Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin

Default Yunnan 6FTM Geography map

"Space Cowboy" > writes:

> Your Babelcarp and my Rosetta Stone have nothing to do with each
> other. I was giving you kudos and didn't mean to imply what you're
> suggesting.

Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding.

> The only reason they're in the same sentence is from a previous post
> where I noted you can't search using codes from Chinese or Japanese
> native language sets just recently added Unicode. If I WAS going to
> make the information in my Rosetta Stone available it would be
> similar to what you did, simple keyword lookup instead of webpages.

I do have web hosting done by my excellent ISP. The reason Babelcarp
doesn't fling a single web page at the user is that its database has
more than 1200 entries; the bandwidth could get expensive.

> [...]
>
> PS: You now have the information available to process CJ language sets
> in addition to Unicode. It took some digging which I made available
> here. Since I'm here the four Unicode code characters from my Rosetta
> Stone meaning Lapsang Souchong or Zhengshan Souchong

I think you mean Zhengshan Xiaozhong...

> from the NeoCathay post don't match the last character on Babelcarp.

Thanks for this. Babelcarp only had the traditional character for
Zhong; now it has the simplified one too.

> I'd suggest also returning the Unihan or Zhongwen link for each
> Unicode.

Why? It would just be a small amount of programming to add a Unihan
link, but I'm having trouble understanding why a user would want that.
Zhongwen doesn't seem to have as much coverage as Unihan, don't you
agree?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Space Cowboy

NeoCathay used both. You'll see the term Souchong used more than
Xiaozhong even though the characters are the same. I noticed my
characters for LS agreed with her characters for ZS since her
references didn't mention LS. I gave your new Unicode inquiry a whirl
too double check and that is the only reason I noted the difference so
maybe a programming clitch or as you found out Traditional versus
Simplified. The reason I'm fussing with the native language sets and
Unicode is because I don't have ANY fontsets loaded on this computer
which will be the case with most Westerners. In my case I don't want
to load massive CJ font sets just to see the glyphs for a few
characters about tea when I can backdoor to Unihan. I think it would
be a great addition if someone looks up the English word for tea and
you link them to Unihan or Zhongwen where they can see the glyph. I
like Zhongwen because I can plow down just too the graphic character
representation without the gooblegook of extraneous Unihan information.

Jim

Lewis Perin wrote:
> "Space Cowboy" > writes:

....I delete me and you...
> > Since I'm here the four Unicode code characters from my Rosetta
> > Stone meaning Lapsang Souchong or Zhengshan Souchong

> I think you mean Zhengshan Xiaozhong...
>
> > from the NeoCathay post don't match the last character on Babelcarp.

> Thanks for this. Babelcarp only had the traditional character for
> Zhong; now it has the simplified one too.
>
> > I'd suggest also returning the Unihan or Zhongwen link for each
> > Unicode.

> Why? It would just be a small amount of programming to add a Unihan
> link, but I'm having trouble understanding why a user would want that.
> Zhongwen doesn't seem to have as much coverage as Unihan, don't you
> agree?
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
stePH

Space Cowboy wrote:
> I think it would
> be a great addition if someone looks up the English word for tea

I'm no linguistics expert, but I think the word is "tea".

stePH
NP: Motor Totemist Guild, "Felis Felicific"

Geography James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 9 26-03-2011 10:58 AM
Sourdough Geography [email protected] Sourdough 4 01-08-2007 08:30 PM
FOOD GEOGRAPHY No Name General Cooking 1 25-07-2007 04:33 AM
Yunnan Tiocha or $1.49 Alex Chaihorsky Tea 2 27-10-2004 08:53 PM
Greetings from Yunnan Karsten Tea 4 07-10-2003 09:00 AM