular
kind of tea that dominated Irish Breakfast blends.

stePH
in cup: empty; recently contained jasmine pearl from Costco

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin

Larry Weil > writes:

> "richard" > wrote in news:1137726330.998120.162120
> @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
>

> > Usually Irish Breakfast teas are a blend of Assam and Kenyan teas.
> > To make the dark liquor most use CTC grade 'leaf'. Obviously each brand
> > differs and may put in some other origin to make their product unique.
> >

> Can someone explain, in terms of which is stronger, the difference between
> English Breakfast and Irish Breakfast?

Not if that isn't the difference.

I think you'll be disappointed if you expect consistency across all
EBs or all IBs. Within one brand, it's a different matter: blenders'
job is to make a brand consistent from year to year as far as is
possible.

I hope the following doesn't sound condescending: If strength is what
you want, find the cheapest CTC tea available where you live (probably
in a grocery frequented by South Asians and/or Arabs) and brew it as
strong as you want.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
danube

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:17:15 +0000, Larry Weil wrote:

> "richard" > wrote in news:1137726330.998120.162120
> @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
>

>> Usually Irish Breakfast teas are a blend of Assam and Kenyan teas. To
>> make the dark liquor most use CTC grade 'leaf'. Obviously each brand
>> differs and may put in some other origin to make their product unique.
>>

> Can someone explain, in terms of which is stronger, the difference between
> English Breakfast and Irish Breakfast?

Too broad in their definitions and compositions. But I would expect the
Irish to be stronger, the ones I saw were finer in their grade and brewed
a very dark liquor, crying out for cream.

JB
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
toci

Irish is Assam. English is half-Assam. Toci
Larry Weil wrote:
> "richard" > wrote in news:1137726330.998120.162120
> @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
>

> > Usually Irish Breakfast teas are a blend of Assam and Kenyan teas.
> > To make the dark liquor most use CTC grade 'leaf'. Obviously each brand
> > differs and may put in some other origin to make their product unique.
> >

> Can someone explain, in terms of which is stronger, the difference between
> English Breakfast and Irish Breakfast?
>
> --
> Larry Weil
> Lake Wobegone, NH

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey

:

>> Usually Irish Breakfast teas are a blend of Assam and Kenyan teas.
>> To make the dark liquor most use CTC grade 'leaf'. Obviously each brand
>> differs and may put in some other origin to make their product unique.

>Can someone explain, in terms of which is stronger, the difference between
>English Breakfast and Irish Breakfast?

Irish Breakfast tends to be heavier and more robust. I guess that could
mean "stronger" in a way. That's due to having more Assam and sometimes
Kenyan tea rather than Chinese tea in the blend.

English Breakfast blends can usually be drunk without milk if they are
made weak, but Irish Breakfast is really too heavy to survive without it.
--scott