FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   Earl Grey (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/78161-earl-grey.html)

Blair P. Houghton 03-01-2006 08:16 PM

Earl Grey

Seriously. Who's pulling this joke on the entire tea world?

--Blair

Me 06-01-2006 05:18 PM

Earl Grey

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Seriously. Who's pulling this joke on the entire tea world?
>
> --Blair

FLUSH!

Blair P. Houghton 06-01-2006 08:43 PM

Earl Grey

Me wrote:
> "Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>
> > Seriously. Who's pulling this joke on the entire tea world?

> FLUSH!

First or second? And why would you ruin it by greasing it with
floor-cleaner?

--Blair
"No, this is not a troll, it's an honest opinion."

toci 16-01-2006 06:32 AM

Earl Grey

Seriously, I agree with you about Earl Grey. Look on it as one of
those tisane mixtures that not everybody likes. I'm not sure
whether it's the bergamont or the mixture I object to. Toci

Pat 16-01-2006 03:46 PM

Earl Grey

toci wrote:
> Seriously, I agree with you about Earl Grey. Look on it as one of
> those tisane mixtures that not everybody likes. I'm not sure
> whether it's the bergamont or the mixture I object to. Toci

Earl Grey can definitely be an acquired taste. I didn't like it when I
tried it for the first time, either. Even now, it's something I don't
like all the time. I go through spells where I drink a lot of it
(mostly in the afternoons. Tried it at breakfast time once - BIG
MISTAKE!) and then I might go for months without drinking any Earl Grey
at all.

But before you dismiss Earl Grey totally as something you don't like,
bear in mind that there are many different blends of it available and
not all are created equal. Maybe you just tried the wrong brand? I
think most of the Earl Greys blended for American consumers are too
heavy on the bergamot, resulting in a soapy-tasting tea. It's worth
experimenting a bit to find the right amount of bergamot for your
particular taste. For me, Twinings seems to have just about the right
amount of bergamot. I also like the Republic of Tea's Earl Greyer,
though it is a bit pricy for the quality. Other brands like Stash,
Lipton and Bigelow have so much bergamot in them, it almost
anesthesizes the pallette.

Try Jackson's Earl Grey sometime, if you get a chance. The bergamot in
it is very subtle; just a hint, really. It's quite different from any
other Earl Grey I've tried. Jacksons used to claim that theirs was the
original Earl Grey formula, until they were taken over by Twinings, who
makes the same claim. Now that they're part of the same conglomerate,
they don't argue about this anymore.

stePH 16-01-2006 05:01 PM

Earl Grey

Pat wrote:

> Try Jackson's Earl Grey sometime, if you get a chance. The bergamot in
> it is very subtle; just a hint, really. It's quite different from any
> other Earl Grey I've tried. Jacksons used to claim that theirs was the
> original Earl Grey formula, until they were taken over by Twinings, who
> makes the same claim. Now that they're part of the same conglomerate,
> they don't argue about this anymore.

Ahmad "English Afternoon" is a black tea blend flavored with bergamot,
but not as much as in their "Earl Grey". Probably fits your
description of the Jackson's and Twinings Earl Greys above, though I've
not tried either of those.

stePH
in cup: Russian Caravan from Limbo (bulk)

Steve Hay 16-01-2006 05:11 PM

Earl Grey

Pat wrote:
> Earl Grey can definitely be an acquired taste. I didn't like it when I
> tried it for the first time, either. Even now, it's something I don't
> like all the time. I go through spells where I drink a lot of it
> (mostly in the afternoons. Tried it at breakfast time once - BIG
> MISTAKE!) and then I might go for months without drinking any Earl Grey
> at all.

I went to this very mediocre Tapas restaurant in Clarendon, VA and they
were serving Earl Grey Iced. It was bad, and added to the general
mediocracy of the place. That said, I sometimes enjoy Earl Grey in hot
tea. I agree the mood has to hit me right.

