sherdwen

Default maybe and easy question?

I am writing this because I have been talking about
tea/chinese/culture/teaware, and sometimes the English word for the
Chinese word just doesn't exist, also I have heard a few comments
(name to be changed to protect the innocent) hahah you know who you
are. I think there are a few folks out there that think translations or
easy or not important any way here goes let's do a group project and
see how it works.
exhibit "A" the vessel next to the tea pot used to pour the brewed tea
in after it is brewed and it is used to divide up the tea into the cups
and to keep the tea about the same strengthen from first cup poured to
the last. I never understood the English, for not using a vessel to
get the dang tea out of the pot to stop the brewing, every time you
start pouring the tea out of the pretty and expensive teapots in the
beautiful tea gardens I know I don't want the last cup or even the
second round because that sitting about in the tea leaves just makes
the tea not strong but Bitter, yuck!. now before I get jumped by and
brits, I am sure there are some that don't do this, and also I am not
saying the rest of the world brews correctly to brew and then to stop
the leaves from continuing to brew. Anyway back to the question what
is the vessel for pouring in to the cups....

samarkand

Not a problem sherdwan,

but as I have tried before in replying to Hanry, my reply in chinese cannot
be read.

shall I e-mail you once it is done?

Danny

"sherdwen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am writing this because I have been talking about
> tea/chinese/culture/teaware, and sometimes the English word for the
> Chinese word just doesn't exist, also I have heard a few comments
> (name to be changed to protect the innocent) hahah you know who you
> are. I think there are a few folks out there that think translations or
> easy or not important any way here goes let's do a group project and
> see how it works.
> exhibit "A" the vessel next to the tea pot used to pour the brewed tea
> in after it is brewed and it is used to divide up the tea into the cups
> and to keep the tea about the same strengthen from first cup poured to
> the last. I never understood the English, for not using a vessel to
> get the dang tea out of the pot to stop the brewing, every time you
> start pouring the tea out of the pretty and expensive teapots in the
> beautiful tea gardens I know I don't want the last cup or even the
> second round because that sitting about in the tea leaves just makes
> the tea not strong but Bitter, yuck!. now before I get jumped by and
> brits, I am sure there are some that don't do this, and also I am not
> saying the rest of the world brews correctly to brew and then to stop
> the leaves from continuing to brew. Anyway back to the question what
> is the vessel for pouring in to the cups....

samarkand

oh, and should I correct your grammar as well?

"sherdwen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am writing this because I have been talking about
> tea/chinese/culture/teaware, and sometimes the English word for the
> Chinese word just doesn't exist, also I have heard a few comments
> (name to be changed to protect the innocent) hahah you know who you
> are. I think there are a few folks out there that think translations or
> easy or not important any way here goes let's do a group project and
> see how it works.
> exhibit "A" the vessel next to the tea pot used to pour the brewed tea
> in after it is brewed and it is used to divide up the tea into the cups
> and to keep the tea about the same strengthen from first cup poured to
> the last. I never understood the English, for not using a vessel to
> get the dang tea out of the pot to stop the brewing, every time you
> start pouring the tea out of the pretty and expensive teapots in the
> beautiful tea gardens I know I don't want the last cup or even the
> second round because that sitting about in the tea leaves just makes
> the tea not strong but Bitter, yuck!. now before I get jumped by and
> brits, I am sure there are some that don't do this, and also I am not
> saying the rest of the world brews correctly to brew and then to stop
> the leaves from continuing to brew. Anyway back to the question what
> is the vessel for pouring in to the cups....

samarkand

Just sent you the translation. Havea laugh reading it...it was fun doing
that again...

Danny

"sherdwen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am writing this because I have been talking about
> tea/chinese/culture/teaware, and sometimes the English word for the
> Chinese word just doesn't exist, also I have heard a few comments
> (name to be changed to protect the innocent) hahah you know who you
> are. I think there are a few folks out there that think translations or
> easy or not important any way here goes let's do a group project and
> see how it works.
> exhibit "A" the vessel next to the tea pot used to pour the brewed tea
> in after it is brewed and it is used to divide up the tea into the cups
> and to keep the tea about the same strengthen from first cup poured to
> the last. I never understood the English, for not using a vessel to
> get the dang tea out of the pot to stop the brewing, every time you
> start pouring the tea out of the pretty and expensive teapots in the
> beautiful tea gardens I know I don't want the last cup or even the
> second round because that sitting about in the tea leaves just makes
> the tea not strong but Bitter, yuck!. now before I get jumped by and
> brits, I am sure there are some that don't do this, and also I am not
> saying the rest of the world brews correctly to brew and then to stop
> the leaves from continuing to brew. Anyway back to the question what
> is the vessel for pouring in to the cups....

samarkand

I agree, sometimes there are words or even expressions in one language that
doesn't fully expressed itself in another tongue...there are times when I
think English is a language which can be fully expressed in mandarin, but
when I attend church services in Chinese, or read Shakespeare in Chinese, I
realize that isn't so...it turns out quite comical when read out loud.

