samarkand

Huh?

You are working yourself into a rut.

DA4 can also be taken to mean "famous" & "important, main", why not?

DA4 REN2 WU4, means famous and important person.

Danny

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Famous isn't obvious here when used with 6FTM. It should be MING2 PAI2
> as in famous brand but instead DA4 when used with mountain. It took
> most of the day to figure out why famous was leading to a deadend.
>
> http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...fPics/6ftm.jpg
>
> Jim
>
> Lewis Perin wrote:
>> "Space Cowboy" > writes:
>>
>> > My first PhotoBucket image:
>> > http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ciousflame.jpg
>> >
>> > These are the characters lifted from my XG Tibetan Mushroom package.
>> > The first two are Bao Yan or Precious Flame but the third?

>> Sorry to be anticlimactic, but the third character is Pai, as in Sign
>> or Placard or Brand.
>>
>> /Lew
>> ---
>> Lew Perin /

Space Cowboy

I'm just a poor lowai using online dictionaries like Zhongwen or
Mandarintools which use MING2 for famous. I stumbled across this
connotation used with mountain when famous brand and famous mountain
didn't match up. I found famous mountain in the Unicode definition for
DA4 which suggest alternative uses for the word BIG.

Jim

samarkand wrote:
> Huh?
>
> You are working yourself into a rut.
>
> DA4 can also be taken to mean "famous" & "important, main", why not?
>
> DA4 REN2 WU4, means famous and important person.
>
> Danny
>
> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Famous isn't obvious here when used with 6FTM. It should be MING2 PAI2
> > as in famous brand but instead DA4 when used with mountain. It took
> > most of the day to figure out why famous was leading to a deadend.
> >
> > http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...fPics/6ftm.jpg
> >
> > Jim

> >> Sorry to be anticlimactic, but the third character is Pai, as in Sign
> >> or Placard or Brand.
> >>
> >> /Lew
> >> ---
> >> Lew Perin /

Space Cowboy

This is a Xiaguan wrapper prior 2004 with the Zhong Emblem which I can
find in Chinatown. You can only know it is Xiaguan because the
blemishes have been identified elsewhere as such. See a previous
thread about Xiaguan Iron Cake. This is the cooked I almost like.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...before2004.jpg

This is the Xiaguan wrapper after 2004 with the Crane emblem. My
Chinatown is still selling their old wrapper.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...nafter2004.jpg

Jim

samarkand wrote:
> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> ups.com...

> > So the Crane emblem on a XG tuocha isn't an anachronism when the
> > production date on the bottom of the box says Jan 2000? I'm not going
> > to worry about it but someone in the know pointed to an article saying
> > the Crane emblem was first used by XG in 2003/4.

> There may be a misreading somewhere... The Crane Emblem was used on TUOCHA
> since 1992, the Crane Emblem was used on BINGCHA only from Dec 2003 - some
> said early 2004. Hope this clears up the issue for you.
>
> Danny

samarkand

Hi Jim,

I think there's still a little confusion here.

What you are talking about is BINGCHA - the emblem changed from Zhongcha Pai
to Crane IN 2004.

What was discussed once is about TUOCHA - the emblem changed from Zhongcha
Pai to Crane IN 1992.

Did you mention Cooked Iron Cake? Xiaguan didn't produce many series of
cooked iron cakes, the picture you had looks very much like the 8603 cooked
iron cake produced in 2003.

The Crane emblem cake you showed is more confusing. In all appearance it
looks like the 8673 cake produced this year. However, from what I know, all
cakes produced with the line of code on the left in small red print, and the
green words "Yunnan Sheng Zhu Ming Shang Biao" (A famous brand from Yunnan)
over the crane emblem, the big red characters framing the top and bottom of
the cake should be in SIMPLE characters.

Wrappers without the code on the left and the green words under the crane
emblem would have the big red framing characters in FANG TI, or complex
characters.

Do you have the inside of the two cakes with the stickers to show?

Danny

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> This is a Xiaguan wrapper prior 2004 with the Zhong Emblem which I can
> find in Chinatown. You can only know it is Xiaguan because the
> blemishes have been identified elsewhere as such. See a previous
> thread about Xiaguan Iron Cake. This is the cooked I almost like.
>
> http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...before2004.jpg
>
> This is the Xiaguan wrapper after 2004 with the Crane emblem. My
> Chinatown is still selling their old wrapper.
>
> http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...nafter2004.jpg
>
> Jim
>
> samarkand wrote:
>> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>> > So the Crane emblem on a XG tuocha isn't an anachronism when the
>> > production date on the bottom of the box says Jan 2000? I'm not going
>> > to worry about it but someone in the know pointed to an article saying
>> > the Crane emblem was first used by XG in 2003/4.

>> There may be a misreading somewhere... The Crane Emblem was used on
>> TUOCHA
>> since 1992, the Crane Emblem was used on BINGCHA only from Dec 2003 -
>> some
>> said early 2004. Hope this clears up the issue for you.
>>
>> Danny

Space Cowboy

I should have cut my comment on the tuocha and just left in your
comment on the XG BINGCHA zhong/crane 2004 demarcation year (I just did
that). I have the one with the Zhongcha from Chinatown. From one of
the Chinese sites my captured graphic indicates XG Iron Cake from 2003.
I'm sure the blemishes match mine. There is a Zhongcha sticker with
YunnanSheng XiaGuan ChaChang Chupin in Chinese printed across the
bottom. The Crane Emblem I think is this year from one of the Chinese
auction sites. I showed mine with the Zhongcha and what I should
expect one of these days in Chinatown with the Crane. If the cooked
2003 XG Iron Cake was a limited run I'll make another trip to Chinatown
to stock up.

