Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Space Cowboy

Default Dadugang puerh or not?

The following wrapper is from Dadugang Dragon Garden Ecological tea
factory. It says so in English on the bottom of the wrapper. The
three large Traditional characters under the circle/tree logo mean
"Dragon Garden Ecological".
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ugangknown.jpg

The following wrapper is from Menghai tea factory. It says so in
English on the bottom of the wrapper. The three large Traditional
characters under the "Dragon" logo also mean "Dragon Garden Ecological"
plus they circle the wrapper border.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...gangunkown.jpg

So is "Dragon Garden Ecological" a location indicated on the Dadugang
and Menghai wrappers or the two factories somehow related? I've seen
other wrappers with "Dragon Garden Ecological" but never noted the
factories which I thought was synonymous with Dadugang.

Thanks,
Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
samarkand

Hmmm, lets see what the others have to say about this...

But one thing, the three big chinese characters do not say "Dragon Garden
Ecological".

They spell "Dragon Garden Label".

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> The following wrapper is from Dadugang Dragon Garden Ecological tea
> factory. It says so in English on the bottom of the wrapper. The
> three large Traditional characters under the circle/tree logo mean
> "Dragon Garden Ecological".
> http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ugangknown.jpg
>
> The following wrapper is from Menghai tea factory. It says so in
> English on the bottom of the wrapper. The three large Traditional
> characters under the "Dragon" logo also mean "Dragon Garden Ecological"
> plus they circle the wrapper border.
> http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...gangunkown.jpg
>
> So is "Dragon Garden Ecological" a location indicated on the Dadugang
> and Menghai wrappers or the two factories somehow related? I've seen
> other wrappers with "Dragon Garden Ecological" but never noted the
> factories which I thought was synonymous with Dadugang.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Space Cowboy

Thanks. The two characters for 'ecological' follow Dragon Garden in
the Chinese string with corresponding English translation at bottom of
the cake:

http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUn...codepoint=751F
http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUn...codepoint=6001

I aked before with no replies why do we see any English on any factory
wrapper for any puer product that is probably not intended for export.

Jim

samarkand wrote:
> Hmmm, lets see what the others have to say about this...
>
> But one thing, the three big chinese characters do not say "Dragon Garden
> Ecological".
>
> They spell "Dragon Garden Label".
>

> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > The following wrapper is from Dadugang Dragon Garden Ecological tea
> > factory. It says so in English on the bottom of the wrapper. The
> > three large Traditional characters under the circle/tree logo mean
> > "Dragon Garden Ecological".
> > http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ugangknown.jpg
> >
> > The following wrapper is from Menghai tea factory. It says so in
> > English on the bottom of the wrapper. The three large Traditional
> > characters under the "Dragon" logo also mean "Dragon Garden Ecological"
> > plus they circle the wrapper border.
> > http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...gangunkown.jpg
> >
> > So is "Dragon Garden Ecological" a location indicated on the Dadugang
> > and Menghai wrappers or the two factories somehow related? I've seen
> > other wrappers with "Dragon Garden Ecological" but never noted the
> > factories which I thought was synonymous with Dadugang.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
samarkand

> I aked before with no replies why do we see any English on any factory
> wrapper for any puer product that is probably not intended for export.

Curious. How do you surmise that the product is not intended for export?
If you can tell me this I can speculate the opposite for you.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Space Cowboy

The only puerh I see in Chinatown is specific Xiaguan packaging for
export and the ubiquitous China National Native Produce and Animal
By-Products Import Export Corporation. Most bricks I see are Chinese
only. Most beengs I see have English. I just don't see puer in
general leaving China via export companies except via China Post.

Jim

samarkand wrote:
> > I aked before with no replies why do we see any English on any factory
> > wrapper for any puer product that is probably not intended for export.
> >

> Curious. How do you surmise that the product is not intended for export?
> If you can tell me this I can speculate the opposite for you.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
samarkand

Logical deduction, but a little lineal, don't you think?

Perhaps the factory has an English educated boss who wishes to expand his
business globally?

