FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   Iced tea blends (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/67423-iced-tea-blends.html)

Rob 11-08-2005 01:34 AM

Iced tea blends

The bigger national brands (Lipton & Tetley)sell blends especially for
making iced tea; the advantage is supposed to be that these blends do
not get cloudy when chilled. However, I am wondering if the quality of
tea in these blends is the same as the quality used in their hot tea
blends. I've read that most of the tea used in instant iced tea mixes
(which I do not use)comes from Argentina, and Argentine tea is not
supposed to be great quality. Would this tea be used in iced tea bags
as well?

Does using "hot" tea bags for iced tea result in a superior brew or
does it make any difference?

Rob

toci 11-08-2005 02:57 AM

I've never noticed any special difference, and I've never seen iced tea
get cloudy. I think any black tea will do, tho you might not want to
sqander expensive tea. Darjeeling nonsurprisingly makes weak iced tea,
and I haven't cared much for my experiments with green or white iced
tea. But I drank them. Sometimes I use one teabag of a tisane to
three teabags of black tea. Toci