Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Falky foo

Default cheap gaiwans

usually see prices for gaiwans at $40-60 online. Then I found these: $5 for
a gaiwan?

http://www.asiachi.com/guywancups.html

Their tea prices look good too. Almost too good.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Space Cowboy

Those are similar to what I find in Chinatown for a buck cheaper which
are labeled on the box as chawan. These look like the cup mates with
the saucer so the two don't slide around. I like #`1 because it looks
like it has a nice thumb perch. You'll find some feel more comfortable
in your hand than others. Besides ergonometrics the only other
consideration might be pattern.

Jim

Falky foo wrote:
> usually see prices for gaiwans at $40-60 online. Then I found these: $5 for
> a gaiwan?
>
> http://www.asiachi.com/guywancups.html
>
> Their tea prices look good too. Almost too good.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Mydnight

>usually see prices for gaiwans at $40-60 online. Then I found these: $5 for
>a gaiwan?

Sure. The one I'm using right now costs probably less than a dollar.
It's just cheap glass afterall.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Asiachi's"pet" stores ("Wing Hop Fung") are in my area, and I've used
these gaiwans and bought them for friends. They're nothing fancy, but
certainly good quality. And their tea is good quality too, though I
haven't ordered it from the website. It flies in and out the door at
the store (they get hundreds and hundreds of customers), ensuring it's
fresh. They're my favorite spot to buy tea leaves!

I'm not sure about their pu-erh teas, though. I've mentioned previously
that they seem to be lying about them If you're in the Los Angeles
or Monterey Park areas, give them a look in person.

~jason

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Michael Plant

Default cheap gaiwans [and moderately priced ones]

Falky m12/10/05

> usually see prices for gaiwans at $40-60 online. Then I found these: $5 for
> a gaiwan?
>
> http://www.asiachi.com/guywancups.html
>
> Their tea prices look good too. Almost too good.

Almost too good, indeed; although the gaiwans look pleasing enough.

Let me suggest Jing Tea Shop for gaiwans. They have several that are well
designed, rather playful in their drawings, and some of unusually small
sizes. I haven't seen these particular ones elsewhere, and they are my
personal favorites. (I speak primarily of the ones with the light hearted
cobalt blue drawings.)

<http://www.jingteashop.com/cat_gaiwans.cfm>

Michael