Dada

Default Mate

Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good.
I would like to know if any one of you have some experience with this
kind of infusion. I know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink
should like it.
About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction
are not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in
Brasil to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a
poor, simple tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss
(it is written on the package) used an handful of it for one person. I
poured it by rough estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I
made a good mate. How many tea spoons do you use usually?
The MATE I bought has broken lieves inside: any quality has so? Do you
know any site or book about this drink?
I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't.
Thanks
Derek

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:30:21 GMT, Dada wrote:

> Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good.
> I would like to know if any one of you have some experience with this
> kind of infusion. I know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink
> should like it.
> About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction
> are not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in
> Brasil to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a
> poor, simple tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss
> (it is written on the package) used an handful of it for one person. I
> poured it by rough estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I
> made a good mate. How many tea spoons do you use usually?
> The MATE I bought has broken lieves inside: any quality has so? Do you
> know any site or book about this drink?
> I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't.
> Thanks

Mate is traditionally consumed from a gourd (pumpkin) through a
bombilla (straw with a filter screen at the bottom).
Traditionally/historically, bombillas were wooden. These days, they're
mostly metal.

The gourd is filled 3/4 full with loose mate, sometimes sugar, and
then topped off with boiling water. It is then consumed through the
bombilla, which keeps the leaves in the gourd. When the mate water is
completely drained, more water is added. This process is repeated
several times with no appreciable decrease in flavor - although the
steeping time gets longer. (at least that's my experience).

As you noted, the amount used is typically dependent upon the size of
the container. And it's likely that, outside of a gourd, you're not
going to do the heavy infusions that are traditionally consumed.

You already answered to your own question, in my opinion. You said
your mate tasted good. If it tastes good to you, that's what really
counts. It may not be the typical way of making it, but it works for
you.

Otherwise, you'll need to get yourself a gourd and bombilla and try it
the "traditional" way.

You can find more information at: http://www.noborders.net/mate/

--
Derek

The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly.
Dada

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:35:15 -0400, Derek > wrote:

Yes, I agree with you. The only doubt I had was if I have tried the
real taste of MATE or not. Maybe it can be a nonsense question, but
thinking to green tea it cannot. If you try a Sencha using boiling
water, it's probable you won't obtain the real Sencha taste. Isn't
true?
How many time have you repeated infusion without loosing quality?
I think I am going in the Amazonic forest to take my gourd and cut it
in the right way to drink MATE. Maybe it would be simplier to buy it.
How did you got it? Did you found the gourd and bombilla in some tea
store?

>On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:30:21 GMT, Dada wrote:
>
>> Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good.
>> I would like to know if any one of you have some experience with this
>> kind of infusion. I know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink
>> should like it.
>> About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction
>> are not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in
>> Brasil to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a
>> poor, simple tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss
>> (it is written on the package) used an handful of it for one person. I
>> poured it by rough estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I
>> made a good mate. How many tea spoons do you use usually?
>> The MATE I bought has broken lieves inside: any quality has so? Do you
>> know any site or book about this drink?
>> I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't.
>> Thanks

>Mate is traditionally consumed from a gourd (pumpkin) through a
>bombilla (straw with a filter screen at the bottom).
>Traditionally/historically, bombillas were wooden. These days, they're
>mostly metal.
>
>The gourd is filled 3/4 full with loose mate, sometimes sugar, and
>then topped off with boiling water. It is then consumed through the
>bombilla, which keeps the leaves in the gourd. When the mate water is
>completely drained, more water is added. This process is repeated
>several times with no appreciable decrease in flavor - although the
>steeping time gets longer. (at least that's my experience).
>
>As you noted, the amount used is typically dependent upon the size of
>the container. And it's likely that, outside of a gourd, you're not
>going to do the heavy infusions that are traditionally consumed.
>
>You already answered to your own question, in my opinion. You said
>your mate tasted good. If it tastes good to you, that's what really
>counts. It may not be the typical way of making it, but it works for
>you.
>
>Otherwise, you'll need to get yourself a gourd and bombilla and try it
>the "traditional" way.
>
>You can find more information at: http://www.noborders.net/mate/

Derek

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 16:25:23 GMT, Dada wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:35:15 -0400, Derek > wrote:
>
> Yes, I agree with you. The only doubt I had was if I have tried the
> real taste of MATE or not. Maybe it can be a nonsense question, but
> thinking to green tea it cannot. If you try a Sencha using boiling
> water, it's probable you won't obtain the real Sencha taste. Isn't
> true?