But Chinese to English is always a problem, especially in poetry. One day
at work I came across the phrase "Qi Wu Long Qing Ying", and I knew that to
successfully translate the superficial word was not a problem, but to
expressed successfully the essence of the phrase in another language is
almost insulting to the imagery it evoke.

Qi - To get up, the start
Wu - To dance,
Long - to make,
Qing - 1) clear, 2)solitary, 3)loneliness
Ying - Shadow

In short, it means "To dance and create shadow", but the sense of solitude,
or loneliness, or even the sligh element of self-tease (the image of one
dancing, and the shadow imitating every move), is lost in the translation.

I have made it a point then never to translate or accept copywriting that
requires poetic images...haha...

Danny

"sherdwen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am writing this because I have been talking about
> tea/chinese/culture/teaware, and sometimes the English word for the
> Chinese word just doesn't exist, also I have heard a few comments
> (name to be changed to protect the innocent) hahah you know who you
> are. I think there are a few folks out there that think translations or
> easy or not important any way here goes let's do a group project and
> see how it works.
> exhibit "A" the vessel next to the tea pot used to pour the brewed tea
> in after it is brewed and it is used to divide up the tea into the cups
> and to keep the tea about the same strengthen from first cup poured to
> the last. I never understood the English, for not using a vessel to
> get the dang tea out of the pot to stop the brewing, every time you
> start pouring the tea out of the pretty and expensive teapots in the
> beautiful tea gardens I know I don't want the last cup or even the
> second round because that sitting about in the tea leaves just makes
> the tea not strong but Bitter, yuck!. now before I get jumped by and
> brits, I am sure there are some that don't do this, and also I am not
> saying the rest of the world brews correctly to brew and then to stop
> the leaves from continuing to brew. Anyway back to the question what
> is the vessel for pouring in to the cups....

samarkand

Sorry, that's meant to be a joke...I think the grammar is what you have
taken as an excerpt, right? I think the last bite is a little confusing.
My apologies...

Danny

"samarkand" > wrote in message
> oh, and should I correct your grammar as well?
>

> "sherdwen" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>I am writing this because I have been talking about
>> tea/chinese/culture/teaware, and sometimes the English word for the
>> Chinese word just doesn't exist, also I have heard a few comments
>> (name to be changed to protect the innocent) hahah you know who you
>> are. I think there are a few folks out there that think translations or
>> easy or not important any way here goes let's do a group project and
>> see how it works.
>> exhibit "A" the vessel next to the tea pot used to pour the brewed tea
>> in after it is brewed and it is used to divide up the tea into the cups
>> and to keep the tea about the same strengthen from first cup poured to
>> the last. I never understood the English, for not using a vessel to
>> get the dang tea out of the pot to stop the brewing, every time you
>> start pouring the tea out of the pretty and expensive teapots in the
>> beautiful tea gardens I know I don't want the last cup or even the
>> second round because that sitting about in the tea leaves just makes
>> the tea not strong but Bitter, yuck!. now before I get jumped by and
>> brits, I am sure there are some that don't do this, and also I am not
>> saying the rest of the world brews correctly to brew and then to stop
>> the leaves from continuing to brew. Anyway back to the question what
>> is the vessel for pouring in to the cups....

Lewis Perin

"sherdwen" > writes:

> [...translation in general...]
> exhibit "A" the vessel next to the tea pot used to pour the brewed tea
> in after it is brewed and it is used to divide up the tea into the cups
> and to keep the tea about the same strengthen from first cup poured to
> the last. I never understood the English, for not using a vessel to
> get the dang tea out of the pot to stop the brewing, every time you
> start pouring the tea out of the pretty and expensive teapots in the
> beautiful tea gardens I know I don't want the last cup or even the
> second round because that sitting about in the tea leaves just makes
> the tea not strong but Bitter, yuck!. now before I get jumped by and
> brits, I am sure there are some that don't do this, and also I am not
> saying the rest of the world brews correctly to brew and then to stop
> the leaves from continuing to brew. Anyway back to the question what
> is the vessel for pouring in to the cups....

I think you're right that, in general, Chinese tea drinkers are much
more aware of the problem of oversteeping. That's why Western tea
drinkers don't necessarily have a phrase on the tips of their tongues
for the vessel you're talking about. But there is one (at least):
"reserve pot".

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Rosco

In Taiwanese it is called /dei \hai

"/dei" is "tea" but I haven't found a suitable translation for "\hai" -
except that it's the same sound as "sea". A "sea of tea"? The image
doesn't quite fit.

