Mydnight

Default The importance of water.

After reading the thread about the reverse osmosis in Toronto, I felt
compelled to share some of my recent experiences regarding water
quality. During one of my recent travels to my friend's hometown of
Xinfeng in Northern Guangdong province, I was visiting one of the local
swimming spots when I saw some children drinking water from a small
dribble coming from one of the rocks on the mountain. The swimming
area is a small series of waterfalls rushing down the side of a
mountain in such a way that it creates small, relatively deep, fresh
pools of water that you can swim, dive, or relax in. We climbed up to
the top of the rocks where the children were, and they said it was a
natural spring and it's safe to drink the water there. Upon further
investigation, by no means scientific, we found the water to be clear,
clean, a little sweet, and very cold. The next day, we returned with
many empty bottles of the local "spring" water and filled them directly
from the source of the spring. It was very interesting to note that
after you filled a bottle, the outside of the bottle had the appearance
that you just took it out of the refrigerator; it was so cold and had
condensation.

The tea we had available to test the water was some Autumn 04 mid grade
Tie Guan Yin, high grade A Li Shan Chu Lu, and some shu-sheng 70/30 mix
pu'er from a newer factory that opened in 1999; decent stuff. The
water that we had beforehand was also pretty good; though, only tap
water, Xinfeng's water source comes from an unpolluted reservoir and
tastes like well water. When we finally got to brewing the tea (gongfu
style), the first and most noticable aspect was the tea xiang wei
(smell) that eminated from gaiwan. The scent was as was as if it was
top grade, first pick. The Tie Guan Yin was as sweet as it was in the
Autumn of last year, with full flavored freshness and excellent hui gan
and kou gan. With the other teas, it was the same: It was the water
that resurrected the slightly old tea.

The moral of the story, I suppose, would be find the best quality water
that you can possibly find; tap water simply WILL NOT do. Also, go
climbing mountains to find water if you can!

The Importance of A/B Testing roryalec3 Sushi 0 10-03-2012 01:48 PM
Importance Notice !! [email protected] General Cooking 1 01-01-2008 12:04 AM
Importance Notice !! [email protected] General Cooking 0 31-12-2007 12:56 AM
The importance of milk Stella Vegan 9 29-12-2006 02:15 AM
The importance of water. Mydnight Tea 12 27-08-2005 02:59 AM