True. My experience with Mate was with a friend who brought it up to
the US from Argentina. He had his own gourd and bombilla.

> How many time have you repeated infusion without loosing quality?

I think we got three refills of the gourd before my friend restocked
it.

> I think I am going in the Amazonic forest to take my gourd and cut it
> in the right way to drink MATE. Maybe it would be simplier to buy it.
> How did you got it? Did you found the gourd and bombilla in some tea
> store?

I think it's simpler to buy it. You can probably find it online by
searching for bombilla. Here's one, for example (I searched on
bombilla mate gourd):

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/dr...7/?cpg=froogle

Derek

--
Derek

"An honor is not diminished for being shared." -- Lois McMaster Bujold
("Shards of Honor", 1986)
danube

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:30:21 +0000, Dada wrote:

> Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good. I would like to
> know if any one of you have some experience with this kind of infusion. I
> know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink should like it.
> About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction are
> not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in Brasil
> to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a poor, simple
> tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss (it is written on
> the package) used an handful of it for one person. I poured it by rough
> estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I made a good mate. How
> many tea spoons do you use usually? The MATE I bought has broken lieves
> inside: any quality has so? Do you know any site or book about this drink?
> I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't. Thanks

Mate comes as green and as roasted tea. The green one is drunk from a
gourd and filter-straw, the roasted one is much like a black tea. The
green one is quickly bitter. Thr roasted Mate has flakey leaves, about 1 -
3mm in diameter. It is mainly drunk with sugar.

JB

Un Known

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:30:21 +0000, Dada wrote:

> Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good. I would like to
> know if any one of you have some experience with this kind of infusion. I
> know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink should like it.
> About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction are
> not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in Brasil
> to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a poor, simple
> tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss (it is written on
> the package) used an handful of it for one person. I poured it by rough
> estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I made a good mate. How
> many tea spoons do you use usually? The MATE I bought has broken lieves
> inside: any quality has so? Do you know any site or book about this drink?
> I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't. Thanks

For some real good yerba mate, and information, check out
www.guayaki.com. You can probably find their tea bags and bulk mate at you
local natural food co-op or at Whole Foods, places like that.

It's shade-grown, in the rainforest. It's better. Not that mate, in the
gourd, in a traditional way is something that will appeal to everyone.
It's certainly not anywhere near as tasty as good tea is, but it is a
traditional drink, and there is a history and a culture behind it, and
studies have shown that mate has all the necessary nutrients in it to
sustain life. It's a food, not just a beverage.

The active ingredient is called mateine, which is a close relative to
caffeine.

It is said to energize the cerebral cortex. In any case, less precise
analysis of the caffeine content detects mateine as caffeine, and there is
750-1000mg in each gourd (if you fill up the gourd 1/2 way). It's
definitely a very, very strong pick-me-up. Stratospheric.

In any case, Guayaki's website will explain it much better than I can.

Aside from the gourd, actually, an easier way to do it is to use a french
press. Often times, the ratio of stems to leaf segments isn't right, and
the bombilla (the straw you put inside the gourd) gets clogged and it just
turns into a nasty, muddy mess. With a french press, you can avoid these
problems, but then again, with a french press, it's the difference between
drinking a thick, heavy-duty shot of espresso and a more watery standard
cup of coffee. But the french press does work, it's probably not a bad
idea to get a mini french-press, use more mate, and get more infusions out
of it. You can probably get 10 infusions or so, maybe more depending on
how much you put into the press to begin with.

But definitely try the Guayaki, it's probably one of the only brands that
can give you a feel for what it's supposed to taste like. It's the way
they dry it, the way they age for 6 months in a cedar-lined room, you can
make an incredibly, incredibly thick, strong beverage with a stratospheric
buzz and not get the bitterness, but just a smooth, smoky, juicy,
overwhelmingly energizing experience.

Personally, I like good pu-erh tea better. But I have a lot of respect for
mate, I have several gourds, etc..