--
Oolong Tea direct from Taiwan
http://www.teafromtaiwan.com/
sherdwen

Lewis Perin, mmm reserve pot sounds nice, i dont think i have seen this
used before. not bad and 10 piontes for answering...
samarkand/danny wrote someting about the chinese not being able to show
up.
>but as I have tried before in replying to Hanry, my reply in >chinese cann=

ot
>be read.

let me post/try now chinese
i want to try//////

Founder Tsai, Rong Tsang (=E8=94=A1=E6=A6=AE=E7=AB=A0), I, and others are t=
ranslating
into English (=E7=84=A1=E6=88=91=E8=8C=B6=E6=9C=83) "Wu-Wo Tea Ceremony" an=
d about the many
facets of Tea Culture. * Tea Cultu Scholar, writer, and lecturer. *
Writer for "Tea Culture Monthly" Lu-Yu Tea Culture Institute, Progress
Report (=E8=8C=B6=E8=97=9D=E6=9C=88=E5=88=8A=E9=99=B8=E7= BE=BD=E8=8C=B6=E8=
=97=9D=E4=B8=AD=E5=BF=83=E5=B7=A5=E4=BD=9C=E5=A0=B 1=E5=91=8A) *Chinese cont=
act
(=E4=B8=AD=E6=96=87) "Peggy" (=E6=9D=8E=E4=BD=A9=
=E8=8A=B3)

sherdwen

samarkand/danny
yoo said you emailed me something which email address did you use of
mine, (oppss i have tooo some many)

icetea

samarkand

Icetea,

That's you, sherdwen? :")

Oh I emailed it to yout gmail account...I thought you wanted the whole
passage translated, you wanted to know the name of the vessel? It's called
a gong dao bei...I call it the Fair Sharing Pitcher...

Danny

"sherdwen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> samarkand/danny
> yoo said you emailed me something which email address did you use of
> mine, (oppss i have tooo some many)
>
> icetea

sherdwen

thanks for the email,

in taiwan we call it cha chong =E8=8C=B6=E7=9B=85
and in english i have seen...
i dont know your background but being an american "fair sharing
picture", ummmm mm,, just doesnt sound right in conversation.
example.. "boy that teapot is hot, hey can you pass the fair sharing
pitcher". I am not trying to pick a fight i just hope i am making a
point. I do agree with your luyu book and chaodo "term translation"
sherdwen
=20
(tea decanter, tea container, tea jug, ewer, tea pitcher)

Dog Ma 1

[samarkand]
> ... you wanted to know the name of the vessel? It's called
> a gong dao bei...I call it the Fair Sharing Pitcher...

Seems like there was a thread around this topic a year or so back - was it
here, Tea-Disc or Teamail? Anyway, as the scholars swapped erudite
renerings, my favorite was "vessel of equal justice." Timely, given the
weekend nomination of a new US Supreme Court lawgiver.

-DM

samarkand

Nah, Fair Sharing Pitcher is a term that allows people new to the art of tea
a clear concept of its function.
I don't anyone in a conversation would use it, probably 'hey can you pass
the pitcher over there next to the teapot" would be used.
Cha Chong isn't quite the right word either, as it basically means a tea
vessel, which makes it rather generic, since a teapot is also a tea vessel.
If I'm not wrong, i the old days in Fujian, a teapot was sometimes referred
to a Cha Chong too.
It is also referred to as a Cha Hai, Mu Bei (Mother Cup) besides Cha Chong &
Gong Dao Bei in Taiwan.

Danny

"sherdwen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
thanks for the email,

in taiwan we call it cha chong ??
and in english i have seen...
i dont know your background but being an american "fair sharing
picture", ummmm mm,, just doesnt sound right in conversation.
example.. "boy that teapot is hot, hey can you pass the fair sharing
pitcher". I am not trying to pick a fight i just hope i am making a
point. I do agree with your luyu book and chaodo "term translation"
sherdwen

(tea decanter, tea container, tea jug, ewer, tea pitcher)

samarkand

In the Hall of Justice sits the Fair Sharing Pitcher!

Yeah!

:")

Danny

"Dog Ma 1" (reply w/o spam)> wrote in message
> [samarkand]
>> ... you wanted to know the name of the vessel? It's called
>> a gong dao bei...I call it the Fair Sharing Pitcher...

> Seems like there was a thread around this topic a year or so back - was it
> here, Tea-Disc or Teamail? Anyway, as the scholars swapped erudite
> renerings, my favorite was "vessel of equal justice." Timely, given the
> weekend nomination of a new US Supreme Court lawgiver.
>
> -DM

Space Cowboy

I'm going to try this and probably won't work because this post wasn't
Unicode but I'll try one last time to get Google to honor Unicode after
the fact. Anyway a long time ago on the WWW I came across a
description of all the gongfu terms in English and Chinese. I don't
think it would be that hard to find again using Google. I'll leave
that up to the interested parties. Here are two verbatum snippets:

"a pitcher (=B2=E8=E6R ch=A8=A2zh=A8=ADng) for serving the tea"
"No agreement exists over the names of many of these items. Some people
call the pitcher a 'fairness cup' (=B9=AB=B5=C0=B1=AD g=A8=ADngd=A8=A4ob=A8=
=A5i).
Confusingly, the pitcher is sometimes called the 'tea sea' =B2=E8=BA=A3
ch=A8=A2h=A8=A3i; the tea sea is then called the 'tea pillow' (=B2=E8=D5=ED
ch=A8=A2zh=A8=A7n) or 'tea board' (=B2=E8=B0=E5 ch=A8=A2b=A8=A3n)."

