stePH

Default Anybody tried this?

>From the Tao of Tea web site's "Sencha" listings:

For 'hot tea' style, rinse and warm teapot with hot water then add
enough tea to cover the bottom (usually a large teaspoon full for a 6
to 8 ounce teapot). Add a small amount of hot water (around 160 F),
just enough to cover the leaf, replace the lid and allow the leaf to
absorb the water forming a small 'pad' (20 to 30 seconds). Then fill
teapot with more hot water and steep for just 5 to 10 seconds and poor.
This style works well with stronger, full bodied Japanese teas such as
deep-steam sencha and late harvest sencha. It provides a hot,
full-flavored cup, drawing out the herbaceous, oceanic qualities of the
tea.

For 'sweet tea' style the first two steps are the same but instead of
hot water, use room temperature or cool water to cover and moisten the
leaf. After the leaf has absorbed the cool water (30 to 45 seconds),
add mildly hot water (120 to 140 F) and steep for a little less than a
minute. This style emphasizes the subtler, sweeter, floral qualities of
the tea and provides many infusions. Because the tea steeps so slowly,
different subtleties and aromas come out in each successive infusion.
This style works best with fine sencha and gyokuro.

stePH
tried "sweet" last night with ToT's gyokuro
--
GoogleGroups licks balls.

Falky foo

hmm I'm wondering what that would do differently

"stePH" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> >From the Tao of Tea web site's "Sencha" listings:

> For 'hot tea' style, rinse and warm teapot with hot water then add
> enough tea to cover the bottom (usually a large teaspoon full for a 6
> to 8 ounce teapot). Add a small amount of hot water (around 160 F),

Lewis Perin

"Falky foo" > writes:

> "stePH" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > >From the Tao of Tea web site's "Sencha" listings:

> > For 'hot tea' style, rinse and warm teapot with hot water then add
> > enough tea to cover the bottom (usually a large teaspoon full for a 6
> > to 8 ounce teapot). Add a small amount of hot water (around 160 F),

> hmm I'm wondering what that would do differently

Not that I've tried it, but it sounds like the equivalent of the
Chinese practice of doing a quick rinse and waiting a minute before
brewing the first gongfu steep. The (nearly always unstated) theory
being that, once the leaves are well hydrated, you can flush the
liquor out of them rapidly.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
pilo_

In article >,
Lewis Perin > wrote:

> The (nearly always unstated) theory
> being that, once the leaves are well hydrated, you can flush the
> liquor out of them rapidly.

Flush the liquor out of the leaves? Wouldn't leave you with
much liquid.
Lewis Perin

pilo_ > writes:

> In article >,
> Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> > The (nearly always unstated) theory
> > being that, once the leaves are well hydrated, you can flush the
> > liquor out of them rapidly.

> Flush the liquor out of the leaves? Wouldn't leave you with
> much liquid.

I should have said "zavarka", not "liquor", right, Sasha?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

crymad

stePH wrote:
>> From the Tao of Tea web site's "Sencha" listings:

> For 'hot tea' style, rinse and warm teapot with hot water then
> add enough tea to cover the bottom (usually a large teaspoon
> full for a 6 to 8 ounce teapot). Add a small amount of hot
> water (around 160 F), just enough to cover the leaf, replace
> the lid and allow the leaf to absorb the water forming a small
> 'pad' (20 to 30 seconds). Then fill teapot with more hot water
> and steep for just 5 to 10 seconds and pour.

Well, this isn't too different than my regular brewing style. I
always warm and rinse my teapot before adding Sencha, and
a small amount of hot water always remains. I put my dry tea
in, and by the time the temperature of the water is checked, it
will have sat in the hot puddle about 30 seconds. But then again,
after the pot is filled with hot water, the tea steeps for the
normal 60 seconds or so.

> For 'sweet tea' style the first two steps are the same but
> instead of hot water, use room temperature or cool water to
> cover and moisten the leaf. After the leaf has absorbed the
> cool water (30 to 45 seconds), add mildly hot water (120 to 140
> F) and steep for a little less than a minute. This style
> emphasizes the subtler, sweeter, floral qualities of the tea
> and provides many infusions. Because the tea steeps so slowly,
> different subtleties and aromas come out in each successive
> infusion. This style works best with fine sencha and gyokuro.