P.S. If you do get the gourds, be careful with the mold. Depending on
where you live, etc... There is a way that the gourds are "seasoned", by
soaking with mate overnight, but be careful - let them dry out in the sun,
if possible. You can also consider nuking them if it's really humid,
provided you have a gourd that doesn't have the metal rim around it. Make
sure they dry out between uses (buy two or three and rotate). Otherwise
you may end up with a nasty, slimy mold problem.

Alex Chaihorsky

I am an avid mate drinker and this is what I have to say:

I use approx 1/3 of a gourd (or can buy them online for couple of bucks do
not buy fancy ones, but do buy the ones with a simple metal rim. I recommend
metal ones for beginners to help evade the mouth burns the rule is: "If the
bombillia is hot for your lips the mate is too hot to drink!" Otherwise if
you use my favorite bamboo ones you will often have your lips burned at the
beginning of your mate experience I love mate and drink it at least twice a
week.

Now, brewing. Several points:

1. NEVER fill mate gourd with boiling water - it will bitter. In Latin
America they say that you "burned it". Actually the target temp should be
around 65-70 Celsius. ADD boiling water when the gourd is half-empty so that
the mix would be around that temperature again. I refill many times. In LA
(Latin America) they drink one for the whole day.

2. Use 1/4 to 1/2 of your "cup"/gourd of dry mate depending on how many
times you refill. For whole day (or whole night) drinking fill 2/3 of your
gourd. For 3-4 evening refills - 1/4.

3. I like to sieve the "dust" off - loosing about 1/3 of the volume. This is
just me - it was never taught to me.

4. The sign of a well-prepared mate is some foam on the top. If you do not
have foam - you screwed up (too hot water). Even after 10 refills you will
still have some foam if you do it right.

5. Th ebest way to brew the first gourd is quite complicated:

a). Put the dry mate inside the gourd so it forms a pile aside the wall -
you will pour water aiming at the other side so mate is as much undisturbed
as possible. Place the bombilla inside mate, well covered by it. Never take
it out in-between refills. Let it sit there, on the same place till the very
end.

b) Put your teapot on the stove. After it barely warms put some water from
it onto the gourd. Just enough to barely wet the powder.

c) Repeat that several times so that the gourd is filled by more and more
hot water until the pot boils. That way the temperature inside the gourd
will be around 60-65 C. Now your water is boiled and cools slowly. Re-heat
it and add to the gourd. The mate inside is soaked in cooler water so you
need to use approx 80-90 new water to keep the temperature within 65-70. You
may gradually increase the temperature after 4-5th brew.

As soon as you failed to have foam - you know you burned the mate.

Couple of months later you will start noticing how your usual thoughts are
becoming longer and deeper than usual without any effort.

Some add orange peel, some add honey. I do take occasionally some tupelo raw
honey or Hawaiian white (kiawe) honey with my mate (tiny amounts eaten from
a tiny silver spoon) no more that 5-15 grams a night. But I do not sweeten
the drink itself.

Mate offers a nice "in-between" for green puerhs and strong large leaf
ceylons that I drink many times every day. I do not care about coffein, get
sleepy from it but some of you may be interested that matein is much milder
than coffein and actually help some folks to get sleepy.

Burning your tongue is what almost always happens to beginners. Hot tea that
you drink using your lips with an air intake off the cup ream is much less
likely to burn you than a 75 centigrade mate (far from boiling!) drawn
through the bombillia right inside your mouth. Be very careful. Drinking too
hot a mate is a leading cause for sarcophagus cancer in Latin America, where
truckers drink mate days and nights during their trans-American routes.

Sasha.

"Dada" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:35:15 -0400, Derek > wrote:
>
> Yes, I agree with you. The only doubt I had was if I have tried the
> real taste of MATE or not. Maybe it can be a nonsense question, but
> thinking to green tea it cannot. If you try a Sencha using boiling
> water, it's probable you won't obtain the real Sencha taste. Isn't
> true?
> How many time have you repeated infusion without loosing quality?
> I think I am going in the Amazonic forest to take my gourd and cut it
> in the right way to drink MATE. Maybe it would be simplier to buy it.
> How did you got it? Did you found the gourd and bombilla in some tea
> store?
>
>>On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:30:21 GMT, Dada wrote:
>>
>>> Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good.
>>> I would like to know if any one of you have some experience with this
>>> kind of infusion. I know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink
>>> should like it.
>>> About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction
>>> are not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in
>>> Brasil to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a
>>> poor, simple tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss
>>> (it is written on the package) used an handful of it for one person. I
>>> poured it by rough estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I
>>> made a good mate. How many tea spoons do you use usually?
>>> The MATE I bought has broken lieves inside: any quality has so? Do you
>>> know any site or book about this drink?
>>> I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't.
>>> Thanks