Perhaps the factory has interested Western investors?

Perhaps the trading world of tea in China has expanded in a pace that the
Chinatown in your vicinity has not been able to catch up, that's why most
Chinatowns, including the ones I see in London and New York, have pu'er
stocks that may be considered commonplace?

Many of Six Famous Tea Mountain and Haiwan products have English labels on
them (at least for the company's name), whether they are meant for local
consumption or for export.

So goes the same for the Da Du Gang.

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> The only puerh I see in Chinatown is specific Xiaguan packaging for
> export and the ubiquitous China National Native Produce and Animal
> By-Products Import Export Corporation. Most bricks I see are Chinese
> only. Most beengs I see have English. I just don't see puer in
> general leaving China via export companies except via China Post.
>
> Jim
>
> samarkand wrote:
>> > I aked before with no replies why do we see any English on any factory
>> > wrapper for any puer product that is probably not intended for export.
>> >

>> Curious. How do you surmise that the product is not intended for export?
>> If you can tell me this I can speculate the opposite for you.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Space Cowboy

It just doesn't seem to me the Western consumer will ever get the
chance to choose between 6FTM and Menghai. The plethora of Engish just
doesn't add up beyond what would be an educated guess. I'd be
interested if anyone can find compressed commercial puer besides
Xiaguan or CNNP in their Chinatown which I can understand because of
the penny/gram price. I qualify "plethora" because there is plenty of
TaoBao auctions with Chinese only cake wrappers.

Jim

samarkand wrote:
> Logical deduction, but a little lineal, don't you think?
>
> Perhaps the factory has an English educated boss who wishes to expand his
> business globally?
>
> Perhaps the factory has interested Western investors?
>
> Perhaps the trading world of tea in China has expanded in a pace that the
> Chinatown in your vicinity has not been able to catch up, that's why most
> Chinatowns, including the ones I see in London and New York, have pu'er
> stocks that may be considered commonplace?
>
> Many of Six Famous Tea Mountain and Haiwan products have English labels on
> them (at least for the company's name), whether they are meant for local
> consumption or for export.
>
> So goes the same for the Da Du Gang.
>

> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > The only puerh I see in Chinatown is specific Xiaguan packaging for
> > export and the ubiquitous China National Native Produce and Animal
> > By-Products Import Export Corporation. Most bricks I see are Chinese
> > only. Most beengs I see have English. I just don't see puer in
> > general leaving China via export companies except via China Post.
> >
> > Jim

> >> Curious. How do you surmise that the product is not intended for export?
> >> If you can tell me this I can speculate the opposite for you.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin

Default English on wrapper (was Dadugang puerh or not?)

"Space Cowboy" > writes:

> It just doesn't seem to me the Western consumer will ever get the
> chance to choose between 6FTM and Menghai. The plethora of Engish just
> doesn't add up beyond what would be an educated guess. I'd be
> interested if anyone can find compressed commercial puer besides
> Xiaguan or CNNP in their Chinatown which I can understand because of
> the penny/gram price. I qualify "plethora" because there is plenty of
> TaoBao auctions with Chinese only cake wrappers.

The per-cake cost of putting a few English words on the wrapper is
vanishingly small. Why be surprised by this?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Space Cowboy

If I needed a corresponding Chinese description for a Western widget
I'd need a professional translator more than Babelfish each and
everytime something changed in Chinese. You could replace the English
for more Chinese. Remember the blemishes mean something. Why not any
other Western language. Maybe English is the standard language of
consumerism in China. I know English has replaced Russian as
international language of choice. Maybe it is historical SOP just
because. I am perplexed more than surprised.

Jim

Try Puerh Jimmie Houchin Tea 6 02-09-2005 08:49 PM
Loose green puerh and pressed teas that are not puerh. Mike Petro Tea 2 24-05-2005 12:31 PM
Is Puerh tea? crymad Tea 51 10-09-2004 03:04 PM
Poo Poo Puerh Mike Petro Tea 40 12-03-2004 02:44 AM
puerh.net Tom Tea 6 22-02-2004 07:32 PM