Mike Fulton

Default Kousmichoff

Hey all,

Recently, I have developed a love for Lady Grey and being an Orthodox
Christian, I have encountered several of Russians at my Church who have
a fondness for Kousmichoff. I really would like to try Russian tea
blends. Just out of curiosity, has anyone had good luck with
Kousmichoff blends? My birthday is coming up, and I have thought about
asking my girlfriend to pick me up a tin of Prince Vladimir for the
ocassion. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mike

Natarajan Krishnaswami

On 2005-09-06, Mike Fulton > wrote:
> I really would like to try Russian tea blends.

French tea blends, you mean? <grin>

Seriously though, I'm fond of Kousmichoff. Especially their
zoubrowka. I've also enjoyed 'Bouquet of Flowers' on occassion; it's
very pleasant when I want a citrus-scented black tea that is not Earl
Grey. I haven't had 'Prince Vladimir', but I'd give it a try.

Happy birthday, BTW! :-)
N.
Scott Dorsey

Mike Fulton > wrote:

>Recently, I have developed a love for Lady Grey and being an Orthodox
>Christian, I have encountered several of Russians at my Church who have
>a fondness for Kousmichoff. I really would like to try Russian tea
>blends. Just out of curiosity, has anyone had good luck with
>Kousmichoff blends? My birthday is coming up, and I have thought about
>asking my girlfriend to pick me up a tin of Prince Vladimir for the
>ocassion. Any thoughts?

Try it. Their house blend is kind of smoky. Remember these teas are
intended to be made very strong with long extended steeping, then drunk
with sweetening added.

You can drink them straight with limited steeping and they are interesting
that way, but they aren't really blended for that.
--scott

Space Cowboy

We have a large Russian community. I got a brand called Royal Tea Czar
Nicholas. I haven't tried it but I'd bet their Czarina Alexandra which
says natural flavors is bergamot. The Russian brands like everybody
else is packed in country of export.

Jim

Mike Fulton wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Recently, I have developed a love for Lady Grey and being an Orthodox
> Christian, I have encountered several of Russians at my Church who have
> a fondness for Kousmichoff. I really would like to try Russian tea
> blends. Just out of curiosity, has anyone had good luck with
> Kousmichoff blends? My birthday is coming up, and I have thought about
> asking my girlfriend to pick me up a tin of Prince Vladimir for the
> ocassion. Any thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mike

Alex Chaihorsky

Many a "russian tea" - meaning a tea with cyrillic label and Russian Royal
insignia are actually Finnish Forsman teas, very popular in Russia.
http://www.forsman.ru/russian.htm
Flavored far too much and beyond my taste.

Sasha.

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> We have a large Russian community. I got a brand called Royal Tea Czar
> Nicholas. I haven't tried it but I'd bet their Czarina Alexandra which
> says natural flavors is bergamot. The Russian brands like everybody
> else is packed in country of export.
>
> Jim
>
> Mike Fulton wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Recently, I have developed a love for Lady Grey and being an Orthodox
>> Christian, I have encountered several of Russians at my Church who have
>> a fondness for Kousmichoff. I really would like to try Russian tea
>> blends. Just out of curiosity, has anyone had good luck with
>> Kousmichoff blends? My birthday is coming up, and I have thought about
>> asking my girlfriend to pick me up a tin of Prince Vladimir for the
>> ocassion. Any thoughts?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mike

Space Cowboy

Here is a website I just found. I haven't seen the Forsman brand in
the stores. Looks like a really good selection. I'd also recommend
getting a large Lomonosov Cobalt teapot on Ebay. It is the most
elegant teapot I have. I only use it for display.

http://www.therussianshop.com/russhop/samovar/tea2.htm

Jim

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
> Many a "russian tea" - meaning a tea with cyrillic label and Russian Royal
> insignia are actually Finnish Forsman teas, very popular in Russia.
> http://www.forsman.ru/russian.htm
> Flavored far too much and beyond my taste.
>
> Sasha.
>

> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > We have a large Russian community. I got a brand called Royal Tea Czar
> > Nicholas. I haven't tried it but I'd bet their Czarina Alexandra which
> > says natural flavors is bergamot. The Russian brands like everybody
> > else is packed in country of export.
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > Mike Fulton wrote:
> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> Recently, I have developed a love for Lady Grey and being an Orthodox
> >> Christian, I have encountered several of Russians at my Church who have
> >> a fondness for Kousmichoff. I really would like to try Russian tea
> >> blends. Just out of curiosity, has anyone had good luck with
> >> Kousmichoff blends? My birthday is coming up, and I have thought about
> >> asking my girlfriend to pick me up a tin of Prince Vladimir for the
> >> ocassion. Any thoughts?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Mike

Alex Chaihorsky

One tiny note - the "Karelian Birch tea Box" is not made of famous Russian
"Karelian Birch" but most probably is from birch that was harvested in
Karelia. "Karelian Birch" is what (among other things) a inexpensive (100
years ago!) faberge cigarette holders were made of.
http://pages.antiquespaintedlady.com...e/1161331.html

More general info:
http://www.sciteclibrary.ru/karbel/eng/

Sasha.

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Here is a website I just found. I haven't seen the Forsman brand in
> the stores. Looks like a really good selection. I'd also recommend
> getting a large Lomonosov Cobalt teapot on Ebay. It is the most
> elegant teapot I have. I only use it for display.
>
> http://www.therussianshop.com/russhop/samovar/tea2.htm
>
> Jim
>
> Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
>> Many a "russian tea" - meaning a tea with cyrillic label and Russian
>> Royal
>> insignia are actually Finnish Forsman teas, very popular in Russia.
>> http://www.forsman.ru/russian.htm
>> Flavored far too much and beyond my taste.
>>
>> Sasha.
>>

>> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > We have a large Russian community. I got a brand called Royal Tea Czar
>> > Nicholas. I haven't tried it but I'd bet their Czarina Alexandra which
>> > says natural flavors is bergamot. The Russian brands like everybody
>> > else is packed in country of export.
>> >
>> > Jim

Mike Fulton

I'll definitely give it a try. I'd also like to take a gander at Troika
and Anastasia. Seems rather delicious too. I want to try and broaden my
spectrum a bit as far as tea culture is concerned. In other words,
start looking north of the Songhua.

Alex Chaihorsky

"Mike Fulton" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'll definitely give it a try. I'd also like to take a gander at Troika
> and Anastasia. Seems rather delicious too. I want to try and broaden my
> spectrum a bit as far as tea culture is concerned. In other words,
> start looking north of the Songhua.

Mike, if you read Russian I can recommend several Russian tea forums that
are excellent.

Sasha.

Mike Fulton

Sasha. Unfortunately my Greek is better than my Russian. Thanks though.