Robert W. King

Default 'Skiin' in tea?

Hi folks!

I recently moved. Where I lived previously, my water supply was from my own
well which supplied good sweet water that made superior tea with whatever
variety I chose. Where I now live, the water is supplied by the city
waterworks. It seems to be a bit harder (more calcium, etc) than my well
water was. The tea I've brewed (using the same pot, method and times) still
tastes pretty good, but I'm noticing that the surface of the tea soon
acquires a dark brown 'skin' that tends to stick to the sides of the pot or
the cup. Am I correct in suspecting the differences in water is responsible
for the 'skin'? Can anyone recommend techniques for preventing or minimizing
the skin?

--
Robert W. King
I'm an ingenieur, NOT a bloody locomotive driver!

toci

Type "hard water" in the search bar for this group. There's a lot of
information there. Toci
Robert W. King wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I recently moved. Where I lived previously, my water supply was from my own
> well which supplied good sweet water that made superior tea with whatever
> variety I chose. Where I now live, the water is supplied by the city
> waterworks. It seems to be a bit harder (more calcium, etc) than my well
> water was. The tea I've brewed (using the same pot, method and times) still
> tastes pretty good, but I'm noticing that the surface of the tea soon
> acquires a dark brown 'skin' that tends to stick to the sides of the pot or
> the cup. Am I correct in suspecting the differences in water is responsible
> for the 'skin'? Can anyone recommend techniques for preventing or minimizing
> the skin?
>
> --
> Robert W. King
> I'm an ingenieur, NOT a bloody locomotive driver!
> SnailNet: 19023 TV Tower Rd, Winslow, Arkansas 72959
> BellNet: 479-634-2086
> InterNet:
> Web site:
http://www.wildweasel.net

Scott Dorsey

Robert W. King > wrote:

>I recently moved. Where I lived previously, my water supply was from my own
>well which supplied good sweet water that made superior tea with whatever
>variety I chose. Where I now live, the water is supplied by the city
>waterworks. It seems to be a bit harder (more calcium, etc) than my well
>water was. The tea I've brewed (using the same pot, method and times) still
>tastes pretty good, but I'm noticing that the surface of the tea soon
>acquires a dark brown 'skin' that tends to stick to the sides of the pot or
>the cup. Am I correct in suspecting the differences in water is responsible
>for the 'skin'? Can anyone recommend techniques for preventing or minimizing
>the skin?

I bet a nickel you got excessive iron in your water. Get it tested.
Around here, Southern States will do free water testing.

There are some effective reverse-osmosis filters to deal with this, which
are sold to the photo lab industry. There are several heavy metals, and
iron is a big offender, that really screw up the Kodak color developer
action.

Or you can just use bottled water for tea.
--scott

Falky foo

use Fiji water.. very soft

"Robert W. King" > wrote in message
> Hi folks!
>
> I recently moved. Where I lived previously, my water supply was from my

own
> well which supplied good sweet water that made superior tea with whatever
> variety I chose. Where I now live, the water is supplied by the city
> waterworks. It seems to be a bit harder (more calcium, etc) than my well
> water was. The tea I've brewed (using the same pot, method and times)

still
> tastes pretty good, but I'm noticing that the surface of the tea soon
> acquires a dark brown 'skin' that tends to stick to the sides of the pot

or
> the cup. Am I correct in suspecting the differences in water is

responsible
> for the 'skin'? Can anyone recommend techniques for preventing or

minimizing
> the skin?
>
> --
> Robert W. King
> I'm an ingenieur, NOT a bloody locomotive driver!
> SnailNet: 19023 TV Tower Rd, Winslow, Arkansas 72959
> BellNet: 479-634-2086
> InterNet:
> Web site:
http://www.wildweasel.net

Kitty

Get a brita or other water filter. I finally decided it was worth the
money when I realized that the clorine in the water was making my tea
smell like dead fish. OLD dead fish. it takes out iron as well, I am
sure it will help you.

Kitty

http://www.wildweasel.net