Steve

Blair P. Houghton 16-01-2006 09:30 PM

Earl Grey

Pat wrote:
> Try Jackson's Earl Grey sometime, if you get a chance. The bergamot in
> it is very subtle; just a hint, really. It's quite different from any
> other Earl Grey I've tried. Jacksons used to claim that theirs was the
> original Earl Grey formula, until they were taken over by Twinings, who
> makes the same claim. Now that they're part of the same conglomerate,
> they don't argue about this anymore.

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/mp/200...1600060300.htm

http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/searc...0&search.y =0

(overpriced and mildly treasonous)

--Blair

Blair P. Houghton 16-01-2006 09:36 PM

Earl Grey

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
> Pat wrote:
> > Try Jackson's Earl Grey sometime, if you get a chance. The bergamot in
> > it is very subtle; just a hint, really. It's quite different from any
> > other Earl Grey I've tried. Jacksons used to claim that theirs was the
> > original Earl Grey formula, until they were taken over by Twinings, who
> > makes the same claim. Now that they're part of the same conglomerate,
> > they don't argue about this anymore.

> http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/mp/200...1600060300.htm
>
> http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/searc...0&search.y =0
>
> (overpriced and mildly treasonous)

http://images.google.com/images?q=neroli

http://images.google.com/images?q=bergamot

--Blair

Pat 16-01-2006 10:13 PM

Earl Grey

The East India Company's teas are very good. I like their Staunton
Earl Grey. It's been so long since I had it, I'd forgotten about it.
I agree it is overpriced. I used to get it a pretty reasonable price
at Marshall's and TJ Maxx, but that was several years ago.

Pat 16-01-2006 10:17 PM

Earl Grey

Steve Hay wrote:

> I went to this very mediocre Tapas restaurant in Clarendon, VA and they
> were serving Earl Grey Iced. It was bad, and added to the general
> mediocracy of the place. That said, I sometimes enjoy Earl Grey in hot
> tea. I agree the mood has to hit me right.

Funny you should say this, because for the past few days I've been
thinking about trying Earl Grey iced. Last night I decided to make
some and let it steep in the fridge overnight. I was afraid the
bergamot would be overpowering in a cold beverage, so I made a mixture
of half PG Tips and half Twinings Earl Grey. This proved to be a wise
decision; I had two glasses of it at lunchtime today and the bergamot
was quite strong. 100% Earl Grey would have been way too
overpowering. The tea was pleasant enough; if I try it again I may try
60% PG and 40% Earl Grey. I'm trying to find a combination that will
give the iced tea a little extra pizzazz without overwhelming it
entirely.

Steve Hay 16-01-2006 10:29 PM

Earl Grey

Pat wrote:
> Funny you should say this, because for the past few days I've been
> thinking about trying Earl Grey iced. Last night I decided to make
> some and let it steep in the fridge overnight. I was afraid the
> bergamot would be overpowering in a cold beverage, so I made a mixture
> of half PG Tips and half Twinings Earl Grey. This proved to be a wise

It might have tasted better if the Bergamot was very subtle. The stuff
at this restaurant was not so good. I do like the flavoring of the iced
tea at Cheesecake Factory, which is apparently some kind of mango. Its
not sweet like most flavors and you can still taste the tea. Let me
know if you find a good balance and I'll try it too.

Steve

stePH 16-01-2006 11:31 PM

Earl Grey

Pat wrote:
> The East India Company's teas are very good. I like their Staunton
> Earl Grey. It's been so long since I had it, I'd forgotten about it.
> I agree it is overpriced. I used to get it a pretty reasonable price
> at Marshall's and TJ Maxx, but that was several years ago.

Nice to see I'm not the only one here shopping for tea at Marshall's
and TJ Maxx
:-)

stePH
in cup: unidentified oolong (bulk) from Limbo, 2nd infusion

Steve Hay 17-01-2006 01:23 AM

Earl Grey

stePH wrote:
> Pat wrote:
>>I agree it is overpriced. I used to get it a pretty reasonable price
>>at Marshall's and TJ Maxx, but that was several years ago.