This might work pretty good. But for a real "sweet" style, I'd
rather just steep in room temperature water for 30-60 minutes,
sparing the tea the agony of a hot bath altogether.

--crymad

stePH

crymad wrote:
> stePH wrote:
> >> From the Tao of Tea web site's "Sencha" listings:

> > For 'sweet tea' style the first two steps are the same but
> > instead of hot water, use room temperature or cool water to
> > cover and moisten the leaf. After the leaf has absorbed the
> > cool water (30 to 45 seconds), add mildly hot water (120 to 140
> > F) and steep for a little less than a minute. This style
> > emphasizes the subtler, sweeter, floral qualities of the tea
> > and provides many infusions. Because the tea steeps so slowly,
> > different subtleties and aromas come out in each successive
> > infusion. This style works best with fine sencha and gyokuro.

> This might work pretty good. But for a real "sweet" style, I'd
> rather just steep in room temperature water for 30-60 minutes,
> sparing the tea the agony of a hot bath altogether.

I find it's pretty good. I'd try it your way, but I don't think I have
the patience :-) it's bad enough waiting for the dispenser water to
cool down from the 170 that it comes out at. Besides, 120-140 degrees
is almost cool enough to pour over your skin and not burn (well,
140-degree water gives third-degree burns in a second or two, but at
130 degrees it takes a half a minute.)

I've been doing it at just under 140; I'll try it ten or fifteen
degrees cooler next time. The hardest thing to get used to is the tea
not being hot when I drink it. Normally I'm over halfway done with the
cup before it's this cool.

stePH
--
GoogleGroups licks balls.

stePH

Lewis Perin wrote:
> "Falky foo" > writes:
> >
> > "stePH" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> > >
> > > For 'hot tea' style, rinse and warm teapot with hot water then add
> > > enough tea to cover the bottom (usually a large teaspoon full for a 6
> > > to 8 ounce teapot). Add a small amount of hot water (around 160 F),

> > hmm I'm wondering what that would do differently

> Not that I've tried it, but it sounds like the equivalent of the
> Chinese practice of doing a quick rinse and waiting a minute before
> brewing the first gongfu steep. The (nearly always unstated) theory
> being that, once the leaves are well hydrated, you can flush the
> liquor out of them rapidly.

I was actually asking about the "sweet" style method. I just included
the "hot" style instructions because the "sweet" method refers back to
the initial stages.

stePH
--
GoogleGroups licks balls.

stePH

Default The cat prefers sencha [was Anyone Tried This?]

crymad wrote:

> ... But for a real "sweet" style, I'd rather just steep
> [Japanese sencha] in room temperature water for 30-60 minutes,
> sparing the tea the agony of a hot bath altogether.

I dropped a pinch of sencha into one of my cats' water bowls the other
day, and caught one of them drinking from that bowl rather than the
bowl of untainted water right next to it. Haven't yet observed which
one the others prefer.

stePH
--
GoogleGroups licks balls.

crymad

stePH wrote:

> I dropped a pinch of sencha into one of my cats' water bowls
> the other day, and caught one of them drinking from that bowl
> rather than the bowl of untainted water right next to it.
> Haven't yet observed which one the others prefer.

Our pet rats used to love Sencha. I'd dip my finger into my
teacup, and they'd eagerly lick off every last drop.

--crymad

Steve Hay

stePH wrote:
> I dropped a pinch of sencha into one of my cats' water bowls the other
> day, and caught one of them drinking from that bowl rather than the
> bowl of untainted water right next to it. Haven't yet observed which
> one the others prefer.

I've not done this, but I've considered it. Heh.
toci

More like grass sweetened water from the wild? I think I'll try it
with Felix. Toci
stePH wrote:
> crymad wrote:
> >
> > ... But for a real "sweet" style, I'd rather just steep
> > [Japanese sencha] in room temperature water for 30-60 minutes,
> > sparing the tea the agony of a hot bath altogether.

> I dropped a pinch of sencha into one of my cats' water bowls the other
> day, and caught one of them drinking from that bowl rather than the
> bowl of untainted water right next to it. Haven't yet observed which
> one the others prefer.
>

> stePH
> --
> GoogleGroups licks balls.