>>Mate is traditionally consumed from a gourd (pumpkin) through a
>>bombilla (straw with a filter screen at the bottom).
>>Traditionally/historically, bombillas were wooden. These days, they're
>>mostly metal.
>>
>>The gourd is filled 3/4 full with loose mate, sometimes sugar, and
>>then topped off with boiling water. It is then consumed through the
>>bombilla, which keeps the leaves in the gourd. When the mate water is
>>completely drained, more water is added. This process is repeated
>>several times with no appreciable decrease in flavor - although the
>>steeping time gets longer. (at least that's my experience).
>>
>>As you noted, the amount used is typically dependent upon the size of
>>the container. And it's likely that, outside of a gourd, you're not
>>going to do the heavy infusions that are traditionally consumed.
>>
>>You already answered to your own question, in my opinion. You said
>>your mate tasted good. If it tastes good to you, that's what really
>>counts. It may not be the typical way of making it, but it works for
>>you.
>>
>>Otherwise, you'll need to get yourself a gourd and bombilla and try it
>>the "traditional" way.
>>
>>You can find more information at: http://www.noborders.net/mate/

danube

> Burning your tongue is what almost always happens to beginners. Hot tea
> that you drink using your lips with an air intake off the cup ream is much
> less likely to burn you than a 75 centigrade mate (far from boiling!)
> drawn through the bombillia right inside your mouth. Be very careful.
> Drinking too hot a mate is a leading cause for sarcophagus cancer in Latin
> America, where truckers drink mate days and nights during their
> trans-American routes.
>
> Sasha.

surely the sarcophagus comes *after* cancer of the esophagus?

JB

Nancy

Dada

I suggest you go to www.wisdomwands.com they have a glass straw that is
perfect for mate as well as other teas. It is much better for you
than the metal straws. The glass straw is heat resistant and will not
burn your lips like the metal straw. I use it for other teas as well
and it is a very convenient way to brew tea in a cup.

Enjoy your mate!
Linda

Dada wrote:
> Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good.
> I would like to know if any one of you have some experience with this
> kind of infusion. I know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink
> should like it.
> About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction
> are not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in
> Brasil to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a
> poor, simple tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss
> (it is written on the package) used an handful of it for one person. I
> poured it by rough estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I
> made a good mate. How many tea spoons do you use usually?
> The MATE I bought has broken lieves inside: any quality has so? Do you
> know any site or book about this drink?
> I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't.
> Thanks

Nancy

Dada wrote:
> Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good.
> I would like to know if any one of you have some experience with this
> kind of infusion. I know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink
> should like it.
> About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction
> are not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in
> Brasil to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a
> poor, simple tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss
> (it is written on the package) used an handful of it for one person. I
> poured it by rough estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I
> made a good mate. How many tea spoons do you use usually?
> The MATE I bought has broken lieves inside: any quality has so? Do you
> know any site or book about this drink?
> I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't.
> Thanks

Nancy

Dada wrote:
> Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good.
> I would like to know if any one of you have some experience with this
> kind of infusion. I know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink
> should like it.
> About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction
> are not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in
> Brasil to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a
> poor, simple tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss
> (it is written on the package) used an handful of it for one person. I
> poured it by rough estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I
> made a good mate. How many tea spoons do you use usually?
> The MATE I bought has broken lieves inside: any quality has so? Do you
> know any site or book about this drink?
> I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't.
> Thanks

Nancy

Dada wrote:
> Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good.
> I would like to know if any one of you have some experience with this
> kind of infusion. I know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink
> should like it.
> About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction
> are not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in
> Brasil to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a
> poor, simple tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss
> (it is written on the package) used an handful of it for one person. I
> poured it by rough estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I
> made a good mate. How many tea spoons do you use usually?
> The MATE I bought has broken lieves inside: any quality has so? Do you
> know any site or book about this drink?
> I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't.
> Thanks