If I see this doesn't work someone come back in this thread with
Unicode and I'll post it again.

Jim

samarkand wrote:
> Nah, Fair Sharing Pitcher is a term that allows people new to the art of =

tea
> a clear concept of its function.
> I don't anyone in a conversation would use it, probably 'hey can you pass
> the pitcher over there next to the teapot" would be used.
> Cha Chong isn't quite the right word either, as it basically means a tea
> vessel, which makes it rather generic, since a teapot is also a tea vesse=

l=2E
> If I'm not wrong, i the old days in Fujian, a teapot was sometimes referr=

ed
> to a Cha Chong too.
> It is also referred to as a Cha Hai, Mu Bei (Mother Cup) besides Cha Chon=

g &
> Gong Dao Bei in Taiwan.
>
> Danny
>
> "sherdwen" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> thanks for the email,
>

> in taiwan we call it cha chong ??
> and in english i have seen...
> i dont know your background but being an american "fair sharing
> picture", ummmm mm,, just doesnt sound right in conversation.
> example.. "boy that teapot is hot, hey can you pass the fair sharing
> pitcher". I am not trying to pick a fight i just hope i am making a
> point. I do agree with your luyu book and chaodo "term translation"
> sherdwen
>=20
> (tea decanter, tea container, tea jug, ewer, tea pitcher)

Space Cowboy

It seemed to work when using an existing English language post. In the
Google posting window make sure Chinese Simplified or Chinese
Traditional is selected in the drop down Language list. I don't think
it matters which one. It'll then honor the two character code making
up the Chinese character posted in the window most likely from a cut
and paste by us lowai. I don't know why I didn't see this before.

Jim

Space Cowboy wrote:
....switching to Unicode...
> If I see this doesn't work someone come back in this thread with
> Unicode and I'll post it again.
>
> Jim

samarkand

It's not a "tea clock" Jim, but a "tea container" ÖŃ.

Tea pillow is the pillow stuffed with dried tea leaves for health purpose,
where did you come across this definition as a tea vessel? Are you sure it
is not Chacheng ˛čłĐ?

Teaboard is another term I've not familiar with, where did you get the
definition from? A close match is Chapan ˛čĹĚ...however, both items are not
tea vessels.

Danny - hoping this unicode works out...

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm going to try this and probably won't work because this post wasn't
Unicode but I'll try one last time to get Google to honor Unicode after
the fact. Anyway a long time ago on the WWW I came across a
description of all the gongfu terms in English and Chinese. I don't
think it would be that hard to find again using Google. I'll leave
that up to the interested parties. Here are two verbatum snippets:

"a pitcher (˛čćR ch¨˘zh¨*ng) for serving the tea"
"No agreement exists over the names of many of these items. Some people
call the pitcher a 'fairness cup' (ą«µŔ±* g¨*ngd¨¤ob¨Ąi).
Confusingly, the pitcher is sometimes called the 'tea sea' ˛čşŁ
ch¨˘h¨Łi; the tea sea is then called the 'tea pillow' (˛čŐí
ch¨˘zh¨§n) or 'tea board' (˛č°ĺ ch¨˘b¨Łn)."

samarkand wrote:
> Nah, Fair Sharing Pitcher is a term that allows people new to the art of
> tea
> a clear concept of its function.
> I don't anyone in a conversation would use it, probably 'hey can you pass
> the pitcher over there next to the teapot" would be used.
> Cha Chong isn't quite the right word either, as it basically means a tea
> vessel, which makes it rather generic, since a teapot is also a tea
> vessel.
> If I'm not wrong, i the old days in Fujian, a teapot was sometimes
> referred
> to a Cha Chong too.
> It is also referred to as a Cha Hai, Mu Bei (Mother Cup) besides Cha Chong
> &
> Gong Dao Bei in Taiwan.
>
> Danny
>
> "sherdwen" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> thanks for the email,
>

> in taiwan we call it cha chong ??
> and in english i have seen...
> i dont know your background but being an american "fair sharing
> picture", ummmm mm,, just doesnt sound right in conversation.
> example.. "boy that teapot is hot, hey can you pass the fair sharing
> pitcher". I am not trying to pick a fight i just hope i am making a
> point. I do agree with your luyu book and chaodo "term translation"
> sherdwen
>
> (tea decanter, tea container, tea jug, ewer, tea pitcher)

samarkand

To read the chinese characters I set the encoding to Simplified Chinese
(GB2312)...hopes this helps!

