Mårten Nilsson

Default Tea with Rum

I've read about people drinking tea with rum.
Has anyone tried this? What tea? What rum? Sugar?

/Mårten

kuri

"Mårten Nilsson" > wrote in message news:

> I've read about people drinking tea with rum.

Tea-punch ?

> Has anyone tried this?

Sure.

> What tea?

Any tea is Ok to cure hangover the next day.

>What rum?

From the Martinique

> Sugar?

Syrup

Here is the explanation in English

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1098.html

Kuri

Mårten Nilsson

"kuri" > skrev i meddelandet

> "Mårten Nilsson" > wrote in message news:
>
>> I've read about people drinking tea with rum.

> Tea-punch ?
>
>> Has anyone tried this?

> Sure.
>
>> What tea?

> Any tea is Ok to cure hangover the next day.
>
>>What rum?

> From the Martinique
>
>> Sugar?

> Syrup
>
> Here is the explanation in English
>
> http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1098.html
>
> Kuri

Seems interesting, is this a hot or cold drink?

Michael Vondung

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:06:10 +0200, Mårten Nilsson wrote:

> I've read about people drinking tea with rum.
> Has anyone tried this?

It's fairly common at the German northcoast and on the islands. People
there usually use black tea (any brand), rum (4 cl) and brown sugar. The
rum I have seen used is called "tea rum" and comes in small bottles that
are sold in tea and souvenir shops. The drink is called "Ostfriesentee".

M.
Michael Plant

Michael /1/05

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:06:10 +0200, Mårten Nilsson wrote:
>
>> I've read about people drinking tea with rum.
>> Has anyone tried this?

> It's fairly common at the German northcoast and on the islands. People
> there usually use black tea (any brand), rum (4 cl) and brown sugar. The
> rum I have seen used is called "tea rum" and comes in small bottles that
> are sold in tea and souvenir shops. The drink is called "Ostfriesentee".
>
> M.

Hey and Ho,

In Ecuador, and most likely other places throughout South America, a strong
distillation is made from sugar cane, to which is sometimes added the peels
of fruits for flavor. This stuff is available in liquor stores and
supermarkets and the like for not very much money by US standards. Better is
to hop up (or down) to a town such as Canicali, where families engage in the
cottage industry of preparing the brew in vats and barrels and stills, and
sell said brew at somewhere around fifty or sixty cents (USC) a litre.
Tastes damned good too, maintaining some of the cane essence, and packing a
wollop, the fruited version being somewhat tamer.

I brought some decent oolong down with me this time, not to mentioned a nice
YiXing Gung-fu pot, which hit the table every other day or so. One day I
started off with the tea, but some of the aforementioned liquid found its
way to the table inadvertently, causing something of a mix. Not that this
has much to do with the questions you guys raised about tea and rum. But,
it's the best I can do by way of contribution.

For context let me add that I just returned from Ecuador where I spent
nearly six weeks. Let me also say that I purposely misspelled the name of
the town in order to keep the source private.

Michael

Scott Dorsey

Michael Vondung > wrote:
>On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:06:10 +0200, Mårten Nilsson wrote:
>
>> I've read about people drinking tea with rum.
>> Has anyone tried this?

>It's fairly common at the German northcoast and on the islands. People
>there usually use black tea (any brand), rum (4 cl) and brown sugar. The
>rum I have seen used is called "tea rum" and comes in small bottles that
>are sold in tea and souvenir shops. The drink is called "Ostfriesentee".

This is served hot or cold?
--scott

sherdwen

i dont really recommend tea and alcohol but if you use
"baihao/whitetip/manderinbeauty oolong" and brandy, OX.... it is great
iced!!
sherdwen.
http://teaarts.blogspot.com/

Michael Vondung

On 1 Sep 2005 08:11:41 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> This is served hot or cold?

It is served hot. They often have bad, wet and windy weather "up there",
and tea with rum is one way to get quickly warm.

The tea shops in that area also sell brown sugar pieces soaked in rum,
which seems quite popular, too. I still have a small glass jar from a visit
a few years ago -- it says "Teezucker mit Jamaika-Rum" (tea sugar with
Jamaican rum).

I'm not a huge fan of black tea (my body doesn't take it too well, mostly
drinking white tea), but at the ocassions I did try black tea with rum, it
was quite the delicious experience. It's not enough rum to get drunk, it
just adds an interesting flavour and makes you feel warm on the inside.

M.