Scott Dorsey

Default Kalami Tea Revisited

Okay, I asked earlier about "Kalami" and "Barooti" teas, which are sold
to the middle eastern market.

I had thought all of these teas were Assam, although recently I found a
Chinese tea in a Persian market in Washington which claimed to be "Kalami
of Yunnan." But most of them are.

It turns out, and I want to thank my local Persian acoustician for the
translation, that "Baroot" means "gunpowder" in Persia, and that the
BOP-sized tea is sold as "Barooti" meaning like gunpowder.

He said that "Gulabi" is a Persian word meaning "rose water," but he
didn't see how that applied to tea. He thinks "Kalami" is an Arabic
transliteration, and says anything with a G in it is not Arabic.

Anyway, so this is a little bit more information about all this tea
that I have been drinking....
--scott
Space Cowboy

My local stores couldn't tell me Barooti means gunpowder. However what
average American would recognize the word gunpowder meaning tea. It is
also like the Asian stores where nobody speaks English but they take
AE. The leaf I've seen is BOP and not curled like gunpowder. It isn't
even green. I still haven't satisfied myself on the use of Kalami.
The Arabic Royal World brand says Kalmi(missing A) Orange Pekoe Ceylon.
So in a sense I think they mean whole leaf. Kalami/Ghalami is the
whole leaf assam you see in the Arabic stores. Gulabi is the name of a
Company.

Jim

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Okay, I asked earlier about "Kalami" and "Barooti" teas, which are sold
> to the middle eastern market.
>
> I had thought all of these teas were Assam, although recently I found a
> Chinese tea in a Persian market in Washington which claimed to be "Kalami
> of Yunnan." But most of them are.
>
> It turns out, and I want to thank my local Persian acoustician for the
> translation, that "Baroot" means "gunpowder" in Persia, and that the
> BOP-sized tea is sold as "Barooti" meaning like gunpowder.
>
> He said that "Gulabi" is a Persian word meaning "rose water," but he
> didn't see how that applied to tea. He thinks "Kalami" is an Arabic
> transliteration, and says anything with a G in it is not Arabic.
>
> Anyway, so this is a little bit more information about all this tea
> that I have been drinking....
> --scott

Scott Dorsey

Lewis Perin > wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) writes:

>> Okay, I asked earlier about "Kalami" and "Barooti" teas, which are sold
>> to the middle eastern market.
>>
>> I had thought all of these teas were Assam, although recently I found a
>> Chinese tea in a Persian market in Washington which claimed to be "Kalami
>> of Yunnan." But most of them are.

>Have you tried that possibly Yunnan tea? And, if so, did it look and
>taste like a Yunnan red/black?

It was clearly black tea. I did not try it, but I could probably go back
and get the box.

>> It turns out, and I want to thank my local Persian acoustician for the
>> translation, that "Baroot" means "gunpowder" in Persia, and that the
>> BOP-sized tea is sold as "Barooti" meaning like gunpowder.
>>
>> He said that "Gulabi" is a Persian word meaning "rose water," but he
>> didn't see how that applied to tea.

>Rose-*scented* tea isn't terribly unusual. Could that be it?

No, the Kalami/Gulabi tea is a full-leaf Assam tea, no scenting. It has
a vaguely peachlike smell sometimes when it's fresh, and it's very clearly
a continuously-picked commodity tea.
--scott

Scott Dorsey

Space Cowboy > wrote:
>My local stores couldn't tell me Barooti means gunpowder. However what
>average American would recognize the word gunpowder meaning tea. It is
>also like the Asian stores where nobody speaks English but they take
>AE. The leaf I've seen is BOP and not curled like gunpowder. It isn't
>even green.

Right, it is in no relation to the Chinese "green gunpowder" tea. In
fact, the Chinese "gunpowder" tea isn't much like gunpowder at all. It's
much grainier even than a blasting powder. The Barooti, like a typical
BOP, is about the consistency of a rifle powder.

So I am willing to bet there is no connection between the two uses.

> I still haven't satisfied myself on the use of Kalami.
>The Arabic Royal World brand says Kalmi(missing A) Orange Pekoe Ceylon.
> So in a sense I think they mean whole leaf. Kalami/Ghalami is the
>whole leaf assam you see in the Arabic stores. Gulabi is the name of a
>Company.

No, I have seen Gulabi used by a large number of companies, and it is
clearly not an Arabic word since they do not use the G. I'm willing to
bet on the Persian translation, but I'm curious how it got used and why.

And I don't know what Kalami/Ghalami/Kalmi really means or what language
it's in. This is what I started out trying to figure out.
--scott

Space Cowboy

Gulabi is one corporate brand name, Mumtaz is another, of
G.A.Randerian(Gar) Limited, Calcutta. Sort of a Unilever of the Middle
East. Their corporate logo (Shield with G.A.R LTD) is a registered
trademark in Iran no 15873. Gulabi also has a registered trademark no
155569. This information comes from their Gulabi Kalmi teabox. I
can't find their Gulabi Barooti box for any more trademark protection.
Gulabi is to Iran/Middle East as Lipton is to the US/West. Ahmad
describes their Barooti tea as "A premium blend of Golden Broken Assam
Leaf tea from the best gardens of the picturesque Brahmaputra Valley in
Norhtern India." Their Kalami tea starts with "A premium blend of
golden long leaf Assam..." Other companies that sell Barooti/Kalmi are
Shiva, Shahrzad, Shiva. I have the boxes. The letter S must be
popular in Arabic.

