Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Daniel J. Morlan

Default Westernized Yixing Brewing...

When I drink my green tea, what I typically do, is fill a swissgold 1/2 the
way with the tea. I bring water to a near-boil in a tall tupperware cup
with a lid. I steep the tea about a minute, and drink.

The 2nd and 3rd brews are best. They're brewed progressively longer, and I
find this to be a perfectly suitable, tasty way to enjoy the tea. I enjoy
it THIS way above any other way, actually, insofar. Even more than brewing
a large batch at a time with my fancy-pants German crystal teapot.

(It's a Mikado. It's a fine teapot, but I'm in love with brewing it this new
way.)

http://www.culinaryteas.com/images/2863-MED.gif

For a picture of the teapot, and my swissgold filter looks like this...

http://www.culinaryteas.com/images/G3541.jpg

Though all the gold is gone, and it's just a tea-stained filter. I don't
care, it gets the job done, and that tea is TASTY!

Now, I'm quite monogamous with my tea. I *LOVE* green tea. I wonder if I'm
getting some risidual flavors from the tea that perhaps I can get brewing in
a similar fashion with a yixing. I'm speaking purely scientifically, and
with intent to broaden my appreciation of tea without making too much of a
fuss about it. (Though I consider what I do with my tea now a ritual that I
enjoy, I do not wish to turn this into something overly ceremonial, but
merely a means to making a prize green tea that I enjoy.)

I digress a bit...

I'm wondering if it is feasible to put boiling water in a yixing pot, steep
the tea with a swissgold filter, and pour the steeped tea into the fine
china cup that I enjoy drinking tea with so much. As much as I enjoy the
tupperware's taste, etc. I like the ritualistic aspects of the pot a little
more, which enhances the experience for me, DEPENDING on my mood.

I've been drinking tea religiously (no pun intended) about a year, but have
been thoroughly enamored with various green, black, and flavored teas the
last fifteen years. (I refer to simple brands like Twining's Earl Grey,
various jasmine green teas, oolongs, dragon-eye (superb tea!), etc... I'm
finding that I want to delve more into this stuff, limitations towards
caffeine free varieties due to dietary constraints, but I'd like to
experience at least something similar to the traditional tastes, and was
wondering if this method was a feasible means to do so.

I'd be surprised if someone hasn't actually tried it this way, already.

Regards,

Daniel