Jim

samarkand wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> I think there's still a little confusion here.
>
> What you are talking about is BINGCHA - the emblem changed from Zhongcha Pai
> to Crane IN 2004.
>
> What was discussed once is about TUOCHA - the emblem changed from Zhongcha
> Pai to Crane IN 1992.
>
> Did you mention Cooked Iron Cake? Xiaguan didn't produce many series of
> cooked iron cakes, the picture you had looks very much like the 8603 cooked
> iron cake produced in 2003.
>
> The Crane emblem cake you showed is more confusing. In all appearance it
> looks like the 8673 cake produced this year. However, from what I know, all
> cakes produced with the line of code on the left in small red print, and the
> green words "Yunnan Sheng Zhu Ming Shang Biao" (A famous brand from Yunnan)
> over the crane emblem, the big red characters framing the top and bottom of
> the cake should be in SIMPLE characters.
>
> Wrappers without the code on the left and the green words under the crane
> emblem would have the big red framing characters in FANG TI, or complex
> characters.
>
> Do you have the inside of the two cakes with the stickers to show?
>
> Danny
>

> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > This is a Xiaguan wrapper prior 2004 with the Zhong Emblem which I can
> > find in Chinatown. You can only know it is Xiaguan because the
> > blemishes have been identified elsewhere as such. See a previous
> > thread about Xiaguan Iron Cake. This is the cooked I almost like.
> >
> > http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...before2004.jpg
> >
> > This is the Xiaguan wrapper after 2004 with the Crane emblem. My
> > Chinatown is still selling their old wrapper.
> >
> > http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...nafter2004.jpg
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > samarkand wrote:
> >> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> >> ups.com...

....snipped...
> >> the Crane Emblem was used on BINGCHA only from Dec 2003 -
> >> some
> >> said early 2004. Hope this clears up the issue for you.
> >>
> >> Danny

samarkand

If it is the 8603, it isn't limited. First production in 2003. Xiaguan is
better known for its uncooked tea than the cooked ones. Somehow their
processing has yet to match Menghai. Unfortunately I don't think it is the
8603 cake - the sticker inside has a 'G' for a logo...

This is how the code 8673 cake should look like, which is different from the
one shown. Suspicious, I won't go for it until I can find out the reason
for the difference.

http://www.xgtea.com/pub/showimg.asp...p=p&imgcount=0

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I should have cut my comment on the tuocha and just left in your
> comment on the XG BINGCHA zhong/crane 2004 demarcation year (I just did
> that). I have the one with the Zhongcha from Chinatown. From one of
> the Chinese sites my captured graphic indicates XG Iron Cake from 2003.
> I'm sure the blemishes match mine. There is a Zhongcha sticker with
> YunnanSheng XiaGuan ChaChang Chupin in Chinese printed across the
> bottom. The Crane Emblem I think is this year from one of the Chinese
> auction sites. I showed mine with the Zhongcha and what I should
> expect one of these days in Chinatown with the Crane. If the cooked
> 2003 XG Iron Cake was a limited run I'll make another trip to Chinatown
> to stock up.
>
> Jim
>
> samarkand wrote:
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> I think there's still a little confusion here.
>>
>> What you are talking about is BINGCHA - the emblem changed from Zhongcha
>> Pai
>> to Crane IN 2004.
>>
>> What was discussed once is about TUOCHA - the emblem changed from
>> Zhongcha
>> Pai to Crane IN 1992.
>>
>> Did you mention Cooked Iron Cake? Xiaguan didn't produce many series of
>> cooked iron cakes, the picture you had looks very much like the 8603
>> cooked
>> iron cake produced in 2003.
>>
>> The Crane emblem cake you showed is more confusing. In all appearance it
>> looks like the 8673 cake produced this year. However, from what I know,
>> all
>> cakes produced with the line of code on the left in small red print, and
>> the
>> green words "Yunnan Sheng Zhu Ming Shang Biao" (A famous brand from
>> Yunnan)
>> over the crane emblem, the big red characters framing the top and bottom
>> of
>> the cake should be in SIMPLE characters.
>>
>> Wrappers without the code on the left and the green words under the crane
>> emblem would have the big red framing characters in FANG TI, or complex
>> characters.
>>
>> Do you have the inside of the two cakes with the stickers to show?
>>
>> Danny
>>

>> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > This is a Xiaguan wrapper prior 2004 with the Zhong Emblem which I can
>> > find in Chinatown. You can only know it is Xiaguan because the
>> > blemishes have been identified elsewhere as such. See a previous
>> > thread about Xiaguan Iron Cake. This is the cooked I almost like.
>> >
>> > http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...before2004.jpg
>> >
>> > This is the Xiaguan wrapper after 2004 with the Crane emblem. My
>> > Chinatown is still selling their old wrapper.
>> >
>> > http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...nafter2004.jpg
>> >
>> > Jim

> ...snipped...

Space Cowboy

Gee, no G. Can anyone drill down to the 2003 8603 and show the url? I
don't know why XGTEA wants me to allow them to run ActiveX just to look
at some pictures.

Thanks,
Jim