Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Gyorgy Sajo

Default My tea tray is leaking :-(

A few days ago I have received a nice birthday present from my wife: a
Chinese bamboo tea tray. It is a very special one (at least for me) that I
have picked out already this summer while visiting a Chinese tea house and
shop in Budapest, wherupon my wife has bought it in secret for my birthday.

Using it for the first time, I have just discovered that the tray leaks on a
certain point on the bottom at one of the joints, dripping very slowly but
surely. My first thought has been of course to return it to the shop for an
exchange, but there are several major obstacles to that: I live one thousand
kilometers away from Budapest, and according to my wife this tray was the
last one of its kind. So I have decided to keep it and try to repair it
myself.

For this I need some help from the more experienced members of this group.
Should I use some special waterproof lacque, or perhaps just an ordinary
nail polish to sealing the leak? I want to be sure not to damage the surface
of the bamboo. By the way, are these tray varnished with some kind of
lacque? Its surface is quite smooth and shiny, but I am not sure whether
there is lacque on it or it is just polished very finely. - Another thing is
that the hole or crack is so small that I can not even see it, so I do not
know whether I should seal it from the outside, from the inside, or both.

I would thank for any helpful suggestions.

Gyorgy

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Alex Chaihorsky

It probably will stop on its own. They get overly dry if not used for a
while.

Sasha.

"Gyorgy Sajo" > wrote in message
. ..
>A few days ago I have received a nice birthday present from my wife: a
>Chinese bamboo tea tray. It is a very special one (at least for me) that I
>have picked out already this summer while visiting a Chinese tea house and
>shop in Budapest, wherupon my wife has bought it in secret for my birthday.
>
> Using it for the first time, I have just discovered that the tray leaks on
> a certain point on the bottom at one of the joints, dripping very slowly
> but surely. My first thought has been of course to return it to the shop
> for an exchange, but there are several major obstacles to that: I live one
> thousand kilometers away from Budapest, and according to my wife this tray
> was the last one of its kind. So I have decided to keep it and try to
> repair it myself.
>
> For this I need some help from the more experienced members of this group.
> Should I use some special waterproof lacque, or perhaps just an ordinary
> nail polish to sealing the leak? I want to be sure not to damage the
> surface of the bamboo. By the way, are these tray varnished with some kind
> of lacque? Its surface is quite smooth and shiny, but I am not sure
> whether there is lacque on it or it is just polished very finely. -
> Another thing is that the hole or crack is so small that I can not even
> see it, so I do not know whether I should seal it from the outside, from
> the inside, or both.
>
> I would thank for any helpful suggestions.
>
> Gyorgy

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Mydnight

>For this I need some help from the more experienced members of this group.
>Should I use some special waterproof lacque, or perhaps just an ordinary
>nail polish to sealing the leak? I want to be sure not to damage the surface
>of the bamboo. By the way, are these tray varnished with some kind of
>lacque? Its surface is quite smooth and shiny, but I am not sure whether
>there is lacque on it or it is just polished very finely. - Another thing is
>that the hole or crack is so small that I can not even see it, so I do not
>know whether I should seal it from the outside, from the inside, or both.

Maybe give us a picture of it to look at. I can check around here to
see if there are any shops with similar trays with similar problems.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Gyorgy Sajo

> Maybe give us a picture of it to look at. I can check around here to
> see if there are any shops with similar trays with similar problems.

Thank you! Here are two pictures of the tray:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../teatray01.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../teatray02.jpg

....and one of the original cardboard box:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../teatray03.jpg

Gyorgy

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Mike Petro

Gyorgy Sajo wrote:
> > Maybe give us a picture of it to look at. I can check around here to
> > see if there are any shops with similar trays with similar problems.

> Thank you! Here are two pictures of the tray:
>
> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../teatray01.jpg
> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../teatray02.jpg
>
> ...and one of the original cardboard box:
>
> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../teatray03.jpg
>
> Gyorgy

I have the same tray and Alex was right about this type drying out. Try
soaking it in a bucket of warm water overnight, put something ontop of
it to keep it submerged if need be. The bamboo will swell as it absorbs
the moisture and probably seal the leak. Now that you are using it
regualarly drying out should not be a problem any more once you stop
the leak.

Mike

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scientist

"Mike Petro" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Gyorgy Sajo wrote:
>> > Maybe give us a picture of it to look at. I can check around here to
>> > see if there are any shops with similar trays with similar problems.

>> Thank you! Here are two pictures of the tray:
>>
>> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../teatray01.jpg
>> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../teatray02.jpg
>>
>> ...and one of the original cardboard box:
>>
>> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../teatray03.jpg
>>
>> Gyorgy

> I have the same tray and Alex was right about this type drying out. Try
> soaking it in a bucket of warm water overnight, put something ontop of
> it to keep it submerged if need be. The bamboo will swell as it absorbs
> the moisture and probably seal the leak. Now that you are using it
> regualarly drying out should not be a problem any more once you stop
> the leak.
>
> Mike

I would not go that far - he may, actually overdo it that way. Just putting
some wet paper napkin along the leaking line overnight will probably do it.
If not - repeat. I would not soak the whole tray.

