icetea

Default Wu-Wo Tea Ceremony

http://teaarts.blogspot.com/
..
Alex Chaihorsky

"icetea" > wrote in message
> http://teaarts.blogspot.com/
> .

Isn't Wu Wo Cha Hui is more like Wu Wo Tea Society? And what meaning do you
imply in Wu Wo ("without myself" or in french "sans moi")? It looks on your
taiwanese site like an adoptation of some Japanese ceremoniality... What is
Wu Wo and how different is it from the basic Gong Fu?

Sasha.

samarkand

Hi Steven aka icetea,

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

For those interested, the Wu Wo Tea Ceremony will be held this year in early
November (I believe it's from 2-5 Nov) in Wuyi Shan city. This year's
organiser will be China, last year was Singapore. I hoped you were in
Singapore to feed the mosquitoes? Haha!

Here's my 2-cent worth to Sasha's query:

> Isn't Wu Wo Cha Hui is more like Wu Wo Tea Society? And what meaning do
> you imply in Wu Wo ("without myself" or in french "sans moi")? It looks on
> your taiwanese site like an adoptation of some Japanese ceremoniality...
> What is Wu Wo and how different is it from the basic Gong Fu?

1. I think you may call it a tea society, it is gaining a lot of popularity
in Asia, and is spreading to farther shores. Every country has its own
variation to the ceremony, but the basic steps are similar, and the
philosophy is the same: Sans Moi.

2. Without Me is the central philosophy to Wu Wo Cha Hui. The idea is
based on Selflessness, to share tea with friends or strangers without
restraint, without self-pride. Compared to Gong Fu Cha, it is leaned
towards the social gathering to part take the tea, rather than the tea
itself - there's no strict artform to observe, rather, one has to observe
social grace and good manners during the Wu Wo Cha Hui.

3. Interestingly, the Wu Wo Cha Hui is not based on any tea ceremonial
structure, but the the easy simplicity of "traveller's tea kit", comprising
usually of the these few simple items: a thermo flask to hold hot water, 4
cups, 1 pot, a towel to place the cups and pot, and a sitting mat. Several
friends can prepare their own set, and bring along on an outing. When the
time comes to sit and relax, the items are rolled out and each person will
prepare the tea they have brought with them, then when it is ready, the tea
is delivered to the next 4 persons on his or her left, in this manner, each
person will have several cups of tea infront of them. The tea is drunk, the
cups returned, and the process is repeated.

4. The pictures that you see which looked like a seminar, is an exchange of
tea art. People from all over the world will bring along their cultural tea
artform, or an artform they created, and showcase it on the 2nd nite of the
Wu Wo Cha Hui. It is interesting to see all kinds of artform under one
roof, and some of them are very entertaining. I recalled one in Japan,
where an old lady performed sencha chado. It was a short performance, but
her moves entralled the audience that one could hear a pin drop.

Danny

Melinda

Hi Danny..this is really neat, I am interested in finding out more about
this organization..do you have any contact info here in the US that I might
be able to write to to get more information? I like it when I can take my
tea out in the "world" and also share it with others...very cool!!

Melinda

--
"I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows,
and Henry knows we know it."

We're a knowledgeable family." ::smiles:: -Geoffrey, Lion in Winter
"samarkand" > wrote in message
> Hi Steven aka icetea,
>
> Thanks for sharing the pictures.
>
> For those interested, the Wu Wo Tea Ceremony will be held this year in
> early November (I believe it's from 2-5 Nov) in Wuyi Shan city. This
> year's organiser will be China, last year was Singapore. I hoped you were
> in Singapore to feed the mosquitoes? Haha!
>
> Here's my 2-cent worth to Sasha's query:
>
>> Isn't Wu Wo Cha Hui is more like Wu Wo Tea Society? And what meaning do
>> you imply in Wu Wo ("without myself" or in french "sans moi")? It looks
>> on your taiwanese site like an adoptation of some Japanese
>> ceremoniality... What is Wu Wo and how different is it from the basic
>> Gong Fu?
>>

