Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Daniel J. Morlan

Default Burning Question about Yixing brewing...

I have a feeling my last post was ignored... I cut down to the chase with
this question.

I'm wondering if it is feasible to put boiling water in a yixing pot, steep
the tea with a swissgold filter, and pour the steeped tea into the fine
china cup that I enjoy drinking tea with so much. As much as I enjoy the
tupperware's taste, etc. I like the ritualistic aspects of the pot a little
more, which enhances the experience for me, DEPENDING on my mood.

I've been drinking tea religiously (no pun intended) about a year, but have
been thoroughly enamored with various green, black, and flavored teas the
last fifteen years. (I refer to simple brands like Twining's Earl Grey,
various jasmine green teas, oolongs, dragon-eye (superb tea!), etc... I'm
finding that I want to delve more into this stuff, limitations towards
caffeine free varieties due to dietary constraints, but I'd like to
experience at least something similar to the traditional tastes, and was
wondering if this method was a feasible means to do so.

I'd be surprised if someone hasn't actually tried it this way, already.

Regards,

Daniel

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Space Cowboy

Brewing tea is what works for you. There is no correct way only
traditions. I used a tea kettle all my life till recently where I now
use a sauce pan. I'd probably still use a kettle but I remember this
is how grandma did it. The British make a strainer that sits on the
top of the cup. There is making tea for yourself and guests.
Different teaware, different occasions. You could buy an 8 oz clay pot
with an infuser. You steep the tea in the pot just to the bottom of
the infuser. That would give you about 100ml of tea. I don't like any
teapot where it takes longer to get rid of the leaves than making the
tea. Making tea itself is a mood enhancer.

Jim

Daniel J. Morlan wrote:
> I have a feeling my last post was ignored... I cut down to the chase with
> this question.
>
> I'm wondering if it is feasible to put boiling water in a yixing pot, steep
> the tea with a swissgold filter, and pour the steeped tea into the fine
> china cup that I enjoy drinking tea with so much. As much as I enjoy the
> tupperware's taste, etc. I like the ritualistic aspects of the pot a little
> more, which enhances the experience for me, DEPENDING on my mood.
>
> I've been drinking tea religiously (no pun intended) about a year, but have
> been thoroughly enamored with various green, black, and flavored teas the
> last fifteen years. (I refer to simple brands like Twining's Earl Grey,
> various jasmine green teas, oolongs, dragon-eye (superb tea!), etc... I'm
> finding that I want to delve more into this stuff, limitations towards
> caffeine free varieties due to dietary constraints, but I'd like to
> experience at least something similar to the traditional tastes, and was
> wondering if this method was a feasible means to do so.
>
> I'd be surprised if someone hasn't actually tried it this way, already.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin

"Daniel J. Morlan" > writes:

> I have a feeling my last post was ignored... I cut down to the chase with
> this question.
>
> I'm wondering if it is feasible to put boiling water in a yixing pot, steep
> the tea with a swissgold filter, and pour the steeped tea into the fine
> china cup that I enjoy drinking tea with so much.

You want to put an infuser basket into a Yixing pot? Why? And do you
really expect the infuser to fit snugly under the lid so it pours well?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Giovanni Vanni

Yixing teapots are traditionally intended for single use, so their size are
usually small. The swiss gold filter is simply too big to fit in, and it
would be quite useless owing to the internal build-in strainer yixing teapot
are equipped with.

Saluti

Giovanni Vanni

Furthermore they have an internal build-in strainer, so il would be
"Daniel J. Morlan" > ha scritto nel
messaggio om...
>I have a feeling my last post was ignored... I cut down to the chase with
>this question.
>
> I'm wondering if it is feasible to put boiling water in a yixing pot,
> steep
> the tea with a swissgold filter, and pour the steeped tea into the fine
> china cup that I enjoy drinking tea with so much. As much as I enjoy the
> tupperware's taste, etc. I like the ritualistic aspects of the pot a
> little
> more, which enhances the experience for me, DEPENDING on my mood.
>
> I've been drinking tea religiously (no pun intended) about a year, but
> have
> been thoroughly enamored with various green, black, and flavored teas the
> last fifteen years. (I refer to simple brands like Twining's Earl Grey,
> various jasmine green teas, oolongs, dragon-eye (superb tea!), etc... I'm
> finding that I want to delve more into this stuff, limitations towards
> caffeine free varieties due to dietary constraints, but I'd like to
> experience at least something similar to the traditional tastes, and was
> wondering if this method was a feasible means to do so.
>
> I'd be surprised if someone hasn't actually tried it this way, already.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Falky foo

I believe what you are considering is illegal.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey

Falky foo > wrote:
>I believe what you are considering is illegal.

Hey! How did you know I was just thinking about oral sex?
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Daniel J. Morlan

What we have/had here was a simple miscalculation of scale...

I humbly apologize.

Regards,

Daniel