Old 28-07-2005, 10:51 AM
crymad

Eric Jorgensen wrote:
Cast iron pots are traditional for some japanese teas and have
their advantages but they also demand more maintenance. I have
a small Kafuh tetsubin i use from time to time.

How traditional and for what teas? In all my years living in
Japan, I never once saw someone use a tetsubin for brewing tea.
Boiling water, yes. But not brewing. Those porcelain-glaze on
the inside tetsubin that were all the rage here in the US some
years back seem exclusively an export item. Sort of like those
enormous "Kamado" barbecues that Playboy-age, swinging
suburbanites took a shine to in the 60's and 70's. An amusing
comparison, as these were ceramic glazed:

http://www.kamado.com/history.htm

--crymad

Old 28-07-2005, 03:16 PM
kuri

"crymad" wrote in message

Sort of like those
enormous "Kamado" barbecues that Playboy-age, swinging
suburbanites took a shine to in the 60's and 70's. An amusing
comparison, as these were ceramic glazed:

http://www.kamado.com/history.htm

I didn't know you could buy eggs of godzilla. They already have an
importator for Japan ?

Kuri

Old 28-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Eric Jorgensen

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:57:40 +0100
danube wrote:

Anybody got numbers for the specific heat, thermal conductivity, and
density of popular ceramics?

If you are worried about heat retention of a vessel, and you want to keep
the heat within the teapot for a long time, go for a thermoflask, made of
glass (it will be coated with reflective aluminium layers within the
vacuum space).

I prefer stainless steel vacuum bottles. Which i also pre-heat.

Why? More durable, and if you get the Thermos-Nissan variant, superior
vacuum anyway. There is thermal contact at the neck, but not very much.
Old 29-07-2005, 05:43 PM
Lara Burton

I use a small 1-person pot made by Beehouse, a Japanese company. I think
Adagio carries it also.

Also have an IngenuiTEA, but like the teapot better. Mostly because I don't
have a teacup/mug large enough to hold the tea after it's steeped in the
IngenuiTEA.

oups.com...
As a starter I'd prefer something convenient rather than fancy.
Try IngenuiTEA at www.adagio.com

Old 29-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Lara Burton

Hey, my husband bought me a Kamado. Love it. Excellent roast chicken,
smoked tri-tip, pulled pork . . .

Old 29-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Eric Jorgensen

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:47:01 GMT
"Lara Burton" wrote:

Hey, my husband bought me a Kamado. Love it. Excellent roast chicken,
smoked tri-tip, pulled pork . . .

The "Big Green Egg" is more popular in the states.
Old 29-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Blues Lyne

"Eric Jorgensen" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:47:01 GMT
"Lara Burton" wrote:

Hey, my husband bought me a Kamado. Love it. Excellent roast chicken,
smoked tri-tip, pulled pork . . .

The "Big Green Egg" is more popular in the states.

I opted for a Weber Smokey Mountain.

Blues

TEAPOTS No Name Tea 9 12-04-2010 08:35 AM
yixing teapots pgwk Tea 0 20-04-2007 05:07 AM
Imperfect Teapots Danica Tea 27 03-12-2006 04:36 AM
Before Teapots Eric3 Tea 13 28-12-2004 12:30 AM
Before Teapots Eric3 Tea 0 24-12-2004 04:17 AM