> 1. I think you may call it a tea society, it is gaining a lot of
> popularity in Asia, and is spreading to farther shores. Every country has
> its own variation to the ceremony, but the basic steps are similar, and
> the philosophy is the same: Sans Moi.
>
> 2. Without Me is the central philosophy to Wu Wo Cha Hui. The idea is
> based on Selflessness, to share tea with friends or strangers without
> restraint, without self-pride. Compared to Gong Fu Cha, it is leaned
> towards the social gathering to part take the tea, rather than the tea
> itself - there's no strict artform to observe, rather, one has to observe
> social grace and good manners during the Wu Wo Cha Hui.
>
> 3. Interestingly, the Wu Wo Cha Hui is not based on any tea ceremonial
> structure, but the the easy simplicity of "traveller's tea kit",
> comprising usually of the these few simple items: a thermo flask to hold
> hot water, 4 cups, 1 pot, a towel to place the cups and pot, and a sitting
> mat. Several friends can prepare their own set, and bring along on an
> outing. When the time comes to sit and relax, the items are rolled out
> and each person will prepare the tea they have brought with them, then
> when it is ready, the tea is delivered to the next 4 persons on his or her
> left, in this manner, each person will have several cups of tea infront of
> them. The tea is drunk, the cups returned, and the process is repeated.
>
> 4. The pictures that you see which looked like a seminar, is an exchange
> of tea art. People from all over the world will bring along their
> cultural tea artform, or an artform they created, and showcase it on the
> 2nd nite of the Wu Wo Cha Hui. It is interesting to see all kinds of
> artform under one roof, and some of them are very entertaining. I
> recalled one in Japan, where an old lady performed sencha chado. It was a
> short performance, but her moves entralled the audience that one could
> hear a pin drop.
>
> Danny

samarkand

hi Melinda,

I'll contact the Taiwan head office for you, in the meantime, perhaps icetea
may know?

Danny

samarkand

Oops. Here it is:

In North America:

Contact: Mrs Eva Ohmson, phone: 01-719-531-3554, fax: 01-719-598-0749

Contact: Ms Jessie Tsai, phone: 01-724-443-0572, email:

In Canada:

Contact: Ms Susan Lai, 6975 Marlborough Ave., Burnaby, BC, V5J 4G6, Canada

This is the link to Wu-wo website, but it is in Chinese. The above info are
found there as well as contact info for other countries:

http://www.wu-wotea.com.tw/

Danny

Alex Chaihorsky

Thanks, Danny -
I guess we will see in the future if this will fly... I am cautious....
Every time I see ceremonialism "invented" I keep my radars tuned...

Sasha.

"samarkand" > wrote in message
> Hi Steven aka icetea,
>
> Thanks for sharing the pictures.
>
> For those interested, the Wu Wo Tea Ceremony will be held this year in
> early November (I believe it's from 2-5 Nov) in Wuyi Shan city. This
> year's organiser will be China, last year was Singapore. I hoped you were
> in Singapore to feed the mosquitoes? Haha!
>
> Here's my 2-cent worth to Sasha's query:
>
>> Isn't Wu Wo Cha Hui is more like Wu Wo Tea Society? And what meaning do
>> you imply in Wu Wo ("without myself" or in french "sans moi")? It looks
>> on your taiwanese site like an adoptation of some Japanese
>> ceremoniality... What is Wu Wo and how different is it from the basic
>> Gong Fu?
>>

> 1. I think you may call it a tea society, it is gaining a lot of
> popularity in Asia, and is spreading to farther shores. Every country has
> its own variation to the ceremony, but the basic steps are similar, and
> the philosophy is the same: Sans Moi.
>
> 2. Without Me is the central philosophy to Wu Wo Cha Hui. The idea is
> based on Selflessness, to share tea with friends or strangers without
> restraint, without self-pride. Compared to Gong Fu Cha, it is leaned
> towards the social gathering to part take the tea, rather than the tea
> itself - there's no strict artform to observe, rather, one has to observe
> social grace and good manners during the Wu Wo Cha Hui.
>
> 3. Interestingly, the Wu Wo Cha Hui is not based on any tea ceremonial
> structure, but the the easy simplicity of "traveller's tea kit",
> comprising usually of the these few simple items: a thermo flask to hold
> hot water, 4 cups, 1 pot, a towel to place the cups and pot, and a sitting
> mat. Several friends can prepare their own set, and bring along on an
> outing. When the time comes to sit and relax, the items are rolled out
> and each person will prepare the tea they have brought with them, then
> when it is ready, the tea is delivered to the next 4 persons on his or her
> left, in this manner, each person will have several cups of tea infront of
> them. The tea is drunk, the cups returned, and the process is repeated.
>
> 4. The pictures that you see which looked like a seminar, is an exchange
> of tea art. People from all over the world will bring along their
> cultural tea artform, or an artform they created, and showcase it on the
> 2nd nite of the Wu Wo Cha Hui. It is interesting to see all kinds of
> artform under one roof, and some of them are very entertaining. I
> recalled one in Japan, where an old lady performed sencha chado. It was a
> short performance, but her moves entralled the audience that one could
> hear a pin drop.
>
> Danny

samarkand

Haha! Same here too!