Nancy

Dada wrote:
> Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good.
> I would like to know if any one of you have some experience with this
> kind of infusion. I know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink
> should like it.
> About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction
> are not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in
> Brasil to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a
> poor, simple tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss
> (it is written on the package) used an handful of it for one person. I
> poured it by rough estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I
> made a good mate. How many tea spoons do you use usually?
> The MATE I bought has broken lieves inside: any quality has so? Do you
> know any site or book about this drink?
> I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't.
> Thanks

Nancy

Dada wrote:
> Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good.
> I would like to know if any one of you have some experience with this
> kind of infusion. I know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink
> should like it.
> About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction
> are not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in
> Brasil to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a
> poor, simple tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss
> (it is written on the package) used an handful of it for one person. I
> poured it by rough estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I
> made a good mate. How many tea spoons do you use usually?
> The MATE I bought has broken lieves inside: any quality has so? Do you
> know any site or book about this drink?
> I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't.
> Thanks

Nancy

Dada wrote:
> Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good.
> I would like to know if any one of you have some experience with this
> kind of infusion. I know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink
> should like it.
> About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction
> are not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in
> Brasil to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a
> poor, simple tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss
> (it is written on the package) used an handful of it for one person. I
> poured it by rough estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I
> made a good mate. How many tea spoons do you use usually?
> The MATE I bought has broken lieves inside: any quality has so? Do you
> know any site or book about this drink?
> I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't.
> Thanks

Nancy

Dada wrote:
> Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good.
> I would like to know if any one of you have some experience with this
> kind of infusion. I know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink
> should like it.
> About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction
> are not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in
> Brasil to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a
> poor, simple tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss
> (it is written on the package) used an handful of it for one person. I
> poured it by rough estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I
> made a good mate. How many tea spoons do you use usually?
> The MATE I bought has broken lieves inside: any quality has so? Do you
> know any site or book about this drink?
> I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't.
> Thanks

Nancy

Dada wrote:
> Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good.
> I would like to know if any one of you have some experience with this
> kind of infusion. I know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink
> should like it.
> About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction
> are not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in
> Brasil to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a
> poor, simple tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss
> (it is written on the package) used an handful of it for one person. I
> poured it by rough estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I
> made a good mate. How many tea spoons do you use usually?
> The MATE I bought has broken lieves inside: any quality has so? Do you
> know any site or book about this drink?
> I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't.
> Thanks

Nancy

Dada wrote:
> Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good.
> I would like to know if any one of you have some experience with this
> kind of infusion. I know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink
> should like it.
> About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction
> are not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in
> Brasil to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a
> poor, simple tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss
> (it is written on the package) used an handful of it for one person. I
> poured it by rough estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I
> made a good mate. How many tea spoons do you use usually?
> The MATE I bought has broken lieves inside: any quality has so? Do you
> know any site or book about this drink?
> I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't.
> Thanks

Nancy

Dada wrote:
> Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good.
> I would like to know if any one of you have some experience with this
> kind of infusion. I know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink
> should like it.
> About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction
> are not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in
> Brasil to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a
> poor, simple tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss
> (it is written on the package) used an handful of it for one person. I
> poured it by rough estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I
> made a good mate. How many tea spoons do you use usually?
> The MATE I bought has broken lieves inside: any quality has so? Do you
> know any site or book about this drink?
> I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't.
> Thanks

Nancy

Dada wrote:
> Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good.
> I would like to know if any one of you have some experience with this
> kind of infusion. I know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink
> should like it.
> About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction
> are not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in
> Brasil to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a
> poor, simple tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss
> (it is written on the package) used an handful of it for one person. I
> poured it by rough estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I
> made a good mate. How many tea spoons do you use usually?
> The MATE I bought has broken lieves inside: any quality has so? Do you
> know any site or book about this drink?
> I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't.
> Thanks

Dada

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:30:57 -0400, Un Known > wrote:

>But definitely try the Guayaki, it's probably one of the only brands that
>can give you a feel for what it's supposed to taste like. It's the way
>they dry it, the way they age for 6 months in a cedar-lined room, you can
>make an incredibly, incredibly thick, strong beverage with a stratospheric
>buzz and not get the bitterness, but just a smooth, smoky, juicy,
>overwhelmingly energizing experience.