Danny

"samarkand" > wrote in message
> It's not a "tea clock" Jim, but a "tea container" ÖŃ.
>
> Tea pillow is the pillow stuffed with dried tea leaves for health purpose,
> where did you come across this definition as a tea vessel? Are you sure
> it is not Chacheng ˛čłĐ?
>
> Teaboard is another term I've not familiar with, where did you get the
> definition from? A close match is Chapan ˛čĹĚ...however, both items are
> not tea vessels.
>
> Danny - hoping this unicode works out...
>

> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> I'm going to try this and probably won't work because this post wasn't
> Unicode but I'll try one last time to get Google to honor Unicode after
> the fact. Anyway a long time ago on the WWW I came across a
> description of all the gongfu terms in English and Chinese. I don't
> think it would be that hard to find again using Google. I'll leave
> that up to the interested parties. Here are two verbatum snippets:
>
> "a pitcher (˛čćR ch¨˘zh¨*ng) for serving the tea"
> "No agreement exists over the names of many of these items. Some people
> call the pitcher a 'fairness cup' (ą«µŔ±* g¨*ngd¨¤ob¨Ąi).
> Confusingly, the pitcher is sometimes called the 'tea sea' ˛čşŁ
> ch¨˘h¨Łi; the tea sea is then called the 'tea pillow' (˛čŐí
> ch¨˘zh¨§n) or 'tea board' (˛č°ĺ ch¨˘b¨Łn)."
>
> If I see this doesn't work someone come back in this thread with
> Unicode and I'll post it again.
>
> Jim
>
> samarkand wrote:
>> Nah, Fair Sharing Pitcher is a term that allows people new to the art of
>> tea
>> a clear concept of its function.
>> I don't anyone in a conversation would use it, probably 'hey can you pass
>> the pitcher over there next to the teapot" would be used.
>> Cha Chong isn't quite the right word either, as it basically means a tea
>> vessel, which makes it rather generic, since a teapot is also a tea
>> vessel.
>> If I'm not wrong, i the old days in Fujian, a teapot was sometimes
>> referred
>> to a Cha Chong too.
>> It is also referred to as a Cha Hai, Mu Bei (Mother Cup) besides Cha
>> Chong &
>> Gong Dao Bei in Taiwan.
>>
>> Danny
>>
>> "sherdwen" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> thanks for the email,
>>

>> in taiwan we call it cha chong ??
>> and in english i have seen...
>> i dont know your background but being an american "fair sharing
>> picture", ummmm mm,, just doesnt sound right in conversation.
>> example.. "boy that teapot is hot, hey can you pass the fair sharing
>> pitcher". I am not trying to pick a fight i just hope i am making a
>> point. I do agree with your luyu book and chaodo "term translation"
>> sherdwen
>>
>> (tea decanter, tea container, tea jug, ewer, tea pitcher)

Space Cowboy

You're still coming across garbled on this side of the Pacific. Set
your encoding to Unicode,Simplied,Traditional ... How and where you do
that varies from interface to interface.

Interesting I did a reverse Google lookup using some verbatum strings
and got no hits. I don't know the URL because I trust I can find it
again using the original cut and paste with Google. So in advance I'll
apologise to the author as I can't find the URL and quote verbatum the
entire description of gongfu paraphernalia which in itself is
invaluable. Some of the terms have been mentioned in the past and they
matched the description in context and character. I don't know why
he/she uses 'tea clock' for tea pitcher unless lost in translation or
just a typo but the pinyin matched the character. There may be other
things too quibble about because it was never scrubbed by gongfu
linguists who should know but who is say this author didn't.

Jim

A basic Chinese tea set (=E8=8C=B6=E5=99=A8 ch=C3=A1q=C3=AC) consists of a =
teapot (=E8=8C=B6=E5=A3=BA
ch=C3=A1h=C3=BA) which sits on a 'tea sea' (=E8=8C=B6=E6=B5=B7 ch=C3=A1h=C7=
=8Ei). Tea is poured
into a a 'scent cup' (=E8=81=9E=E9=A6=99=E6=9D=AF w=C3=A9nxi=C4=81ngb=C4=93=
i) and then into a teacup
(=E8=8C=B6=E6=9D=AF ch=C3=A1b=C4=93i) before drinking.
There is one scent cup for every teacup and each pair occupies its own
tray (=E6=89=98=E7=9B=A4 tu=C5=8Dp=C3=A1n).
A tea set should also include a set of tools (=E8=8C=B6=E5=85=B7 ch=C3=A1j=
=C3=B9): a scoop
(=E8=8C=B6=E5=8B=BA ch=C3=A1sh=C3=A1o), a pair of tongs (=E8=8C=B6=E5=A4=BE=
ch=C3=A1ji=C3=A1) and a pick
(=E8=8C=B6=E9=9B=95 ch=C3=A1di=C4=81o)
Some optional extras include a jar (=E8=8C=B6=E7=BC=B8 ch=C3=A1g=C4=81ng) f=
or used tea
leaves (and sometimes waste water); a 'lotus leaf' (=E8=8C=B6=E8=8D=B7 ch=
=C3=A1h=C3=A9) for
displaying and inspecting used tea leaves; a pitcher (=E8=8C=B6=E9=8D=BE
ch=C3=A1zh=C5=8Dng) for serving the tea; and a 'cushion' (=E8=8C=B6=E5=A2=
=8A ch=C3=A1di=C3=A0n) to
keep the teapot warm. You will probably also want a tea cloth (=E8=8C=B6=E5=
=B7=BE
ch=C3=A1j=C4=ABn) to mop up spills!
No agreement exists over the names of many of these items. Some people
call the pitcher a 'fairness cup' (=E5=85=AC=E9=81=93=E6=9D=AF g=C5=8Dngd=
=C3=A0ob=C4=93i).
Confusingly, the pitcher is sometimes called the 'tea sea' =E8=8C=B6=E6=B5=
=B7
ch=C3=A1h=C7=8Ei; the tea sea is then called the 'tea pillow' (=E8=8C=B6=E6=
=9E=95
ch=C3=A1zh=C4=9Bn) or 'tea board' (=E8=8C=B6=E6=9D=BF ch=C3=A1b=C7=8En). Th=
e teapot is sometimes
romantically referred to as the 'tea boat' (variously =E8=8C=B6=E8=88=B9 ch=
=C3=A1chu=C3=A1n
or =E8=8C=B6=E8=89=87 ch=C3=A1t=C7=90ng, which extends the metaphor of the =
'tea sea'). The
term =E8=8C=B6=E8=88=B9 may also refer to a dish of hot water in which the =
tea pot
is kept warm. The tea cup is also called the 'tasting cup' (=E5=93=81=E8=8C=
=97=E6=9D=AF
p=C7=90nm=C3=ADngb=C4=93i). The scoop can also be called a 'chooser'/'selec=
tor'
(=E8=8C=B6=E5=89=87 ch=C3=A1z=C3=A9). The pick is sometimes also referred t=
o as =E8=8C=B6=E9=80=9A
ch=C3=A1t=C5=8Dng (which roughly translates as 'a tool for unobstructing a
teapot') or =E6=B8=A3=E5=8C=99 zh=C4=81ch=C3=AD ('spoon for dregs').

