FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   Tea Retailers in Ontario (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/73398-tea-retailers-ontario.html)

Maxim Voronov 03-11-2005 01:40 PM

Tea Retailers in Ontario

Hi All,

I recently moved to the Niagara Region of Ontario and am looking for
some good tea retailers. I don't mind traveling as far as Toronto
area. The only major retailer I know in the Toronto area is Capital
Tea, but they don't have too many oolongs, it seems. I am most
interested in Chinese and Taiwanese teas, and especially in oolongs.
Any recommendations?

Thanks a lot!

Maxim

Michael Plant 03-11-2005 01:57 PM

Tea Retailers in Ontario (and translation issues OT)

Maxim 11/3/05

> Hi All,
>
> I recently moved to the Niagara Region of Ontario and am looking for
> some good tea retailers. I don't mind traveling as far as Toronto
> area. The only major retailer I know in the Toronto area is Capital
> Tea, but they don't have too many oolongs, it seems. I am most
> interested in Chinese and Taiwanese teas, and especially in oolongs.
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Maxim

Maxim,

Damn, I had just read the first two lines of your post and then scampered
off to the Capital Tea web site to post their URL here for you. But, in your
next two lines, alas....

So, sorry I'm worthless in this endeavor. BTW, did you happen to read the
New Yorker article on English translations of Russian novels and if so what
did you think of it, and what do you think of the state of such translation
nowadays?

Sasha, are you there?

Michael

Scott Dorsey 03-11-2005 02:23 PM

Tea Retailers in Ontario

Maxim Voronov > wrote:

>I recently moved to the Niagara Region of Ontario and am looking for
>some good tea retailers. I don't mind traveling as far as Toronto
>area. The only major retailer I know in the Toronto area is Capital
>Tea, but they don't have too many oolongs, it seems. I am most
>interested in Chinese and Taiwanese teas, and especially in oolongs.
>Any recommendations?

I asked my friend in Kitchener and he suggests:

+Distinctly Tea is worth the drive from anywhere, but they do sell
+online. I might say they have too many herbals, but there are an awful lot
+of herbal possibilities. They have a great black selection. Many hundreds
+of loose teas. It's in Waterloo, and online at http://distinctlytea.com/
--scott

Maxim Voronov 04-11-2005 02:46 AM

Tea Retailers in Ontario (and translation issues OT)

Michael,

I think I will try Capital Teas one of these days, especially since
they seem to have a pretty good selection of Darjelings -- something I
should experiment with some more.

Sorry I haven't read the New Yorker article you mention.

Maxim

Maxim Voronov 04-11-2005 02:49 AM

Tea Retailers in Ontario

Thanks, Scott! They seem to have a nice selection. Kitchener is a bit
far from here (close to 2 hours). But I will have to check out that
area one of these days. So I will stop by Distinctly Tea.

Maxim

Michael Plant 04-11-2005 10:45 AM

Tea Retailers in Ontario (and translation issues OT)

Maxim 11/3/05

> Michael,
>
> I think I will try Capital Teas one of these days, especially since
> they seem to have a pretty good selection of Darjelings -- something I
> should experiment with some more.
>
> Sorry I haven't read the New Yorker article you mention.
>
> Maxim

Maxim,

Parenthetically, since you mention Darjeelings, the best source for them I
know in North America is Kyela Teas in Montreal.

On the translation bit, I'm looking for really good translations of
Dostoyevski.

Michael

niisonge 04-11-2005 03:35 PM

Tea Retailers in Ontario

> Any recommendations?

Why not try Chinatown in downtown Toronto? Ten Ren is there, and there
is another tea store called Fujian Brand Tea, Canada Ltd. on Spadina,
south of Dundas.

You could also try House of Tea at 1017 Yonge Street (near the Rosedale
subway station).

Maxim Voronov 07-11-2005 11:09 PM

Tea Retailers in Ontario

niisonge wrote:
> > Any recommendations?

> Why not try Chinatown in downtown Toronto? Ten Ren is there, and there
> is another tea store called Fujian Brand Tea, Canada Ltd. on Spadina,
> south of Dundas.
>
> You could also try House of Tea at 1017 Yonge Street (near the Rosedale
> subway station).

I am just starting to explore the Chinatown. Ten Ren in Canada is way
to expensive -- much more pricy than in the US. I'll have to check out
the Fujian Brand Tea. Sounds like they specialize in Mainland teas. I
have heard of House of Tea, and it's on my to see list next time I get
to Toronto.

Any places that carry good Taiwanese oolongs?

Maxim Voronov 07-11-2005 11:11 PM

Tea Retailers in Ontario (and translation issues OT)

Sorry, Michael. I have no idea which translations of Dostoyevski are
good ones....

Michael Plant 09-11-2005 11:24 AM

translation issues OT (and rou Gui)

Maxim 11/7/05

> Sorry, Michael. I have no idea which translations of Dostoyevski are
> good ones....

I've discovered Pevear and his good wife, V's, translations, and I'm
enjoying them.

Thanks, Maxim.

Michael

I'm drinking some Rou Gui (is that "North Star"?) which is pleasing enough,
a tiny bit metalic, not quite a yummy as a good Bai Ji Guan, Da Hong Po, or
Huang Guan Yin. That's my ever so humble opinion. But a nice WuYi is always
welcome.