FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   Used Brita water filter? (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/77946-used-brita-water-filter.html)

[email protected] 31-12-2005 07:25 PM

Used Brita water filter?

Someone gave me a used Brita water filter ..the kind in the form of a
pitcher (model OB35 ?). Is it probably safe to use, or could it be
unhealthy if the previous owner never changed the filter?

Scott Dorsey 01-01-2006 01:50 PM

Used Brita water filter?

In article .com>,
> wrote:
>Someone gave me a used Brita water filter ..the kind in the form of a
>pitcher (model OB35 ?). Is it probably safe to use, or could it be
>unhealthy if the previous owner never changed the filter?

It won't be unhealthy, but it will be pretty nasty. You're supposed to
change those filters about once a month; they are regularly disposable
items.
--scott

Steve Hay 01-01-2006 02:06 PM

Used Brita water filter?

wrote:
> Someone gave me a used Brita water filter ..the kind in the form of a
> pitcher (model OB35 ?). Is it probably safe to use, or could it be
> unhealthy if the previous owner never changed the filter?

If you ensure its clean and change the filter, you should have no
problems with it.

Steve

Justin Holmes 01-01-2006 09:34 PM

Used Brita water filter?

Are you talking about the filter cartridge itself, or the pitcher? I
would toss the filter immediately and put a new one in. As for the
pitcher, just clean it out. You should do this periodically anyway. I
used to use one and cleaned it at least once a week.