I couldn't imagine better answers then I obtained from all of you. The
point is that I obtained a taste like that "smooth, smoky, juicy",
something between bamboo and tobacco, but also something sweet,
preparing it with nearly boiled water poured into a normal tea-pot
with a metallic filter.
Now I am going to try it at a lower temperature, as the one used for
green teas. On the site they suggest also to do it by expresso maker.
Nice idea. Have you ever tried?
I think you won't obtain foam, maybe.
Do you drink it at any time of day or is better in particular hours?
Is it good to drink it while eating?
I ask because once I tried on an empty stomach SENCHA and I didn't
have real fun. I ask you that, beacause during those days I tried MATE
only after lunch.
Un Known

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 02:53:36 +0000, Alex Chaihorsky wrote:

> [...]
> from a tiny silver spoon) no more that 5-15 grams a night. But I do not
> sweeten the drink itself.
>
> Mate offers a nice "in-between" for green puerhs and strong large leaf
> ceylons that I drink many times every day. I do not care about coffein,
> get sleepy from it but some of you may be interested that matein is much
> milder than coffein and actually help some folks to get sleepy.
>
> Burning your tongue is what almost always happens to beginners. Hot tea
> that you drink using your lips with an air intake off the cup ream is much
> less likely to burn you than a 75 centigrade mate (far from boiling!)
> drawn through the bombillia right inside your mouth. Be very careful.
> Drinking too hot a mate is a leading cause for sarcophagus cancer in Latin
> America, where truckers drink mate days and nights during their

Did burn my tongue a couple times, but I never really (still don't) have
all the patience necessary to watch the pot come to a boil...

I was taught to fill up the gourd about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way, then flip
it upside down and shake - or kind of a circular shake; gently up and down
and around in circles. What this does is it lets the dust settle to the
bottom (on your hand covering the opening) and the stems stay on the top
which becomes the bottom when you flip it right side up.

This way the bombilla, when you insert it carefully, is surrounded by the
stems and won't clog. Of course, this doesn't really work when you're at
the bottom of a 5 pound bag, unfortunately, because by that time, most of
the stems are gone. Or worse yet, if your 5 pound bag is from the bottom
of a larger 50 pound or whatever bag. Then it's probably french press time.

For gourds, the ratio of stems vs powdered leaf is critical to keep the
bombilla from clogging.

But then yes, it's been a while, but I do remember - wet the mate down
with cold water, then heat up the water and fill it up the rest of the way.

I bet if the water had been sitting in the sun in South America somewhere
for a few hours it would totally be hot enough, it really doesn't need to
be that hot.
Un Known

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:55:12 +0000, Dada wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:30:57 -0400, Un Known > wrote:
>
>> [quoted text muted]

> I couldn't imagine better answers then I obtained from all of you. The
> point is that I obtained a taste like that "smooth, smoky, juicy",
> something between bamboo and tobacco, but also something sweet, preparing
> it with nearly boiled water poured into a normal tea-pot with a metallic
> filter.
> Now I am going to try it at a lower temperature, as the one used for green
> teas. On the site they suggest also to do it by expresso maker. Nice idea.
> Have you ever tried?
> I think you won't obtain foam, maybe. Do you drink it at any time of day
> or is better in particular hours? Is it good to drink it while eating?
> I ask because once I tried on an empty stomach SENCHA and I didn't have
> real fun. I ask you that, beacause during those days I tried MATE only
> after lunch.

One school of thought that involves money is that it's the quality of the
mate that counts. And also the eco-friendliness of the mate. Mate (ilex
paraguariensis) -- a member of the holly family -- occurs naturally in the
shade of the tropical rainforest. Many of the commercial brands are grown
in the sun for mass consumption, and not only are they not organic, they
aren't eco-friendly, and they aren't grown in the environment where they
ought to be grown (in the shade, not in the sun).

That's kind of why Guayaki is "where it's at" to a certain extent. It's
sustainably grown, the money you pay for it goes to help protect a
rainforest preserve, etc...