Danny

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
> Thanks, Danny -
> I guess we will see in the future if this will fly... I am cautious....
> Every time I see ceremonialism "invented" I keep my radars tuned...
>
> Sasha.

Livio Zanini

Thank you Steven and all the people giving information about Wuwo Chahui on
this newsgroup. I think this year I will take part to the meeting in
Wuyishan. I could not go to Singapore last year, but I took part to 1999 and
2001 editions, being the only "big nose" of the whole meeting both times. Is
there any body else from Europe interested in it?
Livio

"icetea" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> http://teaarts.blogspot.com/
> .

Melinda

I hear ya...I'm more interested in any kind of social group that has getting
together and having tea and fun as more my focus then the actual
ceremonialism of it. I'll have to investigate furthue to see if that's
really what it's like!

Thanks very much for the info Danny, I'll look into it!

Melinda

--

"samarkand" > wrote in message
> Haha! Same here too!
>
> Danny
>
> "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
>> Thanks, Danny -
>> I guess we will see in the future if this will fly... I am cautious....
>> Every time I see ceremonialism "invented" I keep my radars tuned...
>>
>> Sasha.

samarkand

Hello Mr Zanini,

Wuyi Wuwo Society has just mailed out their invitation. You should getting
one soon. If not, let me know and I'll forward a copy to you.

Haha, besides being the only 'big nose', I think what everyone remembered
you well by is your fluent command of mandarin.

Danny

Alex Chaihorsky

Would that be "da bi zi"? I was alsways called "da hu zi" because of the
beard...

Sasha.

"samarkand" > wrote in message
> Hello Mr Zanini,
>
> Wuyi Wuwo Society has just mailed out their invitation. You should
> getting one soon. If not, let me know and I'll forward a copy to you.
>
> Haha, besides being the only 'big nose', I think what everyone remembered
> you well by is your fluent command of mandarin.
>
> Danny

Livio Zanini

"samarkand" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hello Mr Zanini,
>
> Wuyi Wuwo Society has just mailed out their invitation. You should

getting
> one soon. If not, let me know and I'll forward a copy to you.
>
> Haha, besides being the only 'big nose', I think what everyone remembered
> you well by is your fluent command of mandarin.

Bugandang!
May I ask where you are from?

icetea

this is icetea/steven i just got back to USA we are going to do a small
wu-wo tea ceremony this month i will post pics. this will be a first
timer wu-wo tea ceremony for los angeles just a local group. i dont
know all the details myself, i have been busy doing other things, hello
Livio Zanini, whats up i think we know each other, (well at least my
email, hahha). some one said "sounds like a society (instead of
ceremony), i have heard before in another group said "they are
skeptical of new ceremonies popping up". i agree to both. the problem
with the ceremony/society/gathering/association, is translation and
tradition. meaning words when translated, are translated literally or
figuratively. sometimes a big headache! .
Wu-Wo, (=E7=84=A1=E6=88=91) is a style of Tea Ceremony, (=E8=8C=B6=E6=9C=83=
)=2E it is more formal
than a gathering or party.
"""Grand Master Tsai, Rong Tsang is diretcor of =E2=80=9CLu-Yu Tea The Fine
Arts of Tea Culture Institute=E2=80=9D and the founder of the =E2=80=9CWu-W=
o Tea
Ceremony=E2=80=9D he has been a crucial part in the growth of this once sma=
ll
group from Taiwan (twenty-some years ago)""". =E2=80=9CWu=E2=80=9D, and =
=E2=80=9CWo=E2=80=9D,
are Chinese words, philosophical meaning. samarkand said, wuwo meant
selflessnes, i like that, it is simple but it is correct. some people
say noself but it is hard to understand the meaning of no-self if one
has no clue to begin with.
some people forget that tea has its roots in china. the first
ritualized drinking of tea lies in china, . while the drinking of tea
was considered to be a common feature in the lives of chinese buddhist
monks, chinese tea is considered to be primarily a secular ritual that
confirmed the feeling of community important, but the chinese ritual
can be said to represent the preliminary stage in the total evolution
of the japanese tea ceremony. the reason today we dont see the ancient
chinese tea ceremonies now, are for two big reasons, colonialism,
cultural revolution. but in taiwan today, they are seeking their
roots, and reinventing some of the past, and seeking cultural identity.
we are in the process of writing/translation the wu-wo tea ceremony
book, it will be in english. i am going to wuyishan also,
here is a summery on the wu-wo tea ceremony.
-----
The Wu Wo tea ceremony