> Nice to see I'm not the only one here shopping for tea at Marshall's
> and TJ Maxx

I've found the coffee and tea at TJ Maxx questionable at best. Both
have been a bit old for my tastes and one of them was obviously
low-quality coffee that had been roasted very dark to cover up some
pretty unappealing flavors. I've found some good coffee and tea
equipment there though...

Steve

Pat 17-01-2006 03:38 AM

Earl Grey

Steve Hay wrote:

> I've found the coffee and tea at TJ Maxx questionable at best. Both
> have been a bit old for my tastes and one of them was obviously
> low-quality coffee that had been roasted very dark to cover up some
> pretty unappealing flavors. I've found some good coffee and tea
> equipment there though...
>
> Steve

It's a matter of getting there at the right time. Sometimes stock does
hang around too long, but other times it is quite fresh. The tea I
bought was still a year away from its expiry date. The problem is
that when you find something you like, it probably won't be there the
next time you go back and is probably difficult to obtain elsewhere.

Knack 17-01-2006 09:31 AM

Earl Grey

"Pat" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Steve Hay wrote:
>>
>> I went to this very mediocre Tapas restaurant in Clarendon, VA and they
>> were serving Earl Grey Iced. It was bad, and added to the general
>> mediocracy of the place. That said, I sometimes enjoy Earl Grey in hot
>> tea. I agree the mood has to hit me right.
>>

> Funny you should say this, because for the past few days I've been
> thinking about trying Earl Grey iced. Last night I decided to make
> some and let it steep in the fridge overnight. I was afraid the
> bergamot would be overpowering in a cold beverage,

I routinely make Twinnings EG as a cold-brew. In fact, that's the only way I
have it. Three bags per 5-cup batch steeped overnight in the fridge.
Afterwards I add a total of 15 drops of stevia glycerite to the batch for
zero-calorie sweetness. This drink is not intended as something refined for
sipping. Just slam it down when you're thirsty, as an alternative to
drinking water, fruit juice, or soft drinks. Very refreshing. I especially
like it after working out in my home gym. And the kids love it too. I'd
rather see them drinking EG than polluting themselves with cola.

Pat 17-01-2006 02:41 PM

Earl Grey

Knack wrote:
> "Pat" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >

> I routinely make Twinnings EG as a cold-brew. In fact, that's the only way I
> have it. Three bags per 5-cup batch steeped overnight in the fridge.
> Afterwards I add a total of 15 drops of stevia glycerite to the batch for
> zero-calorie sweetness. This drink is not intended as something refined for
> sipping. Just slam it down when you're thirsty, as an alternative to
> drinking water, fruit juice, or soft drinks. Very refreshing. I especially
> like it after working out in my home gym. And the kids love it too. I'd
> rather see them drinking EG than polluting themselves with cola.

I also drink iced tea by the gallon when I get home from the gym. The
jury is still out on the Earl Grey as a cold drink, though. It was not
bad, but I think I prefer the plain stuff iced. Next time I may try a
little more plain tea and a little less EG and see how that goes.

Scott Dorsey 19-01-2006 03:23 PM

Earl Grey

In article .com>,
Pat > wrote:

>Funny you should say this, because for the past few days I've been
>thinking about trying Earl Grey iced. Last night I decided to make
>some and let it steep in the fridge overnight. I was afraid the
>bergamot would be overpowering in a cold beverage, so I made a mixture
>of half PG Tips and half Twinings Earl Grey. This proved to be a wise
>decision; I had two glasses of it at lunchtime today and the bergamot
>was quite strong. 100% Earl Grey would have been way too
>overpowering. The tea was pleasant enough; if I try it again I may try
>60% PG and 40% Earl Grey. I'm trying to find a combination that will
>give the iced tea a little extra pizzazz without overwhelming it
>entirely.

Try icing jasmine tea. It's not bad. The cheap yellow box jasmine
from Fujian is fine.
--scott