If I were to suggest anything to anyone, it would be to try Guayaki.

Dada

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 08:10:59 -0400, Un Known > wrote:

I think, for what I know, it is a good one. I bought it in a
biological shop where they have rare products and this is, in
addiction, from the transfair trade.
I think this is the link. Unfortunately only in italian
http://www.opappece.it/commercioequo/mate.html
But they talk more about the social problem then the MATE quality. I
don't have any experience to understand in what consist: shade or sun
one. I think with a little experience you can distinguish, isn't? What
makes you say one has grown in shade and another not? For exemple,
green japanese teas have a "sea-test" that oder don't. Is it something
similar with MATE?
For now I'll do my experience with that, and after I wish to try this
Guayaki or something of the same quality.

>On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:55:12 +0000, Dada wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:30:57 -0400, Un Known > wrote:
>>
>>> [quoted text muted]

>> I couldn't imagine better answers then I obtained from all of you. The
>> point is that I obtained a taste like that "smooth, smoky, juicy",
>> something between bamboo and tobacco, but also something sweet, preparing
>> it with nearly boiled water poured into a normal tea-pot with a metallic
>> filter.
>> Now I am going to try it at a lower temperature, as the one used for green
>> teas. On the site they suggest also to do it by expresso maker. Nice idea.
>> Have you ever tried?
>> I think you won't obtain foam, maybe. Do you drink it at any time of day
>> or is better in particular hours? Is it good to drink it while eating?
>> I ask because once I tried on an empty stomach SENCHA and I didn't have
>> real fun. I ask you that, beacause during those days I tried MATE only
>> after lunch.

>One school of thought that involves money is that it's the quality of the
>mate that counts. And also the eco-friendliness of the mate. Mate (ilex
>paraguariensis) -- a member of the holly family -- occurs naturally in the
>shade of the tropical rainforest. Many of the commercial brands are grown
>in the sun for mass consumption, and not only are they not organic, they
>aren't eco-friendly, and they aren't grown in the environment where they
>ought to be grown (in the shade, not in the sun).
>
>That's kind of why Guayaki is "where it's at" to a certain extent. It's
>sustainably grown, the money you pay for it goes to help protect a
>rainforest preserve, etc...
>
>If I were to suggest anything to anyone, it would be to try Guayaki.

Derek

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 02:53:36 GMT, Alex Chaihorsky wrote:

> I am an avid mate drinker and this is what I have to say:

I humbly submit that I screwed up on the water temperature part,
because, now that Alex mentions it, that's exactly what my friend said
about it.

So don't listen to me when it comes to Mate. Listen to Alex.

--
Derek

'On the whole human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not
quite all the time." -- George Orwell

Un Known

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:25:59 +0000, Dada wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 08:10:59 -0400, Un Known > wrote:
>
> I think, for what I know, it is a good one. I bought it in a biological
> shop where they have rare products and this is, in addiction, from the
> transfair trade.
> I think this is the link. Unfortunately only in italian
> http://www.opappece.it/commercioequo/mate.html But they talk more about
> the social problem then the MATE quality. I don't have any experience to
> understand in what consist: shade or sun one. I think with a little
> experience you can distinguish, isn't? What makes you say one has grown in
> shade and another not? For exemple, green japanese teas have a "sea-test"
> that oder don't. Is it something similar with MATE?
> For now I'll do my experience with that, and after I wish to try this
> Guayaki or something of the same quality.
>
>> [quoted text muted]

Yes, you are probably right there. Guayaki has really made inroads into
the U.S., they are based in California. Here in the U.S. (I live in the
U.S.), it can be found in more and more places as time moves forward.
Whether or not it can be found in Italy, I don't know. Certainly you could
probably order it from them in California over the internet, but it seems
to me that the situation, realistically, is that there are probably many,
many quite good brands of yerba mate that are available in South America
and other places that are not available in the U.S.