samarkand wrote:
> It's not a "tea clock" Jim, but a "tea container" =C3=96=C3=91.
>
> Tea pillow is the pillow stuffed with dried tea leaves for health purpose,
> where did you come across this definition as a tea vessel? Are you sure =

it
> is not Chacheng =C2=B2=C3=A8=C2=B3=C3=90?
>
> Teaboard is another term I've not familiar with, where did you get the
> definition from? A close match is Chapan =C2=B2=C3=A8=C3=85=C3=8C...howe=

ver, both items are not
> tea vessels.
>=20
> Danny - hoping this unicode works out...

Lewis Perin

"sherdwen" > writes:

> thanks for the email,
>

> in taiwan we call it cha chong 茶盅
> and in english i have seen...
> i dont know your background but being an american "fair sharing
> picture", ummmm mm,, just doesnt sound right in conversation.
> example.. "boy that teapot is hot, hey can you pass the fair sharing
> pitcher".

I've also heard "justice pot".

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Lewis Perin

"Space Cowboy" > writes:

> I'm going to try this and probably won't work because this post wasn't
> Unicode but I'll try one last time to get Google to honor Unicode after
> the fact.

But Sherdwen sent the Chinese characters in UTF-8, which *is* a common
Unicode encoding.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Space Cowboy

I just came back from Zhongwen and zhong can also mean 'wine vessel'
so maybe not completely out of context.

Jim

samarkand wrote:
> It's not a "tea clock" Jim, but a "tea container" =D6=D1.
>
> Tea pillow is the pillow stuffed with dried tea leaves for health purpose,
> where did you come across this definition as a tea vessel? Are you sure =

it
> is not Chacheng =B2=E8=B3=D0?
>
> Teaboard is another term I've not familiar with, where did you get the
> definition from? A close match is Chapan =B2=E8=C5=CC...however, both it=

ems are not
> tea vessels.
>=20
> Danny - hoping this unicode works out...

Space Cowboy

I didn't see header information with something like charset="utf-8" or
the GB or BIG5 charset. All I know how to preserve is the two
characters which make up the Unicode value which seems to be the
Internet standard. I use Google which translates the Simplified and
Traditional value to Unicode value. Google knows to do this when it
sees a charset value for Traditional or Simplified which didn't happen
in this case. For the TaoBao and Ebay puerh search strings I had to
use Simplified character values and not Unicode. You can sometimes
trick Google into revealing the underlying character sets which you can
cut and paste by using the Back and Forward arrows with another
website.

Jim

Lewis Perin wrote:
> "Space Cowboy" > writes:
>
> > I'm going to try this and probably won't work because this post wasn't
> > Unicode but I'll try one last time to get Google to honor Unicode after
> > the fact.

