Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Used Brita water filter?

Someone gave me a used Brita water filter ..the kind in the form of a
pitcher (model OB35 ?). Is it probably safe to use, or could it be
unhealthy if the previous owner never changed the filter?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey

In article .com>,
> wrote:
>Someone gave me a used Brita water filter ..the kind in the form of a
>pitcher (model OB35 ?). Is it probably safe to use, or could it be
>unhealthy if the previous owner never changed the filter?

It won't be unhealthy, but it will be pretty nasty. You're supposed to
change those filters about once a month; they are regularly disposable
items.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Justin Holmes

Are you talking about the filter cartridge itself, or the pitcher? I
would toss the filter immediately and put a new one in. As for the
pitcher, just clean it out. You should do this periodically anyway. I
used to use one and cleaned it at least once a week.