Sasha.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Mike Petro

> I would not go that far - he may, actually overdo it that way. Just putting
> some wet paper napkin along the leaking line overnight will probably do it.
> If not - repeat. I would not soak the whole tray.
>
> Sasha.

Agreed, it is better to be conservative, as you suggest, as he can
always add more agressive moisture later if that doesnt work. Although
I have left my tray full of water for days with little to no ill
effect.

Mike

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Gyorgy Sajo

>> I would not go that far - he may, actually overdo it that way. Just
>> putting
>> some wet paper napkin along the leaking line overnight will probably do
>> it.
>> If not - repeat. I would not soak the whole tray.
>>
>> Sasha.

> Agreed, it is better to be conservative, as you suggest, as he can
> always add more agressive moisture later if that doesnt work. Although
> I have left my tray full of water for days with little to no ill
> effect.
>
> Mike

Sasha and Mike,

Thank you for the suggestions. I will make some experiments; I will start
with filling it up with warm water and let it stay overnight. I will let you
know about the effect.

Gyorgy

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
stePH

Gyorgy Sajo wrote:
> A few days ago I have received a nice birthday present from my wife: a
> Chinese bamboo tea tray. It is a very special one (at least for me) that I
> have picked out already this summer while visiting a Chinese tea house and
> shop in Budapest, wherupon my wife has bought it in secret for my birthday.
>
> Using it for the first time, I have just discovered that the tray leaks on a
> certain point on the bottom at one of the joints, dripping very slowly but
> surely.

I'm unclear on the concept of "tea tray". It sounds to me like
something one serves tea on, but there's apparently something I'm
missing. How exactly does one use a "tea tray" in that a faulty one
will leak?

I looked at the pictures downthread; I'm still unclear.

stePH
--
NP: Kenso, "Hyouto" (Frozen Island)

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Alex Chaihorsky

Do a Google search on "gong fu cha" or "gongfu cha".
This is a tray for Chinese "tea ceremony" - which is just a way to enjoy
mostly oolongs - both their scent and taste.

Sasha.

"stePH" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Gyorgy Sajo wrote:
>> A few days ago I have received a nice birthday present from my wife: a
>> Chinese bamboo tea tray. It is a very special one (at least for me) that
>> have picked out already this summer while visiting a Chinese tea house
>> and
>> shop in Budapest, wherupon my wife has bought it in secret for my
>> birthday.
>>
>> Using it for the first time, I have just discovered that the tray leaks
>> on a
>> certain point on the bottom at one of the joints, dripping very slowly
>> but
>> surely.

> I'm unclear on the concept of "tea tray". It sounds to me like
> something one serves tea on, but there's apparently something I'm
> missing. How exactly does one use a "tea tray" in that a faulty one
> will leak?
>
> I looked at the pictures downthread; I'm still unclear.
>

> stePH
> --
> NP: Kenso, "Hyouto" (Frozen Island)

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Falky foo

I thought that was called a "tea boat".. maybe I'm thinking of something
else.

Anyway some clear silicone gel would do the trick.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Gyorgy Sajo

>> I would not go that far - he may, actually overdo it that way. Just
>> putting
>> some wet paper napkin along the leaking line overnight will probably do
>> it.
>> If not - repeat. I would not soak the whole tray.
>>
>> Sasha.

> Agreed, it is better to be conservative, as you suggest, as he can
> always add more agressive moisture later if that doesnt work. Although
> I have left my tray full of water for days with little to no ill
> effect.
>
> Mike

Well, now I have tried several things from the most gentle surface
moisturising to the most brutal submerged overnight soaking. I must admit,
it was only the last thing that helped. Indeed it has not had any ill effect
on the tray, and now it stopped leaking. Thanks again!

Gyorgy

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Mike Petro

>Well, now I have tried several things from the most gentle surface
>moisturising to the most brutal submerged overnight soaking. I must admit,
>it was only the last thing that helped. Indeed it has not had any ill effect
>on the tray, and now it stopped leaking. Thanks again!
>
>Gyorgy

Hi Gyorgy,

I am glad it worked out for you. I would hope that with regular use
the problem will remain at bay. Let us know in a month or two if it
came back.

Mike
Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Gyorgy Sajo

> Hi Gyorgy,
>
> I am glad it worked out for you. I would hope that with regular use
> the problem will remain at bay. Let us know in a month or two if it
> came back.
>
> Mike

Thank you, Mike,

I have bed news. After only two days where I have used the tray only
lightly, I have had a longer gongfu session with many steepings and water
filling half up the tray. The result: the water is seeping out again from
the bottom. Now it is even worse than before, as there are two more leaking
points besides the old one. I will definitely send it back to the shop in
Hungary at the first opportunity (which will be in January where I get some
visitors from Budapest).

Gyorgy

Pressure Canning and leaking Robert Moulton Preserving 3 07-09-2007 09:37 AM
new barrel leaking [email protected] Winemaking 10 24-02-2006 07:34 PM
Leaking Barrel Pavel314 Winemaking 3 12-11-2005 06:03 PM
advice on steam leaking from arm on Krups 963/B Tim Coffee 0 27-02-2004 12:16 AM
leaking soy sauce bottles Jean B. General Cooking 8 28-12-2003 11:36 PM