It's difficult here in the states because there isn't really a lot of
selection. It's Guayaki or else some unknown (more or less). Not sure how
popular Guayaki is in Europe, or if it's available at all. When I first
started drinking it here about 5 years ago or so, it wasn't really
available anywhere - I had to mail order it. Now it's everywhere and I
don't really drink it much anymore.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is a larger selection of
high-quality yerba mate available in Europe. It does sound like from what
you describe that you have a fairly good quality one.
Steve Hay

Nancy wrote:
> than the metal straws. The glass straw is heat resistant and will not
> burn your lips like the metal straw. I use it for other teas as well
> and it is a very convenient way to brew tea in a cup.

I am curious what happens when the Mate that heats the metal straw comes
into contact with your mouth...
Alex Chaihorsky

"danube" > wrote in message
news

>> Burning your tongue is what almost always happens to beginners. Hot tea
>> that you drink using your lips with an air intake off the cup ream is
>> much
>> less likely to burn you than a 75 centigrade mate (far from boiling!)
>> drawn through the bombillia right inside your mouth. Be very careful.
>> Drinking too hot a mate is a leading cause for sarcophagus cancer in
>> Latin
>> America, where truckers drink mate days and nights during their
>> trans-American routes.
>>
>> Sasha.

> surely the sarcophagus comes *after* cancer of the esophagus?
>
> JB

These damn spell checkers ...

Alex.

Alex Chaihorsky

Linda,

It is GOOD that metal bambilla is getting hot - it is a warning sign that
your mate is way too hot... It is the burning from too hot a mate that
suddenly is being sucked into your mouth that is dangerous (which happens
precisely because your glass straw DO NOT GET HOT, not a slight heat nip on
the lip from your bombilla....
And the price for this thingy.... And the audacity of "The Most Remarkable
Tea Accessory Ever Invented"... I have to say that this provokes a huge
PA-LEE-ASE.

Also (IMHO) if regular green or black tea would have benefited from such way
of drinking it would at least be found somewhere in Chinese or other
tea-drinking cultures. My opinion - the aroma and the taste of C. Sinensis
teas opens up better when drunk "with air" and the supporting evidence is
the fact that tea masters always slurp the tea to mix tea with air while
tasting tea. Mate is different in many ways and mate drinkers developed the
straw-drinking technique also for the variety of reasons, no doubt.

Sasha.

"Nancy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Dada
>
> I suggest you go to www.wisdomwands.com they have a glass straw that is
> perfect for mate as well as other teas. It is much better for you
> than the metal straws. The glass straw is heat resistant and will not
> burn your lips like the metal straw. I use it for other teas as well
> and it is a very convenient way to brew tea in a cup.
>
> Enjoy your mate!
> Linda
>

> Dada wrote:
>> Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good.
>> I would like to know if any one of you have some experience with this
>> kind of infusion. I know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink
>> should like it.
>> About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction
>> are not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in
>> Brasil to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a
>> poor, simple tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss
>> (it is written on the package) used an handful of it for one person. I
>> poured it by rough estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I
>> made a good mate. How many tea spoons do you use usually?
>> The MATE I bought has broken lieves inside: any quality has so? Do you
>> know any site or book about this drink?
>> I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't.
>> Thanks

Dada

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:12:12 -0400, Derek > wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 02:53:36 GMT, Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>
>> I am an avid mate drinker and this is what I have to say:

>I humbly submit that I screwed up on the water temperature part,
>because, now that Alex mentions it, that's exactly what my friend said
>about it.
>
>So don't listen to me when it comes to Mate. Listen to Alex.

Well. Yesterday I tried MATE prepared with 70*C water. The drink taste
is something really lighter then the same quantity prepared with
nearly boiled water. Actualy I noticed a little "burned leaves" taste
with boiling water (too near to tobacco), but it looks like more to
intensify the natural quality of MATE than to burn it. That's my
opinion and what my short experience told me. For what concern
quantity, I noticed that, preparing MATE with a tea pot, you just need
two very-heaped tea-spoons per person. That's all I can say. I wish I
will try MATE with Expresso Machine soon.

Yerba Mate zxcvbob General Cooking 4 26-07-2010 08:40 PM
Yerba Mate zxcvbob General Cooking 12 21-06-2010 06:43 PM
[OT] I'll miss my mate, Ed. st.helier[_1_] Wine 4 14-01-2008 03:06 AM
Yerba Mate Robert Tea 0 11-12-2003 01:38 AM
Where to buy Yerba Mate! beejhorton Tea 1 07-11-2003 02:11 PM