Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Bill

Default Southern Style "Sweet" Tea...

Can someone offer a simple recipe for brewing "pre-sweetened" tea
suitable for "Iced Tea"? Also, should the tea be "loose" or "bags"? Is
there a special utensil used for brewing loose tea leaves?

Bill

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
jenandcleo

Authentic Southern sweet tea is made with Luzianne tea bags. Just
follow the instructions on the box. The amount/type of sugar you use is
a personal preference, but Southerners generally add as much a 1 cup
white sugar to a quart of tea. That's why I always order my tea
half-and-half (half sweet, half unsweet). Add a squeeze of lemon before
serving.

Jennifer

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Bill

On 30 Oct 2005 05:14:21 -0800, "jenandcleo" >
wrote:

>Authentic Southern sweet tea is made with Luzianne tea bags. Just
>follow the instructions on the box. The amount/type of sugar you use is
>a personal preference, but Southerners generally add as much a 1 cup
>white sugar to a quart of tea. That's why I always order my tea
>half-and-half (half sweet, half unsweet). Add a squeeze of lemon before
>serving.
>
>Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer!
I'll try it!
Bill

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Space Cowboy

My gradma's old south iced tea:
1. Hour before dinner
2. Boil water in gallon cooking pot
3. Turn off heat
4. Add Lipton's tea to coat surface for strong brew
5. Add crystals of unrefined sugar cane to gallon pitcher
6. When tea surface is clear, strain into pitcher
7. Stir occasionally
8. Before dinner fill glasses from ice tray
9. Serve warm to dilute tea

My sister-in-law new south iced tea:
1. Add Liptons's formulated ice brew tea bags to pitcher of water from
faucet
2. Let sit in refrigerator during afternoon for dinner
3. Glasses get spritz of ice from refrigerator door
4. Sugar is added at table

Jim

Bill wrote:
> Can someone offer a simple recipe for brewing "pre-sweetened" tea
> suitable for "Iced Tea"? Also, should the tea be "loose" or "bags"? Is
> there a special utensil used for brewing loose tea leaves?
>
> Bill

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

My grandma uses Red Rose brand tea bags. She makes a pot that's about
1 quart with 5 tea bags (I might be off on the volume) and steeps it
until it's quite strong. She adds sugar before letting the pot cool.
She pours the tea into a glass full of ice cubes to serve it. I think
she may dilute it with water if she puts it away in the refrigerator.

I always use loose leaves when I make hot tea, but I don't think it
matters as much for cold tea with lots of sugar.

Jason