> But Sherdwen sent the Chinese characters in UTF-8, which *is* a common
> Unicode encoding.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

sherdwen

hey danny i understand what you mean about letting them learn about the
tea/language by keeping it a literal translation, good point, but i
still disagree :P heheh
wow seems like my question started some ruckus, hahahah,
ohh about the chinese and code, i remember a few years back when i
first tried to look (not read) chinese on the computer... i had
hellllllllllllllllllll. anyway make sure you down load the language
internetpacks and i use chinese traditional, which is big 5. now i know
if you are new at this this will sound chinese to you or
greek,,hahahhaha, but any way. if that doesnt work then try the
simplified chinese. just for the record i have english version
windows. so you can read or at least look at chinese on internet. on
last think if you save anything or want to post here from another site
or program you can first open and save a wordpad doc as a unicode file
NOT AN ANSI file. then do a cut and paste to the word file then put it
on google, one last thing is on the paste you can special paste without
format, my question is whats the difference between unicode 8, unicode
and big endian.
boy i wish i had this kind of help when i was starting out
icetea

sherdwen

one last thing i gotta lot english/chinese translation stuff on my site
if anyone wants to look,,,,,,,,,,(hint danny?) and i am open for
criticism
http://teaarts.blogspot.com/
look to the right and click on the .....
Tea Culture Monthly # (=E8=8C=B6=E8=97=9D=E6=9C=88=E5=88=8A)
i would like to know if ya'll can see it ok, (i mean the chinese part)
i had some problems putting it up.

icetea

samarkand

Read it, I get the newsletters too.

I've never been quite an admirer of Mr Tsai's writings in the newsletter, I
find them contrived and sometimes more like a social analysis than an
article on tea. I much prefer Mrs Tsai's articles - simple and to the
point...once in a while here and there...

I write in both traditional and simple characters, Sherdwen, that is not a
problem for me, though using the microsoft lang pack it is easier to type in
simple characters.

Danny

"sherdwen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
one last thing i gotta lot english/chinese translation stuff on my site
if anyone wants to look,,,,,,,,,,(hint danny?) and i am open for
criticism
http://teaarts.blogspot.com/
look to the right and click on the .....
Tea Culture Monthly # (????)
i would like to know if ya'll can see it ok, (i mean the chinese part)
i had some problems putting it up.

icetea

samarkand

Oh dear, did you tryencoding it on simplified (GB23123)?

Anyway, you are right, after posting the article last night I remembered
that in old chinese novels such as The Story of the Stone, the word Zhong
was used, however, it is not in the shape of a pitcher, but of a large cup,
wide mouth and tapers to a narrower base - as in the shape of a bell, the
other Zhong...

I still don't see the terms tea pillow though, I'll rig up the old books and
check...

Danny

[...]

A basic Chinese tea set (?? cháqě) consists of a teapot (??
cháhú) which sits on a 'tea sea' (?? cháhai). Tea is poured
into a a 'scent cup' (??? wénxiangbei) and then into a teacup
(?? chábei) before drinking.
There is one scent cup for every teacup and each pair occupies its own
tray (?? tuopán).
A tea set should also include a set of tools (?? chájů): a scoop
(?? chásháo), a pair of tongs (?? chájiá) and a pick
(?? chádiao)
Some optional extras include a jar (?? chágang) for used tea
leaves (and sometimes waste water); a 'lotus leaf' (?? cháhé) for
displaying and inspecting used tea leaves; a pitcher (??
cházhong) for serving the tea; and a 'cushion' (?? chádiŕn) to
keep the teapot warm. You will probably also want a tea cloth (??
chájin) to mop up spills!
No agreement exists over the names of many of these items. Some people
call the pitcher a 'fairness cup' (??? gongdŕobei).
Confusingly, the pitcher is sometimes called the 'tea sea' ??
cháhai; the tea sea is then called the 'tea pillow' (??
cházhen) or 'tea board' (?? chában). The teapot is sometimes
romantically referred to as the 'tea boat' (variously ?? cháchuán
or ?? cháting, which extends the metaphor of the 'tea sea'). The
term ?? may also refer to a dish of hot water in which the tea pot
is kept warm. The tea cup is also called the 'tasting cup' (???
pinmíngbei). The scoop can also be called a 'chooser'/'selector'
(?? cházé). The pick is sometimes also referred to as ??
chátong (which roughly translates as 'a tool for unobstructing a
teapot') or ?? zhachí ('spoon for dregs').

samarkand wrote:
> It's not a "tea clock" Jim, but a "tea container" ÖŃ.
>
> Tea pillow is the pillow stuffed with dried tea leaves for health purpose,
> where did you come across this definition as a tea vessel? Are you sure
> it
> is not Chacheng ˛čłĐ?
>
> Teaboard is another term I've not familiar with, where did you get the
> definition from? A close match is Chapan ˛čĹĚ...however, both items are
> not
> tea vessels.
>
> Danny - hoping this unicode works out...

samarkand

Of course, sherdwen, you are a foreigner learning chinese, there will be
terms which seems right to you, but to us native speakers, it seems kinda
weird sometimes, so we prefer to retain the romanized spelling of the word,
like 'I Ching' (Wade-Giles) or 'Yi Jing' (Pinyin) - hard to call it The
Book of Books, or The Book of Analects, does it?

Danny

"sherdwen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> hey danny i understand what you mean about letting them learn about the
> tea/language by keeping it a literal translation, good point, but i
> still disagree :P heheh

kuri

"samarkand" > wrote in message

> I still don't see the terms tea pillow though, I'll rig up the old books

and
> check...

