Default Herbal tea which tastes like black

Does anyone know of a herbal tea which tastes like the normal,black
one?
Thanks

Scott Dorsey

>Does anyone know of a herbal tea which tastes like the normal,black
>one?

Well, black tea _is_ an herb.

But no, other than that, I don't know of anything. Why would you want
such a thing?
--scott

I like black tea but was recommended to reduce caffeine and tanin
intake so I'm looking for a herbal tea with the closest color and taste.

Scott Dorsey

In article .com>,
> wrote:
>I like black tea but was recommended to reduce caffeine and tanin
>intake so I'm looking for a herbal tea with the closest color and taste.

You can get decaffeinated black tea, or you can do the usual fast-presoak
trick yourself to remove much of the caffeine.

But a lot of the taste of the tea comes from the tannins. If you took
the tannins out, it wouldn't taste like tea.

You could try something like the Turkish Caykur teas, which have less
tannic acid than most of them.
--scott

Thank you very much for your reply.
How do you presoak it?

Bluesea

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thank you very much for your reply.
> How do you presoak it?

You may read the "Decaff (green) tea?" thread started by Ole Kvaal on
8/19/05 or google this group. The procedure is the same.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Scott Dorsey

>Thank you very much for your reply.
>How do you presoak it?

Put the basket in the cup, pour boiling water in. Shake it around for
half a minute or so, then pull the basket out, pour the water out,
then put the basket in and pour water in to make tea. Since the caffeine
is very soluble, it mostly comes out in the first wash. The taste of
the tea is affected somewhat, but it's still much better-tasting than
the commercially decaffeinated teas I have tried.
--scott