Jim

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > I still haven't satisfied myself on the use of Kalami.
> >The Arabic Royal World brand says Kalmi(missing A) Orange Pekoe Ceylon.
> > So in a sense I think they mean whole leaf. Kalami/Ghalami is the
> >whole leaf assam you see in the Arabic stores. Gulabi is the name of a
> >Company.

> No, I have seen Gulabi used by a large number of companies, and it is
> clearly not an Arabic word since they do not use the G. I'm willing to
> bet on the Persian translation, but I'm curious how it got used and why.
>
> And I don't know what Kalami/Ghalami/Kalmi really means or what language
> it's in. This is what I started out trying to figure out.
> --scott

Scott Dorsey

In article .com>,
Space Cowboy > wrote:
>Gulabi is one corporate brand name, Mumtaz is another, of
>G.A.Randerian(Gar) Limited, Calcutta. Sort of a Unilever of the Middle
>East. Their corporate logo (Shield with G.A.R LTD) is a registered
>trademark in Iran no 15873. Gulabi also has a registered trademark no
>155569. This information comes from their Gulabi Kalmi teabox. I
>can't find their Gulabi Barooti box for any more trademark protection.

Okay, I can buy that, although I have seen teas in a lot of different
boxes sold as "Gulabi" although that may be due to various sorts of
infringement. Next time I am at the Persian market up in Washington DC,
I will check things out.

I will not drink "The Famous Brand" Mumtaz, after finding an enormous
roach in a box about twenty years ago. It was very dessicated and had
clearly been processed with the tea at least somewhat.

>Gulabi is to Iran/Middle East as Lipton is to the US/West. Ahmad
>describes their Barooti tea as "A premium blend of Golden Broken Assam
>Leaf tea from the best gardens of the picturesque Brahmaputra Valley in
>Norhtern India." Their Kalami tea starts with "A premium blend of
>golden long leaf Assam..." Other companies that sell Barooti/Kalmi are
>Shiva, Shahrzad, Shiva. I have the boxes. The letter S must be
>popular in Arabic.

Makes completely sense.

I am now advised that "Kalam" is cabbage in Persian, and that therefore
"Kalami" means cabbagelike. That also makes perfect sense.
--scott
Space Cowboy

I'm sure I have all the Arabic brands of Kalmi and Barooti. There are
about 10 stores serving our Arabic community. I've only seen the
Gulabi name on their two boxes. If they're using that name for other
teas I haven't seen it. I've discovered that Kalmi and Barooti are
particular marketing terms for Iran only and not used generally
elsewhere even though some brand of each lines the shelves of every
store. As I said in another post awhile back this might something
similar to a Arabic 'kosher'. I checked Arabic blogs such as
http://behnoudonline.com/ and you will see transliteration starting
with G. You'll have to drill down to see it in the people who reply
because they don't have the language pack. Tea is an agricultural
product and we've discussed foreign matter in the past which is why I
always boil my water. I've seen somethings in my wild tree green puerh
log which would probably interest my health department.

Jim

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> In article .com>,
> Space Cowboy > wrote:
> >Gulabi is one corporate brand name, Mumtaz is another, of
> >G.A.Randerian(Gar) Limited, Calcutta. Sort of a Unilever of the Middle
> >East. Their corporate logo (Shield with G.A.R LTD) is a registered
> >trademark in Iran no 15873. Gulabi also has a registered trademark no
> >155569. This information comes from their Gulabi Kalmi teabox. I
> >can't find their Gulabi Barooti box for any more trademark protection.

> Okay, I can buy that, although I have seen teas in a lot of different
> boxes sold as "Gulabi" although that may be due to various sorts of
> infringement. Next time I am at the Persian market up in Washington DC,
> I will check things out.
>
> I will not drink "The Famous Brand" Mumtaz, after finding an enormous
> roach in a box about twenty years ago. It was very dessicated and had
> clearly been processed with the tea at least somewhat.
>
> >Gulabi is to Iran/Middle East as Lipton is to the US/West. Ahmad
> >describes their Barooti tea as "A premium blend of Golden Broken Assam
> >Leaf tea from the best gardens of the picturesque Brahmaputra Valley in
> >Norhtern India." Their Kalami tea starts with "A premium blend of
> >golden long leaf Assam..." Other companies that sell Barooti/Kalmi are
> >Shiva, Shahrzad, Shiva. I have the boxes. The letter S must be
> >popular in Arabic.

> Makes completely sense.
>
> I am now advised that "Kalam" is cabbage in Persian, and that therefore
> "Kalami" means cabbagelike. That also makes perfect sense.
> --scott

Horseradish revisited A Moose in Love General Cooking 24 03-03-2012 02:57 AM
Pesto Revisited The Joneses[_1_] General Cooking 7 25-04-2007 04:48 PM
Rum Pot Revisited Casey Wilson Winemaking 10 14-04-2007 10:17 PM
#2 and #4 cans, revisited JoeSpareBedroom General Cooking 16 09-03-2007 01:50 AM
Kalami/ Gulabi tea Scott Dorsey Tea 4 01-07-2005 03:42 PM