Marlene Wood

Default The cat prefers sencha (but what about the rats and mice?)

*gestures to the waiter* Check Please!

> The mice are, of course, fooling you into thinking you are studying
> them, when, in fact, they will be studying you to figure out why the
> answer is 42.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord,
> make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." -- Voltaire

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
toci

I gave a pouchong second steep in lukewarm water to Felix. I got a
"are you trying to poison me?" look in return. I'll report on a sensha
try when I make one. Toci
stePH wrote:
> crymad wrote:
> >
> > ... But for a real "sweet" style, I'd rather just steep
> > [Japanese sencha] in room temperature water for 30-60 minutes,
> > sparing the tea the agony of a hot bath altogether.

> I dropped a pinch of sencha into one of my cats' water bowls the other
> day, and caught one of them drinking from that bowl rather than the
> bowl of untainted water right next to it. Haven't yet observed which
> one the others prefer.
>

> stePH
> --
> GoogleGroups licks balls.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
stePH

toci wrote:
> I gave a pouchong second steep in lukewarm water to Felix. I got a
> "are you trying to poison me?" look in return. I'll report on a sensha
> try when I make one. Toci

Pouchong is unknown to me.

stePH
--
GoogleGroups licks balls.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

stePH wrote:
> >From the Tao of Tea web site's "Sencha" listings:

> For 'hot tea' style, rinse and warm teapot with hot water then add
> enough tea to cover the bottom (usually a large teaspoon full for a 6
> to 8 ounce teapot). Add a small amount of hot water (around 160 F),
> just enough to cover the leaf, replace the lid and allow the leaf to
> absorb the water forming a small 'pad' (20 to 30 seconds). Then fill
> teapot with more hot water and steep for just 5 to 10 seconds and poor.
> This style works well with stronger, full bodied Japanese teas such as
> deep-steam sencha and late harvest sencha. It provides a hot,
> full-flavored cup, drawing out the herbaceous, oceanic qualities of the
> tea.
>
> For 'sweet tea' style the first two steps are the same but instead of
> hot water, use room temperature or cool water to cover and moisten the
> leaf. After the leaf has absorbed the cool water (30 to 45 seconds),
> add mildly hot water (120 to 140 F) and steep for a little less than a
> minute. This style emphasizes the subtler, sweeter, floral qualities of
> the tea and provides many infusions. Because the tea steeps so slowly,
> different subtleties and aromas come out in each successive infusion.
> This style works best with fine sencha and gyokuro.
>

> stePH
> tried "sweet" last night with ToT's gyokuro
> --
> GoogleGroups licks balls.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
toci

A light fermented oolong, sometimes classified in with the greens.
Toci
stePH wrote:
> toci wrote:
> > I gave a pouchong second steep in lukewarm water to Felix. I got a
> > "are you trying to poison me?" look in return. I'll report on a sensha
> > try when I make one. Toci

> Pouchong is unknown to me.
>

> stePH
> --
> GoogleGroups licks balls.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
stePH

toci wrote:
[Pouchong is]
> A light fermented oolong, sometimes classified in with the greens.

Is that anything like Se Chung? I get that at Wild Oats aka Natures.

stePH
--
GoogleGroups licks balls.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
toci

Looks like Pouchong and Se Chung should be similar, but Pouchung is
Taiwanese and Se Chung is Chinese. They're both Oolongs who find it
not easy being green. Question is, does your cat like either one?
(Leach the caffeine out first.) Toci
stePH wrote:
> toci wrote:
> [Pouchong is]
> > A light fermented oolong, sometimes classified in with the greens.

> Is that anything like Se Chung? I get that at Wild Oats aka Natures.
>

> stePH
> --
> GoogleGroups licks balls.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Michael Plant

Default Pouchong [was: The cat prefers sencha]

[Michael, working backwards here]
It's processed in beautiful emerald green leaf, rolled and
twisted longly lengthwise, not balled and fisted at all. At
best, it's got a fine melon-flower aftertaste and a lovely
fresh aroma. It is a product of Taiwan, again at best.
That's my take on Bao Zhong (Pouchong).

[Toci]
> A light fermented oolong, sometimes classified in with the greens.
> Toci

[StePH]