This is a style of tea ceremony where drinkers bring their own tea sets
and sit in a circle. When the ceremony starts, everyone makes tea using
the tea leaves he has brought.. If 4 cups of tea are required, three of
the cups will be served to the three poeple on your left and the last
cup will be reserved for yourself . when the tea has been drunk, a
second infusion will follow. After completing the required number of
infusions, gather your own cups and pack up your tea sets. It has come
to an end.

This is a ceremony where everyone makes serves and drinks tea. as
seating is decided by a random draw. no one knows beforehand who he
will serve tea to or whose tea he will be served. This tea ceremony has
7 principles.

1=2E here is no distinction of social rank

2=2E There are no expectations of a reward

3=2E Keep an open mind

4=2E Adopt a postiive attitude, striving constantly to improve

5=2E Abide by the rules and the arranged scehdule.

6=2E Cultivate cooperation

7=2E There is no differences in sect or region.
Late arrivals are strictly not tolerated.
Wu Wo literally translated means Without self. it is a Buddhist
concept, where one who reaches nirvana will not exist in the physical
plane anymore.
---
take care.=20
icetea........

icetea

alex you talked about "gong fu", from ming dynasty and still done
today, this means to make good tea, leaf tea brewed, not to boil or
cook the tea but to infuse.
here is 2 links. http://www.farleaves.com/gongfu/gongfu01.html
http://chineseteas101.com/kungfu_1.htm

here are some more pics from my folder.
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sherdwen/my_photos
icetea

Space Cowboy

The only ritual is no ritual. Too many sounds of the audience giving a
standing ovation with only one hand clapping. I like the British
approach more socialization less ceremony. They do have a problem with
the time of day and the munchies. I survived a week in the South with
only teabags. Somehow my traveling tea set got left behind. I forgot
iced tea is offered sweetened or unsweetened. I couldn't even find
bubble tea at the truck stops. The Clinton library has a magnificent
Samovar from Yeltsin. Some interesting posts while I was absent.
Maybe I should go visit more often. I have a parcel from China Post.
Wonder what that could be.

Jim

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
> Thanks, Danny -
> I guess we will see in the future if this will fly... I am cautious....
> Every time I see ceremonialism "invented" I keep my radars tuned...
>
> Sasha.

Alex Chaihorsky

"icetea" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> alex you talked about "gong fu", from ming dynasty and still done
> today, this means to make good tea, leaf tea brewed, not to boil or
> cook the tea but to infuse.
> here is 2 links. http://www.farleaves.com/gongfu/gongfu01.html
> http://chineseteas101.com/kungfu_1.htm
>
> here are some more pics from my folder.
> http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sherdwen/my_photos
> icetea

I do not understand what are you referring to. Where did I say "boil" or
"cook"?

Sasha.

icetea

opps...
i know the way i said it, that it sounded like you were saying boiled
or cooked. i just meant that gong-fu was a precise way of making tea
usually with small clay pots, and by controlling the time of infusion
and temperature of water. also at that time period and after "ming
dynasty", the way of making tea was to brew/infuse and then separate
the tea leaves this was a big improvement on control of taste, and
control of bitterness. tang/song dynasty still didnt separate the
leaves so the taste was not as "adjustable".

無我茶會 中英文 Wu-Wo Tea Ceremony English Julien ÉLIE Tea 1 07-03-2011 04:08 PM
µL§Ú¯ù·| ¤¤­^¤å Wu-Wo Tea Ceremony English icetea8 Tea 1 07-03-2011 03:58 PM
Wu-Wo Tea Ceremony ,(無我茶會) icetea Tea 0 03-04-2006 04:35 PM
Wu-Wo Tea Ceremony, (–³‰ä’ƒ˜ð). icetea Tea 0 01-08-2005 07:49 AM
Wu-Wo Tea Ceremony, (–³‰ä’ƒ˜ð). icetea Tea 0 01-08-2005 07:48 AM