There are people that obviously call the $B38CV(B a $B38Km(B...and some use a big $B38(B
$BKm(B as a tray for the pot, so that becomes a tea pillow too ?
Also, how do you call a *cosy* in Chinese ? In Japan$B!"(BI've seen $BCcD[Km(B in a
department store. That was really a pillow with a small pot lost inside. I
don't remember from which tribe they said that came. They asked an awful
price for that very kitsch article.

Kuri (that decided to put her teapot on a nali and pour the tea in a zhege)

Scott Dorsey

Lewis Perin > wrote:
>"Space Cowboy" > writes:
>
>> I'm going to try this and probably won't work because this post wasn't
>> Unicode but I'll try one last time to get Google to honor Unicode after
>> the fact.

>But Sherdwen sent the Chinese characters in UTF-8, which *is* a common
>Unicode encoding.

In general, google is not very good about such things. Even if the headers
state the proper encoding, google really does not handle it properly unless
it is (ugh) MIME-encoded.
--scott
Lewis Perin

"sherdwen" > writes:

> [...Unicode...]
> my question is whats the difference between unicode 8, unicode
> and big endian.

There's more information than you probably want at

http://anubis.dkuug.dk/CEN/TC304/guide/gucsch00.htm

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
sherdwen

cowboys and clocks..
i seen an earlier post telling jim that .."it is not a tea clock", i
laughed because the word cha zhong .... i mean zhong if written in
chinese incorrectly will sound like zhong but written like clock,
hahahha thats what you get when playing around with translation
software... i like the name babelfish or altabable, because most of it
is just babel crap,,, dont get me wrong i use these stites too for i
cant read chinese, can speak some, read very very skoshi...
sherdwn

samarkand

Hi Sherdwen,

No, It is not, I think I did reply some thread back that Jim was right, the
Zhong is indeed 'Clock', and the usage was correct, at least in The Dream of
the Red Mansion (Hong Lou Meng).

Cha Zhong (as in Clock, or rather, Bell) was an archaic term, an earlier
form of Zhong (as in Bowl).

It was used in conjunction with wine in most usage, as a wine vessel in the
shape of a inverted bell.

In mid Qing it was loosely applicable to tea vessel. But the usuage is not
common nowadays.

Danny

"sherdwen" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> cowboys and clocks..
> i seen an earlier post telling jim that .."it is not a tea clock", i
> laughed because the word cha zhong .... i mean zhong if written in
> chinese incorrectly will sound like zhong but written like clock,
> hahahha thats what you get when playing around with translation
> software... i like the name babelfish or altabable, because most of it
> is just babel crap,,, dont get me wrong i use these stites too for i
> cant read chinese, can speak some, read very very skoshi...
> sherdwn

Space Cowboy

I would like to lookup a Chinese character in a radical dictionary
without the pinyin language and computer unicode crutches. I know
about radicals and strokes but that doesn't do me anygood.

Jim

sherdwen wrote:
> cowboys and clocks..
> i seen an earlier post telling jim that .."it is not a tea clock", i
> laughed because the word cha zhong .... i mean zhong if written in
> chinese incorrectly will sound like zhong but written like clock,
> hahahha thats what you get when playing around with translation
> software... i like the name babelfish or altabable, because most of it
> is just babel crap,,, dont get me wrong i use these stites too for i
> cant read chinese, can speak some, read very very skoshi...
> sherdwn

Lewis Perin

"Space Cowboy" > writes:

> I would like to lookup a Chinese character in a radical dictionary
> without the pinyin language and computer unicode crutches. I know
> about radicals and strokes but that doesn't do me anygood.

I'm not sure what you're looking for. Could you be more specific?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Space Cowboy

Here is the character for tea on the Zhongwen site:
http://zhongwen.com/d/175/x249.htm

You and I look it up in our dictionaries using English or Pinyin. The
Chinese look it up using strokes/radicals which Zhongwen also provides.
I have no clue to the number of strokes or the radical in this
character. The second frame is the etymology of the pictogram which is
unrelated to the strokes or radical.

I found a backdoor to Zhongwhen using Unicodes. The website does not
provide one perse. Here is the one for tea where you insert the
Unicode at the end of the string:
http://zhongwen.com/cgi-bin/zi3.cgi?uni=8336
Since it is stingy in showing the character you click on:
"THIS CHARACTER in Chinese characters" which links back to the
etymology. There are other usefull links.

Jim

Lewis Perin wrote:
> "Space Cowboy" > writes:
>
> > I would like to lookup a Chinese character in a radical dictionary
> > without the pinyin language and computer unicode crutches. I know
> > about radicals and strokes but that doesn't do me anygood.

> I'm not sure what you're looking for. Could you be more specific?
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Jenn

hey maybe I might knowthat or maybe I can take a guess. whats the name
of that vessel.. Could it be Faircup? I have heard that word in the tea
brewing ,uh somewhere,, Uh I heard or read. Ok I guessed but am I
right or not?