Old 05-01-2006, 03:28 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Space Cowboy

Default Google Groups complaint (was Earl Grey)

I think the Google assurance of seeing one's post rolled up
'momentarily' is more true than not. I've never lost a post with
Google. There is nothing in the Google psyche that depends on a double
post besides serendipity. If you don't believe me look at the current
share price. Google has a threaded view. You only need it when people
don't quote. If there is a posting limit it is because people try to
post video or audio files in non Usenet format with appropriate
reassembly instructions. The standard formats for Usenet audio video
posts are automatically deleted by Google no matter where they come
from. It is a function of blanket censorship more than storage space.
To this extent I think Google is abusing Usenet and should cease the
practice or cease archiving. Most people complain about software
because it makes them look stupid than coding bugs.

Jim

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
The problem wasn't instant propagation. It's loading in a timely
manner. Something delayed the original message's appearance in
Google's own database for a considerable time, making it look like
nothing had posted, and a check of the group confirmed that. But when
I reposted, both appeared.

The thing that will probably cause me the most reason to stop using
Google Groups, though, is that it has a posting limit. And doesn't say
what the limit is.

As for context, I recommend a threaded newsreader. I wouldn't post
anywhere without one.

--Blair

Old 05-01-2006, 05:07 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin

"Blair P. Houghton" writes:

[...]
As for context, I recommend a threaded newsreader.

I have one too.

I wouldn't post anywhere without one.

Sorry, that doesn't get you off the hook. When you reply to a long
post that makes a number of points, it's only fair to your readers to
make it clear which points you're responding to. To achieve that, I
recommend replying inline to text you quote.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Old 06-01-2006, 05:33 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Blair P. Houghton

Default context [was:"Google Groups complaint]

I wonder if I could ask you to include a contextualizing snippet of the old post

I'd prefer not to have to do so in every case.

Track back on the thread (you do have a threaded
newsreader, don't you? I mean, *gosh*, it's 2006 already) and you'll
see plainly what I'm responding to. Though if it were relevant, I'd
include it.

--Blair

Old 06-01-2006, 05:38 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Blair P. Houghton

I actually saw one lost last week; there was an error message,
and I clicked the back button, and the edit was gone.

I've since discovered that if I'd clicked the "Reply" widget it
would have reopened the edit box, and my text would probably
still be in there (Firefox is stickier than IE for edit-box contents,
so YMMV).

Given that Google's not a high-reliability system (reliability may
be a forethought to some google coders, but I'm not expecting
them to have done a FMEA on it nor to be standardized as to
their diligence) I'll just have to take care to preserve content
myself.

--Blair
"ctrl-A ctrl-C tab tab tab enter"

Old 06-01-2006, 01:13 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Space Cowboy

The only error I've ever seen to the Post Message button is Server Not
Available. Sending the information in the Text Message box back to
Google is a function of your Web Browser and ISP. That is the Modus
Operandi of the Client Server model of the Internet. The only
consistent glitch I can replicate in Google is keep the edit window
open a long time before the Post Message. Occasionally it return you
to the edit window again with the same information like you didn't do a
Post Message. This is because in the meantime other Usenet posts have
been rolled up in the same thread so your position has changed. You
hit the Post Message one more time to get the 'wait momentarily'
message while you are properly positioned in the thread. I don't even
worry about any backup strategy to my posts anymore. I cut my teeth on
Google when 24 hour postings were the standard and not momentarily. I
also log in and out for each post because the Internet is a stateless
system that is there is no guarantee you will be recognized as a Client
the next time you use the Post method expected by the Server. There
are ways around this conundrum but no standards. BTW the non standard
communications are also used by viruses.

Jim

Old 06-01-2006, 03:25 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin

"Blair P. Houghton" writes:

I wonder if I could ask you to include a contextualizing snippet of
the old post

I'd prefer not to have to do so in every case.

Track back on the thread (you do have a threaded newsreader, don't
you? I mean, *gosh*, it's 2006 already) and you'll see plainly what
I'm responding to.

Let's think of it in terms of economics. There's only one of you, and
on the other side we have the (possibly dwindling) multitude of your
readers. You could do the work yourself, or *each* of your readers
could do it. Which way is more efficient?

Though if it were relevant, I'd include it.

You appear to be a recent convert to Contextualism, brother, but we
welcome all reformed sinners.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Old 06-01-2006, 04:16 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Me

Default Earl Grey

"Blair P. Houghton" wrote in
oups.com:

Seriously. Who's pulling this joke on the entire tea world?

--Blair

FLUSH!
Old 06-01-2006, 07:40 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Blair P. Houghton

Lewis Perin wrote:
"Blair P. Houghton" writes:

[...]
As for context, I recommend a threaded newsreader.

I have one too.

I wouldn't post anywhere without one.

Sorry, that doesn't get you off the hook.

There is no hook. Are you presuming to be the king of Usenet?

When you reply to a long
post that makes a number of points, it's only fair to your readers to
make it clear which points you're responding to. To achieve that, I
recommend replying inline to text you quote.

I do so when it's necessary and efficient, to me. When it's not,
I won't bother.

You're responsible for understanding what you're reading. I'm not
responsible for your misunderstanding it. I could cross-index
every word to the moment I learned it in school, and you could
still misunderstand the meanings of them. That's not my problem.
If you need more context than you got, you know where to find it.

--Blair

Old 06-01-2006, 07:45 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Blair P. Houghton

Let's think of it in terms of economics. There's only one of you, and
on the other side we have the (possibly dwindling) multitude...

That's not economics, it's politics, which indicates that you
either don't understand what you're saying or are dissembling
for a purpose.

From an economic standpoint, I will quote as little as I desire,

and you will understand as little as you desire. We'll see who
loses the most.

--Blair

Best Earl Grey? Bob Cleeman Tea 9 08-10-2006 05:23 PM
Earl Grey Joshua Tea Tea 12 26-01-2006 11:33 PM
Earl Grey Blair P. Houghton Tea 17 19-01-2006 02:23 PM
Earl Grey Pat Tea 19 16-07-2005 02:48 AM
Earl Grey/Lady Grey Ripon Tea 7 26-02-2004 04:23 AM